Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

People always say it is a poor year when Rock,Michaels or Clongowes are not involved in the later stages.
    Clongowes and Michaels
    Clongowes and Belvo T
    Roscrea and Rock
    roscrea and Newbridge
    these were all gripping game. Far more entertaining than most Rabo games. The standard has been very good but there hasn't been the stars that neutrals like to get behind. when people haven't been able to get a "name" or "the next BOD" they are disappointed and call it inferior. Judge it by the games not by the "names" people!

just to clarify i think there has been some stars in the making.
    Belvo 8,9,12 all excellent
    Rock 10, 13
    Clongowes 2.7,8,13(injured)
    Michaels 8 (would include ryan but didn't really star)
    Newbridge 12,13
    Roscrea 8

some of these lads are in 5th/4th year and will be talked about in time

• Registered Users Posts: 2 brdige

FrannoFan wrote: »
    People always say it is a poor year when Rock,Michaels or Clongowes are not involved in the later stages.
    Clongowes and Michaels
    Clongowes and Belvo T
    Roscrea and Rock
    roscrea and Newbridge
    these were all gripping game. Far more entertaining than most Rabo games. The standard has been very good but there hasn't been the stars that neutrals like to get behind. when people haven't been able to get a "name" or "the next BOD" they are disappointed and call it inferior. Judge it by the games not by the "names" people!

Rock 10, 13
    Newbridge 12,13
    Roscrea 8

Quality of some games has been questionable, entertainment has been good but quality on previous years is down.
    There is a star in the making, his name is James Ryan. He will be the only player to go straight from schools rugby to the Leinster Academy since Billy Dardis did two years ago.

Below him there are some talented 6th years - Hugo Kean, Max Deegan, Will Connors, Jonny Guy, Colm Mulcahy, Jimmy O'Brien, Jake Howlett, Tim Foley, Tim Carroll.
    Below that there are some talented 5th years - Conor Johnson, Aaron Browne, Tom De Jongh, Caelan Doris, Conor Dean, Jack Kelly, Gavin Mullin, Conor Jennings.
    Below that there is some very talented 4th years - Patrick Patterson, Hugh O'Sullivan, Sean McCrohan, Johnny Fairley, Peter Sullivan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joscol

How would the top teams in Leinster fare against the top teams from the other provinces? there should be some sort of interprovincial schools championship with the 4 schools cup winners playing each other.

joscol wrote: »
    How would the top teams in Leinster fare against the top teams from the other provinces? there should be some sort of interprovincial schools championship with the 4 schools cup winners playing each other.

This has been discussed before I believe and I've often thought why not, seems like a good idea. It would only mean 2 more matches for the provincial winners.
    Probably not done because it would mean that the brand of the provincial cups would be diminished.
    Can't see it having all that big an effect on the schedule of things so I don't really buy that argument.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Annabella1

FrannoFan wrote: »
    Clongowes and Michaels
    Clongowes and Belvo T
    Roscrea and Rock
    roscrea and Newbridge

Rock 10, 13
    Newbridge 12,13
    Roscrea 8

Bit hasty maybe.
    Statistics show that maybe a 'star' comes out of the Leinster Schools System every 2-3 years
    Many pack it in after school such is the intensity of training etc
    Also injuries and of course the lads who hit the beer etc !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Leinster sides would be stronger overall. In the main they've bigger schools therefore bigger numbers. Leinster schools more often than most have outside coaches and are fee paying and can afford the best.
    Just look at winners of interpro championships at under 18 schools level. Leinster winners every season bar this season for over a decade.
    No there wont be an all Ireland put in place. There isn't the desire for it. Schools cups finish around paddys day. You then have irish u18 schools games and u19 games and then you have easter etc.
    Annabella1 wrote: »
    Bit hasty maybe.
    Statistics show that maybe a 'star' comes out of the Leinster Schools System every 2-3 years
    And system needs to be looked at as to why so many drop out of the sport. Better links with clubs and clubs age grade/adult levels need to be in place to keep more playing the sport

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joscol

Wallace 12-10 Methody in the ulster semi final, Wallace RBAI final now on the 17th at Ravenhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Coman123ryan

To say leinster teams would dominate is utter crap there are some excellent munster and ulster schools not so sure about connaght schools challenging though would be interesting to see for sure and almost most munster schools are coached by outside people and former pros and I'm sure it's the same way in ulster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭typhoony

Annabella1 wrote: »
    Bit hasty maybe.

completely agree with you the attrtition rate is very high, also a lot of the stars at schools level don't develop further, 2 years in the academy and they blend in with the rest. Would be interested to hear which players over the last 10 years that were considered stars at schools have gone on to be stars at senior level.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 brdige

typhoony wrote: »
    completely agree with you the attrtition rate is very high, also a lot of the stars at schools level don't develop further, 2 years in the academy and they blend in with the rest. Would be interested to hear which players over the last 10 years that were considered stars at schools have gone on to be stars at senior level.

blend it with the rest playing professional rugby, which is actually quite hard to do?

Every player who is a star at schools won't make it professionally, quite a large amount of players who enter the academy end up playing rugby professionally and if they don't it's usually down to injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 aspin

Small matter of leaving cert though

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Waternut

They seem to make time for it in the Schools GAA calender (finals played around Patrick's Day). Not only that but they also have group stages in the provinces GAA calender....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,817 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Brian McLaughlin's son scored the winning try for RBAI against CAI in the Ulster Schools Cup semi final.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/31717403

MCB missed a last gasp kick to beat Wallace in yesterday's semi

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/31759296

Video links will only work if you are in the UK.

It's also Inst v Wallace in the Medallion Shield final (equivalent of JCT).

