Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boards Golf Society Outing - Roscrea Golf Course 23rd August @ 10:00am

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

Really looking forward to this. Have heard it is in great shape. Hopefully we wont be left disappointing.

Game is in ****e so for the first time this year i am going expecting nothing. Haven't been playing to much so will enjoy it all the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Macker1

Lads has anybody played the course.

What it is like - any strategy ?

Playing a matchplay singles earlier tonight and mentioned Roscrea to my opponent. He said its a lovely course with some challenging holes. Tight fairways that are well lined by trees.

Accuracy will be key........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,067 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Macker1 wrote: »
    Playing a matchplay singles earlier tonight and mentioned Roscrea to my opponent. He said its a lovely course with some challenging holes. Tight fairways that are well lined by trees.

I'm ****ed. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Macker1 wrote: »

Driver will be staying out if the bag this Saturday then!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,444 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Driver will be staying out if the bag this Saturday then!!

The distance most of ye guys hit the ball. Ye dont need drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Lads has anybody played the course.

What it is like - any strategy ?

Their website had a particularly nice video run down of each hole. Well worth looking at.
    http://www.roscreagolfclub.ie/course.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,084 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

i've not seen my clubs since Gowran :( don't expect much of my game tomorrow so!

RoadRunner, you coming with me?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

stevieob wrote: »
    i've not seen my clubs since Gowran :( don't expect much of my game tomorrow so!

RoadRunner, you coming with me?

That'd be great, 8am about right?

RoadRunner wrote: »
    That'd be great, 8am about right?

quarter past should be fine I reckon

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 914 ✭✭✭shane 007

RoadRunner wrote: »
    Their website had a particularly nice video run down of each hole. Well worth looking at.
    http://www.roscreagolfclub.ie/course.php

Plenty of dog legs left. Should suit my slice.... :-(

shane 007 wrote: »
    Plenty of dog legs left. Should suit my slice.... :-(

took me a few seconds, but I got there!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

A lot us going to be very rusty tomorrow! I'm not expecting much but really looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭Miley Byrne

Wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make this outing all week cos I was sick, (lost over a half a stone:eek:!) but I just accepted on teamer there. Could be a bit rusty and weak but the fresh air will do me good.

Don't worry, it wasn't ebola virus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭kieran.

Really looking forward this, early start for me :( hopefully the weather behaves. I see there captains day final is on this Sunday so the course should be in top notch condition!

kieran. wrote: »
    Really looking forward this, early start for me :( hopefully the weather behaves. I see there captains day final is on this Sunday so the course should be in top notch condition!

Good man Kieran, you'll have to start putting in a request for a mileage allowance

• Advertisement

http://www.yr.no/place/Ireland/Munster/Roscrea/hour_by_hour.html

Looks good lads.

Practicing on Heritage par 3 this evening - game looks good there , but who knows with me lately.

Will be happy to have over 32 pts. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Enjoy tomorrow lads, rageing I cant be there. Ye are in safe hands though.

Wont get to leave my house until 9:30 am, but I'll be there by 10:20 am. save a spot for me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

Can somebody send the names to me, please? I may not have time to set the scoring up in the morning.

J

Can somebody send the names to me, please? I may not have time to set the scoring up in the morning.

J

You should be able to get the full list of accepted players through the teamer app J

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

J
    Send me a pm with your mail and I'll get it over you now.

Hi guys

Can you add this to your phone for live scoring

https://clubapplive.com/golf/index.html?clubid=309

User Boards
    Password stableford

Click on live scoring, 2014, there is a little lock icon click that and login

Only one player in each group needs to do the scores. To select the players on your group just tap the star beside their name.

I have set it up so you only need to add your stableford points, so if you get 3 points on a hole, tap your name, this will open your score card, click on the hole and add your points

Marked myself down for a 67. Parlance, fdp and macker for 95's

Pulled the balls out of Roscrea.

