Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭the perfect ten

Obviously the yellow card made quite a difference with Clongowes scoring 21 points in that ten-minute spell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

tricky D wrote: »
    3 full scores ahead. I hope I'm not jinxing in saying I know where I'll be on Paddy's Day.
    tricky D wrote: »
    Phew, just kept it together (with a bit of help)

That would have been one of the funniest jinxings ever

• Registered Users Posts: 6 uylssesi

Game was all over the place, at the end the ref was giving penalties against clongowes for chop tackles unless im mistaken?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Synode wrote: »
    That would have been one of the funniest jinxings ever
    Perhaps for your good self, but no way for me. I had a spot of the wall ready as a target for my forehead. 'What have I done' came to mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Obviously the yellow card made quite a difference with Clongowes scoring 21 points in that ten-minute spell.
    Sin bin would only have 7 minutes though. 3 tries in 7 minutes or 10? Good use of extra man regardless of it being 7 or 10 minutes..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Tables

Black and white final it is. Surely it's wide open now. Newbridge have beaten Roscrea in the league final, but Roscrea are playing well and Belvedere probably aren't as good a team as Clongowes are, despite winning today.
    Certainly more open than it would have been if Clongowes won today anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Clongowes had a poor day and Belvo a good one. If Lineout worked they would have won. Clongowes 15 had a bit of a mare 1st half which led to 2 tries. Ref was poor and didn't help either team really. Belvo took their chances very well and their pack is a force along with their 2 big wingers. They will be favourites for the final no matter who wins tomorrow. Struck at how they just did the simple things very well and adapted to conditions much better than Clongowes which is what I had expected Clongowes to do but Belvo smarter and better on the day, well done to them

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coman123ryan

Other semis in thomond tomorrow between rockwell and glenstal should be a cracker

Other semis in thomond tomorrow between rockwell and glenstal should be a cracker
    Should be good game. Any other thoughts on the game?
    Stephen Fitzgeralds younger brother for second game in a row kicked a last minute penalty to get Ard Scoil into final.

What are people's thoughts on Connacht pulling out of the Schools Interpro championship from next September? It was mentioned by Tony Ward in the Indo today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

What are people's thoughts on Connacht pulling out of the Schools Interpro championship from next September? It was mentioned by Tony Ward in the Indo today

Is their a huge difference between the School and Clubs underage squads in Connacht?

I know in Leinster and Munster obviously there's quite a different standard as most play schools instead of club, but I'm not too up to date with Connacht players.

• Advertisement

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Is their a huge difference between the School and Clubs underage squads in Connacht?

I know in Leinster and Munster obviously there's quite a different standard as most play schools instead of club, but I'm not too up to date with Connacht players.
    The standard between top youths and schools sides in Munster is much closer than people here would think and most don't play schools in the province

The under 18 squads for youths and schools for Connacht would be virtually the same every year with only a small handful only playing on one of the teams

in Connacht Senior Schools Cup in final round of group games which are tomorrow there is essentially a semi final between Sligo Grammar and Summerhill Sligo. Garbally got 12 points from their 4 games and currently Sligo Grammar are on 11 and Summerhill are on 9. Winner joins Garbally in the final in two weeks time

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Tables wrote: »
    Black and white final it is. Surely it's wide open now. Newbridge have beaten Roscrea in the league final, but Roscrea are playing well and Belvedere probably aren't as good a team as Clongowes are, despite winning today.
    Certainly more open than it would have been if Clongowes won today anyways.

What sort of nonsense is that?

The only reason Clongowes came close yesterday is because of the yellow card.

How can you say Belvedere are not as good as Clongowes when the latter were very much flattered by the scoreline.

You then speculate that if Clongowes had won yesterday, then the final was a foegone conclusion as they are clearly the best team left in the competition despite having been beaten out the gate yesterday!

Time to stop living on past glories. Just because a school has a name for doing well in the past should have no bearing on current circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

How can you say Belvedere are not as good as Clongowes when the latter were very much flattered by the scoreline.

You then speculate that if Clongowes had won yesterday, then the final was a foegone conclusion as they are clearly the best team left in the competition despite having been beaten out the gate yesterday!

