Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing kittens?!

• 22-07-2014 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭

Hi guys :)

I know know generally cats clean themselves etc and I've never really heard of someone bathing their cat but I need advice on something!

I rescued two kittens last week and have kept them as I was planning to rescue a cat from a shelter anyway (they're so cute!). Anyway when I found them they both had bad diarrhea and needed to be wormed badly. They've been to the vet and have been wormed and thankfully that's all cleared up now. However I'm sorry to say they both stink :p

They both had gotten poop on them several times when they first came home and were getting used to the litter tray and I cleaned them up with wet cotton wool but they smell now quite strongly. Is it possible to give them a bath or will they freak out? Am i better off putting up with the smell or trying a different way? I saw kitten shampoo in my local pet shop but I wasn't sure if it would ok to use on them, I don't want to traumatize the two of them by trying to wash them.

Anyone any advice on this? Apart from the smell though they are very happy and seemed to have settled in great thankfully :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

All I can say is good luck ;)

I'd probably give them the bath, wearing very thick gardening gloves and a head to foot overall, gentle shampoo and maybe do it when a feed is due, so that when they're done, they eat soon after, and hopefully that will help to wipe out the bad memory of the bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭nanook5

I have washed a few kittens before :D What I did was fill up a basin with lukewarm water,hold the kitten by the neck(to paralyze him/her)and under the belly and slowly leave it into the water.

Then just scoop up a hand full of water and rub it into them.Repeat.Apply shampoo if you want.

Just keep their head above the water at all times so that they don't panic.

Then dry them in a towel and they'll be nice n fluffy :P

(I had 5 kittens which loved the bath/basin :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Personally I wouldn't put them into the water. Maybe a nice soft sponge and a sink of warm soapy water (with appropriate shampoo). Scrub them up on the floor, then rinse with a fresh sponge. Would that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

SillyMangoX on here would be able to advise you - she has to clean one of her cats when he makes a mess of himself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

When I found one of mine, she was tiny enough to sit in the palm of my hand and was absolutely walking with fleas (to the point that it was a danger to her) and I held her under the tap to wash them off as an emergency before we could treat her properly. She loves water and likes to play with the hose when I am cleaning out their house. No trauma :) Have you tried baby wipes? We sometimes use these on the dog when she finds a heap of sh1t to role in :( But I would second the suggestions of scrubbing them up a bit and then rinsing. They can be wriggly feckers :P

Enjoy the new babies! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭truedoom

I was always under the impression that you're not supposed to wash cats.
    Washes all the oils out of their fur, and they can get colds or worse.

not sure if there is any truth to that?

To be fair, it didn't stop me and my mum washing our cat when he went out rolling in kerosene (small leak in the oil tank).

It was either that or have him get sick from swallowing kerosene.

he turned out okay, although wasn't best pleased with us :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭rannerap

I have to wash my long haired cat the odd time as she gets it all over her tail and sometimes legs :( I used a cat shampoo and it works a treat. It's usually a two man job as she's so big now but been doing it since she was a kitten. Was very easy when she was smaller! It won't do them any harm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I had to wash one a couple of weeks ago, hand temp water, rub kitten until purring, lower rear end into water (I put shampoo in water first, it's dilute so easy wash out), give a quick rub, and rinse, fast!
    Wrap in warm towel and feed something yummy instantly!

If water temp is right and they are happy being rubbed, they don't notice right away, gives you about 10 seconds to get the job done, good luck!

Another method is to use a facecloth, warm soapy water (cat shampoo soapy) and wipe them all over, they love it, rinse with plain water on cloth, but more for general smelliness than your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭larrlin24

Oh I've given many kittens baths over the years. Not an easy task, but possible :D I've found that sponge baths work the best. Mix gentle kitten shampoo & lukewarm water in a bowl and wipe them down. It might take two people to do it as one person will have to scruff them. Do it as slowly and as gently as possible so you don't frighten them. Afterwards cuddle them a warm towel and give them a treat! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

tk123 wrote: »
    SillyMangoX on here would be able to advise you - she has to clean one of her cats when he makes a mess of himself

I figured someone would bring my name up here :P

Dude has to be washed regularly because of incontinence, every day when he's bad, once a week otherwise. What I do it have the hose in the bath running at one end, put Dude in the other end with his head facing away from the hose so he doesn't actually see the water (only his butt has to be washed anyway!), either scruff him if he is very resistant, otherwise I just keep one arm on his chest/under his legs so he can't escape and have loads of treats in front of him to distract him. After that it's just move as quickly as possible! I highly recommend pet head deodorising shampoo, it completely cuts the smells!

Though in saying all that, Dude isn't a normal cat, he was bottle raised so is exceedingly calm in any situation he's put in. With one of my other cats who's ears I've had to wash I get someone else to hold him, mix shampoo with lukewarm water and just sponge him down because he would completely flip if water is poured on him (I know from previous experience!). Hope this was of some help! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

There are dry foams to wash cats without the trauma of the water, they have different fragrances.
    I also used wet wipes with some success.
    If you think that only water and shampoo can do the job, take a basin and fill it with a few inches of lukewarm water. Put a towel at the bottom of the basin so that the cat doesn't slip on the plastic and doesn't panic.
    Never wash a cat's head because water running in their eyes or ears can cause panic.
    When finished rub the cat gently with a soft and dry towel, if the cat is brave enough you can also use a hair-drier. Anyway keep it in a warm place until it's completely dry.
    Be prepared to some scratches :D

I washed several cats and kittens.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,326 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There are dry foams to wash cats without the trauma of the water, they have different fragrances.
    I also used wet wipes with some success.
    If you think that only water and shampoo can do the job, take a basin and fill it with a few inches of lukewarm water. Put a towel at the bottom of the basin so that the cat doesn't slip on the plastic and doesn't panic.
    Never wash a cat's head because water running in their eyes or ears can cause panic.
    When finished rub the cat gently with a soft and dry towel, if the cat is brave enough you can also use a hair-drier. Anyway keep it in a warm place until it's completely dry.
    Be prepared to some scratches :D

I washed several cats and kittens.
    Currently have a 9 week old foster cat directly from the street who got ear mites; I'm telling you the world is going under every time we need to clean her ears if you're listening from the outside...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I've washed all my cats before. I started washing them as kittens, and while they don't like it, they get used to it. I haven't done it since before I was pregnant (just basic furminator grooming), but when construction is finished and before the baby comes, they'll all get a good wash!

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Thanks a million for all the replies! I'll try what has been suggested, I'm sure it's going to be an interesting experience!

Advertisement