Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish death in the Tolka

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fiachr_a

Might be the hot weather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Looks like detergent, just passed by and big half meter plooms of white foam all over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

adamski8 wrote: »
    Looks like detergent, just passed by and big half meter plooms of white foam all over the place.

Walked past in Drumcondra about an hour ago - I'd agree with this, looks like someone dumped a lot of detergent into the river.

There's a lot of wildlife around there, including swans and ducks with cygnets and ducklings, besides the huge numbers of fish that look to have died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

actually spotted this, this morning, it definitely isn't detergent, it is foam but if you look closely it comes across as some sort of industrial waste, saw a few trout dead near botanic gardens and also this evening i went up to where the old tolka lodge pitch and putt course was and seen a number of trout dead there. As an avid fly fisher i am fuming, hopefully the culprits or business etc is traced and brought before the courts!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

RTE just reported that Dublin City Council now know the cause of the foam on the Tolka and will release a statement later this afternoon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 c_murph

Muahahaha wrote: »
    RTE just reported that Dublin City Council now know the cause of the foam on the Tolka and will release a statement later this afternoon

The website is mentioning "industrial pollution" and a joint statement from two organisations, one of which will be DCC I guess...

Yeah I think the other org is the EPA. If it's industrial waste then I'd imagine the source could be the Dublin Industrial Estate just up the river from Griffith Park.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Yeah I think the other org is the EPA. If it's industrial waste then I'd imagine the source could be the Dublin Industrial Estate just up the river from Griffith Park.

No one would be stupid enough to do that, it's too traceable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Saw some reports about an accident in the Tolka causing major fish killings

http://www.thejournal.ie/tolka-fish-dead-1583514-Jul2014/

http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/0722/632430-tolka-river-dublin/

Anyone nearby that can comment?

Looks like detergent or something released into the river.

im nearby,i counted four adult brown trout and two juvenile fish floating dead at violet hill on Monday.and to think just last year salmon were spawning in the river,after being absent for a century.The tolka anglers club keep that river in tip top condition,i hope whoever behind this gets hit hard in the pocket

discus wrote: »
    No one would be stupid enough to do that, it's too traceable.

How do they trace it ? Like I know if it was a specific chemical used by a specific industry that might narrow things down. But do they put some kind of unique identifier into every batch of chemicals so they can trace who it was actually sold to ? If so then hopefully the perpetrators will be caught.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Eddiemania

If they find who's responsible they should be made pay for the clean-up and re-stocking the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Have they actually released the name of the person/organisation responsible?

Have they actually released the name of the person/organisation responsible?

No- RTE reported it in way that suggested DCC and the Inland Waterways knew who did it but then the statement came later from DCC and it didn't say anything along those lines

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭octo

Looks to be a factory in Finglas according to here. http://www.herald.ie/news/tolka-fish-kill-may-have-been-washingup-spill-30463421.html

Walking up through Griffith Park today, there's still loads of dead fish in the river. Disgusting. I wonder why DCC don't clear it out? Surely it's a health hazard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

octo wrote: »
    Looks to be a factory in Finglas according to here. http://www.herald.ie/news/tolka-fish-kill-may-have-been-washingup-spill-30463421.html

Walking up through Griffith Park today, there's still loads of dead fish in the river. Disgusting. I wonder why DCC don't clear it out? Surely it's a health hazard.

Interesting how it seems from the article that authorities were only notified after the spill was noticed in the Tolka.

Yeah it seems to me that the company could have rang the council earlier than they did as they fought to get it under control. I'm not sure of the council/Inland Waterways could have done anything to stop the horse bolting but if they could the damage was done before they knew a problem existed. I could be wrong but it does kinda come across that way.

Regardless some part of my mind is at peace in that it was an accident, if it had of been a lorry literally rolling up to the banks of the Tolka and tipping chemicals into it that would have been an entirely different matter.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of fine results if it was the company responsible.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Rather than a fine I would like to see them pay for the re-stocking of the river and other remedial works, do fines get given directly to Waterways Ireland or do they just go in the "pot"?

Advertisement