Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured Trush

• 22-07-2014 1:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭

Hi, a thrush hit the window in my gfs home. Looks like a damaged wing but otherwise seems to be alert.
    Vet she called said only cure is time so Im going to take him to my place where it's safer with less cats. Any suggestions or info I need to know? Going to pick up meal worms later after work.i already have cages suitable to house him in.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

If the wing looks damaged, I'd take the bird to a vet since if it's broken it will need attention.

I assume the vet you phoned thinks the bird is just stunned and there's nothing wrong with the wing. If the bird is just stunned, then peace and quiet- try to keep checking on the bird to a minimum and keep it in a very quiet room in your house. They get stressed really easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

Thanks for the info. Gf told vet (vet nurse as vet was on lunch) the wing appeared to be broken. She said that there is little they can do to help except keep it safe and fed. It seems fine right now apart from thw wing. He looks to be a juvenile or maybe female as his colour is dull speckled at the front.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,983 ✭✭✭Raminahobbin

That doesn't sound right to me. Sounds like the vet didn't want the hassle of dealing with a wild animal, which some of them don't. It doesn't make sense to leave a bird with a broken wing stressed, in pain and probably healing wrong without a splint.

Have a look at the link Toulouse posted above, they're really helpful and were set up specifically for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

See if you can find a rehabilitator on the site I posted.

Realistically, if the wing is damaged then what are you going to do in a few days with a wild bird that can't fly? I'd be leaving this one to the experts if I were you.

• Advertisement

Will do. Gf is going to contact other local vets for advice and to see if one of them will see it. If it is a case that it cant fly again but survives I guess I will just have to look after it or find someone with experience who can.

Ok another vet gave the same advice. Said a splint would not be suitable in this case. Will contact someone from that site as i actually know some of the contacts on it already through cat and dog rescue.

Advertisement