Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

I'm trolling by responding to the below comment with a school from south Dublin still in the competition?
    albacrypts wrote: »
    I expect that this board will go quiet now that no South County Dublin schools left. What are odds of no Dublin school in final for 2nd time in 5 years. Before 2011 one had to go back to 1941 for a similar event. Are Dublin losing their grip on this competition.

Predictions, fine, fair enough. Where did I say I had a problem with that? But have a bit of respect ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

themont85 wrote: »
    I'm trolling by responding to the below comment with a school from south Dublin still in the competition?

Predictions, fine, fair enough. Where did I say I had a problem with that? But have a bit of respect ffs.

You still haven't answered my second question

BDJW wrote: »
    You still haven't answered my second question

I did. I have no problem with someone saying that someone else will 100% win. I have no problems with predictions.

I merely responded to a comment saying there are no south Dublin schools left in the competition with a school who are. Saying "ah sure they don't count, they'll lose by 50" is complete ignorance, sorry.

I did. I have no problem with someone saying that someone else will 100% win. I have no problems with predictions.

I merely responded to a comment saying there are no south Dublin schools left in the competition with a school who are. Saying "ah sure they don't count, they'll lose by 50" is complete ignorance, sorry.

So you've changed your mind now? It was disrespectful a few minutes ago to say that a team would 100% win, but now you've no problem with it

So you've changed your mind now? It was disrespectful a few minutes ago to say that a team would 100% win, but now you've no problem

What are you talking about?

Someone said there was no south Dublin teams left (Current). I said there was. Person responds saying essentially "yes but they're irrelevant as they will lose by 50 tomorrow".

Not once did I say CBC would win, which is what you seemed to think was the point of the conversation.

Either you didn't read the preceding page and refusing to admit it or are just failing to grasp this simple little thing.

What are you talking about?

Someone said there was no south Dublin teams left (Current). I said there was. Person responds saying essentially "yes but they're irrelevant as they will lose by 50 tomorrow".

Not once did I say CBC would win, which is what you seemed to think was the point of the conversation.

Either you didn't read the preceding page and refusing to admit it or are just failing to grasp this simple little thing.
    Who says they'll win? Just saying it's a bit disrespectful to say they're out before the game has been played.

:confused:

In response to someone saying they are not in the competition.

Good God almighty, no wonder I left this topic a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Having seen the 1999, 2011 and 2013 teams I can say that regardless of being remembered or not, the Roscrea team of 2013 was BY FAR the best team they have had.
    2011 they had a favourable draw in a year (outside of Clongowes) that wasn't overly to the standard of the 2013 competition. That year they beat the favourites and were incredibly unfortunate to lose to the winners.

The numbers from that team in academies and national teams says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭albacrypts

There is at least 4 of Roscrea 2011 team in professional teams, Shane Leyden, Conor Finn, Rory Maloney and Oisin Heffernan. I may be wrong but same for 2013. Gaffney, O Brian, Maloney and Heffernan. Have I missed anyone

No disrespect was intended against CBC by saying no South County Dublin Schools left in competition. I thought they were already out. I hope they beat Belvo even though my head says they will lose.

To be fair to CBC they at least have won a cup back in 76 which is more than CCR have managed in 105 years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Belvo winning 14-0 with 7 mins gone.very impressive today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Belvo 19-0 up after 14 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

Belvo 19-0 up after 14 mins

Belvedere looking excellent. Definite 2nd favs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

There is at least 4 of Roscrea 2011 team in professional teams, Shane Leyden, Conor Finn, Rory Maloney and Oisin Heffernan. I may be wrong but same for 2013. Gaffney, O Brian, Maloney and Heffernan. Have I missed anyone

Jacob Walshe - Connacht Academy
    Sean O'Brien - Connacht Academy
    Rory Moloney - Connacht Academy
    Marc Kelly - Connacht Academy
    Ciaran Gaffney - Connacht Academy

Oisin Heffernan isn't in an Academy yet, but it's highly likely he'll go into the Leinster Academy.

22-0 with 21 mins gone

29-0

32-0 at half time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

CBC showing good fight. Unlucky there I thought the tackle was before the carrier had the ball.

37-7.
    Belvo now have bench emptied.

CBC not lying down,
    Fair dues

• Advertisement

42-14 final score.

Great fight by CBC in second half.

