Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mick Wallace and Clare Daly reportedly arrested at Shannon airport.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

bajer101 wrote: »
    For the people who are slagging them off or who have a problem with what they were doing, this is the way I see it. The majority of the citizens of Ireland do not want Shannon airport used a hub for illegal military stopovers. Wallace and Daly are also of this view and were elected as representatives of the citizens. As publicly elected representatives they tried to take action against the practice.

The majority? I don't know anyone that cares what goes on in Shannon tbh. Are the two of them checking all planes coming through all our airports for Illegal activity ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 485 ✭✭SoapMcTavish

We should only let soldiers through, armed or otherwise, if we can establish in advance that they are only going to kill, or train others to kill, the bad guys.

Excellent - lol ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

bajer101 wrote: »
    For the people who are slagging them off or who have a problem with what they were doing, this is the way I see it. The majority of the citizens of Ireland do not want Shannon airport used a hub for illegal military stopovers. Wallace and Daly are also of this view and were elected as representatives of the citizens. As publicly elected representatives they tried to take action against the practice.

The majority of the citizens? Have you conducted a poll of the citizens?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

geeksauce wrote: »
    I am capable of discussing my own. As I have pointed out on numerous occasions I did not vote for Mick, that is discussing my own. I think anyone who did vote for him is a moron. Another example of me discussing my own is when I stated that discussing who one votes for in a public forum is almost as dumb as voting for Mick, a vote is a private affair. I don't even ask my Wife who she voted for as that is her business.

No you're not. You don't even know who you voted for, how the hell can you discuss let alone claim your own judgement is superior to anyone else's. You're not even informed on your own opinion enough to know who you voted for and why let alone in any position to be calling others morons because they voted for someone else.

You're just being a dick. A clueless uninformed, dick.

No you're not. You don't even know who you voted for, how the hell can you discuss let alone claim your own judgement is superior to anyone else's. You're not even informed on your own opinion enough to know who you voted for and why let alone in any position to be calling others morons because they voted for someone else.

You're just being a dick. A clueless uninformed, dick.

Oh, look there go the toys from the pram.

Mick's actions since he was elected and before he was elected prove my judgement is superior to that of the people that voted for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

I’d love an actual meaningful discussion on “neutrality” in this country? Do most people give a fcuk whether we remain neutral or not in 2014? The shouting classes certainly think we should at all costs lest we align ourselves to the evil Americans or Israelis but what do actually believe in? Fact is most of them have a preference for one side over another which means they themselves are not “neutral”.

I think its about time in 2014 that we had a real debate about this in Ireland. It suited us in 1939 when we hated one side and the other side were the most evil b******s on the planet but what does it mean today? We don’t have to spend some money on defence? Its time to grow up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Mick's actions since he was elected and before he was elected prove my judgement is superior to that of the people that voted for him.

The empty and witless standard of your arguments throughout this thread suggests that it'll be a few elections yet before you're able to vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

The majority of the citizens? Have you conducted a poll of the citizens?

Of course it's the majority. That's why the protests are so large and not just the same few people who show up at everything at all.

On the runway ?

tumblr_ljq77svYwA1qavmeoo1_500.gif

• Advertisement

Of course it's the majority. That's why the protests are so large and not just the same few people who show up at everything at all.

Must have missed them, maybe I was washing my hair during the last protest.

I think it's been proven over the last few years that most Irish people aren't arsed with protesting against anything. I think it's fair to say though, that only a tiny minority of extremely right-wing blowhards tend to actively support the use of Shannon Airport by US military flights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

It's spelled 'reeducated'... one word, not two.

Maybe you need to look at it as an option for yourself.

What to do when losing an argument? Attack the guys spelling. You may as well have said "look over there", and ran away. And by losing an argument i mean by supporting those two morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Must have missed them, maybe I was washing my hair during the last protest.

Or doing your Junior Cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I support the use of Shannon by the US military. It provides money and jobs for the area and it peeves off silly trouble makers like Wallace and Daly.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭Azwaldo55

Coat22 wrote: »
    I’d love an actual meaningful discussion on “neutrality” in this country? Do most people give a fcuk whether we remain neutral or not in 2014? The shouting classes certainly think we should at all costs lest we align ourselves to the evil Americans or Israelis but what do actually believe in? Fact is most of them have a preference for one side over another which means they themselves are not “neutral”.

I think its about time in 2014 that we had a real debate about this in Ireland. It suited us in 1939 when we hated one side and the other side were the most evil b******s on the planet but what does it mean today? We don’t have to spend some money on defence? Its time to grow up.

Ireland's neutrality is an irrelevance.

We have a handful of single engine toys that do acrobatic display, a few helicopters, we can only field one battalion at a time on UN missions and the rest of the time our military is guarding money vans. We only have a few artillery guns, a light tank or two, a fleet of armored personnel carriers and a few bathtubs with guns welded on. Our special ops guys are supposed to be pretty good though.

At the moment America and Britain - the two countries we are closest two politically, linguistically and culturally - are at war with Islamic savages and are rivals with thuggish Russians and Commie Chinese b*st*rds.

I know who I am neutral on the side of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭W1ll1s

Well,whatever they did,it sure put the spotlight on them

Azwaldo55 wrote: »

We have a handful of single engine toys that do acrobatic display, a few helicopters, we can only field one battalion at a time on UN missions and the rest of the time our military is guarding money vans. We only have a few artillery guns, a light tank or two, a fleet of armored personnel carriers and a few bathtubs with guns welded on. Our special ops guys are supposed to be pretty good though.

At the moment America and Britain - the two countries we are closest two politically, linguistically and culturally - are at war with Islamic savages and are rivals with thuggish Russians and Commie Chinese b*st*rds.

Excellent phrase ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

No toys out of the pram, just saying it like it is. You are being a dick and little else given you're calling people morons for the way they voted and yet can't even remember who you voted for yourself.

Your judgement isn't superior to anyone's in fact given you are so clueless about your own vote I'd say your judgement is pretty poor. Whoever you voted for clearly hasn't done much since the election.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What to do when losing an argument? Attack the guys spelling. You may as well have said "look over there", and ran away. And by losing an argument i mean by supporting those two morons.

The opportunity to point out the irony of someone making basic spelling mistakes while at the same time calling people stupid, should never be passed up on.

As for 'argument'.. what was yours again?

Didn't even see that post by him, that's what typing on the Samsung leads to. Grammar Nazis.:D

• Advertisement

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Or doing your Junior Cert.

Doubt it, seeing as I did that many many years ago, back in the 90's, around the time Mick stopped washing himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

RayM wrote: »
    I think it's been proven over the last few years that most Irish people aren't arsed with protesting against anything. I think it's fair to say though, that only a tiny minority of extremely right-wing blowhards tend to actively support the use of Shannon Airport by US military flights.

:rolleyes:

Fair to say? Where's the evidence of this? Baseless claim to suit your own political leanings, I'm afraid.

Nobody protests, must be because of the fluoride in the water. Or some other 'logic'.

Last thing you would consider is that 99% of the population disagree with your opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why they focus on the US http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-07-15a.291 Details of the military overflights in Irish airspace during the past 12 months are set out in the following table.

COUNTRY TOTAL
    AUSTRALIA 1
    BELGIUM 36
    CANADA 20
    COLOMBIA 1
    COTE D'IVORE 1
    CZECH REPUBLIC 7
    DENMARK 3
    DJIBOUTI 1
    EGYPT 19
    FRANCE 55
    GABON 2
    GERMANY 29
    GREECE 4
    INDIA 3
    ISRAEL 1
    ITALY 21
    JAPAN 1
    JORDAN 20
    LEBANON 2
    LIBYA 1
    MALAYSIA 2
    MEXICO 5
    MOROCCO 2
    NETHERLANDS 74
    NEW ZEALAND 1
    OMAN 4
    PAKISTAN 4
    PANAMA 2
    QATAR 4
    ROMANIA 1
    SWEDEN 8
    SWITZERLAND 4
    UAE 1
    UK 8
    USA 1,194
    VIETNAM 3
    YEMEN 1
    Total 1546

No toys out of the pram, just saying it like it is. You are being a dick and little else given you're calling people morons for the way they voted and yet can't even remember who you voted for yourself.

Your judgement isn't superior to anyone's in fact given you are so clueless about your own vote I'd say your judgement is pretty poor. Whoever you voted for clearly hasn't done much since the election.

Oh no the toys definitely went out of the pram, way way out of it in fact.

My judgement is most definitely superior to those that voted for Mick, that fact is undeniable.

Doubt it, seeing as I did that many many years ago, back in the 90's, around the time Mick stopped washing himself.

You said in an earlier post he hadn't washed himself in 40 years. I'm starting to doubt the veracity of these hygiene related comments you're making.

why they focus on the US http://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2014-07-15a.291 Details of the military overflights in Irish airspace during the past 12 months are set out in the following table.

COUNTRY TOTAL
    AUSTRALIA 1
    BELGIUM 36
    CANADA 20
    COLOMBIA 1
    COTE D'IVORE 1
    CZECH REPUBLIC 7
    DENMARK 3
    DJIBOUTI 1
    EGYPT 19
    FRANCE 55
    GABON 2
    GERMANY 29
    GREECE 4
    INDIA 3
    ISRAEL 1
    ITALY 21
    JAPAN 1
    JORDAN 20
    LEBANON 2
    LIBYA 1
    MALAYSIA 2
    MEXICO 5
    MOROCCO 2
    NETHERLANDS 74
    NEW ZEALAND 1
    OMAN 4
    PAKISTAN 4
    PANAMA 2
    QATAR 4
    ROMANIA 1
    SWEDEN 8
    SWITZERLAND 4
    UAE 1
    UK 8
    USA 1,194
    VIETNAM 3
    YEMEN 1
    Total 1546

World Cup ?

You said in an earlier post he hadn't washed himself in 40 years. I'm starting to doubt the veracity of these hygiene related comments you're making.

Could be 40 could be 20 can't be totally sure it's too hard to tell at this stage, there is no scruffy gauge unfortunately.

Could be 40 could be 20 can't be totally sure it's too hard to tell at this stage, there is no scruffy gauge unfortunately.

Well that's a perfectly reasonable, not at all childish comment to make, as all your comments in this thread have been. Your arguing technique is the equivalent of closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M TOO SMART" over and over again.

DJIBOUTI 1

Seriously - DJIBOUTI 1 ?????

And it was a military flight ? DJIBOUTI ?

Is that what set Mick And Clare to madness ?

Well that's a perfectly reasonable, not at all childish comment to make, as all your comments in this thread have been. Your arguing technique is the equivalent of closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and shouting "LALALALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU I'M TOO SMART" over and over again.

At least my toys are still in my pram.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭eeepaulo

DJIBOUTI 1

Maybe they invaded ireland and we dd not notice

DJIBOUTI 1

Belgium 36 times is confusing me, who in their right mind would have cause to go to Belgium 36 times?

At least my toys are still in my pram.;)

Its a bit odd, IMO, for a 16 year old to still be in a pram but to each their own.

Its a bit odd, IMO, for a 16 year old to still be in a pram but to each their own.

I didn't realise Awkward Badger was 16, friend of yours is he?

:rolleyes:

Fair to say? Where's the evidence of this? Baseless claim to suit your own political leanings, I'm afraid.

Well, my 'extreme right-winger' might be your 'middle of the road'... I don't know... All I can say is that the kind of people I've encountered, who support the US military's use of Shannon tend to hold very right wing views on most other topics too. It's almost as if their gut instinct is to express the most obnoxious view possible, whatever the subject. :)
    Nobody protests, must be because of the fluoride in the water. Or some other 'logic'.

Last thing you would consider is that 99% of the population disagree with your opinion.

I'm not sure which orifice you plucked the fluoride reference from, but isn't that what they call a 'straw-man argument'? I've encountered a lot of people who disagree with things, but don't care enough to protest. 'Only' around 100,000 Irish people protested against the Iraq war in 2003, but I don't think anyone would use that statistic to 'prove' that the vast majority of people supported the invasion.

I didn't realise Awkward Badger was 16, friend of yours is he?

Nice. Its basically like you said "I know he is but what am I?"
    Your intellect is clearly vastly superior to that of a regular 16 year old. You must be one of them genius 16 year olds.

Nice. Its basically like you said "I know he is but what am I?"
    Your intellect is clearly vastly superior to that of a regular 16 year old.

Must be if I did my Junior Cert in the 90's and am now only 16.
    You must be one of them genius 16 year olds.

I assume you are not one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

why they focus on the US
    The number of occasions on which permission was granted for military aircraft of the countries concerned to land at the airport is outlined in the following table.

Country Number
    Bahrain 1
    Belgium 2
    Canada 5
    Croatia 3
    Egypt 4
    France 7
    Germany 4
    Italy 8
    Malaysia 1
    Mexico 1
    USA 630
    TOTAL 666

....eh that was my point - this "neutrality" crap is is just a smokescreen for crusties - I think we should join NATO. We'll bring f*ck all to them but they'll bring loads to us :)

• Advertisement

I watched Top Gun, its awesome.

Do you think maverick lives at shannon?

eeepaulo wrote: »
    I watched Top Gun, its awesome.

Do you think maverick lives at shannon?

No but I think Gooseman didn't die at all but was secretly smuggled into Shannon to play hurling for Clare

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

The funny part is, we're not even officially neutral. If we were officially neutral, we'd be required to maintain reliable armed services.

So we get out of that by never actually adapting neutrality in a formal way, but just routinely dodge every military activity that isn't peacekeeping.

No but I think Gooseman didn't die at all but was secretly smuggled into Shannon to play hurling for Clare

Not smuggled - rended? renditioned? renditionised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

He was my father, you insensitive bastard! And it was Goose, not Gooseman. That was Val Kilmer. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭131spanner

A pair of idiots.

• Advertisement

RayM wrote: »
    Well, my 'extreme right-winger' might be your 'middle of the road'... I don't know... All I can say is that the kind of people I've encountered, who support the US military's use of Shannon tend to hold very right wing views on most other topics too. It's almost as if their gut instinct is to express the most obnoxious view possible, whatever the subject. :)

I'm not sure which orifice you plucked the fluoride reference from, but isn't that what they call a 'straw-man argument'? I've encountered a lot of people who disagree with things, but don't care enough to protest. 'Only' around 100,000 Irish people protested against the Iraq war in 2003, but I don't think anyone would use that statistic to 'prove' that the vast majority of people supported the invasion.

100,000 protested? Send on a link to that please. With official attendance figures from the Gardai

Claire Daily is a silly bint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Davarus Walrus

I wonder if Ming is going to make an appearance to support the plight of his former colleagues who used to sit up in the peripheries of the Dáil chamber? Can't be long until his hectoring nasal tone is heard on TV and radio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I agree with our neutral position and believed it has served us well. In a Red C poll last year 82% of the Irish public felt the same and want our neutrality to continue.

For me we can allow military planes to refuel here and still remain neutral if, and only if, we have a system in place to inspect the planes. Not just US ones, any nations planes who have made a declaration that Shannon will not be used as a hub for wars.

The very fact that successive Irish govts have refused to inspect the planes shows me two things-
    1) Official Ireland's usual deference and bowing down to what it perceives to be a higher power
    2) There is likely something going on after all

The default position of Official Ireland is to bow down to power instead of asserting our nations sovereignty and making our own decisions without outside coercion. You only had to look at Michael Noonan waiting in Shannon airport for Donald Trump or Enda Kenny getting rubbed on the head by Sarkozy for an example of how Irish politicians behave in front of their 'betters'. They're scared of them so they laugh and play about nervously, all the time hoping to gain approval in the same way a lapdog would.

For me personally I don't want any wars in my name and I object to Shannon being used as a supply line for war anywhere by any nation. That's what Irish neutrality means to me. It's a shame our spineless politicians can't see that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Claire Daily is a silly bint.

That's as may very well be, but she has more cojones than most of the rest of them put together.

• Advertisement
Advertisement