Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Stainalert wrote: »
    Yea interesting Gaffney wasn't making starting XV for Connacht 20s which I assume Carolan had a big input into. Different coaches will always favour different players I guess. Ruddock leaves the 20s in good shape with 10 players already blooded for the year ahead. Far cry from when he took over and they were in complete disarray. His legacy will be that we are now much more competitive at this level on a regular basis and the fact that a large number of his players have progressed onto the Ireland senior squad in a relatively short period. He seems to have done the same at Lansdowne with a regular conveyor belt of players making the professional grade under his guidance. Big asset to Irish rugby.

Sorry to see Ruddock go but had heard rumours of cost cutting. Big thing for me is that Ruddock looked outside the box sometimes players that were not rated by provinces started and were stars with the international team such as Gaffney mentioned above amongst many others. Will Carolan be under pressure to name a few Connacht players? Will they look at anyone not with the provinces? I think the era of bolters out of the blue is over. Not a job I would like to take over right now. Top 4 in the world 10 of current squad returning, pressure on now to get results and finish in top 4 next summer at least. I think there is no doubt Carolan is a cheaper version as he is effectively an IRFU employee with Connacht and won't cost much more than his current salary. Wil it work? Time will tell. Happy with where Ruddock left us. Not sure as to whether this is a good or a bad move but as said time and results will tell. Jacob Walshe to start:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Jacob Walshe to start:)

You might be joking, but he's over-rage.

Hagz wrote: »
    You might be joking, but he's over-rage.

Was joking Just remembered the clamour from Buccs and Connacht last season going mad that he didn't start Irish 20's. I see he is on bench for Eagles tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭shuffol

Hopefully it works out but there's definitely a conflict of interest, it's not dissimilar to a head coach at one of the provinces double jobbing as Ireland coach, could always work the other way in that he could be extra hard on Connacht players so as not to seem impartial. It's not an ideal situation either way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Ruddock did pretty well in his four years results wise. Last season was the best result in getting to the semis but I reckon our best team was the one with JJ, Henderson and Furlong that although finished 5th probably were unlucky not to make the final beating SA, England and France along the way.

In terms of player development under his watch (and to be fair the U20s is only a part of that development) I think 8 players have gone on to be capped by Ireland since Ruddock took over the U20s.

Gilroy, Henderson, Henshaw, Jackson, Marshall, Marmion, Murphy and Olding. None are Irish regulars at the minute but some should be in the next year or two.

The broader question is whether 8 players is a good return from 4 years? Obviously a bit early to judge some players but which other players from the "Ruddock years" that haven't already been capped are likely to be down the line? Tadgh Furlong seems a fairly obvious one for starters and JJ I'm sure will get there eventually too. Any others?

bilston wrote: »
    Ruddock did pretty well in his four years results wise. Last season was the best result in getting to the semis but I reckon our best team was the one with JJ, Henderson and Furlong that although finished 5th probably were unlucky not to make the final beating SA, England and France along the way.

In terms of player development under his watch (and to be fair the U20s is only a part of that development) I think 8 players have gone on to be capped by Ireland since Ruddock took over the U20s.

Gilroy, Henderson, Henshaw, Jackson, Marshall, Marmion, Murphy and Olding. None are Irish regulars at the minute but some should be in the next year or two.

The broader question is whether 8 players is a good return from 4 years? Obviously a bit early to judge some players but which other players from the "Ruddock years" that haven't already been capped are likely to be down the line? Tadgh Furlong seems a fairly obvious one for starters and JJ I'm sure will get there eventually too. Any others?

You can add Marty Moore to the team above, at least another 3 or 4 from UCD alone will be capped, I would guess close to 18 at the end up. but results won't be known for another 2-3 years. good revlection would be the number of players playing regularly for their provinces by the end of next season. Although as discussed on previous threads provincial teams are slow to promote younger players and all seems to take more time in Ireland than elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

bilston wrote: »

I'd suspect Conan will get a cap in some form at some point and in terms of players i wouldn't be surprised get capped further down the line you have the likes of Leavy, L McGrath maybe one of the Byrne twins at Leinster anyway, there will be others. In fact there are numerous returning players from last year I could see developing into internationals longer down the line.

Honestly considering how many players can drop out of the game completely at that age group, having 9 players (including M Moore as the other guy said) from 4 years worth of teams not only stay in the game but become internationally capped in just the 4 years (or less) since they played U20s is about as good as you could reasonably expect. Not that I think all or most of that credit should go to Ruddock, there was a lot more happening behind the scenes to make that happen, and ultimately there was a lot of luck that those players were good enough

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

I only saw the Ruddock news there and I can't say I'm disappointed. He's a good coach, but he shows an obvious selection bias towards his own players from Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

I only saw the Ruddock news there and I can't say I'm disappointed. He's a good coach, but he shows an obvious selection bias towards his own players from Lansdowne.

How so? What players did he select that didn't deserve to be there. Is it not the case that Lansdowne have recruited a lot of talented players at U'20 level?

I think there was a slight element of bias with Ruddock's squads. I don't think it crept into the starting XV or had a significant effect in general, but I think whenever there were injuries or he needed short term cover he resorted to what he knew back at Lansdowne.

Here are the Lansdowne players that represented Ireland u20s under Ruddock.
    Jordi Murphy (2010-11)
    Martin Moore (2010-11)
    Foster Horan (2011-12)
    Tadhg Beirne (2011-12)
    Peter Reilly (2011-12)
    Mark Roche (2012-13)
    Tom Farrell (2012-13)
    Adam Boland (2012-13)
    Peter Dooley (2012-14)
    Tom Daly (2012-13)
    Eoghan Quinn (2012-13)
    Cian Kelleher (2013-14)
    Oisin Heffernan (2013-14)
    Stephen Gardiner (2013-14)
    Conor McKeon (2013-14)
    Denis Coulson (2013-14)
    Ian Fitzpatrick (2013-14)
    Michael Triggs (2013-14)
    Shane Delahunt (2013-14)

Like I said, I don't think it was ever a problem when it came to the XV that ran out on the pitch, but I do think certain squad players like Triggs and Quinn got a look in based on the fact that they were Lansdowne players.

Hopefully Carolan is doing some serious homework on the talent outside Connacht.

• Advertisement

I remember Quinn scored a hat trick against England with Irish schools or 18's and was rated very highly most times I saw him he was very good but has been blighted with injury. Triggs was a provincial under 20 starter for Leinster. No big suprises there. I am sure that the numbers would be even bigger if you do same comparison with UCD. Coaches will always go with who they know those Lansdowne players and UCD players for the last few years have been consistently the two best under 20's teams in Leinster for a number of years with Terenure getting in on the act last year. I would be suprised if Carolan doesn't face the same accusations from Connacht but was interested to hear that Carolan dropped Gaffney at 20's for Connacht but was picked by Ruddock at international level. For me that was one of Ruddocks strengths as he looked outside the box and outside provincial set up. I don't think the provincial coaches will do that as it would make them look bad. Ruddock is a top coach we were lucky to have him and now up to Carolan and co to carry that on and improve again. Time as always will tell all as none of us are fortune tellers!

I think there was a slight element of bias with Ruddock's squads. I don't think it crept into the starting XV or had a significant effect in general, but I think whenever there were injuries or he needed short term cover he resorted to what he knew back at Lansdowne.

Here are the Lansdowne players that represented Ireland u20s under Ruddock before 2012.
    Jordi Murphy (2010-11) Ireland Senior Cap
    Martin Moore (2010-11) Ireland Senior Cap
    Foster Horan (2011-12) Club Intl / London Irish Contract?
    Tadhg Beirne (2011-12) Leinster academy
    Peter Reilly (2011-12) Connacht senior Cap

Here are the Lansdowne players that represented Ireland u20s under Ruddock after he became coach of Lansdowne.
    Mark Roche (2012-13) Connacht A
    Tom Farrell (2012-13) Leinster academy
    Adam Boland (2012-13) Connacht A
    Peter Dooley (2012-14) Leinster academy
    Tom Daly (2012-13) Leinster academy
    Eoghan Quinn (2012-13) Leinster 20s
    Cian Kelleher (2013-14) Leinster academy
    Oisin Heffernan (2013-14) Leinster A
    Stephen Gardiner (2013-14) Leinster 20s
    Conor McKeon (2013-14) Connacht academy
    Denis Coulson (2013-14) Grenoble
    Ian Fitzpatrick (2013-14) Leinster academy
    Michael Triggs (2013-14) Leinster 20s
    Shane Delahunt (2013-14) Connacht academy / Connacht senior cap

Like I said, I don't think it was ever a problem when it came to the XV that ran out on the pitch, but I do think certain squad players like Triggs and Quinn got a look in based on the fact that they were Lansdowne players.

Hopefully Carolan is doing some serious homework on the talent outside Connacht.

Think you have your dates wrong - Ruddock coached Lansdowne in 2011/12

Most of those players now academy / pros now? Triggs played Leinster 20s and came in when there were a lot of backrow injuries if I remember right. Dooley and Coulson are 2 good examples of the point armchairQB makes - neither were really on the radar. Dooley is a huge prospect and Coulson now with Grenoble. Delahunt made his first Pro 12 start this weekend. In my opinion Lansdowne have been pretty smart with their 20s recruitment and these players would be getting picked whatever club they chose to play with.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Carolan never dropped Gaffney from Connacht 20's. don't know where that came from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I wonder if young players were motivated to go to play for Lansdowne because Ruddock was there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

He didn't really. Due to nature of players coming from schools they were always going to gravitate to club he coached. There wasn't really many players from Lansdowne who got ahead of "better" players playing club rugby elsewhere
    How so? What players did he select that didn't deserve to be there. Is it not the case that Lansdowne have recruited a lot of talented players at U'20 level?
    More the case players gravitated to Lansdowne more than Lansdowne recruiting players for 20s

Most of those players now academy / pros now? Triggs played Leinster 20s and came in when there were a lot of backrow injuries if I remember right. Dooley and Coulson are 2 good examples of the point armchairQB makes - neither were really on the radar. Dooley is a huge prospect and Coulson now with Grenoble. Delahunt made his first Pro 12 start this weekend. In my opinion Lansdowne have been pretty smart with their 20s recruitment and these players would be getting picked whatever club they chose to play with.
    Dooley was on the radar to those who didn't just watch schools rugby. He was known in the provincial and international set ups but probably until he played Irish 20s few would have seen him play

durkadurka wrote: »
    I wonder if young players were motivated to go to play for Lansdowne because Ruddock was there?

Or maybe they saw Lansdowne as a good option - they have been strong at 20s way before Ruddock started coaching there

He didn't really. Due to nature of players coming from schools they were always going to gravitate to club he coached. There wasn't really many players from Lansdowne who got ahead of "better" players playing club rugby elsewhere

Players go to clubs with strong systems and good track record

More the case players gravitated to Lansdowne more than Lansdowne recruiting players for 20s

Disagree Lansdowne have been strong at 20s level long before Ruddock started coaching there.

Dooley was on the radar to those who didn't just watch schools rugby. He was known in the provincial and international set ups but probably until he played Irish 20s few would have seen him play

Maybe as a backrow but not as a prop - he didn't play Leinster 20s his first year as Irish U20

Maybe as a backrow but not as a prop - he didn't play Leinster 20s his first year as Irish U20
    He would have been known as a prop. Only played a bit of his club rugby at 8 with Birr but 2 years on Leinster, Irish youths at prop. He didn't play Leinster 20s as a u19 player but there was a guy who had been u18 schools and u19 irish lh prop ahead of him and by playing 19s he gave Leinster a chance to look at another player at age grade representative rugby who wouldn't get another chance to do so in his playing career.

• Advertisement

A lot of noise was being made about Dooley long before he played u20s. There's evidence of that on this forum.

A lot of noise was being made about Dooley long before he played u20s. There's evidence of that on this forum.

Indeed there was but was not in the mix as if I remember correctly UCD 20's had the Byrne twins and props Shane Delahunt and Tracey (both now hookers) In front row and the were to be the next coming of Christ for years to come. I remember being at a UCD v Lansdowne game and the main man in UCD telling me about the front row I was looking forward to seeing them. 1st scrum Lansdowne destroyed them and I chatted to my UCD mate and we both said who the f**k are they. Turned out to be Dooley and Adam Boland both got drafted in at Christmas time to Irish squad after injuries to props. Now Boland was not rated by Leinster and apparently went to Connacht 20's not a huge lad but unbeleivable scrummager and he did well with Irish 20's. Not so much as it is Ruddock but because it was someone who wasn't in the system Players outside the box got a shot. No affiliation to Ruddock at all but I think he has left us in a better place than when he took over which is good enough on any coaches CV he probably leaves on his terms rather than on the IRFU's and hopefully we can say the same after Carolan has put in his time. For now I am eager to see the 20's again, as aside from who is coach our squad and especially the amount of lads returning hopefully means and exciting year ahead

