Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland U20 2015 6 nations and junior world cup

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I would rate the team of '12 and '13 better than Conway's year personally.

It should be a very strong team. The whole back-line could be academy players which I'm not sure has happened before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking if we avoid injuries this could be the best team we have in ever or at least since Andrew Conway and Co were together 4 years ago or so?

Will be exciting to see how this bunch cope with England and France in games that historically we are a few years behind in development. A lot of academy lads around this year.
    Would you not say the 2012 side was as good or better(Henderson, PJ, JJ, Marmion)?
    Lots of academy players involved which should help. The 19s didn't play England last season but played France twice winning 1 losing the other. Having so many who played u20s last season will help as much as having loads of academy players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

I reckon the 2012 team was the best of recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Sorry completely forgot about 2012.
    2013 were unlucky that their two best players were unavailable.
    Injuries really hampered last years team, did wonderfully all things considered but were unlikely to have a group that easy again.

In a WC sense I feel this bunch have a great chance. The backline could be seriously impressive which could be of benefit against the Baby Blacks. Pack while it should be good may still get knocked around a bit by England and SA as is expected at this level. NZ won't blow us away up front so with arguably the best backline we've had at this level it's a great chance to compete with them.

It will be interesting to see if Tevita Li and Damian McKenzie are made available to the NZ u20 team. Obviously our chances of winning would be vastly improved if they weren't but at the same time I'd love to see the two back-lines at full-strength.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 under age rugby

ridiculous post and very far from the truth.

Anyway shame game v Munster is not in Limerick as id go if it was but not going to drive to Cork..
    I heard that for many that have play with me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭RobbieRuns

Sorry completely forgot about 2012.
    2013 were unlucky that their two best players were unavailable.
    Injuries really hampered last years team, did wonderfully all things considered but were unlikely to have a group that easy again.

In a WC sense I feel this bunch have a great chance. The backline could be seriously impressive which could be of benefit against the Baby Blacks. Pack while it should be good may still get knocked around a bit by England and SA as is expected at this level. NZ won't blow us away up front so with arguably the best backline we've had at this level it's a great chance to compete with them.

Have to agree with this, we have a fantastic set of backs this year, some with experience of being part of the 20's set up last year which will stand them in great stead. We did get a good draw last year in the JWC, but the 6N was not that great. We need to start this campaign with a good 6N, doing well (or indeed winning) a JWC is difficult, but winning a 6N is the way to go, become champions of the Northern Hemisphere and take it from there.

I heard that for many that have play with me
    What do you mean by this??
    RobbieRuns wrote: »
    Have to agree with this, we have a fantastic set of backs this year, some with experience of being part of the 20's set up last year which will stand them in great stead. We did get a good draw last year in the JWC, but the 6N was not that great. We need to start this campaign with a good 6N, doing well (or indeed winning) a JWC is difficult, but winning a 6N is the way to go, become champions of the Northern Hemisphere and take it from there.
    Problem is the pack... all experience in backs is great but so few in pack who are in 2nd year isn't great.
    Don't think the side has to have a strong 6N to do well in JWC. Our past history at this grade doesn't back that up.

Anyone going to the game Monday in temple hill?

I think the front row is where we could be very light. Second row has good depth and backrow if all are fit will be very competitive.

Loughman
    McNulty
    Heffernan
    O Connor
    Thompson
    Murphy
    Moloney
    Timoney
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O Shea
    Cleary
    Ringrose
    Gaffney
    Dardis

That would be my view of the team at this early stage with my limited knowledge.
    Lagan and Porter can't be far off the team.
    Romaine the same at lock
    Lorcan Dow Ive heard good things of but never seen, and Timoney has been brilliant for Marys
    Great depth in nearly all the back positions with O' Hagan, Brewer, Owens, Stockdale, Cullen/Rock all knocking about.

I think that Sam Arnold from Ulster will be ahead of Cleary myself, he is a class act and going well as part of the ravens. Stockdale and Owens will be in the squad too, very good players.