Time to stop living on past glories. Just because a school has a name for doing well in the past should have no bearing on current circumstances.

Agreed re yesterday, Belvedere were by far the better team on the day. Clongowes blessed to be within 10 points

Not sure about the past glories point though. Belvedere have won more SCT and JCT titles than anyone ex blackrock. Think the current tally is Belvedere 27, Clongowes 13

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Likewise the only reason Belvo were so far ahead was because of Clongowes shocking error count...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

I thought Belvedere were much better team, they dominated for the whole game, Clongowes had a 7 minute spell where Belvo collapsed, which will be a worry for them and I hope that doesn't play on their minds in the final. Belvedere finished the game on front foot under no pressure . The intercept happened again when Clongowes were under pressure. If Jennings who had an excellent game overall was more successful with his kicks (which were difficult) it would of been game over by half time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Belvo 8,9 & 10 stood out for me, surprised if they didnt get a Ireland U18 callup

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Hon the Dubs

Anyone have any idea what the odds were for a Belvo double before yesterday's game?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joscol

RBAI 10-6 CAI in the ulster schools cup semi yesterday, Wallace play Methody at Ravenhill in the second semi final tomorrow.

Anyone have any idea what the odds were for a Belvo double before yesterday's game?

No odds are quoted on JCT i don't think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭Ludikrus

Does anyone know where the Munster SCT final will be on this year, Thomond or Musgrave?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

8-0 Newbridge at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

That lad Larkin works his ass off but he's getting tossed around like a rag doll today. Not enough meat on the bones.

8-3 newbridge. Poor game, night and day to yesterday in standard

8-8
    60 mins gone

That's a penalty to Roscrea for me. Right in front of the ref.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Score?

Game over 8-8. Replay.

Have they done away with injury time in school's rugby? Didn't notice the clock being stopped...

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Is the Newbridge game on T na G later? Worth the watch?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Hagz wrote: »
    Game over 8-8. Replay.

When will that be played?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

vienne86 wrote: »
    When will that be played?

Next Monday

Hagz wrote: »
    Have they done away with injury time in school's rugby? Didn't notice the clock being stopped...
    Unless there was an official time keeper for game, clock doesn't stop during game like in the pros(as it doesn't need to)
    in Connacht Senior Schools Cup in final round of group games which are tomorrow there is essentially a semi final between Sligo Grammar and Summerhill Sligo. Garbally got 12 points from their 4 games and currently Sligo Grammar are on 11 and Summerhill are on 9. Winner joins Garbally in the final in two weeks time
    Marist Athlone defeated the Jes 33-19 but it wasn't enough to get a spot in the top two as Summerhill College Sligo's 15-14 victory over Sligo Grammar sees them set up a final against Garbally on March 18th
    Ludikrus wrote: »
    Does anyone know where the Munster SCT final will be on this year, Thomond or Musgrave?
    Was originally scheduled for Musgrave but with Rockwell and a Limerick school in the final its now being played in Thomond. Hopefully Munster branch play the other age grade finals in Thomond, on main pitch, as well as the schools this season

Also what do people think of Alan Quinlans article on schools rugby which was in the Times today
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/alan-quinlan-far-too-much-pressure-in-schools-rugby-1.2124829

Unless there was an official time keeper for game, clock doesn't stop during game like in the pros(as it doesn't need to)

I guess Setanta must have been stopping, because the second the tv clock turned red he said there's no time left to Roscrea. I'm just used to these schools games going well beyond the 70 min mark on the tv clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Also what do people think of Alan Quinlans article on schools rugby which was in the Times today
    http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/alan-quinlan-far-too-much-pressure-in-schools-rugby-1.2124829

thought Quinlan was spot on - its got way too professional now , players been poached etc ; one game and your gone , not good , pool stages ala HC would be much more balanced.
    Personally , witnessed the highs and lows of schools rugby, been dropped for a quarter , and losin a first round hurt like **** ... and a few decent victories , didn't make up for those losses, but that could be just me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

When you think about it, schools rugby is more of a step into the professional world than AIL, so it's to be expected really.

