Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creating an app for business

Options
  • 22-07-2014 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I am working in retail and I have been looking into having an ipad touchscreen with some information on our products for our customers.
    Any quotes we get are very very expensive.
    The tech companies will create the software, have remote access, lock out all other functions, update it regularly etc etc which all adds up.

How easy/expensive would it be to pay an app developer to create an app with information on all our products to cut out all these additional costs?
    Then I could just set up the ipad, leave it open on the app with guided access applied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

monkey8 wrote: »
    I am working in retail and I have been looking into having an ipad touchscreen with some information on our products for our customers.
    Any quotes we get are very very expensive.
    The tech companies will create the software, have remote access, lock out all other functions, update it regularly etc etc which all adds up.

How easy/expensive would it be to pay an app developer to create an app with information on all our products to cut out all these additional costs?
    Then I could just set up the ipad, leave it open on the app with guided access applied.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

How much do you think a bespoke app for a bespoke problem costs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

What additional costs? After all, you can get a company 'to create an app with information on all your products' then you 'could just set up the ipad, leave it open on the app with guided access applied'. It's up to you to define what you want, regardless of whether you go via a development consultancy or a freelance developer.

If they're pushing to do the updating, then they should have a good case for why - ask them to give one.

Beyond that, all you'll do is perhaps save something on the hourly rate between the two and lose a some degree of support and resources, as you'll have an individual rather than a company working for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭monkey8

How much do you think a bespoke app for a bespoke problem costs?

I'm just wondering if cresting an app with a developer would be more cost effective

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I'm just wondering if cresting an app with a developer would be more cost effective
    Could well be, with the right developer.

Given this, I suspect unless you can pin down what you want (seeing as companies are offering one thing and seemingly you want something else) no approach will be cost effective. Actually, I can probably guarantee that it'll cost you a multiple of what it should and/or give you a result you don't want.

So, I'd focus on that, TBH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Buzz Killington the third

Does your website not work on a tablet?

• Advertisement
Advertisement