I never said that we had to have a good 6N to do well in the JWC, I just believe that it is better to go into the JWC on the back of a good 6N. A bit like the seniors having a good autumn series against Southern Hemisphere sidea, it builds momentum and confidence. We do have some good forwards to compete and we also have France and Particularly England at home, which I think will suit us. We do not have to great 6N, but for me it would be better with this squad prior to the JWC. This team can do well.

• Advertisement

RobbieRuns wrote: »
    I think that Sam Arnold from Ulster will be ahead of Cleary myself, he is a class act and going well as part of the ravens. Stockdale and Owens will be in the squad too, very good players.

I never said that we had to have a good 6N to do well in the JWC, I just believe that it is better to go into the JWC on the back of a good 6N. A bit like the seniors having a good autumn series against Southern Hemisphere sidea, it builds momentum and confidence. We do have some good forwards to compete and we also have France and Particularly England at home, which I think will suit us. We do not have to great 6N, but for me it would be better with this squad prior to the JWC. This team can do well.
    Its age grade rugby not senior pro rugby. The 6ns and JWC are 2 completely different competitions in how they are played, how they are ran etc. The team could do well and if the past few years we have always been better in June than February and March and as long as we're not very poor in 6Ns would I worry about June.
    Our previous best performances at this grade in WC have not been built on momentum from 6Ns

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Stainalert

I think the front row is where we could be very light. Second row has good depth and backrow if all are fit will be very competitive.

Loughman
    McNulty
    Heffernan
    O Connor
    Thompson
    Murphy
    Moline
    Timoney
    McCarthy
    Byrne
    O Shea
    Cleary
    Ringrose
    Gaffney
    Dardis

That would be my view of the team at this early stage with my limited knowledge.
    Lagan and Porter can't be far off the team.
    Romaine the same at lock
    Lorcan Dow Ive heard good things of but never seen, and Timoney has been brilliant for Marys
    Great depth in nearly all the back positions with O' Hagan, Brewer, Owens, Stockdale, Cullen/Rock all knocking about.

Does anyone really rate Heffernan? Big lad and definitely plenty of potential but in my opinion he has yet to deliver

Stainalert wrote: »
    Does anyone really rate Heffernan? Big lad and definitely plenty of potential but in my opinion he has yet to deliver

Well I haven't seen much of him, but going on reputation I'd expect him to start. He was involved with the u20s last year, and always brought some good energy off the bench. He's been playing for Leinster in the B&I cup and training with the Leinster Academy, and he's also been playing AIL rugby with Terenure. He's a guarantee to go into the Leinster Academy.

Stainalert wrote: »

I was impressed by him the first time I saw him when Roscrea played Rock. Gave the Rock front row a rough time. Haven't seen much since. He will most likely start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,377 ✭✭✭✭phog

An Irish U20s selection played a Munster development side in Cork earlier today.
    Munster Rugby (@Munsterrugby) tweeted at 2:55 PM on Mon, Dec 29, 2014:

All over at Temple Hill, MunDevelopment defeat Irl U20: 24-19. 2nd half try from Greg O'Shea. Good performance from the lads coming through

Match report on game to be on Munster website soon enough I guess. Munster usually good enough at publishing Match reports on games like this unlike other provinces

phog wrote: »
    An Irish U20s selection played a Munster development side in Cork earlier today.

Match Report from MR

Sam Arnold left the field on a stretcher. Don't know what happened.

Hope that Arnold is ok. Never like the picture of a young fella going off on a stretcher.

• Advertisement

Hagz wrote: »
    Sam Arnold left the field on a stretcher. Don't know what happened.

