Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Schools Cup 2014/2015 *mod warning post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Neither Roscrea or Newbridge will threaten this year in SCT both fairly average compared to years gone by. Will be between Michaels & Rock depending on the draw with Clongowes hoping to spoil and Belvo maybe getting in on the party

• Registered Users Posts: 21 HRB

ArmchairQB wrote: »
    Neither Roscrea or Newbridge will threaten this year in SCT both fairly average compared to years gone by. Will be between Michaels & Rock depending on the draw with Clongowes hoping to spoil and Belvo maybe getting in on the party

Have you seen either play? Thought roscrea were handy enough this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 RockD8

wesley333 wrote: »
    Ones to watch from both games were Roscrea ~ Tim Foley(Out half) Tim Carroll(Full back) Mikhail Jourdan (Replacement second row) Newbridge ~ Jake Howlett (Outside Centre) Curly haired No.8 impressed as well

Completely agree with what you're saying. Was at both semi finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wesley333

Very uneducated statement. Obviously know nothing about the history of both schools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

Roscrea beat a decent Gonzaga side comprehensively. It wasn't long ago they were knocking out a favoured Terenure side and a bit of composure away from Beating Rock who went on to win it.
    The league winners can be expected to make at least semi finals depending on the draw and from there anything can happen.
    Michaels and Rock seem to be favorites but not much between the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Tixel

Any news on the cup draw being made tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Junior Cup Draw
    Begins on the week of 1st February

Belvedere College vs St Gerard's
    Qualifier 2 vs St. Michaels
    Castleknock vs Qualifier 1
    Terenure vs King's Hospital
    Roscrea vs St Mary's
    Gonzaga vs Newbridge
    Kilkenny vs Pres Bray
    Clongowes vs Blackrock

Senior Cup Draw
    Matches will begin on February

Wesley College vs Roscrea
    Kilkenny College vs Newbridge College
    Gonzaga College vs Belvedere
    Qualifier 1 vs St Andrews
    Clongowes vs Qualifier 2
    Terenure vs Blackrock
    St Michael's vs St Mary's
    CUS vs CBC Monkstown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭RedemptionZ

Michaels vs Mary's, rock Terenure, belvedere gonzaga, Clongowes Q2, CBC CUS Wesley roscrea aaand Kilkenny newbridge, think that's all?

On paper anyway an easy draw for all the big schools.

Edit: Andrews vs Q1 too. D'oh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭AndonHandon

I don't predict any upsets from that draw. Any insight into Belvo or Kilkenny this year? I know Terenure would have a better chance if they were a snowball in hell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rughug

Michaels vs Mary's, rock Terenure, belvedere gonzaga, Clongowes Q2, CBC CUS Wesley roscrea aaand Kilkenny newbridge, think that's all?

On paper anyway an easy draw for all the big schools.

Edit: Andrews vs Q1 too. D'oh!

Okay .Make your predictions as to who would be likely to get to the qfinal draw in SCT.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭OceanSixteen

My predictions for the Junior Cup First round matches

Belvedere College vs St Gerard's (Belvedere)
    Qualifier 2 vs St. Michaels (St Michaels)
    Castleknock vs Qualifier 1 (Castleknock)
    Terenure vs King's Hospital (Terenure)
    Roscrea vs St Mary's (St Marys)
    Gonzaga vs Newbridge (Gonzaga)
    Kilkenny vs Pres Bray (Pres Bray)
    Clongowes vs Blackrock (Blackrock)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Castleknock are in the Vinnie Murray Cup? That's a second tier competition right?
    How is it decided who goes in there?
    From a school with a once proud tradition it's some come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭The Parish King

How have Monkstown gotten on this season? I haven't seen anything of them this season but looks like the juniors didn't make the cup anyway, must be the first time in years.

I think the current fifth years were being primed as genuine contenders for next year but must have been more dependant on Dan Casey than they realised!

rughug wrote: »
    Okay .Make your predictions as to who would be likely to get to the qfinal draw in SCT.

Michaels, Rock, Belvo, Roscrea, Andrews, Clongowes, Newbridge and CBC would be my predictions. 5/8 are very high probability of happening, Andrews, CBC and Newbridge not as certain but I'd back them against their opponents, Andrews still have a few players returning from last years dream team.

Senior Cup Draw

Clongowes vs Qualifier 2
    Terenure vs Blackrock
    CUS vs CBC Monkstown

I'd go for:
    Roscrea
    Newbridge
    Belvedere
    Andrews
    Clongowes
    Rock
    Michaels
    CBC

What about the SCT?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 458 ✭✭stellenbosch

How have Monkstown gotten on this season? I haven't seen anything of them this season but looks like the juniors didn't make the cup anyway, must be the first time in years.

