Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

using my o2 iPhone in spain

Options
  • 21-07-2014 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭

hi all,
    going to Porta Banus on sat. and want to bring my iPhone. Im wondering as Im a bill payer would i be able to use the phone in spain with free-roaming and more importantly can I use it to access the internet?
    Im hoping to download some sort of a navigation app that I can use when driving from the phone and am open to suggestions
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

hi all,
    going to Porta Banus on sat. and want to bring my iPhone. Im wondering as Im a bill payer would i be able to use the phone in spain with free-roaming and more importantly can I use it to access the internet?
    Im hoping to download some sort of a navigation app that I can use when driving from the phone and am open to suggestions
    Thanks

Free roaming? Not a hope. Avoid the navigating app unless you can use it offline, data charges are the biggest rip off when roaming

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

just downloaded a free app called NavFree Spain.. hopefully this could work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

so its a case of going into O2 and asking them for a specific data download add on to my current package, just the for period of time I'm over there?
    cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was over in Spain 2 years ago with my new 02 smart phone. 1st smart phone and I hadn't a clue about any of the apps or the costs etc. It was a work bill pay phone.

Not wanting to get caught with an unexpected bill, I rang 02 before I went and was told that I had a big enough free data allowance and that I would be fine.

On the 4th day of the holiday, I got a text from them to tell me that I had used up E50 worth of data, plus vat.

I wasn't using it for anything much and not for surfing the web. just reading the occasional email etc.

When I came home I was able to argue the toss with them because they had my previous phone call on record, where they advised me that I would be grand, and they agreed to waive the E60 euro charge. Other than that I would have been liable for the bill.

Be very careful about any app that uses a mobile signal (ie maps etc) while abroad. The first thing you know is the text telling you that you have exceeded your allowance, and this E50 cap was only brought in by the EU because people were coming home from holidays with bills running into thousands.

Now every time I leave the Country I select the don't roam option.

• Advertisement
Advertisement