Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tale of 2 Car Parks

Options
  • 22-07-2014 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭

What's the story I wonder with blocking off the access between Dunnes Stores and Tesco Car Parks? A barrier seems to have gone up overnight. The usual mayhem ensued as cars drive in, see it's blocked then attempt to get turned and out again. Just wonder since it was originally blocked then opened and now blocked again, did Dunnes just get fed up with the line coming from Tesco to get out onto Adelaide Street?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I was just going to post about this. It seems like it's permanent, totally daft idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

Pointless exercise, I come in off the mail road through dunnes carpark round wine street and into the €4 carpark at the side of johnsons court.

This barrier is just going to add 5 plus minutes onto my morning commute! :mad:

IPF

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Is it to close of the town centre for the fleadh

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

If it is pernament what's the logic behind it? it's only going to make traffic worse at peak times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

It seems like a crazy idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

dingding wrote: »

That *could* be it. I know some of Wine Street will be closed, it might well include the car park, possibly they'll be using that car park as a set-down point for buses.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭kc90

dingding wrote: »

I heard this was the reason too. If not, it's a real pain. I imagine it was opened in the first place to push traffic straight back onto the bypass. It seems silly to go back on it now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

IP freely wrote: »
    Pointless exercise, I come in off the mail road through dunnes carpark round wine street and into the €4 carpark at the side of johnsons court.

This barrier is just going to add 5 plus minutes onto my morning commute! :mad:

IPF

wait till you see what the fleadh adds

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Gomer Pyle

Possible Dunne's ensuring that it remains a private car park and no public right of way is created.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Gomer Pyle wrote: »
    Possible Dunne's ensuring that it remains a private car park and no public right of way is created.
    Repercussions from Lissadell????????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

A shopkeeper was telling me it is permanent. I'll be avoiding town even more now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 sunnysinead

Gomer Pyle wrote: »

I suspect you are correct, plus Dunnes gain an extra 4 or 5 spaces. Dunnes is a privately owned company, why should they give public cars a right of way through their property if they do not have to?

Dunnes has opened that right of way for a limited number of years since the Ted Nealon road was made. That's the new road which was forcibly built through privately owned CPO'd property, to service the Dunnes car park. If the powers to be want public access from the west through to the Wine st car park, maybe they will finish the job and Compulsory Purchase a public road through Dunnes? Last time they got away with only paying half to the land owners per sq m, compared to what land sold at public auction next door at the time.

The town needs more car parking, and cheaper car parking too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

I rekon is Dunnes closing it. Typical grab all irish mentality from businesses. Why should they make things easier for people in town. After all, they only want us to spend our money with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

I rekon is Dunnes closing it. Typical grab all irish mentality from businesses. Why should they make things easier for people in town. After all, they only want us to spend our money with them.

Maybe there are further reasons behind it.

Maybe there has been an accident or someone is suing them as its private ground strictly speaking.

I do know one fact, and that is that it is now a real pain the the hole to get into the carpark I use for work.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭66dunaras

Was there at lunchtime today . All motorists were totally caught off guard and the line of traffic was huge as we waited for cars in front of us to do Uturns. As far as I am aware Wine St is open for the Fleadh. Maybe Dunnes were trying to ensure its customers had somewhere to park during the Fleadh?

Its always full and I heard it was chaotic today all right, with a queue of cars going in and no spaces. If coming from the inner relief road direction, the best place to park is in the public car park further up Adelaide street. Better than sitting in a traffic jam trying to get in to the Dunnes or wine st car park.

What the Borough council should do is make the car parks bigger and cheaper. Attract more people in to town. Win win for everyone. Other similar size towns have more car spaces, and cheaper car spaces. There are plenty of brown field sites adjoining some existing car parks. Think of the money they could make from extra spaces.

Also, they should make the spaces they have about 6 inches wider. Paint the lines further apart. Make it that little bit easier for people to open their car doors / get in and out. Make going in to town a pleasure. In selected car parks, perhaps charge say 60 cents an hour instead of 1.20 an hour, so people can stay longer, browse the shops, enjoy a coffee etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Its always full and I heard it was chaotic today all right, with a queue of cars going in and no spaces. If coming from the inner relief road direction, the best place to park is in the public car park further up Adelaide street. Better than sitting in a traffic jam trying to get in to the Dunnes or wine st car park.

What the Borough council should do is make the car parks bigger and cheaper. Attract more people in to town. Win win for everyone. Other similar size towns have more car spaces, and cheaper car spaces. There are plenty of brown field sites adjoining some existing car parks. Think of the money they could make from extra spaces.

Also, they should make the spaces they have about 6 inches wider. Paint the lines further apart. Make it that little bit easier for people to open their car doors / get in and out. Make going in to town a pleasure. In selected car parks, perhaps charge say 60 cents an hour instead of 1.20 an hour, so people can stay longer, browse the shops, enjoy a coffee etc.
    i don't think that they can do magic tricks..

shanec1928 wrote: »
    i don't think that they can do magic tricks..

It does not need magic tricks. Just a bit of planning and common sense. There are plenty of derelict properties, waste ground, overgrown areas etc beside existing car parks. Some of these could and should be made in to car parks / make car parks bigger. I know an owner of a derelict site, big enough for dozens of cars and next to a public car park, who offered his property FREE to the Borough council for a year, for the Borough Council to tarmac it and collect €1.20 (or whatever) per hour per car space for the year. The property owner was refused permission to open his own car park there, even though its adjoining a public car park. It was and is making nothing for the property owner anyway. The borough Council still did not take it, even though they could have made money on it for the year. It remains derelict and an eyesore. Everyone loses. Correction-everyone in Sligo loses.

Something needs to be done to entice people to the town, to shop, to browse, to have a coffee, whatever. Without looking at your watch. And thinking of 1.20 an hour. Why have so many shops and businesses in town closed or closing? And businesses like McDonalds and Burgerking moving out? There needs to be more car parking spaces, and preferably cheaper car parking spaces, easily and visibly accessible. Make Sligo easier to visit, and cheaper to visit. The spin off will come from extra shops /cafes/employment.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

It does not need magic tricks. Just a bit of planning and common sense. There are plenty of derelict properties, waste ground, overgrown areas etc beside existing car parks. Some of these could and should be made in to car parks / make car parks bigger. I know an owner of a derelict site, big enough for dozens of cars and next to a public car park, who offered his property FREE to the Borough council for a year, for the Borough Council to tarmac it and collect €1.20 (or whatever) per hour per car space for the year. The property owner was refused permission to open his own car park there, even though its adjoining a public car park. It was and is making nothing for the property owner anyway. The borough Council still did not take it, even though they could have made money on it for the year. It remains derelict and an eyesore. Everyone loses. Correction-everyone in Sligo loses.

Something needs to be done to entice people to the town, to shop, to browse, to have a coffee, whatever. Without looking at your watch. And thinking of 1.20 an hour. Why have so many shops and businesses in town closed or closing? And businesses like McDonalds and Burgerking moving out? There needs to be more car parking spaces, and preferably cheaper car parking spaces, easily and visibly accessible. Make Sligo easier to visit, and cheaper to visit. The spin off will come from extra shops /cafes/employment.

Well 1.20/hour for a max of two hours in most of the car parks is a joke. Paying to park on a Sunday is a bigger joke.

Anytime I park in town usally I use the Quayside or the Glasshouse, unless its first thing on a Sunday morning, or parking in the evening.

As for widening spaces, not sure that would work, as 1, there would be less spaces, and 2, people still wouldn't be able to park in them. I had reason to use a disabled space recently when driving a elderly relative, I had to drive out of my wider space to allow them back into the car, as the car parked, sorry abandoned beside me after I arrived parked at such an angle, one corner of their car was in my space, and another corner if their car in the space on the other side of them.

I can see the point of the barrier though, people using Dunnes car park as a short cut to tescos car park, I have used it my self. If the barrier is going up though, next I can see happening is a gate going up which will be closed at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

It's ironic that they didn't build car parks during the Good Times, the one thing that was needed, and the one thing that would still be making money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    Well 1.20/hour for a max of two hours in most of the car parks is a joke. Paying to park on a Sunday is a bigger joke.

Anytime I park in town usally I use the Quayside or the Glasshouse, unless its first thing on a Sunday morning, or parking in the evening.

As for widening spaces, not sure that would work, as 1, there would be less spaces, and 2, people still wouldn't be able to park in them. I had reason to use a disabled space recently when driving a elderly relative, I had to drive out of my wider space to allow them back into the car, as the car parked, sorry abandoned beside me after I arrived parked at such an angle, one corner of their car was in my space, and another corner if their car in the space on the other side of them.

I can see the point of the barrier though, people using Dunnes car park as a short cut to tescos car park, I have used it my self. If the barrier is going up though, next I can see happening is a gate going up which will be closed at night.

That car park actually used to be closed at night, just like the small one on wine St.

It'll be some gas when it gets busy and they send Stobart into Tesco with a delivery during the day. Its hard enough to get around that car park in a car when its busy, nevermind sticking a truck and trailer into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Slightly off topic (but couldn't find a sligo fleadh thread which is kind of weird, anyway....) does anybody know if there is a map (as opposed to a written description) available online of the roads that will be closed during the fleadh??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

EmptyTree wrote: »
    Slightly off topic (but couldn't find a sligo fleadh thread which is kind of weird, anyway....) does anybody know if there is a map (as opposed to a written description) available online of the roads that will be closed during the fleadh??

There's a map on their Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/fleadhcheoil.ie/photos/a.409024702481972.111160.337936826257427/779815868736185/?type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

magnumlady wrote: »
    There's a map on their Facebook page

Thanks for that, also came across this pdf on the Sligo CC website after looking at your link.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

I was there before the barriers were put in that day and there was much cars that pediatricians werent able to go across to small dunnes. Its pretty stupid but kinda really safety comes first!

Advertisement