Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly reportedly arrested at Shannon airport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

geeksauce wrote: »
    Wow seriously you voted for him, hahaha and you admitted it too, and would even do it again hahaha. Funniest post ever.

Who did you vote for, or are you old enough to do so yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

Wow seriously you voted for him, hahaha and you admitted it too, and would even do it again hahaha. Funniest post ever.

In fairness, I thought your's were a lot funnier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

Who did you vote for, or are you old enough to do so yet?

Can't remember who I voted for tbh it was that long ago. One thing I do remember is being astounded that anyone was dumb enough to vote for Mick Wallace though.

Even more astounded that someone would actually admit to being so dumb, and then to say they would happily be that dumb again. Brilliant!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

It goes way behind his dress sense unfortunately that is just the tip of the iceberg when it comes to that gangster.

He's standing up for what he believes in - and it's unlikely to advance his career or win him any extra votes. Back in 2003, Enda Kenny and the yes-men and women who sit behind him, shared Wallace's view on the use of Shannon Airport. You might dislike Mick Wallace personally. You might dislike his hair and his pink shirts. You might not share his views on Ireland's complicity in US war crimes, but at least his views are the same now as they were eleven years ago.

Whatever you think about his dress sense or his tax-affairs, he's completely right about Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

bajer101 wrote: »
    Were those flights stopping over on their way to or from a war?

Good point I suppose - but Russia was AT WAR in Afghanistan at the time ...

Was a lot of Russian stuff in those days .. who knows who or what was on the government planes ....

From Wiki .

Due to strained relations between the USSR and US during the 1980s, in 1984 Aeroflot coordinated with Irish carrier Aer Lingus to use Shannon airport as a hub for connecting flights from Moscow and Leningrad to link with the Irish carrier's New York routes. Aeroflot was also granted rights to use Shannon for flights to Cuba and South America (Peru). From 1992 Irish tour operators contracted Aeroflot to carry tourists to the eastern US (Miami) and later the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico using Il-62Ms. For its western US links, Aeroflot Il-62s flew east from Moscow and routed via Alaska (Anchorage). On any given day, Shannon hosted up to eight Il-62s and Il-86s (in addition to Tu-154s and Tu-134s). By 1995/1996, Shannon was handling 2,400 Aeroflot transit flights carrying 250,000 passengers per annum (including government Il-62Ms) with Aeroflot crews being housed near the airport. By 1995, direct flights between Moscow and the US became possible and the use of Shannon as a hub declined.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

No nobody is worse than Mick. Wearing a soccer jersey to work in the Dail what a fcuking moron.

WORSE THAN HITLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitler never would have worn a soccer jersey in the Bundestag.

RayM wrote: »
    He's standing up for what he believes in - and it's unlikely to advance his career or win him any extra votes. Back in 2003, Enda Kenny, and the yes-men and women who sit behind him, shared Wallace's view on the use of Shannon Airport. You might dislike Mick Wallace personally. You might dislike his hair and his pink shirts. You might not share his views on Ireland's complicity in US war crimes, but at least his views are the same now as they were eleven years ago.

Whatever you think about his dress sense or his tax-affairs, he's completely right about Shannon.

Same as 11 years ago, would that be when he was avoiding paying taxes, ripping people off, leaving small business people and self employed people high and dry and out of pocket, or was that more recent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

inspecting planes me arse

sneaking in to have a danger shag methinks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 326 ✭✭tony007

Gomer Pyle wrote: »
    Hand them both over to the US for attacking US Military.

What, specifically, did they attack?

Nodin wrote: »
    WORSE THAN HITLER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitler never would have worn a soccer jersey in the Bundestag.

No way he would not even when he was losing his mind.

But hey if you listen to some posters here at least Hitler knew what he stood for so is definitely better than the likes of Enda, Bertie and the rest. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Can't remember who I voted for tbh it was that long ago. One thing I do remember is being astounded that anyone was dumb enough to vote for Mick Wallace though.

Even more astounded that someone would actually admit to being so dumb, and then to say they would happily be that dumb again. Brilliant!!

You can't remember who you voted for and you're calling other people stupid.. how quaint!

Good point I suppose - but Russian was AT WAR in Afghanistan at the time ...

Was a lot of Russian stuff in those days .. who knows who or what was on the government planes ....

From Wiki .

Due to strained relations between the USSR and US during the 1980s, in 1984 Aeroflot coordinated with Irish carrier Aer Lingus to use Shannon airport as a hub for connecting flights from Moscow and Leningrad to link with the Irish carrier's New York routes. Aeroflot was also granted rights to use Shannon for flights to Cuba and South America (Peru). From 1992 Irish tour operators contracted Aeroflot to carry tourists to the eastern US (Miami) and later the Caribbean, Central America and Mexico using Il-62Ms. For its western US links, Aeroflot Il-62s flew east from Moscow and routed via Alaska (Anchorage). On any given day, Shannon hosted up to eight Il-62s and Il-86s (in addition to Tu-154s and Tu-134s). By 1995/1996, Shannon was handling 2,400 Aeroflot transit flights carrying 250,000 passengers per annum (including government Il-62Ms) with Aeroflot crews being housed near the airport. By 1995, direct flights between Moscow and the US became possible and the use of Shannon as a hub declined.

