Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing outside

Options
  • 22-07-2014 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭

Ok first time asking advice regarding parenting,our little lad who is three wants to be constantly outside playing with all the neighbourhood kids ,we live in a small Estate with only 13 houses. I don't mind him out playing but all the kids are older than him the nearest age to him is 4 and a half.
    My biggest problem is that all the kids are in and out of each other's houses constantly ,I know some of the neighbours well and would have no problem with him playing in there house but some people would hardly say hello yet other parents have no problem with there little girls playing for hours in a strange house. The kids from one house in particular are very rough and the sexual language out of a 5 and 9 year old is shocking.
    Of course my little lad does not understand why I won't let him have the freedom of the estate and other parents more than likely thinkI am been unnecessarily fussy. Plus it seems I am the only parent who won't let a group of kids have the run of the my house.
    I am a stay at home dad and don't want kids that I don't know very well in and around my house.
    So my question is am I being to strict with him he gets so upset it breaks my heart. He does get out to play when I can see him and know where he is but he wants to stay out with the other kids for the day,which I can see why he would want to.
    Sorry for long post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Go with what you are comfortable with, you don't have to justify your actions to anyone else. Get more involved with the other parents though, communities are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

There are a few neighbours who I would be friends with but the rest just don't make the effort we have tried inviting them to BBQs and over for drinks but they never show,a number of them are foreign so maybe it's Cultural thing.
    Have invited there children to birthday party's with no luck....they just want to keep to themself and that's fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Its a tough situation but i wouldn't isolate yourselves either. We live in a single dwelling in the countryside and my 4yr old won't play outside by himself (or with just his toddler brother), which means me spending a lot of time outside kicking ball with him or else arranging play dates to friends' houses which involve heading off for a full morning/afternoon in the car. While i love playing with him, and am happy to give him some of my undivided attention, I can't get anything done while i'm playing with him or away on play dates so i end up doing a lot of household chores after he's in bed. I can get jobs done while he's stuck in front of the TV alright but that's not the upbringing i want for him. I'd love if we had neighbours he could play with. But of course you have to be comfortable with the other kids/families involved and any potential influence they will have on your son, surely there's a happy balance somewhere. Could you arrange more structured play dates where you invite a few specific kids that you like over to your house for an afternoon.

Advertisement