Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Toddler with Peanut Allergy

Options
  • 22-07-2014 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi

My 2.5 year old toddler was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy about 6 months ago. We were given the Epipen's - would hope never to have to use them obviously, but very reassuring safeguard to have...

We are going on holidays shortly to a very remote part of Ireland - and I am worried about something happening there and the difficulty we would have getting him to a hospital.
    I know its a tad irrational, given we have managed to avoid peanut / peanut based products to date - but I am still concerned if God Forbid something happened!!

Anyone got any experience in having a child with this allergy and managing it? Any advice welcome!

Maura

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

mauraf wrote: »
    Hi

My 2.5 year old toddler was diagnosed with a severe peanut allergy about 6 months ago. We were given the Epipen's - would hope never to have to use them obviously, but very reassuring safeguard to have...

We are going on holidays shortly to a very remote part of Ireland - and I am worried about something happening there and the difficulty ewe would have getting him to a hospital.
    I know its a tad irrational, given we have managed to avoid peanut / peanut based products to date - but I am still concerned if God Forbid something happened!!

Anyone got any experience in having a child with this allergy and managing it? Any advice welcome!

Maura

I don't have any experience with my child but I myself carry an Epipen. I totally get what you mean about being in a remote part of the country because I have the same thoughts! I have got more relaxed as the time has gone by but that's not necessarily a good thing.

You need to tell them at cafes, restaurants, etc that your child has a life threatening nut allergy and carries Epipen. I find that food places don't take it seriously unless you explain about the epi!!

Bring your own snacks for your child and stick to what you know is safe but never assume something is safe when someone else prepares it!! Ask and ask and even if you order mash potato tell them about allergy because they also prepared nut products in the same kitchen! They should use a separate space!!

Marks and Spencers have a wide range of food and sweets that are nut free!!

Also Beshoff chippers and restaurants fry there food with peanut oil! Always ask in fast food restaurants what oil they use!! Batter burgers can contain nuts too! Avoid any Chinese or Thai food as ALOT of their sauces are nut based! I personally don't take the risk with Thai food especially

Your epi gives you around 20mins/30mins to get to the hospital. You should have at least two pens with you at all times!! even store one in the car (away from sun)

I hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

Just as general point nowhere in Ireland is really that remote anymore, especially since the introduction of the air ambulance service. Do you mind if I ask what part of the country you are going to?

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

Thanks for your replies!

Really great detail there Sleepytrees - thanks for the tips! What we tend to do at the moment if we are going anywhere - is feed him at home beforehand, so he isnt hungry when we are out....working so far, so hopefully that will continue.

Heading to an island off the SW coast - hence my concern! Mobile coverage is poor - but then again - anywhere we go, we will generally have our own food with us for him....We were there last year as well, when we didnt know about this allergy - and there was no issue at all....so this year, I know about it - and am panicked! I have been trying to reassure myself about the Air Ambulance - God Forbid if needed....but we are still so far away....

We have 4 epipens (am a little paranoid!!) - and have 2 with us at all times....God, one of those things I really hope never to have to use!

Thanks again!

A paranoid mother!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

If you really want to know what the story is why not call the local doctor on call service in the area and explain that you are going to the island and that you just want to know what to do in case of something happening.

This way you will have the right number to call straight away and you will know the likely chain of events in an emergency (whether there is a doctor or nurse on the island ect). You might even be able to give them your child's details so that in the event of something happening they will already have his/her details.

I live in the North West and our service is excellent googling ''doctor on call'' in the relevant area should get you a number to call.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭mauraf

farmchoice wrote: »
    If you really want to know what the story is why not call the local doctor on call service in the area and explain that you are going to the island and that you just want to know what to do in case of something happening.

This way you will have the right number to call straight away and you will know the likely chain of events in an emergency (whether there is a doctor or nurse on the island ect). You might even be able to give them your child's details so that in the event of something happening they will already have his/her details.

I live in the North West and our service is excellent googling ''doctor on call'' in the relevant area should get you a number to call.

Thats a brilliant idea, Farmchoice - sincere thanks for that! I will certainly do that before we head - and it will give me some peace of mind! I would never have thought of that!

Really much appreciated!!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

You actually might be better off on the island, considering that a helicopter would be deployed in the event of an emergency, whereas if you were on the mainland, there could be a couple of hours to the hospital by road depending on where you were staying.

Its a good idea to check in with the local doctor when you arrive, get emergency numbers, names and numbers of first aiders on the island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

There isn't always time to wait for helicopter or doctors as a reaction happens almost instantly or can occur up to 20 mins after eating what you are allergic too!! Nowhere is really safe unless you have your injection and avoid what you are allergic too. That girl died recently in the city centre and she was minutes away from hospitals and doctors!! But she didn't have her injection unfortunately and she died.

The best thing you can do for your child, is have the injections, and you already said you carry 3! That is great and not panic! Which is difficult because I get nervous sometimes and I couldn't imagine how scared I would be if my son had the same thing!

I eat out ALOT but usually same places and order the same things and I always ask if it's something new.

You are no safer in the city than in the island in my opinion!
    Once you have your injections and avoid nuts, it will be grand :)
    You already know all the right things to do. Have a great holiday!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Not irrational at all, my eldest has a mild/moderate cashew allergy, which thank goodness is nowhere near as common as peanut use in food. On peanuts, watch italian food as well as asian. They sometimes use random nuts as a cheaper ingredient than pine nuts in pesto too. Sometimes that goes into pasta sauces or onto pizza or chicken in italian places.

I assume since it is diagnosed you are able to recognise the signs of a reaction.

The air ambulance is a great service, and it has the coast guard helicopters as a backup too. you won't need it I'm sure, but make sure you know how to locate yourself for giving them directions. That can be the hardest part for emergency services, locating the person. There are phone apps which will give you your gps coordinates.

Advertisement