Poor day - nice enough course. But not a place to be pulling.
    Great weather and a lovely day for it.

Delighted to see Recycled get his win (37pts) and make team. He deserves it and is always nice company on the days out. Some other great scores at 36 pts - Paulo - 3 putt - Rikand.

Some up and down golf from our group Reganovski and Space. Good laugh. Some amazing drives from Regan - solid golf out , from Space. But not our day.

See all in Kilkenny when the real comp will start at night. Talk today of some lads wanting to play the 6900+ yard course - these are lads that were in the 20 points in Roscrea :D
    Captain's call - but could be a fitting finish ?

Could be a bit of a sign off for me and some other golfers. Has been a great laugh the last 2 years. Real life takes over in the end. But plenty more to take over on the way. :)

Thanks to all involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭bobster453

Great day on a great course.Only thing missing was great golf.Not in trouble off tee except for 18th just let the gteens get the better of me..so much so that if we didnt already have someone called threeputt i would take the moniker.
    Great company from kieran and barnaboy.Always great to meet new players and have the craic.
    Thanks to the organisers for another great choice.

Lovely course which was really enjoyable. Played steady enough golf with 34 points. Greens played fast but true, only downside was the poor pin positions due to saving the greens for their Captain's Day tomorrow (understandable).
    Nice mash of target golf Par 3's also.

Great company too with Stevie & Mick.

I'd definitely return to play again.

Just back from picking blackberries with the kids, just what I needed to clear my head after a day where the dreaded shanks hit. Started nicely, only one over for the first 4 holes, hit a lovely drive down fifth, 210 left down wind and was thinking eagle is on here, than wham one OB and the provisional barely stays in. Scratched that and the next 4 of 5, finished well enough on the last three but a lousy total of 26 points won't help move into the top ten.

Enjoyed the company though with BallyK and Tiger.

Funny how golf is so subjective, I really didn't like the course much, it was in great condition but no real strategy to any hole, I cant recall one fairway bunker visible from a tee and water on one hole I think ? Greens were very good though, very true, I wonder if they will cut and roll them for their captains tomorrow? If they do they will be lightening quick. Overall though, Not one I would be rushing back to. We have been spoiled for courses this year.

Can't wait for MJ, one of my favourite courses anywhere. it was me that suggested maybe playing captains off the whites, it's about 6700 yards but really opens the course and gives the best views of each hole. If I remember correctly the original design only ever had three tees. just an idea !!!

J

I agree with j.

Would love to play once from the back sticks. Well - just the normal sticks.

We are boards golfers - not a normal society ;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Another great day out with the society. 2nd place and should be good enough to secure a place on the team for October . Didn't really enjoy the course much, it was in great condition but as golfgraffix was saying we have been spoiled for courses this year. Looking forward to MJ now and the Craic that shall be had after the golf over a few pints. Thanks to lads for organising the outing .

MJ is definitely a course to be played off the whites to really appreciate the course. It's long but nothing overly disastrous to overcome.

So my vote is also for the whites.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Barnaboy

bobster453 wrote: »
    Great day on a great course.Only thing missing was great golf.Not in trouble off tee except for 18th just let the gteens get the better of me..so much so that if we didnt already have someone called threeputt i would take the moniker.
    Great company from kieran and barnaboy.Always great to meet new players and have the craic.
    Thanks to the organisers for another great choice.

Seconded! Enjoyed the round and the company of bobster and kieran. Like others I wasn't overly enamoured with the place, it was in good nick but I expected a bit more character for such an old course. Food was excellent though!

The golf was dodgy, very dodgy. Only 26 points but with no scratches, bizarre. Found it tough to get anything close, only managed one decent iron to the flag all day at the last when I missed a very makeable birdie putt. Couldn't get a chip close or sink a long putt most probably due to the pin positions.

Not surprised 37 points won it, it was tough out there. Looking forward to finishing the year in style at Mount Juliet.

Yes I think we are spolit.

Nice course - but no Portarlington or Carlow or Portumna or Thurles.

We are sort of spoilt

I'm not a fan of this on any golf course.

Large%20Conifers.jpg

But pleasant enough (imo).

Ye definitely should put a links like Arklow in the mix next year.

What were you doing behind the Christmas Tree in the first place FDP ?

One thing it does prove is what a brilliant day it was weather wise. Look at that blue sky! :D

had a great day today with Recycled and Paulos. We definitely pushed each other along all the way.

Recycled is the best 21 handicapper I have seen in my life! The distance he hits the ball and that short game! Well deserved win today, he played fantastic and you couldn't take that smile away from him afterwards when he realised he had won! Nothing beats that feeling!

Paulos incredibly consistent around the greens. Could have had a monster of a score himself if a few putts dropped for him.

And myself. I was 1 under gross for the front 9, but then 3 bad bogeys in a row on 10,11 and 12 really finished my challenge. played the last 6 holes in level par again though, with a 2 on 17.

First time I've actually played to 2 since i got it, but still couldn't get a prize. It's not about the prizes though, it's about trying to play to the best of your ability and most of all having fun. I think the three of us can definitely say we had a lot of fun out there today :D

Here's the list of winners

recycled - 37 points
    3putt - 36 points (b9)
    paulos53 - 36 points

2's
    Rikand
    The Big Easy
    paulos53

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Weird round for me today which i really enjoyed even though my head was not in it a bit jiffed by my poor finish. thanks to the two johns for the company. liked the course even if was,nt the best of the great courses we played this year and the food was super. I am delighted for recycled whose constant smile in clubhouse after said it all. It's looking really tight for the player of year with 3putt making a move with another solid performance. Think the guilt got to reganoski today:D dont be suprised to see him tee it up at mount juliet with todays news of iceland volcano pumping out ash again:). The shorter the better would be my preference for mount juliet, expecting to have my game primed for this one a top 3 finish:cool: or i be drowning my sorrows afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭recycled

Got up and down for a par on the first, I thought looking good- then started shooting the blanks. Thought it was curtains as I'm out for MJ. Got great encouragement from the lads especially from Rikard who was playing off "2". behind me all the way. It was only on the 16th when "Paulos52 asked me did I want to know how I was doing I thought I was in with a chance.
    Paulos53 spent the whole year trying to get to take my medicine when I was in the middle of the trees( Higher then Fixeddepitchmark's tree). Having overlooked the dreadful swing that placed me in the middle of the trees, I would attempt to try and hit out a 6 inch gap with the wedge & another blank. Not yesterday - tap out and suck it up. It was looking like a visit to a psychiatrist rather then a pro.
    A regards the course, the forward pins made it a tough for a number of players, but I thought Portumna and Roscrea were very similar and enjoyable.
    The best food so far - thanks to everyone

recycled wrote: »
    Got up and down for a par on the first, I thought looking good- then started shooting the blanks. Thought it was curtains as I'm out for MJ. Got great encouragement from the lads especially from Rikard who was playing off "2". behind me all the way. It was only on the 16th when "Paulos52 asked me did I want to know how I was doing I thought I was in with a chance.
    Paulos53 spent the whole year trying to get to take my medicine when I was in the middle of the trees( Higher then Fixeddepitchmark's tree). Having overlooked the dreadful swing that placed me in the middle of the trees, I would attempt to try and hit out a 6 inch gap with the wedge & another blank. Not yesterday - tap out and suck it up. It was looking like a visit to a psychiatrist rather then a pro.
    A regards the course, the forward pins made it a tough for a number of players, but I thought Portumna and Roscrea were very similar and enjoyable.
    The best food so far - thanks to everyone

Congrats on the win. Excellent scoring on a course that was tough to score well on due to the pin positions. Taking the medicine at the appropriate time is an overlooked skill in its own rights and many people fail to realise that to their detriment. Not surprised to hear that the lads were supportive as it seems to be a very positive trait that the Boards Society displays. Although its a individualistic sport you do have teammates to spur you on when required.

Congrats to the winners yesterday. Felt it was never going to be a massive score to win it as it was a tight enough course.

Have the pleasure if fix & reganovski for company on the day. Two sound lads.

We didn't set the world alight with our scoring but was still an enjoyable day. I can understand people not loving the course. I thought it was a nice mature parkland but it probably did lack one or two signature holes.

Had to do plenty of catching up on the lads as both were driving the ball long.

I think I heard a few of Ivans golf balls crying for mercy as they came off the face of the driver!

If fix can straighten out those pulls he'll put together a serious score, as was evident with a great birdie on 15 (i think)

If I'd committed to some putts I could have put together a solid score. Despite a scratch on the first I put together a strong front 9. Fell apart from the index 1 on the back. Was the first hole I'd put myself in trouble off the tee. Never got it back really after that.

Looking forward to captains now.

It's been a pleasure to get involved & meet the gang

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Absolutely delighted that recycled got his long overdue win, always one of the first names down to play and unfortunately always has one of the longest drives to events. Sorry I wasnt there to see it.

Am disappointed with the reviews of the course, from what I was told it was supposed to be a majestic mature parkland course and one that wasnt a huge spin for everyone.

Hopefully Mount Juliet will make up for it and we can finish up in style!

• Advertisement

A very mature parkland it was.... similar to portumna but tighter and shorter, every hole tree lined.

Its interesting. The people who played well, loved the course.... and the people who were snap hooking their drives, hated it....

Odd that!

:D

Harsh Rikand.

Yes the way people play shapes some views as perhaps obscured.

But there have been a few people there that have been around.
    I've played well over 30 courses this year.

That is a nice course. But no way is it a Portumna . Portarlington. Carlow a Naas for example.

Yes there are lovely courses and hundreds at the Roscrea level . But there is a division above it.

It was a nice course that provided a challenge for driving with the tree lined fairways and some interesting pin locations. I did find it surprising that there was no pro shop at the course.

Really looking forward to the next outing to Mount Juliet were no doubt we will all have a great time.

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭tigerwood1

Having played portarlington only two weeks ago in a scratch cup i would'nt say there is much between the two. i thought yesterday was great with the weather and course clubhouse and food top class sure it was'nt the best course we played this year but that just highlights what a great list of courses we played so far with mount juliet to come thank's Charlie it will be hard to match next year. would gladly play roscrea again if i got the chance.

Tigerwood, I think you are crazy if you really believe Roscrea even comes close to Portarlington!

I thought it was grand, nothing stand out about it. 1st hole is nothing short of dangerous. Playing it, I just felt that they were just trying to squeeze a hole into an area that just wasn't suited to be a hole. I was trying to figure out where that green was for to the left, and thought it was 18. Indeed it was only when playing the 15th I copped that I had walked off the first tee and straight across another fairway without even looking! They would be much better having the 1st tee up around where the 15th Green is and tucking the 15th into a little dogleg around the first tee area.

Anyway, it wasn't all bad, I loved the rolling hills all along the second hole, something you would more expect to see on a nice linx. The course whilst it didn't light my fire,was indeen in great condition and the greens were excellent, all be it with bordering unfair pin positions a couple of feet from the edge in a lot of cases.

Hadn't played in a month and wasn't expecting much. I therefore played to expectations! Few good shots, few poor shots, nothing awful really, just never got firing. Some bad luck along the way, and when I hit my best drive of the day on 6 down the middle and couldn't find it, that kinda bugged me for a bit!

It was a game of golf which I love playing and I am quite happy to play on the best and worst courses, once I am hitting the little white ball and as always with the boards crew, I thoroughly enjoyed the day out, the bit of craic and banter. Thanks to Shane and Mick for the company and well done to Shane on his 42 points :D

Advertisement