Belvo have plenty to work on despite the margin

Semi final draw

Clongowes vs Belvo March 3rd at 4pm

Roscrea vs Newbridge March 4th at 4pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Another minnow gets to a cup final so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

funtime93 wrote: »
    Another minnow gets to a cup final so.

Newbridge have won back to back league title and made back to back semi final appearances.
    Roscrea have made a big impression on the competition over the past number of seasons.

Everyone outside rock,michaels and clongowes can be considered minnows at this stage.

Not true I'm afraid when you look at junior talent coming through

Not true I'm afraid when you look at junior talent coming through

Explain?

• Advertisement

Belvo in last 2 Junior finals

ken76 wrote: »
    Belvo in last 2 Junior finals

Handy draws last two years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Handy draws last two years

Clongowes & Michaels last year on route to the final? Yeah so easy pal

Clongowes & Michaels last year on route to the final? Yeah so easy pal

Clongowes rarely up to much at jct. The michaels win was good to be fair.
    Year before that had a handy run.

Repeat of 2011 final then CWC v CCR but I would say expect a lot closer match. Not alone do I say it so does the money flowing into Paddy Power.

CWC will blow Belvo away. CCR \ Newbridge to finish less than a score between them.

Has there ever been a last 4 without a South County Dublin team. I doubt it but does anyone out there know better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

Repeat of 2011 final then CWC v CCR but I would say expect a lot closer match. Not alone do I say it so does the money flowing into Paddy Power.

CWC will blow Belvo away. CCR \ Newbridge to finish less than a score between them.

Has there ever been a last 4 without a South County Dublin team. I doubt it but does anyone out there know better

I don't know about that but the last time there was a final without a Dublin team was 1941 where Newbridge beat roscrea 9-3 after a replay

Edited to add of course there was the clongowes roscrea final in 2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

fox_1973 wrote: »
    I don't know about that but the last time there was a final without a Dublin team was 1941 where Newbridge beat roscrea 9-3 after a replay

and before that all the way back to 1932 when Pres beat Newbridge

High point in the history of schools rugby in Co Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

fox_1973 wrote: »

Roscrea v Clongowes a couple years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭fox_1973

its_phil wrote: »
    Roscrea v Clongowes a couple years ago

Yes of course, 2011 my apologies, I must of been zoned out that year

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Newbridge have won back to back league title and made back to back semi final appearances.
    Roscrea have made a big impression on the competition over the past number of seasons.

Everyone outside rock,michaels and clongowes can be considered minnows at this stage.

3rd semi final in a row now, actually.

Tables wrote: »
    3rd semi final in a row now, actually.

Exactly, hardly "minnows" still a perception that there is a "big 6" there is a gap between michaels,rock and clongowes and the rest. The chasing pack is probably newbridge,Roscrea and belvo.
    My everyone else is minnows was more directed at anyone who thinks Terenure and Mary's are somehow still up there above various league sides.

Exactly, hardly "minnows" still a perception that there is a "big 6" there is a gap between michaels,rock and clongowes and the rest. The chasing pack is probably newbridge,Roscrea and belvo.
    My everyone else is minnows was more directed at anyone who thinks Terenure and Mary's are somehow still up there above various league sides.

That's a much fairer comment and Id largely agree.

Looking forward to the semis

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

twies9 wrote: »
    Who impressed today for Belvo/CBC?

For Belvo 13 was fantastic - scored a hat trick. 10 was a very strong runner and 6 was good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Snegg

Just on Newbridge qualifying for the semi's three years in a row.
    I think it is fair to say that the luck of the draw has favoured them hugely.

In 2013 they had KH in the first round, and Monkstown in the second round. A loss to either team would have been considered an upset. And that year had some exceptional teams such as Terenure, Roscrea, Rock and Michaels, who they eventually lost to. They avoided all of them until the semi's.
    To be fair, they did only loose to Michaels by 4 points in the semi, but they scored a converted try in the dying minutes to make the scoreline look closer then the game actually was, and I don't think Michaels were ever going to loose that match.

I think 2014 was the strongest squad of the last 3 seasons. Again they played another school from the league, Roscrea and then a very weak Mary's side. Again, they were expected to beat both. That year they lost the semi to eventual winners Blackrock by 20 points.

Then this year, they beat Kilkenny very comfortably in the first round. And then a Andrew's side that was no where near as strong as it was the season before. Now they have Roscrea, who they narrowly beat in the league final. So this is their best chance of qualifying for the final. But I think the 3 other schools, CCR, CWC & Belvo would've all loved to face this Newbridge side in the semi.

So, to summarise. In the last 3 years, Newbidge have only faced one school from the so called "Big 6" prior to the semi-finals. And that was St.Mary's, and I think that no one will argue with the fact that Mary's probably shouldn't be considered a "Big 6" school at the moment (although they should've beaten Michaels this year). And in their last two semi's, I personnally don't feel that they ever looked like qualifying. And if Newbridge to bear Roscrea this year, I'd strongly favour either Clongowes or Belvo to win the competition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Snegg wrote: »

In 2013 they had KH in the first round, and Monkstown in the second round. A loss to either team would have been considered an upset. And that year had some exceptional teams such as Terenure, Roscrea, Rock and Michaels, who they eventually lost to. They avoided all of them until the semi's.
    To be fair, they did only loose to Michaels by 4 points in the semi, but they scored a converted try in the dying minutes to make the scoreline look closer then the game actually was, and I don't think Michaels were ever going to loose that match.

I think 2014 was the strongest squad of the last 3 seasons. Again they played another school from the league, Roscrea and then a very weak Mary's side. Again, they were expected to beat both. That year they lost the semi to eventual winners Blackrock by 20 points.

Then this year, they beat Kilkenny very comfortably in the first round. And then a Andrew's side that was no where near as strong as it was the season before. Now they have Roscrea, who they narrowly beat in the league final. So this is their best chance of qualifying for the final. But I think the 3 other schools, CCR, CWC & Belvo would've all loved to face this Newbridge side in the semi.

So, to summarise. In the last 3 years, Newbidge have only faced one school from the so called "Big 6" prior to the semi-finals. And that was St.Mary's, and I think that no one will argue with the fact that Mary's probably shouldn't be considered a "Big 6" school at the moment (although they should've beaten Michaels this year). And in their last two semi's, I personnally don't feel that they ever looked like qualifying. And if Newbridge to bear Roscrea this year, I'd strongly favour either Clongowes or Belvo to win the competition.
    Therefore Newbridge are indeed minnows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Can't dispute many of the facts you have produced, but what I would say is that the Newbirdge junior sides that are now their senior sides over past couple seasons have performed very well too, and you can only play what you're up against.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Favourable draws or not, 2 consecutive league titles and 3 consecutive semi finals is not an achievement to be scoffed at.

So what are Belvos chances against Clongowes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

ken76 wrote: »
    So what are Belvos chances against Clongowes?

I would price it 1/2 clongowes 6/4 Belvedere or thereabouts. Certainly not a foregone conclusion

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭bradders90

Would love to see how English schools rugby powerhouses, such as Dulwich, Sedbergh, Wellington, Whitgift and Millfield, would get on against the likes of Clongowes, Michaels, Blackrock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

bradders90 wrote: »
    Would love to see how English schools rugby powerhouses, such as Dulwich, Sedbergh, Wellington, Whitgift and Millfield, would get on against the likes of Clongowes, Michaels, Blackrock.
    Blackrock nearly always play 1 or 2 of them in the Autumn term every year. Not so sure about Clongowes/Michaels..
    Munster's Under 18 Schools Interpro team have played Millfield twice In the past few years, in August ahead of the interpros. They were comfortable winners last august and lost to them in 2013

Blackrock nearly always play 1 or 2 of them in the Autumn term every year. Not so sure about Clongowes/Michaels..
    Munster's Under 18 Schools Interpro team have played Millfield twice In the past few years, in August ahead of the interpros. They were comfortable winners last august and lost to them in 2013

The Munster under 18's play Millfield? That's odd considering that Millfield is just a school - mind you a very good one and Munster are a whole province.
    Didn't know about Blackrock playing any of them before the SCT, English schools rugby actually has quite good media coverage (albeit from 2 completely amateur online websites) and they haven't reported anything about Blackrock coming over and playing anyone.
    I just thought a match of the like between two schools rugby juggernauts would be incredibly interesting

I don't think Blackrock have played any of the top schools in recent times. They played Truro College this year, but I have no idea what standard they are.

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't think Blackrock have played any of the top schools in recent times. They played Truro College this year, but I have no idea what standard they are.
    They're average, i'd expect Blackrock to beat them handsomely

• Advertisement

bradders90 wrote: »
    They're average, i'd expect Blackrock to beat them handsomely

'Rock won by 7 I believe.

Advertisement