A guy at the match said the game was stopped for ages as the medics dealt with him and seemed to be still attending to him as he was stretchered off. Hope its all precautionary.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Match report on game to be on Munster website soon enough I guess. Munster usually good enough at publishing Match reports on games like this unlike other provinces

Why do you think that is? Totally agree with you that Munster are very good at reporting these type of games but Leinster for all their resources and I am a Leinster fan have an appalling record in this regard, they have interns for interns sake in all departments with young men and women mad keen to be given a project but nothing ever is reported similar with IRFU with under 20 and underage game. Irish under 18 game in Lansdowne today only found out from a players father after his son told him, it was due to be in Ashbourne wonder will we hear anything about it I beleive it is clubs v schools but could be wrong

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Why do you think that is? Totally agree with you that Munster are very good at reporting these type of games but Leinster for all their resources and I am a Leinster fan have an appalling record in this regard, they have interns for interns sake in all departments with young men and women mad keen to be given a project but nothing ever is reported similar with IRFU with under 20 and underage game. Irish under 18 game in Lansdowne today only found out from a players father after his son told him, it was due to be in Ashbourne wonder will we hear anything about it I beleive it is clubs v schools but could be wrong

Irish U18 clubs v Irish U18 Schools. Traditionally played at this time. Moved for weather reasons.

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Not totally sure why. Munster also cover the summer training programmes for their age grade representative sides quite comprehensively unlike the other provinces. Leinster I assume feel that they don't need to cover these games.
    I have in the past worked as a PRO for numerous organisations on a volunteer basis and the branches welcome the information and the branches just cant get the staff to cover all these games. If you, me or anyone else could go to a game and report fairly/objectively on games like these and sent a report to games they would be covered.
    The 18s game is Clubs v Schools National sides and that usually is covered by IRFU social media etc. There is usually video highlights which will be up online in New Year

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Board_man

Squad is being cut from 40 to 30 in the next few weeks in preparation for the RBS 6-Nations. Based purely on performance in trial games and not on past reputation, my team would be:
    Jeremy Loughman
    Sean McNulty
    Oisin Heffernan
    David O'Connor
    Cian Romaine
    Steve McVeigh
    Rory Maloney
    Lorcan Dow
    Nick McCarthy
    Joey Carberry
    Jack Owens
    Sam Arnold
    Garry Ringrose
    Jacob Stockdale
    Ciaran Gaffney

Mccall,Lagan,O'Donnel,Murphy,Oliver,Rock,Byrne,O'Shea to make up the bench

And news on Arnold? He's surely out of the reckoning for the 6N.

• Advertisement

And news on Arnold? He's surely out of the reckoning for the 6N.

Out for the mandatory 3 weeks with concussion, stretchering off was simply precautionary.

Board_man wrote: »
    Out for the mandatory 3 weeks with concussion, stretchering off was simply precautionary.

Thank god for that!

Thank god for that!

Very talented player with lots of potential. Will be very hard to contain next year as well as he is still under 19

Squad is being cut from 40 to 30 in the next few weeks in preparation for the RBS 6-Nations. Based purely on performance in trial games and not on past reputation, my team would be:
    Jeremy Loughman
    Sean McNulty
    Oisin Heffernan
    David O'Connor
    Cian Romaine
    Steve McVeigh
    Rory Maloney
    Lorcan Dow
    Nick McCarthy
    Joey Carberry
    Jack Owens
    Sam Arnold
    Garry Ringrose
    Jacob Stockdale
    Ciaran Gaffney

Byrne has to and will start. Would be shocked if Dardis didn't either.

Possibly. But as I said, that squad is picked on form and performance in the trials, not past

• Advertisement

And I wouldn't be too sure about dardis. Have seen him a few times this year between UCD, Leinster A and the Irish 20s and i haven't been impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Jeremy Loughman
    Sean McNulty
    Oisin Heffernan
    David O'Connor
    Cian Romaine
    Steve McVeigh
    Rory Maloney
    Lorcan Dow
    Nick McCarthy
    Joey Carberry
    Jack Owens
    Sam Arnold
    Garry Ringrose
    Jacob Stockdale
    Ciaran Gaffney

Trial games are important to a point, but some of the players you leave out are starting at AIL 1A every week and also appearing in Provincial A teams. All of that exposure at that level counts a whole lot when assessing capability.

wise7 wrote: »
    Trial games are important to a point, but some of the players you leave out are starting at AIL 1A every week and also appearing in Provincial A teams. All of that exposure at that level counts a whole lot when assessing capability.