Those are civilian flights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Says the guy who can't even remember who he voted for.

Same as 11 years ago, would that be when he was avoiding paying taxes, ripping people off, leaving small business people and self employed people high and dry and out of pocket, or was that more recent?

As I said, whatever you think about him personally, he's right about Shannon Airport. Which is what this thread is about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

tony007 wrote: »
    What, specifically, did they attack?

Legend has it that Clare attacked a Marine Corps Staff-Sergeant's fist in an attempt to straighten her nose. That fist was Government property, and she is in violations. :cool:

Those are civilian flights.

The cuban ones were always full of soldiers ....

You can't remember who you voted for and you're calling other people stupid.. how quaint!

No I called them dumb I thought stupid would be a bit harsh, and tbh even if I did remember who I voted for I certainly wouldn't be telling anyone as a vote is a private matter. Sharing it on a public forum is to me as dumb as voting for the great unwashed gangster Wallace.

Good point I suppose - but Russia was AT WAR in Afghanistan at the time ...

From Wiki .

That's Aeroflot, which is the civilian passenger airline. If Russian military aircraft were using Shannon as a stopover to ferry troops and arms to a conflict in Afghanistan, that too would have been wrong and in breach of our neutrality (but they weren't).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Have the US not got bases in the UK and Germany?why do they even need to land in Shannon?

As I said, whatever you think about him personally, he's right about Shannon Airport. Which is what this thread is about.

Climbing a fence and breaching security is a great way to go about it, even if the use of Shannon by military planes going to war zones is wrong, breaching airport security is most definitely wrong.

• Advertisement

That's Aeroflot, which is the civilian passenger airline. If Russian military aircraft were using Shannon as a stopover to ferry troops and arms to a conflict in Afghanistan, that too would have been wrong and in breach of our neutrality (but they weren't).

US flights were "Civilian" too ....

Shannonwatch ...

Most of the US troops passing through Shannon Airport are on board flights that are classified as "civilian" flights. These are governed by the 1944 Convention on International Civil Aviation (known as the Chicago Convention).
    The troop carriers passing through Shannon are operated by Omni Air International or Sun Country Alliance. The Irish government has acknowledged since 2003 that the troops on board these aircraft have their personal weapons with them.

But they weren't going to or coming from a war.

Climbing a fence and breaching security is a great way to go about it, even if the use of Shannon by military planes going to war zones is wrong, breaching airport security is most definitely wrong.

It's a victimless crime and they were making a valid point. Legally wrong and morally wrong are two very different things. I'm amazed that people can feign such outrage at someone jumping a fence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

geeksauce wrote:
    No nobody is worse than Mick. Wearing a soccer jersey to work in the Dail what a fcuking moron.
    Clearly that makes him History's Greatest Monster.

This may be a push given that you can't remember who you voted for three years ago (?!) but do you even know who Haughey, Lowry, Ahern, Burke, etc, etc were? Do these names mean anything to you? If so, then what, aside from sportswear, makes Wallace worse than them?

Shannonwatch ...

Most of the US troops passing through Shannon Airport are on board flights that are classified as "civilian" flights. These are governed by the 1944 Convention on International Civil Aviation (known as the Chicago Convention).
    The troop carriers passing through Shannon are operated by Omni Air International or Sun Country Alliance. The Irish government has acknowledged since 2003 that the troops on board these aircraft have their personal weapons with them.

No one is complaining about US civilian flights or even US military flights that are not coming from or going to a war zone. The problem is with Shannon being used for CIA rendition flights and for Shannon being used a military hub to ferry troops and weapons to wars that Ireland is neutral in, i.e., Iraq and Afghanistan.

It's a victimless crime and they were making a valid point. Legally wrong and morally wrong are two very different things. I'm amazed that people can feign such outrage at someone jumping a fence.

Ok so its ok then to breach airport security. Right so that's handy to know. Just out of interest why do they have fences up then if it's not a big deal that people wander out into the runway and attempt to board planes?

Reekwind wrote: »

This may be a push given that you can't remember who you voted for three years ago (?!) but do you even know who Haughey, Lowry, Ahern, Burke, etc, etc were? Do these names mean anything to you? If so, then what, aside from sportswear, makes Wallace worse than them?

Uh, his hair lol

But they weren't going to or coming from a war.

Semantics - US and Russia up to no good somewhere, all the time - look at Ukraine ..... tis all the one from Shannon point of view.

Mick and Clare are still spoons though ...

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

kneemos wrote: »
    Have the US not got bases in the UK and Germany?why do they even need to land in Shannon?

Refueling. Planes like the four engine C-130 Hercules transport plane have a maximum range of 2,360 mi. So if they are crossing the Atlantic they need a top up if they took off from Germany or some other base in Europe or the Middle East.

Most of these aircraft mundane stuff like laptops, cable and wiring, paper clips, toilet rolls, batteries, tables and chairs, kitchen utensils etc etc. that are used at American bases.

There isn't likely to be a plane with a captive ET or a blind folded jihadi passing through Shannon.

• Advertisement

Funny, because I remember Cuban civillians trying to claim asylum being put back on the plane. You've a source to show these were "always full of soldiers"?

Shannonwatch ...

Hillarious. They're troop carriers, not planes carrying paddys to Miami.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭Sir Arthur Daley

kneemos wrote: »

Better value to be got on duty free.

Ok so its ok then to breach airport security. Right so that's handy to know. Just out of interest why do they have fences up then if it's not a big deal that people wander out into the runway and attempt to board planes?

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been arrested for breaking the law. I'm saying that his protest was valid. It's a shame more politicians aren't prepared to stand up for what they believe in.

Stealing for a start, not having a wash in about 40 years, not doing anything other than embarrassing the people of Ireland, putting self employed people out of business by not paying them what he owes while at the same time heading to the Euro's, World Cup, Italy a few times a year and kicking back in his vineyard. Yeah but Mick is a grand chap altogether.:rolleyes:

I could hazard a pretty good guess who I voted for, however couldn't be 100% sure, one thing I am certain about is I didn't vote for that clown, as only a complete and utter moron would do so.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been arrested for breaking the law. I'm saying that his protest was valid. It's a shame more politicians aren't prepared to stand up for what they believe in.

His protest may be valid in your eyes but the second he jumped the fence and breached airport security his protest went out the window and he simply became a criminal in my eyes.

The man can protest in the Dail whenever he wants, makes countless appearances on National TV so is most certainly in a position to get his point across without resorting to blatant criminality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

No one is complaining about US civilian flights or even US military flights that are not coming from or going to a war zone. The problem is with Shannon being used for CIA rendition flights and for Shannon being used a military hub to ferry troops and weapons to wars that Ireland is neutral in, i.e., Iraq and Afghanistan.

Would that be the same war in Afghanistan that currently has Irish troops there serving alongside the US military?

His protest may be valid in your eyes but the second he jumped the fence and breached airport security his protest went out the window and he simply became a criminal in my eyes.

The man can protest in the Dail whenever he wants, makes countless appearances on National TV so is most certainly in a position to get his point across without resorting to blatant criminality.

So you only had something against him when he did this? Pull the other one.

So you only had something against him when he did this? Pull the other one.

Oh no I had something against that muppet long before now, this is just another reason in a long list of reasons that vindicates my decision to not vote for this moron and to laugh at those that did.

Funny, because I remember Cuban civillians trying to claim asylum being put back on the plane. You've a source to show these were "always full of soldiers"?

Ok - maybe not full - but there were Russian soldiers frequently wandering around the Duty Free. Are you just anti - USA ( cos I'm not pro anybody )
    Wiki

Military stopover issue

Shannon Airport has a history of foreign military use. A large part of its business in recent years has been military stopovers, currently almost all American; however, the airport was also frequently used by the Soviet military until the 1990s, since Ireland, having a traditional policy of military neutrality, was not a member of NATO. There were some restrictions, such as being unarmed, carrying no arms, ammunition, or explosives, and that the flights in question did not form part of military exercises or operations. Shannon saw military transports throughout the Cold War and during the first Gulf War.
    In the aftermath of 11 September attacks, the Irish government offered the use of Shannon to the US government. When the United States invaded Iraq in 2003, the government still allowed United States armed forces to use the airport. This caused much controversy and was the subject of protests and a challenge brought to the High Court.[15] In January 2003, a woman took an axe to the nose cone and fuel lines of a US Navy jet; however, a trial ended in her acquittal. In February 2003, a group known as the Pitstop Ploughshares damaged a United States Navy C-40 Clipper aircraft at the airport. They were tried three separate times and ultimately ended up also being acquitted.
    A 2007 survey found 58% of Irish people opposed the use of Shannon for prosecuting the Iraq war.[16]
    As of November 2008, approximately 1.2 million troops have passed through Shannon since the beginning of the Iraq War. This has generated significant revenue for the airport and has offset the loss of flights from the end of the Shannon stopover and the general downturn in the global aviation industry.[17]
    In 2012–2013, the military flight contracts are held by Omni Air International, which uses Boeing 767 and 777 aircraft, Sun Country Airlines, which uses 737-800 aircraft, and North American Airlines, which uses Boeing 757s.
    In 2014, only Omni Air International operate troop transit flights, with an average of 1-2 flights per day
    In January 2014, 79 year-old writer and anti-war activist Margaretta D'Arcy was sentenced to three months in prison for scaling the perimeter fence of Shannon Airport in October 2012 in protest at the use of the airport by the US military. Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams and Independent TD Clare Daly have called for her release.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I could hazard a pretty good guess who I voted for, however couldn't be 100% sure, one thing I am certain about is I didn't vote for that clown, as only a complete and utter moron would do so.

You realise an informed vote for Wallace however much you disagree with his views is infinitely more intelligent than a random pointless uninformed vote for some random candidate who's name you can't even remember ?

I know exactly who I voted for and why, because I put more thought into it than picking a name I seen on the signs along the fcukin road.

• Advertisement

Semantics - US and Russia up to no good somewhere, all the time - look at Ukraine ..... tis all the one from Shannon point of view.

Mick and Clare are still spoons though ...

It's certainly not semantics. If Russian military aircraft were using Shannon as a military hub during a conflict, that would be wrong. The fact is, they never have and never will.
    John Mongo wrote: »
    Would that be the same war in Afghanistan that currently has Irish troops there serving alongside the US military?

Irish troops are serving under a UN mandated peacekeeping mission and as such are not serving alongside US troops who are involved in a NATO conflict (which Ireland are not part of) in the Afghan Civil War.

You realised an informed vote for Wallace however much you disagree with his views is infinitely more intelligent than a random pointless uninformed vote for some random candidate who's name you can't even remember ?

I know exactly who I voted for and why, because I put more thought into it than picking a name I seen on the signs along the fcukin road.

Good for you. ;)

//Edit//

In general given the level of choice in candidates we have here in Ireland, most times when I go to the ballot box I am voting for whoever is left on the list of those I could in no way ever vote for. Cross off those definite no's and see who is left, then make the decision. Mick will always be first on the list of no's.

Ok - maybe not full - but there were Russian soldiers frequently wandering around the Duty Free. .........

Armed Russian military like the US?

Did the Russians put military flights through there when they were in Afghanistan like the US did when there were in Iraq?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Reekwind

Stealing for a start, not having a wash in about 40 years, not doing anything other than embarrassing the people of Ireland, putting self employed people out of business by not paying them what he owes while at the same time heading to the Euro's, World Cup, Italy a few times a year and kicking back in his vineyard. Yeah but Mick is a grand chap altogether.:rolleyes:
    Out of curiosity, how many football trips equates to receiving a half million euro bung from Denis O'Brien?
    In truth, I don't particularly judge your political judgement right now. I'm not going to lie: that's partly due to the whole 'can't remember who I voted for' thing. You really shouldn't be dismissing others' voting patterns as moronic if you're incapable of discussing your own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

People voted for him. At least he makes an effort in the causes he believes in. How many of the stuffed suits in the Dail have ever made a stand about anything?

Not paying tax seems to be one cause he believes in anyway.

Armed Russian military like the US?

Did the Russians put military flights through there when they were in Afghanistan like the US did when there were in Iraq?

To me - a soldier is a soldier - I don't think any of em should ever be in Shannon, armed or not. Whether he has a gun here is irrelevant - what if that soldier is travelling somewhere to train others how to kill ? that ok so ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭John Mongo

Irish troops are serving under a UN mandated peacekeeping mission and as such are not serving alongside US troops who are involved in a NATO conflict (which Ireland are not part of) in the Afghan Civil War.

I very much hate to burst your bubble but that is just plain not true. Irish troops serve in Afghanistan as part of ISAF, the NATO led mission in Afghanistan.

The US, British, Canadians, French, Germans, Dutch... Ireland is on the same side as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

This is how you storm an airport! :D

Out of curiosity, how many football trips equates to receiving a half million euro bung from Denis O'Brien?

How many €500k's equates to the amount of money Mick owes Revenue or owes small businesses and the self employed he stole from?
    In truth, I don't particularly judge your political judgement right now. I'm not going to lie: that's partly due to the whole 'can't remember who I voted for' thing. You really shouldn't be dismissing others' voting patterns as moronic if you're incapable of discussing your own.

I am capable of discussing my own. As I have pointed out on numerous occasions I did not vote for Mick, that is discussing my own. I think anyone who did vote for him is a moron. Another example of me discussing my own is when I stated that discussing who one votes for in a public forum is almost as dumb as voting for Mick, a vote is a private affair. I don't even ask my Wife who she voted for as that is her business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Whether he has a gun here is irrelevant - what if that soldier is travelling somewhere to train others how to kill ? that ok so ?

We should only let soldiers through, armed or otherwise, if we can establish in advance that they are only going to kill, or train others to kill, the bad guys.

• Advertisement
Advertisement