Fair enough thanks Pre my time on this forum

20s club results from yesterday and today

Leinster Div 1
    Dublin University 21 Lansdowne 7
    UCD 48 Old Belvedere 22
    Blackrock 25 Clontarf 24
    Terenure 46 NUIM Barnhall 10

Leinster Div 2
    Old Wesley 28 St Marys 13
    Dublin University 2nds 21 Greystones 29
    UCD 2nds 13 Old Belvedere 2nds 11

Trinity were much stronger than the 21-7 score-line suggests. Should have won by much more. They're one of teams to beat in Division 1

Under 20 Donal Walsh Trophy Section A:
    Cork Con 22 UCC 3
    Dolphin 26 Sunday's Well 19
    Highfield 56 Kanturk-Charleville 20;

Section B:
    Bruff 17 UL Bohemian 16
    Buccaneers 39 Shannon 7
    Young Munster 24 NUIG-Corinthians 21
    Garryowen 29 Nenagh 19

20s club results from yesterday and today

Leinster Div 1
    Dublin University 21 Lansdowne 7
    UCD 48 Old Belvedere 22
    Blackrock 25 Clontarf 24
    Terenure 46 NUIM Barnhall 10

Leinster Div 2
    Dublin University 2nds 21 Greystones 29
    UCD 2nds 13 Old Belvedere 2nds 11

Trinity were much stronger than the 21-7 score-line suggests. Should have won by much more. They're one of teams to beat in Division 1

Under 20 Donal Walsh Trophy Section A:
    Cork Con 22 UCC 3
    Dolphin 26 Sunday's Well 19
    Highfield 56 Kanturk-Charleville 20;

Section B:
    Bruff 17 UL Bohemian 16
    Buccaneers 39 Shannon 7
    Young Munster 24 NUIG-Corinthians 21

Trinity and Terenure the early pace setters, big win for UCD and a good win for Rock.

Trinity and Terenure the early pace setters, big win for UCD and a good win for Rock.
    Yeah Trinity and Terenure, from what I know, are teams to beat. Trinity were very impressive when they wanted to be and could go far this season.

Trev Hogan will have Blackrock well prepped. Super coach(capable of much higher than 20s club ball in Blackrock) and they'll do well this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Leinster A v Jersey in B&I Cup Friday 17th.

Leinster 'A'

15. Cian Kelleher
    14. Sam Coghlan Murray
    13. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Steve Crosbie
    11. Adam Byrne
    10. Ross Byrne
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Oisin Heffernan
    4. Tom Denton CAPTAIN
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Ben Marshall
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jordan Coghlan

Replacements

16. Aaron Dundon
    17. Brian McGovern
    18. Gavin Thornbury
    19. Nick Timoney
    20. Nick McCarthy
    21. Cathal Marsh
    22. Tom Farrell

wise7 wrote: »
    Leinster A v Jersey in B&I Cup Friday 17th.

Leinster 'A'

15. Cian Kelleher
    14. Sam Coghlan Murray
    13. Rory O'Loughlin
    12. Steve Crosbie
    11. Adam Byrne
    10. Ross Byrne
    9. Luke McGrath
    1. Peter Dooley
    2. Bryan Byrne
    3. Oisin Heffernan
    4. Tom Denton CAPTAIN
    5. Ross Molony
    6. Ben Marshall
    7. Josh van der Flier
    8. Jordan Coghlan

Replacements
    16. Aaron Dundon
    17. Brian McGovern
    18. Gavin Thornbury
    19. Nick Timoney
    20. Nick McCarthy
    21. Cathal Marsh
    22. Tom Farrell
    Wrong thread I assume?
    If putting in this thread you may as well highlight those who are under 20s

Under 20 League fixtures for this weekend

Under 20 South Western Conference Section A:
    Midleton v Kanturk-Charleville, Sunday's Well v Highfield, UCC v Dolphin, WIT-Waterpark v Cork Con

Section B:
    Nenagh Ormond v Buccaneers, NUIG-Corinthians v Old Crescent, Shannon v Galwegians, UL Bohs v Garryowen

JP Fanagan Premier 3:
    Coolmine v De La Salle Palmerston; Railway Union v Portlaoise, Suttonians v Wanderers
    JP Fanagan Premier 2:
    Naas v Dublin University, St Marys College v UCD, Old Belvedere v Old Wesley
    JP Fanagan Premier 1:
    Lansdowne v Blackrock College RFC, Clontarf v NUIM Barnhall, Old Belvedere v Dublin University, Terenure College v UCD

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Wrong thread I assume?

