Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly reportedly arrested at Shannon airport.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

There's definitely a lot to be said for shaking up the old-boys club in Leinster House and it's one thing that Clare Daly's been really excellent at.

I wouldn't agree with her on absolutely everything, but I think she's a passionate campaigner and a breath of fresh air in the Dail.

I'd actually give her a vote just because she's been so good at holding 'the old fogies' to account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So many shallow responses in here.
    Just sums up the spineless nature of the nation.
    Everyone losing their sh¡t cos they've climbed a fence. They do really care or is it just an excuse to shout "Crusty!" and have a go at protestors?

Any politician with some semblance of conscience and the will to do something about it is good in my book, even if it means rattling a few cages.

It's the attitude of people like that which allowed the abuse of children to continue for so long in this country.

Instead of questioning anything they instead attack those that dare to. Heavens forbid anyone actually questions 'authority'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm not a judge. I asked if Gardai inspect planes to make sure that laws are not being broken.

Conditions apply to the use of Shannon airport. Who is ensuring that those conditions are met?

No physical inspections are carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Historically, we've been very passionate about certain issues and not about others though. Like for example, we were very strong on Northern Irish issues (for obvious reasons), on anti-aparthide and on a few others.

There's a large cohort of status quo conservatives though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Anyone wrote: »
    How is Mick Wallace a public representative? He is an embarrassment

Blame the people that voted for him and that goes for all politicians. Did you vote by the way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Mick Wallace was NOT convicted of tax fraud. He made a settlement with the revenue commissioners. Why not check your facts instead of perpetuating this rubbish. I presume from the rest of your post it's an FF Dictatorship you would favour - we've had that.

The fact that no charges were brought just makes the whole matter worse...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Too bad the Americans didn't arrest them. They would do us a a favour and lock them Gitmo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

Jester252 wrote: »
    Too bad the Americans didn't arrest them. They would do us a a favour and lock them Gitmo

They are too busy backing genocide in Gaza

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

Not at all.

And I'd love someone to show the codex of Intl law that says it does

Whether US, Russian, Chinese, South Sudanese troops transit through Shannon, it doesn't change neutrality status one bit.

And your welcome to prve that wrong factually & legally, no conjecture.

That argument would hold up if routine inspections were carried out on all inbound cargo. It's been verified numerous times that this is not the case, so how are we to be certain that we do not contravene international laws?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Mick and Clare in Shannon saving Ireland from tghe big bad yanks. More Wallace and Gromit than the caped crusaders.

• Advertisement

Warper wrote: »

Typical crusty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

bajer101 wrote: »
    "the policy or status of a nation that does not participate in a war between other nations: the continuous neutrality of Switzerland."

By allowing one side in a conflict to use your airfields, you are participating. You won't see Switzerland allowing its airports be used for military stopovers.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/neutrality

Aah...a dictionary.

The thing is... and its the real politick of the issue.
    A country is neutral if it says its neutral.
    That's the ballgame.

Neither you nor I can change that.
    Ireland remains neutral until a government says otherwise.

We were neutral during WW2 (but we weren't)...

So no matter what comes through Shannon.... There is no agency on earth that decides Ireland's neutrality status except the Irish government...

Its not perfect.... But then what is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hopefully they will bang them 2 eejits up for a while.

Typical crusty

A scathing retort. I'll have to be careful around a seasoned observer such as yourself Sir.

So no matter what comes through Shannon.... There is no agency on earth that decides Ireland's neutrality status except the Irish government...
    Mr Kenny again stated Fine Gael’s position on Irish neutrality. “The truth is, Ireland is not neutral. We are merely unaligned,” he said.

http://www.forumoneurope.ie/indexed23.html?locID=113&docID=1093&COMMAND=PRINTER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Nodin wrote: »
    A scathing retort. I'll have to be careful around a seasoned observer such as yourself Sir.

We agree on something at last - is this a record? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

I bet Mick was humming the mission impossible theme tune the whole time

We agree on something at last - is this a record? :D

I'd imagine so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Warper wrote: »

Now that's a long story, including but not necessarily limited to British conniving over Partition in 1949, the Yom kippur situation in 1973, Jimmy Carter being made a prick of by Menachem Begin at Camp David in 1979, etc. etc. They'd prefer not to be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Fair play to them. Whether or not you agree with their politics or actions, how many other Irish politicians would be willing to take such a stand for what they believe in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

should concentrate less on hopping fences and more on paying his taxes.

that said, at least he has some kind of convictions and is prepared to act on them in some kind of way. the vast majority of those in the dail never had a conviction or belief that wasnt based on them crawling up the ladder to get their hands on another wad of sweaty money.

Fair play to them. Whether or not you agree with their politics or actions, how many other Irish politicians would be willing to take such a stand for what they believe in?

...indeed one might ask how many of them believe in anything at all, save greed, expedience and self advancement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm sure Mick's plan of sneaking on to the runway was blown by his luminous pink polo which can be seen from space.

...indeed one might ask how many of them believe in anything at all, save greed, expedience and self advancement?

Dont forget the publicly paid for PR machines

I work with what was given to me and that was a typical crusty responce regarding Israel

• Advertisement

eeepaulo wrote: »

And the advisors that were shoved in, breaking the pay cap, many of whose backgrounds are very interesting. Doesn't involve climbing fences...ladders of a sort, hanging on family trees the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

You're right.

It's outrageous that the public will foot the bill for Garda and court resources in Daly & Wallace's latest publicity stunt.

conorh91 wrote: »
    You're right.

It's outrageous that the public will foot the bill for Garda and court resources in this publicity stunt.

Who foots the bill for the Irish army guarding the planes?

