Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WRONG time on Day/Night tariff electricity meter - overcharge

Options
  • 22-07-2014 8:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,
    I've just got huge electricity bill from Energia.
    When I was trying to find what may case that I discovered so my two tariff meter is 1h behind!!!!!!!!

So every time when we was using water heater, heating, washing machine and dishwasher from 11PM up we still was charged for one hour at DAY RATE!!

Probably this hour cost me most of the kW usage as all appliances was working mostly between 11PM-01AM .

BE AWARE AND CHECK TIME ON YOUR METER IF YOU ON DAY/NIGHT TARIFF !!!

Type in Google - "wrong time on electric meter" - they are millions of meters in UK with this issue

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Like mine it probably doesn't adjust when the hour goes forward or back. Quite easy to work around it. If you have a timer on your water thermostat then adjust it to heat the water later. On washing machines and dishwashers use the start time delay settings if you have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 galwaymobile

Sound, now I will do that until they won't fix the issue.
    ESB should be aware of this kind of problems but seems like they don't care as its extra money for provider.

For last 4 mths I've been badly overcharged and probably this is happening with lots of others people.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,058 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Sound, now I will do that until they won't fix the issue.
    ESB should be aware of this kind of problems but seems like they don't care as its extra money for provider.

For last 4 mths I've been badly overcharged and probably this is happening with lots of others people.

There's nothing to fix - the times are midnight to nine in summer, 11 to 8 in winter.

It is your responsibility to know what contract you sign, nobody elses.

Right, but time on my meter is 8.40 now so will be 11.00 at midnight and still on day tariff as I checked last night.
    Or I'm completely wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You seem to have the wrong end of the stick here. The times for the tariffs change winter NAD summer. They are not fixed. The meter does not need to be adjusted twice a year.

• Advertisement

Just got an update from ESB, they going to check it soon.

Just got an update from ESB, they going to check it soon.

And they'll find its working properly.

You haven't overpaid anything.

Thanks for explanation, I will have to find what is draining my power to that high levels if clock is right.
    I can close this now,
    Thanks everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭delahuntv

yet another wrong comment from mr swanson - no call out charge to check usage / meters.

• Advertisement

Query a meeting issue with your supplier, not ESB networks, and they will ask ESB networks to check it out at no charge to you. Keep in mind that they will check nothing beyond the meter itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,126 ✭✭✭✭KCross

MYOB
    You say the meter is working correctly. If the time on the meter doesnt match with the actual time of the day surely that results in an overcharge at one end of the day and an undercharge at the other end of the day? This will be an issue if you are timing appliances for the start of night rate electricity.

Can you explain why you think it is working correctly eventhough the time on the meter is clearly not the same as the actual time of the day?

galwaymobile
    What resolution did you get from the electricity company?
    Did they come out and fix the time on the meter?

thanks
    Kcross

KCross wrote: »
    MYOB
    You say the meter is working correctly. If the time on the meter doesnt match with the actual time of the day surely that results in an overcharge at one end of the day and an undercharge at the other end of the day? This will be an issue if you are timing appliances for the start of night rate electricity.

Can you explain why you think it is working correctly eventhough the time on the meter is clearly not the same as the actual time of the day?

galwaymobile
    What resolution did you get from the electricity company?
    Did they come out and fix the time on the meter?

thanks
    Kcross

The hours for day and night rate change with daylight saving time. The meter doesn't get adjusted twice a year. Is the time out by anything other than an hour?

It's working correctly as the covered hours change in summer to match. The meter clock will be off an hour all summer as it never changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

If the time is off significantly - by more than 2 hours I think EI told me - they will calculate if there has been an overcharge and will issue a credit if necessary.

I'm currently waiting on this as it was discovered 1 of my tenants meters was off by over 4 hours.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

garhjw wrote: »
    If the time is off significantly - by more than 2 hours I think EI told me - they will calculate if there has been an overcharge and will issue a credit if necessary.

I'm currently waiting on this as it was discovered 1 of my tenants meters was off by over 4 hours.

2 hours is a big jump from one

The hours for day and night rate change with daylight saving time. The meter doesn't get adjusted twice a year. Is the time out by anything other than an hour?

Mine is out by 1hr 5mins so its OK. No issue.

Just to confirm what I did was, I looked at the meter at 5mins passed midnight(since mine is 1hr 5mins out) and I was able to see it switch from day to night rate as my meter has an indicator on it that shows what rate it is currently using.

So, the actual time was midnight but the time on the meter was 11pm and it switched to night rate at that time which is correct, so as some earlier posters said... there is no issue.

The meter is setup to always switch to night rate from 11pm-8am(on its internal clock). When we move our clocks back and forward an hour the the day/night rate times move with it.... so 11pm-8am during summer and midnight-9am in winter and so the meter can just stay the same and it still works correctly.

The extra 5mins that mine is out by is no big deal... just time the appliances/heating etc for a few mins later.

• Advertisement

Opposite way round. ;)

Indeed! :)

Advertisement