Was about to say this. Some of those left out havent played trial matches (some of those included havent really either.) they weren't playing in them for a reason, they've already proven themselves and as you say are playing at a higher/more important level.

Yeah but sure he said it was only based on trials games.

My starting back-line would be

9. Nick McCarthy
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Sam Arnold
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Ciaran Gaffney
    15. Billy Dardis

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭wise7

Yeah but sure he said it was only based on trials games.

My starting back-line would be

9. Nick McCarthy
    10. Ross Byrne
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    12. Sam Arnold
    13. Garry Ringrose
    14. Ciaran Gaffney
    15. Billy Dardis
    Yeah, fair point I know he only was going on trial games. Impressive line-up there and don't forget Jack Owens who is a serious force.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Anyone know what's become of Brewer? I know he was injured but seems to have completely fallen off the radar?

I just assumed he's been injured all this time considering there's never been an image of him in the Leinster training pics.

There's depth in nearly all back spots.

Scrum half:
    McCarthy
    Rock
    Cullen?

Outhalf:
    Byrne
    O' Hagan
    Carberry

Centre:
    Arnold
    Ringrose
    Brewer

Back 3:
    Dardis
    Gaffney
    Owens
    O Shea
    Stockdale
    Power

Look a bit light at centre although I'm definitely forgetting someone. Power and Stockdale can both play there too.

Quint2010 wrote: »
    Anyone know what's become of Brewer? I know he was injured but seems to have completely fallen off the radar?
    Simply injured I think and coaches may/may not include him depending on how he plays once back.
    wise7 wrote: »
    Experience at those levels and doing well in AIL and B&I will count much more than performances in 2 one off u20 games or should at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

I just assumed he's been injured all this time considering there's never been an image of him in the Leinster training pics.

Apparently he was playing for Terenure 20s against Marys last Friday. So not currently injured.

• Advertisement

Fergal Cleary in the centre. Owens can play there too.

I would say Bingham is ahead of O'Hagan in the out-half department as well. I also rate Tomas Quinlan. He's small but he's got good skills.

Then of course you have Stephen Fitzgerald, who can play full-back or wing.

I would say Bingham is ahead of O'Hagan in the out-half department as well. I also rate Tomas Quinlan. He's small but he's got good skills.

God plenty forgotten as I thought!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Apparently he was playing for Terenure 20s against Marys last Friday. So not currently injured.

Ah. Right. Good. I suspect he will have to get some game time at a higher level before being considered for the squad.

As I said, if teams were to be picked based on trial games then that was the team I would suspect. Obviously the squad will be based on much more than these games and my predicted 6 Nations XV is different to the one listed above. All in all, I believe we've got a good looking side here with a lot of strength in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

There's depth in nearly all back spots.

Scrum half:
    McCarthy
    Rock
    Cullen?

Outhalf:
    Byrne
    O' Hagan
    Carberry

Centre:
    Arnold
    Ringrose
    Brewer

Back 3:
    Dardis
    Gaffney
    Owens
    O Shea
    Stockdale
    Power

Look a bit light at centre although I'm definitely forgetting someone. Power and Stockdale can both play there too.

Cleary & not sure if Peter Robb is still underage?

Robb is overage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

it's usually Mid-January when the 6 Nations squad is announced, 28 players is the final number I believe. Carolan will have some difficult decisions to make. we've got 4 very good centres if Brewer is available, someones going to miss out.

Cleary or Stockdale could play centre. Fitzgerald is a terrific player and can play anywhere in the back three. O'Hagan is miles ahead of Bingham as a player, but his problem could be the new head coach. Quinlan is a great player who I think should be right up there, he is flying with Cork con in 1A and proving his worth, Carberry as I understand it is playing full back for UCD 20's ? Don't see how he gets the 10 berth behind Byrne? Interesting selection problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭typhoony

I know up in Ulster they rate Conor Young as a scrum-half, usually they supply more forwards but this year they'll have more backs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Was it just a challenge match? Mary's aren't in the top devision at 20's this season, and 20's doesn't start back after Chrismas till the 11th.

Advertisement