Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to traditional decking boards

Options
  • 22-07-2014 9:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭

Hi - Ive followed this forum for a while and enjoy reading the content. Im a DIYer, biggest project ive took on is building my kitchen from scratch, built the carcasses and then made the doors myself shaker style with routed vertical lines, ive built some nice glazed wardrobe doors, radiator covers, routed bath panel... Mostly made from sheets of MDF. I've got basic tools (skill saw, router, jigsaw, lots of clamps :) )

Anyway, im looking to build a deck on a tight budget. Not sure what size yet, but Im looking to know has anyone ever made their own deck boards from cheaper timber.
    Budget is one of the reasons i ask, but also (and no offence, intended) I think the traditional cheap decking we get here has become a bit dated or almost tacky. (I know if you're imaginative you can produce some nice overall designs with curves etc) (I know there are some nice looking composite deck boards, but as i say budget is main driver here)

So I'm looking to know has anyone ever made their own deck boards from cheaper timber, maybe rounding the corners off on lengths of 4x1. Also I know nothing really about weather treatment. Id be only looking to get 4 or 5 years out of this deck.

Thanks

Advertisement