Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I cannot get a bank account

Options
  • 22-07-2014 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

I have had problems in the past, when I was unemployed, running up debt on a credit card and overdraft.

At the moment, AIB have closed my account, and I am currently paying back the debt owed, through a standing order through a friends account.

I am currently in a respectable job now, but unfortunately AIB won't reinstate me an account, and no other bank will give me an account. It's awful that my wages has to go into someone else's account for me to be paid, and any bills I have to pay has to be done with cash though the PO.

What can I do?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

AIB might not be willing to reinstate your account but there's nothing stopping you taking your photo id and proof of address into any other bank and opening an account. Unless you were legally declared bankrupt?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

My mortgage is with Ulster Bank. They refused me a current account, due to outstanding debt with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

after i got into trouble I was refused an account with Ulster but I was accepted with ptsb . I have no credit facility, just a current account, if a dd needs 1c more than what's in my account to proceed, it's gets refused and I pay a fine.

I didn't mention it when applying but I'm sure if they pulled my icb report it has a skull and cross bones it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    after i got into trouble I was refused an account with Ulster but I was accepted with ptsb . I have no credit facility, just a current account, if a dd needs 1c more than what's in my account to proceed, it's gets refused and I pay a fine.

I didn't mention it when applying but I'm sure if they pulled my icb report it has a skull and cross bones it!

Thanks for that. I'll drop in to PTSB and see if they can facilitate me.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Was in a similar position as OP in 2009, but with bank of Ireland. I went into Ulster bank who agreed to give me a basic current account.

So basic in fact that it only had an ATM card as opposed to a debit card! I was not applying for any credit what so ever so I assume that's why they gave it to me.

You need banking facilities in this day and age and a man deserves a 2nd chance as the banks got in spades!!

Best of luck OP and let us know how it goes!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

Lord Nikon wrote: »
    My mortgage is with Ulster Bank. They refused me a current account, due to outstanding debt with AIB.

Try to put a bit of pressure on UB to give you a basic current account.

If your mortgage is being paid through a friend's bank account, tell UB you will have to cancel the DD and pay by cash through a branch if they cannot give you a current account.

Advertisement