Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Yellow cards wiped after CL & EL QF's from this season.

• 22-07-2014 1:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Article on the BBC football website stating that UEFA have decided that all yellow cards picked in the group stages and up to and including the quarter finals will expire at this point for both competitions. Should be harder now for players to miss a final.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28368396

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

This should be a good thing. Yes it allows a "free yellow" in the Last 16, but that shouldn't really make much of a difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

poor decision imo, you take your punishment. this is just sentimental crap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Cynical and tactical fouling will become an even more significant component of the finals now. It's the same for all teams, I guess. Not great for the neutral and the deterrent of missing the final would surely have reduced the tactical fouling. Think from a spectacle point of view this rule is a mistake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

What if a player picks up his second yellow in the second leg of the qf?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

COYVB wrote: »
    What if a player picks up his second yellow in the second leg of the qf?

That gives a ban as far as I know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

That gives a ban as far as I know.

Two yellows in the 2nd leg of a QF, hence a red would lead to a one match ban. This rule change doesn't affect red cards I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Best rules charge they have made in years for me.
    Its ridiculous seeing a player missing a major final due to a silly yellow.
    Remember Costacurta missed both World Cup final and European Cup final in 1994, the second being from Klinnsman dive if Irremember correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

One mans silly yellow is another mans cynical tackle to ensure a chance is not created.

Should have left it as is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭paulbok

So will a yellow in both legs of a semi final, still mean a player misses the final?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

poor decision imo, you take your punishment. this is just sentimental crap

Domestic leagues have a far lighter punishment structure (5 yellow cards before a suspension in the EPL) so I really don't see the problem with a slight loosening of the harsher CL rules.
    Turtwig wrote: »
    Cynical and tactical fouling will become an even more significant component of the finals now. It's the same for all teams, I guess. Not great for the neutral and the deterrent of missing the final would surely have reduced the tactical fouling. Think from a spectacle point of view this rule is a mistake.

Last two World Cups have had this rule (yellows wiped after quarter final) without any obvious downside. Small sample size obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I'm a fan of the change. Tactical fouling is an important aspect of the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I think it was a bit sick the way that you could be booked in the 1st leg of the Round of 16, nothing then, until the 2nd leg of the Semi-Final and you miss the biggest match of your life. Horrible so it was. Affected my own team in a big way a couple of years ago (but it all worked out in the end... ;) ).

I think it's the right decision. Sure, didn't José do something to get around it? Deliberately getting players to pick up bookings via time-wasting so they would have a "clean slate" going into the knockout stages? For sure, he got lambasted for it, but in my opinion it was tactically brilliant and astute. The players miss an unimportant game and come back for the knockout stages with no worries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I don't think its right. Hard luck to the players who lose out in situations like this
    but a silly yellow in one game is a totally cynical tackle in another

Should have kept it the same. No need to change this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

There should be an extra deterrent for cynical fouls. Whether it be sin-bins, penalties or allowing the team to take the free from wherever they like.

There should never, ever be a case of where the fouling team benefit from fouling somebody. It completly ruins so many (if not all) games. Every single game you see a case of a counter attack ending with a cynical foul>free kick>yellow and the fouling team are of the better.

Even the GAA have tried to address the problem. My preference would be 10 mins in a sin bin for anything the ref deems deliberate or a free kick in the place that the team chooses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There should be an extra deterrent for cynical fouls. Whether it be sin-bins, penalties or allowing the team to take the free from wherever they like.

There should never, ever be a case of where the fouling team benefit from fouling somebody. It completly ruins so many (if not all) games. Every single game you see a case of a counter attack ending with a cynical foul>free kick>yellow and the fouling team are of the better.

Even the GAA have tried to address the problem. My preference would be 10 mins in a sin bin for anything the ref deems deliberate or a free kick in the place that the team chooses.

Well if even the GAA are doing it, then football should absolutely follow suit! :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Kirby wrote: »
    Well if even the GAA are doing it, then football should absolutely follow suit! :P

I dont understand what point you are trying to make?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Sheepy99

Cynical fouls are common as it is.
    The only difference is that when they were one yellow from a suspension, the players would suddenly care about being booked. There'll be a marginal increase, nothing that'll change the game(s) too much from how they are now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

3 yellows in 10 matches isn't a lot tbh. Somebody mentioned the EPL, 5 yellows up to December I think, about 14/15 games.

As for cynical fouls, craftier managers will know which players aren't in danger from yellows and get them to do the professional type fouls.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Great news and about time too – this should be the case in all tournaments (including world and euro finals)

Too many finals ruined by key players missing due to the 2 yellow rule where one yellow could have been picked up in the first game, 12 matches previously in the case of the CL.

Advertisement