• Advertisement

thebaz wrote: »
    thought Quinlan was spot on - its got way too professional now, players been poached etc; one game and your gone, not good, pool stages ala HC would be much more balanced.
    Personally, witnessed the highs and lows of schools rugby, been dropped for a quarter, and losin a first round hurt like **** ... and a few decent victories, didn't make up for those losses, but that could be just me.
    Doubt it will change but it would be good If they tried it in Munster, Leinster and Ulster.
    How would you propose stopping or lowering the number of kids moving schools specifically for rugby especially in light of what Munster proposed last year
    .ak wrote: »
    When you think about it, schools rugby is more of a step into the professional world than AIL, so it's to be expected really.
    It is and isn't. Both are as important in most players cases. AIL will, for majority of players coming out of age grade(not just schools) the first time players are playing against men 3/4/5 + years older than them etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

Was at the game today and the stadium clock was indeed being stopped by the ref for injuries.

Would fancy Roscrea for the replay with their much bigger pack. They should be out of the cup tonight but instead they are breathing the sweet air of reprieved men. Newbridge will rue the simple missed early conversion and particularly one butchered overlap on the far side by the 10 towards the end

Just back from the match.

That was awful rubbish. Both teams have huge deficiencies - the Newbridge pack is light and the Roscrea backs missed numerous tackles. Every time the ball went out the Newbridge line they looked like scoring.

The Newbridge centres are class. The two best players on the pitch by a mile with No. 12 being MOTM.

I'm hearing the replay is on Monday as the junior cup semis are on Sunday and Tueday respectively. The alternative would be to have both Roscrea juniors and seniors play on the Tuesday but I can't see that happening.

The odds on Belvedere must have shortened considerably tonight. They'll be sleeping comfortably after that dour affair.

The odds were 3/10 before that game today, they can't have gone in much more Id say.

7 point handicap today.
    I'd say it'll be a 2 point handicap to Roscrea for next game.

It's the best possible result for Belvo.
    Let the two teams battle it out again and batter each other

It's the best possible result for Belvo.
    Let the two teams battle it out again and batter each other

That can work both ways. Whoever wins next week will be battle-hardened with a week's rest going into the final. A week is plenty of time to rest although there may be injuries.

I fancy Roscrea for the replay on the basis that they can't play as poorly again. The amount of errors made by both sides is unlikely to be repeated although the weather might play a role.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Seymourbobs

Thought it was a very well fought match with two teams playing very different styles of rugby. To call it awful rubbish is very harsh. Tremendous defence from Newbridge in the first 20 of the first half and again in the second. Roscrea had their chance to win with that scrum in the 22 at the end but they knocked it on. Belvo are a good rounded team but not vastly superior to either of the sides out today. Plus, this match was played in excellent sporting fashion as opposed to some of the nasty off the ball stuff on display yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

It's not like Belvo aren't battle hardened. It's only a positive for Belvo thats it gone to a replay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Without doubt the worst senior cup I can remember for a very long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Rugbyfan212

Agreed, one of the worst senior cups in memory but i have to say belvo look some side with their best players 8,9 and 10 being in fifth or fourth year

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭nathan99

funtime93 wrote: »

what makes it the worst senior cup, please do explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rugby2345

Very harsh to say that! There have been some cracking matches this year and most of the big boys knocked out which is great to see. Newbridge should have won today. Brilliant defensive display and counter attack was electric

funtime93 wrote: »

Garbage post.

The winners of the cup won't care one jot about flippant remarks like this.

Not a great game at Donnybrook today but I think that Roscrea should win the replay. The Roscrea 9 today was awful with on at least 4 or 5 occasions giving away the ball with aimless box kicks that gave no chance to anyone on his team to get up to regain possession. In general they made things hard for themselves but held on well at the end when Newbridge were threatening a score in the last few minutes. Newbridge's backs were better for sure on the day. But if Roscrea can get within 10 metres of the line consistently their forward power should see them get tries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

In terms of entertainment there's been some exciting finishes to games but quality wise it's not of the same level as past years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

Have quite enjoyed this years cup. Maybe it's the upsets. Maybe it's the pitch. But there has been some really good play and close finishes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement