Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

bradders90 wrote: »
    When the u2 squad was initially announced a lot was made of O'Hagan (Ulster) being left out. However if you look at his Twitter (@seanohagan10) then you see that he has been injured for at least 8 weeks. Not sure if it has already been mentioned or not. Just thought i'd point it out.

Don't check Twitter myself, but that makes sense. Lots of good players miss out due to injuries, Gaffney and Brewer also not in the squad as they are also injured. I would say that I thought that O'Hagan was a certainty for the squad based on what I saw of him last year but you can't fault young Ross Byrne who is a great player and shown it last Friday night. The back up 10 position would be all that is open for debate and I presume that Carberry and Cleary would give cover for that position. Carolan will pick what he sees best for the squad in a fair way. If he keeps getting results like the French game no one can dispute it. The England game I think will be tougher though.

O'Hagan is a fantastic player and I hope that he comes back from injury and plays like he did at the start of last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭mogwai81

Does anybody have a link for the Ireland/France game. It was great to be able to watch the U20's via the YouTube link someone posted last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a link for the Ireland/France game. It was great to be able to watch the U20's via the YouTube link someone posted last week.
    Wait until this time next week on the day of a game and you'll be more likely to get a positive answer

Anyway Paddy Finlay (Trinity), Dylan Horgan (UCC) and Dan Joyce (Trinity) are in the Canadian under 20 squad that plays Romania and the USA in March and if they beat USA over two legs they qualify for the Junior World Trophy which Is to be played in Portugal

Wait until this time next week on the day of a game and you'll be more likely to get a positive answer

Anyway Paddy Finlay (Trinity), Dylan Horgan (UCC) and Dan Joyce (Trinity) are in the Canadian under 20 squad that plays Romania and the USA in March and if they beat USA over two legs they qualify for the Junior World Trophy which Is to be played in Portugal

I thought that the JWC was in Italy ? Is that a different tier competition the JWT?

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I thought that the JWC was in Italy ? Is that a different tier competition the JWT?
    That's why I said Trophy not Cup. This is the second tier competition for the under 20 sides ranked 13-24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Can you buy tickets on the door for the England game next week?

.ak wrote: »
    Can you buy tickets on the door for the England game next week?
    I assume so but it probably would be better to purchase tickets before hand as id expect a large crowd at the game

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭typhoony

the Capacity is 6000 so you'd expect to able to pay and get in at the gate.

really looking forward to this match

typhoony wrote: »
    the Capacity is 6000 so you'd expect to able to pay and get in at the gate.

really looking forward to this match
    Id get tickets just in case. Dubarry Park gets several thousand to each game and with the potential in this side etc this will sell out with it being first 20s game in Donnybrook in years

• Registered Users Posts: 4 lootenant

was unaware that the team have a training match this evening assumed they would be given the week off to rest. apparently carolan wants them to get used to the donnybrook pitch ahead of the England game. Playing a full match against clontarfs womens team.
    match kicks off at 5, andy skehan refereeing as hhe was spotted across the road in eddie rockets. josh murphy captain

• Advertisement

lootenant wrote: »
    was unaware that the team have a training match this evening assumed they would be given the week off to rest. apparently carolan wants them to get used to the donnybrook pitch ahead of the England game. Playing a full match against clontarfs womens team.
    match kicks off at 5, andy skehan refereeing as hhe was spotted across the road in eddie rockets. josh murphy captain

Wait, the u20s men are playing against the Tarf ladies?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The U20s mens team is playing a game against the Clontarf Womens team? I'm not convinced! Is that even allowed for all sorts of reasons!!

I doubt it. The girls have only started playing this season, a lot of them are new to rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I doubt it. The girls have only started playing this season, a lot of them are new to rugby.

Stink of bias off your post!

Stop making excuses for them!

Buer wrote: »
    Stink of bias off your post!

Stop making excuses for them!

Haha don't get me wrong, I've trained with them but I wouldn't play with them... They'd kill me! ;)

Haha don't get me wrong, I've trained with them but I wouldn't play with them... They'd kill me! ;)

Ah the only time .ak played flanker.

"I told you no binding on the groin with your hand"

"That's not my hand and what's binding?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Is Conor McKeon the sub out-half from last year overage for the 20's?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 irishyouths9

funtime93 wrote: »

yes

I highly doubt they would be playing a womens team. Too much at risk for that. I call b****** on this story. While a match to get used to pitch would sound right they wouldn't play the opposition you name
    funtime93 wrote: »
    Overage

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

I highly doubt they would be playing a womens team. Too much at risk for that. I call b****** on this story. While a match to get used to pitch would sound right they wouldn't play the opposition you name
    Overage

The guys obviously trolling lads...

The guys obviously trolling lads...
    Im bored..

Who do people potentially see joining squad over rest of 6Nations/JWC?

O'Hagan is the obvious one, possibly Conor Young is another but it's going to be difficult for other players to get into a winning squad. of course there will no doubt be injuries so other players will come into the reckoning in certain positions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Im bored..

Frank Ryan of Munster , Andrew Porter , that's about it I think Carolan did a good job picking the guys first time around also like to add McMahon (munster) , the Ulster 13 from the interpros or maybe cormac Brennan , even those guys will probably only make it in if theirs a hord of injuries

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Looking at the headshots, and those who aren't in the squad but are in the headshots include

JJ O'Neill
    Steve McMahon
    Ross Neal
    Ross Todd
    Josh Bingham
    Conor Young
    Andrew Porter
    Liam O'Connor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Ireland Under-20 team & Replacements (v England Under-20. Donnybrook Stadium, Dublin - Kick-off 19.05hrs)
    15 - Billy Dardis (UCD/ Leinster)
    14 - Jack Owens (QUB/ Ulster)
    13 - Garry Ringrose (UCD/ Leinster)
    12 - Sam Arnold (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    11 - Stephen Fitzgerald (Shannon/ Munster)
    10 - Ross Byrne (UCD / Leinster)
    9 - Nick McCarthy (UCD/ Leinster) (Capt)
    1 - Jeremy Loughman (UCD / Leinster)
    2 - Zack McCall (QUB/Ulster)
    3 - Oisin Heffernan (Terenure/Leinster)
    4 - David O'Connor (St. Mary's/Leinster)
    5 - Alex Thompson (QUB/Ulster)
    6 - Josh Murphy (UCD/Leinster)
    7 - Rory Moloney (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    8 - Lorcan Dow (QUB/Ulster)

Replacements
    16 - Adam McBurney (Ballymena/Ulster)
    17 - Michael Lagan (Ballymena/Ulster)
    18 - Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/NUIG/Connacht)
    19 - Cian Romaine (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    20 - Nick Timoney (St. Mary's/Leinster)
    21 - Jack Cullen (Shannon/Munster)
    22 - Joey Carbery (UCD/Leinster)
    23 - Harrison Brewer (Terenure/ Leinster)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭S12b

Im bored..

Carolan said yesterday Gaffney was expected to be fit for Wales game....I'd say he could go straight back into the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,153 ✭✭✭Glass Prison 1214

Will I be safe buying tickets for this on the day or is it expected to be sold out?

I'm sure that tickets will be there on the day.

Fairly settled team now in fairness. Brewer straight in after his return from injury, they must really rate him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I'm sure that tickets will be there on the day.

Fairly settled team now in fairness. Brewer straight in after his return from injury, they must really rate him.

In fairness Brewer has been back playing for Terenure 20's for six weeks at this stage. Surprised Clearys been dropped mind. Is he injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Quint2010 wrote: »
    In fairness Brewer has been back playing for Terenure 20's for six weeks at this stage. Surprised Clearys been dropped mind. Is he injured?

Yes, Cleary picked up minor injury playing for Lansdowne 20's last Sunday.

• Advertisement

Will I be safe buying tickets for this on the day or is it expected to be sold out?

Gonna try and pick up tickets at the door myself.

Quint2010 wrote: »

Concussion

Sean O'Hagan@SeanOHagan10 · Feb 5

Finally my last week of rehab! Been a long 8 weeks out with the Hamstring tear, back to the field next weekend fingers crossed!

he needs to see some 6 nations gametime but not sure if he can be supplemented into the squad

this game is the biggest test for the forwards, they just about held their own agianst the French

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Finally my last week of rehab! Been a long 8 weeks out with the Hamstring tear, back to the field next weekend fingers crossed!

he needs to see some 6 nations gametime but not sure if he can be supplemented into the squad

this game is the biggest test for the forwards, they just about held their own agianst the French

He won't be picked after not playing for 8 weeks, what club is he with?

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    He won't be picked after not playing for 8 weeks, what club is he with?

He's with Queens, he might sneak on to the bench but I don't see how he could oust Byrne....he's one of the most exciting players I've watched at u.20 level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,842 ✭✭✭✭bilston

S12b wrote: »
    He's with Queens, he might sneak on to the bench but I don't see how he could oust Byrne....he's one of the most exciting players I've watched at u.20 level.

Yeah Byrne looks a class act but then again the U20s should be about player development so giving others an opportunity should be part of the gameplan as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Nice to Arnold keep his place after an impressive game against the French, although almost guaranteed to come off around the 60 minute mark for Brewer.
    Vs Italy Cleary --> Arnold 60 minute
    Vs France Arnold --> Cleary around the 60 minute again.
    Well it's not as if they're gunna bring off Ringrose

Any reason why RTE aren't showing this game. I think they showed all the home games last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

mogwai81 wrote: »
    Any reason why RTE aren't showing this game. I think they showed all the home games last year.

Maybe it's because Sky have it? I don't know if there's some rule stopping the two showing the same game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Now I am just guessing Sky have it but I heard they do from a friend weeks ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Being shown on sky sports 3, so I assume only they have the rights to broadcast it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

Yeh it is being shown on Sky Sports 3. Phew!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Both rte and sky are showing it afaik

Could be an online job from RTE

This game is a potential Slam decider for the team. It is the only game that I would not be confident of winning. Not the strongest French team this year for me. Scotland is very winnable, Wales will be a test but I feel that we can beat them. England slipped up badly in their first game v Wales and will see this game as a chance to get the championship back, they put a big score past the Italians.

We have home advantage on a fast track, a big crowd backing the boys, should be a brilliant night. We can do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 woody19

RTE are showing the game

woody19 wrote: »
    RTE are showing the game

Doesn't seem to be scheduled on the tv listings for tomorrow.

Listed on their website.

Buer wrote: »
    Listed on their website.

Cheers, checked the rte website but couldn't find it on TV listings. I take it that its available in Ireland only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19 Espn88uk

english team are more talented in the backs than forwards apparently, Packman & Tompkins especially.

Interesting stat that exiles have contributed more players to this team(4) than connacht & munster(2)

Advertisement