Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can a landlord / rental agent find out if you have rented before?

Options
  • 22-07-2014 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

hi all

Can a landlord or en estate agent find out about your previous registered tenancies?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭generalmental

ginty5 wrote: »
    hi all

Can a landlord or en estate agent find out about your previous registered tenancies?

Thanks

If I am wrong I will be corrected but im sure they wouldn't be able to because of the data protection act

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

ginty5 wrote: »
    hi all

Thanks

Considering that most new landlords require a reference from your previous landlords, then yes, they will have to find out about previous rentals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 ginty5

ok thanks a million

Considering that most new landlords require a reference from your previous landlords, then yes, they will have to find out about previous rentals.

yeah im fully aware of that but my landlord lives abroad and getting anything out of him is a disaster.
    im still waiting on a reference but with no luck, so i was considering not mentioning this letting period and just mentioning that im moving straight from the family home.

Saying that getting a reference from the landlord is hard to putting owners off and understandably so

You don't need a written reference (which can be forged anyway) give his contact details to the new landlord and tell them to give the guy a ring if they want a reference.

• Advertisement

You don't need a written reference (which can be forged anyway) give his contact details to the new landlord and tell them to give the guy a ring if they want a reference.

and if they get no response, will it not out them off?

That would be up to each individual landlord to decide.

ill give it a go, hopefully it works, i dont want to start a tenancy on the wrong foot

Advertisement