I think the current fifth years were being primed as genuine contenders for next year but must have been more dependant on Dan Casey than they realised!

CBC finished 3rd in their league section and played Roscrea in the qtr final and lost 21-17. I was at the game. They spent the last 10 minutes on Roscreas line and should have scored. They are decent and have some nice footballers and have had some good friendly and league wins. Beat Kilkenny and Castlenock easily in their league section. They should account for CUS.

Their Juniors atre weak and are in the Fr Godfrey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Castleknock are in the Vinnie Murray Cup? That's a second tier competition right?
    How is it decided who goes in there?
    From a school with a once proud tradition it's some come down.
    Vinnie Murray is for the schools who compete in main league and don't qualify for the main SSC through that, some of the schools in section B league and others who get through the other lower tier cups
    Senior Cup Draw

Clongowes vs Qualifier 2
    Terenure vs Blackrock
    CUS vs CBC Monkstown
    Roscrea comfortably beat Wesley when they faced each other in the league so you would expect them to win the cup game. No other repeats of competitive games. Interesting 4 of the big 6 facing each other
    Monkstown, Michaels, Blackrock, Clongowes, Belvedere, Newbridge, Roscrea to win. Depends on who qualifies as to Andrews...

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

Vinnie Murray is for the schools who compete in main league and don't qualify for the main SSC through that, some of the schools in section B league and others who get through the other lower tier cups

Roscrea comfortably beat Wesley when they faced each other in the league so you would expect them to win the cup game. No other repeats of competitive games. Interesting 4 of the big 6 facing each other
    Monkstown, Michaels, Blackrock, Clongowes, Belvedere, Newbridge, Roscrea to win. Depends on who qualifies as to Andrews...

Yeah would go along with that but would fancy Andrews to get past the qualifying team no matter

• Advertisement

The Favourites will be looking as this draw as favourable towards them and doubtful there will be any shocks.

Reckon Roscrea will beat Mary's. Mary's not what they used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭Quint2010

I don't predict any upsets from that draw. Any insight into Belvo or Kilkenny this year? I know Terenure would have a better chance if they were a snowball in hell.

Yeah don't think Terenure have much of a chance against 'Rock.. 'Michaels put 50 points on them last weekend. Juniors are meant to be quality though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 wesley333

Blackrock will be challenging the cup more next year than anything with the nucleas of the team pretty much made of fifth years but that said the driving flagellum will be driven by Hugo Keane. Wesley will put a stern test to CCR but Roscreas forwards will bring them over the gain line. Wesley will eventually succumb to the fluvio-glacial dominance of the Roscrea tight five.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭Bridge93

wesley333 wrote: »
    Blackrock will be challenging the cup more next year than anything with the nucleas of the team pretty much made of fifth years but that said the driving flagellum will be driven by Hugo Keane. Wesley will put a stern test to CCR but Roscreas forwards will bring them over the gain line. Wesley will eventually succumb to the fluvio-glacial dominance of the Roscrea tight five.

Would be a serious achievement for Hugo Keane to leave school with 3 winning Senior medals if it happens. Has a junior one too. Not a bad haul as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mynamesjeff

When are the dates for the cup out?

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Would be a serious achievement for Hugo Keane to leave school with 3 winning Senior medals if it happens. Has a junior one too. Not a bad haul as it is.

I can see Belvo sneaking a win in the two coming years, wouldn't say Keane is guaranteed anything yet.

I can see Belvo sneaking a win in the two coming years, wouldn't say Keane is guaranteed anything yet.

Keane is a 6th year? He'll most likely captain the team this year.

Bridge93 wrote: »
    Keane is a 6th year? He'll most likely captain the team this year.

Apologies! For some reason in my head he was a 4th year and thought you were predicting Rock to win it next 3 years in a row :o

College work getting the best of me these days!

• Advertisement

Apologies! For some reason in my head he was a 4th year and thought you were predicting Rock to win it next 3 years in a row :o

College work getting the best of me these days!

I'm the same. These UCD exams have me all over the place!

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

Yeah would go along with that but would fancy Andrews to get past the qualifying team no matter

Think Jordan Larmour is out for the season though which is a huge loss.

Connacht schools cup has started
    Summerhill Sligo beat Marist Athlone 23-6. Don't think Sligo Grammar and Garbally was played. All rest of games to be played after christmas

Connacht schools cup has started
    Summerhill Sligo beat Marist Athlone 23-6. Don't think Sligo Grammar and Garbally was played. All rest of games to be played after christmas

Any news on the Leinster Junior League final.. Castleknock v Roscrea on this afternoon at 4pm.in Donnybrook.

rughug wrote: »
    Any news on the Leinster Junior League final.. Castleknock v Roscrea on this afternoon at 4pm.in Donnybrook.
    Try twitter etc though I think Castleknock won

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Knock won with last kick of game 8-5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Rugby_Man5

Whats the marys sct like this year. Will they put up a challenge to michaels ?

Think Jordan Larmour is out for the season though which is a huge loss.

If he is that'll put a huge dampener on their hopes for a good run in the cup. He's a 5th year right? So at least he'll have another year. I remember people said last year he played for Ireland in hockey, if so does anyone know what sport he's leaning towards? He'd probably get in Leinster U20s but he'd have to give up hockey if that's the case, probably same situation for Irish hockey U20.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 andrews0

If he is that'll put a huge dampener on their hopes for a good run in the cup. He's a 5th year right? So at least he'll have another year. I remember people said last year he played for Ireland in hockey, if so does anyone know what sport he's leaning towards? He'd probably get in Leinster U20s but he'd have to give up hockey if that's the case, probably same situation for Irish hockey U20.

He wouldnt get in leinster 20's next year as he is still in school... so he'd be with the 19's.
    He is a very good player but I wouldnt class him as a super talent, and physically he is quite small.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 andrews0

Rock only have two players(Doris/Keane) back who played in last years senior cup final, it would be some achievement if they got their 3rd cup.
    Granted they won the last two JCT's but not sure many of last years team will be ready to contribute.
    They have a massive 4th year lock, must be about 6'6.

andrews0 wrote: »
    He wouldnt get in leinster 20's next year as he is still in school... so he'd be with the 19's.
    He is a very good player but I wouldnt class him as a super talent, and physically he is quite small.

I mean when he finishes school, Leinster 18s wouldn't be as demanding or important for your future in Irish rugby so he might just about manage the two sports. Well he was brilliant in last years cup anyway really impressed me.

• Advertisement

From a few Andrews lads I think he's more rugby but don't wuote me on that. He only ever played hockey in school, no club which in hockey circles apparently is nearly unheard of to make the Irish team from. If he played for Ireland but still didnt join a club (schools hockey is dead by all accounts) I would imagine he would be playing it as a hobby (very good hobby!) but be leaning towards rugby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

I might find an answer if I were to read all 300+ posts here, but I'm too lazy:

I see from the LSSC draw that Castleknock are in the other competition (can't remember what it's called) to try to qualify for the Cup proper.

Why's that? Is there some kind of relegation system in place? If so, I'd never heard of it before. How does the system operate?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I might find an answer if I were to read all 300+ posts here, but I'm too lazy:

I see from the LSSC draw that Castleknock are in the other competition (can't remember what it's called) to try to qualify for the Cup proper.

Why's that? Is there some kind of relegation system in place? If so, I'd never heard of it before. How does the system operate?

Thanks.

They didn't finish high enough in their league group to be able to qualify for the cup automatically. They now enter the Vinnie Murphy cup to try and qualify for the cup.

They didn't finish high enough in their league group to be able to qualify for the cup automatically. They now enter the Vinnie Murphy cup to try and qualify for the cup.

Huh? I thought I saw something on Facebook today about them winning the League final! Was I dreaming, or did someone drag up some old clip?

EDIT: That was apparently Junior. http://www.leinsterrugbydomestic.com/results/7183/latest_results

Huh? I thought I saw something on Facebook today about them winning the League final! Was I dreaming, or did someone drag up some old clip?

EDIT: That was apparently Junior. http://www.leinsterrugbydomestic.com/results/7183/latest_results

Juniors won the League. Seniors finished 5th in League group so don't automatically qualify for cup. top 4 in each pool only. (Gonzaga had same last year)

Newbridge beat Roscrea 20-19 tonight in the Senior League Final

... They now enter the Vinnie Murphy cup to try and qualify for the cup.

Is this Castleknock's first time ever in the Vinnie Murray?

Is this Castleknock's first time ever in the Vinnie Murray?
    I doubt it. Would they have done well enough in league all through the years to never once have played Vinnie Murray?

Dates/Venues have been set for opening games in each of the Cups...

I doubt it. Would they have done well enough in league all through the years to never once have played Vinnie Murray?

Back in my day, there was no league. And at the time, 'knock were second behind 'rock in the list of who'd won the LSSC most often.

Given that the league is a relatively recent development, I assume promotion/relegation is too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

Knock only just joined the league in past few seasons. They were a member of the big 6 for a long time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement