Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

typhoony wrote: »
    anyone heard officially or unofficially that Ringrose has been made captain going into the JWC, makes sense after a somewhat disappointing effort from McCarthy in the 6-Nations.

All the Irish matches are being televised on TG4...
    Ireland Fixtures -
    Ireland Under-20s v Argentina Under-20s, Parma, Tuesday, June 2, kick-off 4.30pm local time/3.30pm Irish time
    Ireland Under-20s v Scotland Under-20s, Calvisano, Saturday, June 6, kick-off 4.30pm local time/3.30pm Irish time
    Ireland Under-20s v New Zealand Under-20s, Viadana, Wednesday, June 10, kick-off 8.30pm local time/7.30pm Irish time

If Argentina play like the did against the babyboks then there will be only one result,the looked good and I fancy them to finish top 4

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

mogwai81 wrote: »
    On a side note is Billy Dardis in danger of losing the fullback slot.

Think he already has tbh, injuries have hindered him a bit but after two years of 20s he's still not big enough. His step is good but not as effective in higher level rugby and he's not explosive enough imo. Maybe a bit harsh but I think it's fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

Think he already has tbh, injuries have hindered him a bit but after two years of 20s he's still not big enough. His step is good but not as effective in higher level rugby and he's not explosive enough imo. Maybe a bit harsh but I think it's fair.

the best full-back in the world is a small guy so it's not neccessarily a bad thing. he showed some glimpses of what he can do in the 6 nations.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

He barely ran the ball back all 6 Nations. I don't know if it was tactics or personal choice but virtually every single time he had some space he chose to kick, it was infuriating and a waste as he's not a particularly special kicker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

Ross Byrne ruled out with back injury apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

u20 JWC willbe on BT Sport

• Registered Users Posts: 24 neiliog93

****e. Without Byrne I can see this group of players losing all three games. An unusually decent Scotland side this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

We can beat Scotland and Argentina........... we can. Baby Blacks will be hard to beat, but it is a nothing to lose game, if ya get my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭specttator

Good result for Argentina recently, against South Africa.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

specttator wrote: »
    Good result for Argentina recently, against South Africa.
    First time ever South Africa have won all games against Argentina in pre world championship games they've played against one another.
    South Africa won the two games 39-28 and 25-22
    http://www.rugby15.co.za/2015/05/junior-springboks-buoyed-by-argentine-tour-success/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

typhoony wrote: »
    anyone heard officially or unofficially that Ringrose has been made captain going into the JWC, makes sense after a somewhat disappointing effort from McCarthy in the 6-Nations.

Nick McCarthy is still going to be captain.

any idea how the team will cover the loss of Ross Byrne?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭FR2

Massive blow! Assume Cleary could come in at 10. Played there in the sct final and was very impressive.

Will be tough but Carberry and Cleary can play 10
    Both played there quite a bit in Athy, Navan and at representative level for Leinster at age grade..

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

If anyone is interested, here are the tries in one of the Argentina games against South Africa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJOsllmBsZk

They do the basics really well and play some really good running rugby. Going to have be on top the game to get a favourable result.

Tomas Quinlan has been called up to cover the Ross Byrne injury. AFAIK he's been doing very well for Cork Con in the UBL this year.

Hagz wrote: »
    Tomas Quinlan has been called up to cover the Ross Byrne injury. AFAIK he's been doing very well for Cork Con in the UBL this year.

some credentials!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Thought Sean O'Hagan could have got called up, don't know much about Quinlan so can't comment on him mind
    Shame that Byrne is out

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

FR2 wrote: »
    Massive blow! Assume Cleary could come in at 10. Played there in the sct final and was very impressive.
    Extract from piece in today's Irish Times

''The loss of Ross Byrne is a blow and that’s neither a reflection on his likely deputy, the talented Joey Carberry, nor Munster’s Tomas Quinlan who has been added to the squad. Byrne has been Ireland’s outhalf for two seasons, is a hugely influential figure and a player of great ability, who brings authority and structure to the team’s game management.''

• Advertisement

Irelands first game is Tuesday against Argentina, Scotland next Saturday and New Zealand Wednesday week. They then play 2 ranking games.
    The Argentinian and Scotland games kick off at 3.30pm while the New Zealand game kicks off at 7.30pm. All games live on tg4.

There is a pool on Superbru for boards for this championship
    Name of pool is 'boards.ie' and code to join is whoaflow.
    Anyone can join. Very few in so far..

Any word on team annoncement?

• Registered Users Posts: 31 RuggaBugga

15. Billy Dardis (UCD/Leinster)
    14. Ciaran Gaffney (Galwegians/Connacht)
    13. Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster)
    12. Sam Arnold (Ballynahinch/Ulster)
    11. Stephen Fitzgerald (Shannon/Munster)
    10. Joey Carbery (UCD/Leinster)
    9. Nick McCarthy (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
    1. Jeremy Loughman (UCD/Leinster)
    2. Zack McCall (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)
    3. Oisin Heffernan (Terenure College/Leinster)
    4. David O'Connor (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    5. Alex Thompson (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)
    6. Josh Murphy (UCD/Leinster)
    7. Rory Moloney (Buccaneers/Connacht)
    8. Lorcan Dow (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)

Replacements:

16. Sean McNulty (UCD/Leinster)
    17. Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster)
    18. Conan O'Donnell (Sligo/NUIG/Connacht)
    19. Jack Dwan (UCD/Leinster)
    20. Nick Timoney (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
    21. Charlie Rock (Old Belvedere/Leinster)
    22. Tomás Quinlan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
    23. Jacob Stockdale (Queen's University Belfast/Ulster)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

So TG4 are showing games .......any other channel?

vienne86 wrote: »
    So TG4 are showing games .......any other channel?
    BT/ESPN have the rights. Ireland games will be on mix of those channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭George Hook

I've never followed this, but might do this year. Can anyone give a quick summation of our chances and how good we are in the grand scheme of things. I assume all or most teams sit about as good as the senior teams in terms of where they lie in the rugby hierarchy.

I checked the pools, ours doesn't look to bad, but I've no idea how good the scotch or Argentina are at this level - I assume NZ has a great team.

• Advertisement

Don't know much about Dwan, he much better than Cian Romaine?

I've never followed this, but might do this year. Can anyone give a quick summation of our chances and how good we are in the grand scheme of things. I assume all or most teams sit about as good as the senior teams in terms of where they lie in the rugby hierarchy.

I checked the pools, ours doesn't look to bad, but I've no idea how good the scotch or Argentina are at this level - I assume NZ has a great team.
    This years side was before start of year predicted to go very well. The 6 nations will have lowered expectations and to be honest IMO that's a good thing.
    We didn't have the greatest of 6 nations but we generally do better in the World Championships than the 6nations.
    We lost 17-10 in 6 nations to Scotland. They will obviously need to reverse that as well as have a good game against NZ to have any hope of making semis again.
    New Zealand have taken a different approach this year to this competition having not won it in 4 years(SA and England both won 2 in a row) and should be much stronger this year.
    Argentina played South Africa in two internationals in early May and South Africa won both to remain unbeaten for first time in pre world championship clashes against Argentina.

This years side was before start of year predicted to go very well. The 6 nations will have lowered expectations and to be honest IMO that's a good thing.
    We didn't have the greatest of 6 nations but we generally do better in the World Championships than the 6nations.
    We lost 17-10 in 6 nations to Scotland. They will obviously need to reverse that as well as have a good game against NZ to have any hope of making semis again.
    New Zealand have taken a different approach this year to this competition having not won it in 4 years(SA and England both won 2 in a row) and should be much stronger this year.
    Argentina played South Africa in two internationals in early May and South Africa won both to remain unbeaten for first time in pre world championship clashes against Argentina.

Thanks, I do think I recall our 6N not going as well as expected. Thanks for the overview.

Thanks, I do think I recall our 6N not going as well as expected. Thanks for the overview.

6N started off great
    Big win away in Italy in awful conditions
    Great win against France in Donnybrook, playing great rugby
    Good first half against England, falls apart second half
    The games away vs Wales and Scotland were bit of a disaster

First game up is the important one for me, get a good win v Argentina and the ball is rolling, just because they did well in a warm up game v SA does not make them that good, warm up games are just that. If we do not start well it could be a long campaign. Scotland are very beatable. All Blacks will be tough. Second in our group should be the target.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

We have a good set of backs, albeit weakened significantly by the lose of Byrne. The two centres in particular, Arnold and Ringrose,are two crackerjacks, they could both go really far. Ringrose looks a rolls Royce of a player and Arnold has already two Ulster caps to his name and was impressive in both games, notably Glasgow away three weeks ago.

I don't think the forwards are as good unfortunately. It could be a bit of a struggle to be honest.

bilston wrote: »
    We have a good set of backs, albeit weakened significantly by the lose of Byrne. The two centres in particular, Arnold and Ringrose,are two crackerjacks, they could both go really far. Ringrose looks a rolls Royce of a player and Arnold has already two Ulster caps to his name and was impressive in both games, notably Glasgow away three weeks ago.

I don't think the forwards are as good unfortunately. It could be a bit of a struggle to be honest.

Ah Ringrose, I do remember that name from my ashamedly low amount of U20s rugby I saw.

Arnold was in the Glasgow match? I didn't notice at the time - which I'll take as a good sign. I'll have to see if I can find him in any highlights wheel. Not that there were many highlights from that particular match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Without Ross Byrne we'll struggle tbh

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    First game up is the important one for me, get a good win v Argentina and the ball is rolling, just because they did well in a warm up game v SA does not make them that good, warm up games are just that. If we do not start well it could be a long campaign. Scotland are very beatable. All Blacks will be tough. Second in our group should be the target.
    I don't think its as simple as that and South Africa just about getting 2 wins from 2 against Argentina means South Africa have upped their game as even when winning world championships South Africa had not beaten Argentina in the two games.
    I think its foolish to say Scotland are very beatable based on the 6 nations.
    .ak wrote: »
    Without Ross Byrne we'll struggle tbh
    Maybe but plenty of experience of playing 10 at provincial and various club/provincial age grade levels in squad which is a big boost.

I'm quietly confident about Joey Carberry at 10. I don't think many would have pegged him to be the 2nd choice 10 this season so for him to come under the radar and get ahead of the likes of Bingham and Quinlan suggests he's more than decent.
    We know he's a natural footballer given he's shifted between scrum-half, full-back, centre and out-half. And there were murmurs of him joining the Leinster Academy.

Who knows, maybe Carolan is eyeing him up for the Connacht Academy. Either way, getting the starting jersey for this JWC will give him a great opportunity to exhibit his talent.

Arnold was in the Glasgow match? I didn't notice at the time - which I'll take as a good sign. I'll have to see if I can find him in any highlights wheel. Not that there were many highlights from that particular match.

Yep he was playing 13 with McCloskey at 12. He played well too. He still has a year to go at U20s level.

Elsewhere Stephen Fitzgerald looked pretty sharp in the 6Ns as well. I don't remember seeing Ciaran Gaffney play myself but I think the board Connacht fans rate him highly. Billy Dardis has been highly rated from a young age but was disappointing in the 6Ns (played well against France though). I wasn't all that impressed by Nick McCarthy at scrum half based on what I've seen but scrum halfs are only as good as their packs lets them! A few here speak well of Charlie Rock. Also it will be interesting to see Jacob Stockdale as well who has scored a lot of tries at all levels he has played.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Yep he was playing 13 with McCloskey at 12. He played well too. He still has a year to go at U20s level.

Elsewhere Stephen Fitzgerald looked pretty sharp in the 6Ns as well. I don't remember seeing Ciaran Gaffney play myself but I think the board Connacht fans rate him highly. Billy Dardis has been highly rated from a young age but was disappointing in the 6Ns (played well against France though). I wasn't all that impressed by Nick McCarthy at scrum half based on what I've seen but scrum halfs are only as good as their packs lets them! A few here speak well of Charlie Rock. Also it will be interesting to see Jacob Stockdale as well who has scored a lot of tries at all levels he has played.

Dardis needs to be told to run and take some chances from the back or he needs to be taken out of the team

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Gaffney played in WC last year and is pure quality.

Hagz wrote: »
    I'm quietly confident about Joey Carberry at 10. I don't think many would have pegged him to be the 2nd choice 10 this season so for him to come under the radar and get ahead of the likes of Bingham and Quinlan suggests he's more than decent.
    We know he's a natural footballer given he's shifted between scrum-half, full-back, centre and out-half. And there were murmurs of him joining the Leinster Academy.

Who knows, maybe Carolan is eyeing him up for the Connacht Academy. Either way, getting the starting jersey for this JWC will give him a great opportunity to exhibit his talent.

Joey Carberry is a quality player and will do the team proud. He is in the Leinster academy next year.

Reminder about the pool on Superbru this championship(predicting results of all games for those who haven't heard of it before)
    Name of pool is 'boards.ie' and code to join is whoaflow.

http://www.superbru.com/u20championshiprugby/pool_overview.php?p=11392226

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 300 ✭✭marc96

Junior Bok side to face hosts Italy tomorrow. That is a monster forward pack for a junior side but I can't say much for the backs: I either know nothing about the players and those few backs I know of I am not overly excited about.

15. Warrick Gelant (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

14. Khanyo Ngcukana (DHL Western Province)

13. Daniel du Plessis (DHL Western Province)

12. JT Jackson (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

11. Leolin Zas (DHL Western Province)

10. Brandon Thomson (DHL Western Province)

9. Ivan van Zyl (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

8. Hanro Liebenberg (Vodacom Blue Bulls, captain)

7. Jean-Luc du Preez (Cell C Sharks)

6. Rikus Bothma (DHL Western Province)

5. RG Snyman (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

4. Abongile Nonkontwana (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

3. Thomas du Toit (Cell C Sharks)

2. Jan van der Merwe (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

1. Ox Nche (Toyota Free State Cheetahs)

Substitutes

16. Joseph Dweba (Toyota Free State Cheetahs)

17. Njabulo Gumede (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

18. Frans van Wyk (DHL Western Province)

19. Jason Jenkins (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

20. Dan du Preez (Cell C Sharks)

21. Marco Jansen van Vuren (Xerox Golden Lions)

22. Tinus de Beer (Vodacom Blue Bulls)

23. Malcolm Jaer (EP Kings)

Gaffney out with ankle injury - Stockdale replaces him with Cleary on the bench

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭commonsense.

Not too well versed in rugby matters but looking through team v Agrentina today I notice the almost total absence of Munster representation.
    Is the Munster academy system misfiring or is there something I'm missing.

Ireland:
    B Dardis (UCD); C Gaffney (Galwegians), G Ringrose (UCD), S Arnold (Ballynahinch), S Fitzgerald (Shannon); J Carbery (UCD), N McCarthy (UCD) (capt); J Loughman (UCD), Z McCall (Queen’s University Belfast), O Heffernan (Terenure College); D O’Connor (St Mary’s College), A Thompson (Queen’s University Belfast); J Murphy (UCD), R Moloney (Buccaneers), L Dow (Queen’s University Belfast) Replacements: S McNulty (UCD), A Porter (UCD), C O’Donnell (Sligo/NUIG), J Dwan (UCD), N Timoney (St Mary’s College), C Rock (Old Belvedere), T Quinlan (Cork Constitution), J Stockdale (Queen’s University Belfast).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

will Ireland be strong enough to beat Argentian without Gaffney and Byrne

Not too well versed in rugby matters but looking through team v Agrentina today I notice the almost total absence of Munster representation.
    Is the Munster academy system misfiring or is there something I'm missing.

Ireland:
    B Dardis (UCD); C Gaffney (Galwegians), G Ringrose (UCD), S Arnold (Ballynahinch), S Fitzgerald (Shannon); J Carbery (UCD), N McCarthy (UCD) (capt); J Loughman (UCD), Z McCall (Queen’s University Belfast), O Heffernan (Terenure College); D O’Connor (St Mary’s College), A Thompson (Queen’s University Belfast); J Murphy (UCD), R Moloney (Buccaneers), L Dow (Queen’s University Belfast) Replacements: S McNulty (UCD), A Porter (UCD), C O’Donnell (Sligo/NUIG), J Dwan (UCD), N Timoney (St Mary’s College), C Rock (Old Belvedere), T Quinlan (Cork Constitution), J Stockdale (Queen’s University Belfast).
    Munster finished last in the under 20s interpros. Academy system isn't as strong as others. Clubs are not as strong as those in Dublin. Just look at AIL 1A as proof of that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

getting a bit nervous about this match, at least the hard ground should suit the Irish backs, the temperature over there is in the high twenties, the team should be well prepared for this. All we can hope for is that the team has improved since the 6-nations as there are 3 tough games coming up, i think we lack in strength in depth so injuries could be our downfall, losing Byrne already isnt a calamity. I think we'll win this one and if the team plays to it's strenghts then a good margin of victory

Dunno if it's been mentioned already but ESPN are covering this match. 417 on Sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

A rousing rendition of Ireland's call :P

A rousing rendition of Ireland's call :P

Is this starting now?

I thought it was at 5pm for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Is this starting now?

I thought it was at 5pm for some reason.

Yep just kicked off

Advertisement