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

funtime93 wrote: »
    Without doubt the worst senior cup I can remember for a very long time.

It seems to me that sometimes if Rock aren't in the final then it can be viewed as a talentless year...

I remember the 2005 final when Belvo beat Rock and Belvo didn't get much of a mention beforehand yet it was a team that included Healy, Keatley, ODonoghue and the Pendred guy that ended up in ufc since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Waternut wrote: »
    They seem to make time for it in the Schools GAA calender (finals played around Patrick's Day). Not only that but they also have group stages in the provinces GAA calender....
    The GAA competitions start earlier and they don't have lead in qualification cups in same year. In Leinster/Munster teams who are in the bottom rank: Section A/C schools all could in theory win provincial senior cup on Paddys Day. Unless entered into Section A Cup you cant win the Harty
    To say leinster teams would dominate is utter crap there are some excellent munster and ulster schools not so sure about connaght schools challenging though would be interesting to see for sure and almost most munster schools are coached by outside people and former pros and I'm sure it's the same way in ulster
    There is some good schools in Munster and Ulster but Leinster schools would dominate. Look at friendly results. Leinster schools beat the schools from other provinces more often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Berticus wrote: »
    It seems to me that sometimes if Rock aren't in the final then it can be viewed as a talentless year...

I remember the 2005 final when Belvo beat Rock and Belvo didn't get much of a mention beforehand yet it was a team that included Healy, Keatley, ODonoghue and the Pendred guy that ended up in ufc since.

That Belvo team were favourites and I remember because I was at their game against Roscrea where they were very close to being beaten and everyone commenting how brilliant it would have been to knock out the favourites beforehand. Alas it wasn't to be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

its_phil wrote: »
    That Belvo team were favourites and I remember because I was at their game against Roscrea where they were very close to being beaten and everyone commenting how brilliant it would have been to knock out the favourites beforehand. Alas it wasn't to be

Eoin O'Malley was also in that team and they certainly weren't favourites beforehand

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Islander13 wrote: »
    Eoin O'Malley was also in that team and they certainly weren't favourites beforehand

Tom Sexton Ex Lansdowne, Leinster and now Melbourne rebels was also on that team I think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Islander13

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Tom Sexton Ex Lansdowne, Leinster and now Melbourne rebels was also on that team I think?

No he was the 2008 winning team captain I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

Rock and Belvo meet tomorrow in the junior cup semi finals.
    Belvo have lost to Rock the last 3 years
    2014- Final 14-10
    2013- Final 17-10
    2012- 1st Round 3-0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Berticus

Na Belvo were definitely not favourites against rock in the final. Maybe for the roscrea match just though. Good look back there recently from some of the team members in the irish times article....

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugby/schools-rugby-belvedere-have-total-recall-of-2005-triumph-over-blackrock-1.2079780

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Methody beaten in the Ulster SC semi. :eek:

Final is Wallace v RBAI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Junior cup semi final.

Rock went through 40 phases in 1st 5 mins.
    Penalty came and took 3 points.

All Belvo since then.
    Over in the corner for a well deserved try.
    Conversion missed

5-3 at HT.

Belvo butchered 3 other try opportunities.
    Well worth the lead.

Rock 13 & Belvo 10 & 15 are the stand out players for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭JPCN1

Any update? Thanks!

6-5 to Rock

8-6 Belvo.

4 mins left

Rock over in the corner on 60:00.
    Conversion scored.
    13-8 win for them.

Close game.
    Belvo did more than enough to win it.
    Will rue those missed chances in 1st half.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Belvo must be sick. Lost last two finals to them and now a semi final

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭milosh

It was a very nervy affair today (not helped by a whistle happy and inconsistant ref) and it ended up being a very poor quality semi final. Either side could have won it really and no individual really lit up the game. You would have to feel sorry for Belvo but that's cup rugby.

Based on this game only, I think that the winner will come from the other semi final but you never know with Juniors.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Lobby Con Shine

Rocreaa V Newbridge on tomorrow evening.

Weather forecast is poor which should suit Roscrea.

• Advertisement

5-3 Newbridge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

We got a game goin.

Roscrea 10 - 5 Newbridge

Great try

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

Is the wind with Roscrea at the minute?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Is the wind with Roscrea at the minute?

Yes

That was harsh on Newbridge, your man was in the air for an age. Cost them 5 points

Your man Trayers is a shoe in for the Connacht Academy.

15-5.

Roscrea's pack doing damage

Defending seems to be optional today. A lot of missed or poor tackles on both sides.
    Great entertainment though

• Advertisement

20-12.

Game on but defending is appalling

Rain starting to fall up the road from Donnybrook

Rain starting to fall up the road from Donnybrook

Thank God. Roscrea need every advantage they can get with the wind against them this half

C'mon the Bridge!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭funtime93

Such a joke that one of these two will be in the final.Terrible standard of rugby on show today and the last day.

Felt that should have been a turnover for Newbridge. Few big calls might have gone Roscreas way

• Advertisement

Felt that should have been a turnover for Newbridge. Few big calls might have gone Roscreas way

Should have been a pen to Bridge.

Red has been brilliant overall, not penalising heavily at all. 5 by my count

The standard of rugby has been awful today. Kicking, tackling and fielding have been dreadful

Should have been a pen to Bridge

That's what I thought. All Newbridge at the minute but Roscrea look quite comfortable. Newbridge need to use the wind better.

The standard of rugby has been awful today. Kicking, tackling and fielding have been dreadful

Agreed on all those counts but there have been some brilliant hands and exploitation of space by both teams

Agreed on all those counts but there have been some brilliant hands and exploitation of space by both teams

The open play has been very exciting agreed

Edit: that was brilliant until the final pass

• Advertisement
Advertisement