Midleton v Kanturk-Charleville, Sunday's Well v Highfield, UCC v Dolphin, WIT-Waterpark v Cork Con

Section B:
    Nenagh Ormond v Buccaneers, NUIG-Corinthians v Old Crescent, Shannon v Galwegians, UL Bohs v Garryowen

JP Fanagan Premier 3:
    Coolmine v De La Salle Palmerston; Railway Union v Portlaoise, Suttonians v Wanderers
    JP Fanagan Premier 2:
    JP Fanagan Premier 1:
    Lansdowne v Blackrock College RFC, Clontarf v NUIM Barnhall, Old Belvedere v Dublin University, Terenure College v UCD

Sorry I meant to highlight the 20's players. Thanks for fixing it.

3 day camp for Irish 20's cut to 2 days due to players being recalled for B&I Cup duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MagicF

Wrong thread I assume?

Section B:

JP Fanagan Premier 3:
    JP Fanagan Premier 2:
    JP Fanagan Premier 1:

Did anyone see the Leinster A match? How did the young guys do?

• Advertisement

MagicF wrote: »
    Did anyone see the Leinster A match? How did the young guys do?
    Have a look in Leinster or B&I Cup threads

Division 1
    Lansdowne 43 Blackrock 16, Belvedere 0 Trinity 51, Terenure 22 UCD 12, Clontarf 23 NUIM Barnhall 12
    Terenure and Trinity 3 from 3. Nure 14, Trinity 13
    Lansdowne next on 2 wins, UCD, Rock, Tarf and Barnhall 1 win
    Belvedere 0 from 3

Division 2
    St Marys 50 UCD 2nds 14, Naas 18 Dublin University 2nds 26, Old Belvedere 2nds v Old Wesley tomorrow
    Wesley, Greystones both 1 from 1 and top on points difference each with 5 points, Trinity 2nds and St Marys are 1 from 2 and both also on 5 points
    UCD are 1 from 2 and on 4 points, Belvedere 2nds and Naas both lost their opening game

Division 3
    Wanderers beat Suttonians 15-7 friday night in only game so far
    Coolmine v DLSP

Munster-Connacht League
    Section A:
    Sunday's Well 19 Highfield 28, WIT-Waterpark 0 Cork Con 60
    Highfield and Cork Con both 2 wins from 2 but Highfield lead as theyve 2 bonus points to Con's one. Dolphin have won their only game so far
    Sundays Well lost both games theyve played with a bonus while UCC, Kanturk, WIT-Park have 0 points while both Midleton and Clonakilty-Kinsale are yet to play

Section B:
    Nenagh Ormond 10 Buccaneers 31, NUIG-Corinthians 43 Old Crescent 7
    UL Bohemians 10 Garryowen 14
    Like Section A its a mix of teams who've played one, two and three games.
    Buccaneers and Garryowen are top and 3 from 3 and Buccaneers have got bonus points in every game and are the team to beat. NUIG-Corinthians have 6 points from 2 games and are ahead on points difference from Bohs who have played a game more.
    Young Munster and Bruff have both won the only games theyve played so far while Nenagh, Crescent and Shannon and Galwegians are yet to register a win having played 1 or 2 games

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

Have a look in Leinster or B&I Cup threads

Division 1
    Lansdowne 43 Blackrock 16, Belvedere 0 Trinity 51, Terenure 22 UCD 12, Clontarf 23 NUIM Barnhall 12
    Terenure and Trinity 3 from 3. Nure 14, Trinity 13
    Lansdowne next on 2 wins, UCD, Rock, Tarf and Barnhall 1 win
    Belvedere 0 from 3

Division 2
    St Marys 50 UCD 2nds 14, Naas 18 Dublin University 2nds 26, Old Belvedere 2nds v Old Wesley tomorrow
    Wesley, Greystones both 1 from 1 and top on points difference each with 5 points, Trinity 2nds and St Marys are 1 from 2 and both also on 5 points
    UCD are 1 from 2 and on 4 points, Belvedere 2nds and Naas both lost their opening game

Division 3
    Wanderers beat Suttonians 15-7 friday night in only game so far
    Coolmine v DLSP

Munster-Connacht League
    Section A:
    Sunday's Well 19 Highfield 28, WIT-Waterpark 0 Cork Con 60
    Highfield and Cork Con both 2 wins from 2 but Highfield lead as theyve 2 bonus points to Con's one. Dolphin have won their only game so far
    Sundays Well lost both games theyve played with a bonus while UCC, Kanturk, WIT-Park have 0 points while both Midleton and Clonakilty-Kinsale are yet to play

Section B:
    Nenagh Ormond 10 Buccaneers 31, NUIG-Corinthians 43 Old Crescent 7
    UL Bohemians 10 Garryowen 14
    Like Section A its a mix of teams who've played one, two and three games.
    Buccaneers and Garryowen are top and 3 from 3 and Buccaneers have got bonus points in every game and are the team to beat. NUIG-Corinthians have 6 points from 2 games and are ahead on points difference from Bohs who have played a game more.
    Young Munster and Bruff have both won the only games theyve played so far while Nenagh, Crescent and Shannon and Galwegians are yet to register a win having played 1 or 2 games

Was at the Trinity Belvo game-Trinity were excellent with R Valeco and M Courtney and B Mollen running Belvo ragged-their pack is also excellent-the Trinity Nure game and Trinity UCD games will be worth watching..

Was at the Trinity Belvo game-Trinity were excellent with R Valeco and M Courtney and B Mollen running Belvo ragged-their pack is also excellent-the Trinity Nure game and Trinity UCD games will be worth watching..
    Trinity will be there or there abouts in terms of winning the league. Still have a few players to come back in including winger who won AIL 2B with Nenagh last season

Trinity will be there or there abouts in terms of winning the league. Still have a few players to come back in including winger who won AIL 2B with Nenagh last season

They do and he played their first league match and got injured-he will have a fight to start with Valeco/Mollen and Zach O'Hagan(played for Pennant yesterday) there as wingers! Good position for Trinity to be in.

They do and he played their first league match and got injured-he will have a fight to start with Valeco/Mollen and Zach O'Hagan(played for Pennant yesterday) there as wingers! Good position for Trinity to be in.
    TBH I don't think he'll have too much of a fight to get in. He'll be pushing for AIL game time this season as that's what he is there for as looking at Nenagh squad for AIL games recently they're down on numbers in the backs and he would def be starting if he hadn't left
    This weekends Munster-Connacht Donal Walsh Trophy fixtures
    South
    Clonakilty-Kinsale v Midleton
    Dolphin v WIT-Waterpark
    Kanturk-Charleville v Sundays Well
    North
    Buccaneers v UL Bohs
    Galwegians v Nenagh Ormond
    Old Crescent v Young Munster

NO JP Fanagan league games this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 3 requiems0

UCD side: Andrew Porter, Sean McNulty, Jeremy Loughman, Tom Treacy, Jack Dwan, Alex Penny, David Fortune, Eoin Fanning, Tristan Brady, Joey Carberry, Andy Boland, Michael Gilsenan, Adam Leavy, Hugo Keenan, Jonny McDonnell.

Lansdowne: Conor Ganley, Jack McKenna, Jack Barry, Eoghan Murphy, Robbie Collins, Jack O'Sullivan, Stephen Keelan, Colm Joyce-Ahearne, Ruari O'Farrell, Jack Duffy, Cian O'Donoghue, James Nolan, Mark O'Keefe, Andrew Shanahan, Matthieu Sanchez.

@requiems0 why don't you put up teams for all sides rather than just 2 of them. Not all top players are in those 2 clubs

Conroy Cup is this weekend in Belfield
    NUIM Barnhall, UCD, Queen’s, Trinity, NUIG and UCC all competing

Interesting to see how this goes

• Registered Users Posts: 3 requiems0

@requiems0 why don't you put up teams for all sides rather than just 2 of them. Not all top players are in those 2 clubs

jesus you have an awful chip on your shoulder, they are the only team sheets i have. get over yourself.

requiems0 wrote: »
    jesus you have an awful chip on your shoulder, they are the only team sheets i have. get over yourself.
    No chip on my shoulder at all so relax

Was there-Trinity won 19-3 against UCD in final-great game-Trinity v good with Finlay/St Ledger/Courtney and Valeco again to the fore. Ringrose/Dwan/fortune for UCD very quiet..UCD scrum absolutely destroyed by Trinity-went back in every scrum even with JP from Newbridge and McNulty..Carberry bad concussion looked like for UCD..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Was there-Trinity won 19-3 against UCD in final-great game-Trinity v good with Finlay/St Ledger/Courtney and Valeco again to the fore. Ringrose/Dwan/fortune for UCD very quiet..UCD scrum absolutely destroyed by Trinity-went back in every scrum even with JP from Newbridge and McNulty..Carberry bad concussion looked like for UCD..

UCD team was without Andrew porter, Jeremy Loughman, josh Murphy, Charlie creegan, jack power, alex penny, Andy marks today. They were always going to struggle against a strong trinity side. Would expect the colours match to be more even. McCarthy, Byrne, dardis all underage aswell if needed.

Board_man wrote: »
    UCD team was without Andrew porter, Jeremy Loughman, josh Murphy, Charlie creegan, jack power, alex penny, Andy marks today. They were always going to struggle against a strong trinity side. Would expect the colours match to be more even. McCarthy, Byrne, dardis all underage aswell if needed.

Agree!

Trinity have Kinsley/Gleeson/O'Hagan/O'Flynn/Joyce to come back 2 so will be interesting!

Both sides missing players but good win for Trinity
    Board_man wrote: »
    Byrne, Dardis may be underage but will rarely be playing at this grade for UCD and shouldn't really be playing much at this grade if playing regularly at senior and involved with A teams etc
    Agree!

Trinity have Kinsley/Gleeson/O'Hagan/O'Flynn/Joyce to come back 2 so will be interesting!
    Donovan and handful of others as well

Nice to see some of the young lads making their mark in the UBL.

Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne and Billy Dardis all started for UCD against Lansdowne on the weekend and from reading reports Ross Byrne apparently had a great game. Ringrose came of the bench as well and had a strong influence.

Dave O'Connor and Nick Timoney also started for St.Mary's. Sounds like Timoney has really impressed so far this season.

A lot of the guys around all 4 provinces are getting regular game-time in the B&I cup as well.

Nick McCarthy, Ross Byrne and Billy Dardis all started for UCD against Lansdowne on the weekend and from reading reports Ross Byrne apparently had a great game. Ringrose came of the bench as well and had a strong influence.

Dave O'Connor and Nick Timoney also started for St.Mary's. Sounds like Timoney has really impressed so far this season.

A lot of the guys around all 4 provinces are getting regular game-time in the B&I cup as well.
    Top guys looking at 20s should be playing AIL. Sometimes id rather see more of the players looking at playing 20s rep rugby playing Division 2 AIL instead of being at a division 1 club playing a season or two of u20 AIL. Would learn more and be tested more. Obviously only in some cases as others aren't ready for it but it would be good to see

Yeah watched that game Adam Byrne and Sam Coughlan Murray as well as James Treacy, Peadar Timmins and Ross Molony all started as well. Nearly haf of UCD's squad were academy players probably their strongest team of the season to date. Kelleher and Farrell started for Lansdowne.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭FellasFellas

Yeah watched that game Adam Byrne and Sam Coughlan Murray as well as James Treacy, Peadar Timmins and Ross Molony all started as well. Nearly haf of UCD's squad were academy players probably their strongest team of the season to date. Kelleher and Farrell started for Lansdowne.

The Lansdowne team had people like Prenderville and Donnellan and Farrell all playing J1's the week before too, and then them playing starting AIL the week after.

It's just nice that they're not just getting AIL game-time, but they are standing out at that level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

• Advertisement

Jeez, talk about pressure! That's a lot of hype to be placing on a young mans shoulders. Hopefully he stays grounded, along with people's expectations. All he needs to worry about is getting onto the u20 team.

Advertisement