Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What ever happened to video cameras

• 22-07-2014 2:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭

Yesterday I was cleaning out the house while I came across a range of video tapes for the vcr.
    So i played some of them and they were all dated back during my good young years.
    Back then we as a family had a fondess of recording you could almost say we would vlog as they call it now.
    Bring to journeys,places, keep diaries etc.
    Now 2 or 3 years ago the video camera broke. A piece fell broke from the place where you insert the cassettes for recording so now it does not play nor move.
    This whole experience had hyped me up to start again.
    So now I am in need lf a camera.
    I have an S4 but you dont feel as fun as you would with a camera, I am sure some people can relate.
    So i looked in argos and my God, they are barely any for sale.
    Just under 15 to choose from, same story online.
    It looks as if people have started using more of digital cameras.
    But back 10 years ago digital cameras were only for taking pics.
    Now i see some vlogges using them.
    So qs is.
    Shall I buy a digital camera or video camera.
    I have absolute no interest in taking photos but then again I am hearing the digital cameras recording as as much better then video camera.
    So could someone guide me to this.
    I have also uploaded a pic of my video camera

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭almorris

If you buy a dslr, factor in the price of a decent, large capacity card for recording. SD cards aren't too pricey, but cf cards are a different story. Good thing is most entry level dslr's are sd cards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

I would say that a DSLR would be a bit too bulky for vlogging and the specs would be a little on the unnecessary side for what you need. I'd look into something more light weight and compact, which can still be mounted on a tripod - but could also be hand held to allow a self video?

On a basic level, an iPhone can do what you want. A level up, would be a compact camera such as a canon powershot. Next level is a DSLR>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

there are action cameras like gopro and contor that shoot in hd in actual fact there are loads of options for small easy to use video cameras around these days because everyone is putting stuff on youtube for personal and business reasons. most of the modern dslrs shoot hd video.

the handycam type video recorder still exists but instead of tape they use cards snd they have gotten smaller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Take Your Pants Off

So whag would be recommended to buy.
    A video camera or a digital camera.
    Not interested in a go pro because I only need for recording everyday adventures and maybe sight seeing.
    But not mountain climbimg or kayaking and such

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

I really don't know I would say a camera as its dual usage but you have no interest in taking photos. and my interest in this sort of stuff is in action cameras. which carry a bit of a premium the thicker glass makes them not great in low light. there are loads of different types

I think your requirements are this a video camera/ camcorder with:
    • hd
    • good low light performance
    • good microphone, stereo mic would be nice
    • with long battery life
    • some software to make it easy to edit your videos

I suppose some thing like this
    so off you go and look at some online reviews :D

honestly not my area of expertise

Have you considered a smart phone with a good camera its handy as you will always have it near by

Now all i have do is shake the excess water from my hands aaand I'm done

• Advertisement
Advertisement