I work with what was given to me and that was a typical crusty responce regarding Israel

O absolutely Sirrah. These unwashed types have to be called out for what they are. Once a year we ride through the estate after a few gins and administer a few whippings to remind them of the social order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It was a fairly moderate response. Very few people, aside from a tiny minority of very extreme right-wingers (the kind of people for whom no opinion is ever obnoxious enough), believe that Israel's actions in Gaza amount to anything other than mass murder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

People voted for him. At least he makes an effort in the causes he believes in. How many of the stuffed suits in the Dail have ever made a stand about anything?

Mick is the biggest clown ever elected ever anywhere in the world and absolute tool of the highest order. And as for the clowns that voted for him well they should be sectioned under the mental health act or sent back to school to get an education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 762 ✭✭✭PeteFalk78

I'm embarrassed that the people of Ireland elected in these two idiots.

geeksauce wrote: »
    Mick is the biggest clown ever elected ever anywhere in the world and absolute tool of the highest order. And as for the clowns that voted for him well they should be sectioned under the mental health act or sent back to school to get an education.

We've elected worse people than Mick Wallace. Hell, the country has been run by worse people than Mick Wallace.

RayM wrote: »
    We've elected worse people than Mick Wallace. Hell, the country has been run by worse people than Mick Wallace.

No nobody is worse than Mick. Wearing a soccer jersey to work in the Dail what a fcuking moron.

George W Bush

George W Bush

Mick is worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭JillyQ

George W Bush

Mick rates along side george if not ahead of him

No nobody is worse than Mick. Wearing a soccer jersey to work in the Dail what a fcuking moron.

Yeah, he should wear a mohair suit like Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor, Charlie Haughey, P Flynn, Michael Lowry and on, and on............what stone have you been living under. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

Who foots the bill for the Irish army guarding the planes?
    No idea. Shannon Airport Authority plc maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

When I worked in Shannon - before the first Iraq war - a high percentage of the military flights through the airport were Russian or Cuban flights. No one objected.

Mick and Clare are a bit childish really methinks .... these idiots are in our government ? hmmmmmm.

Also -
    35 countries land military aircraft at Shannon

Kathy Masterson | July 11, 2014
    Shannon-1-jul-13-US-soldiers21-300x200.jpgMILITARY aircraft from 35 nations landed in Shannon Airport over the last 12 months, according to former Tánaiste Eamon Gilmore.
    In response to a parliamentary question from Independent TD Clare Daly, Deputy Gilmore revealed that the countries of origin of the military aircraft include the US, Australia, Egypt, Libya, Yemen and Germany.

He added that in order to be granted permission to land, the aircraft must be “unarmed, carry no arms, ammunition or explosives”, they should also not engage in intelligence gathering, or “form any part of military exercises or operations”.
    John Lannon of Shannonwatch says that more than 90 per cent of all the military aircraft landing at Shannon comes from the US, and that almost 2.5 million US soldiers have passed through the airport in the last 12 years.
    “Shannon played a direct role in the 2003 invasion of Iraq and as a result it has contributed to the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people. The daily flow of US troops and US weapons through the airport has been ongoing since then, and it presents a serious security risk to workers and passengers using the airport.
    “It is also misleading for the Minister to say that the US military are not taking weapons through Shannon because he knows they are going through on planes operated by Omni Air International and other carriers. He cannot say what or who is on board military aircraft at Shannon because the authorities do not inspect them”, he said.

• Advertisement

Given the quality of the last few Fianna Fail Taoisigh, all of whom wore suits, that's quite the vacuous argument you've got there. Not to mention all the simpering yes-men who inhabit the government back-benches and do whatever they're told, in the hope of their loyalty being rewarded - again, all wearing suits.

Yeah, he should wear a mohair suit like Ray Burke, Liam Lawlor, Charlie Haughey, P Flynn, Michael Lowry and on, and on............what stone have you been living under. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing you voted for him then. Well done, well done!!!! Sectioned or re educated?

RayM wrote: »
    Given the quality of the last few Fianna Fail Taoisigh, all of whom wore suits, that's quite the vacuous argument you've got there. Not to mention all the simpering yes-men who inhabit the government back-benches and do whatever they're told, in the hope of their loyalty being rewarded - again, all wearing suits.

It goes way behind his dress sense unfortunately that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that gangster.

I'm guessing you voted for him then. Well done, well done!!!! Sectioned or re educated?

I did and will again if he stands again. The choice was between him and that plank Paul Kehoe FG Chief Whip; Brendan Howlin (useless and in the Dail since the Flood), John "Disappointment Money" Browne FF need I say more?

Nuff said

When the dail is back in session my money is on Mick and Claire absailing in,

Obviously mick will still be humming the mission impossible theme tune.

It's spelled 'reeducated'... one word, not two.

Maybe you need to look at it as an option for yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

No hiding here pal. I live close to the airport and have a friend that works closely with the us military when they use the airport. Fully support them and the business they bring to the airport. Wallace and daly....... Couldn't care less about them. When the airport was in the doldrums when the daa was in control none of these politicians thought it worthwhile to help in any way. To hell with them

Do you support the rendition flights as well? Where they eventually torture innocent people, holding them against their will?

I did and will again if he stands again. The choice was between him and that plank Paul Kehoe FG Chief Whip; Brendan Howlin (useless and in the Dail since the Flood), John "Disappointment Money" Browne FF need I say more?

Wow seriously you voted for him, hahaha and you admitted it too, and would even do it again hahaha. Funniest post ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

When I worked in Shannon - before the first Iraq war - a high percentage of the military flights through the airport were Russian or Cuban flights. No one objected.

Were those flights stopping over on their way to or from a war?

Advertisement