Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How to deal with Seals?

• 22-07-2014 5:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭

I've noticed Seals in the water a few times near the swimming area of the Bull Wall recently and, last night, spotted one upsetting a swimmer. I was googling how to deal with them in the water and came across this (amidst a load of ads for seal swimming excursions :rolleyes:)

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/sexstarved-seals-prey-on-bathers-26558734.html

Anyone have any advice / experience in dealing with them? Whilst I know ithe ocean is "their" territory more than ours, I've no interest in swimming with them and would like to learn how to encourage them to leave me alone should one come near when I'm swimming?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Doeshedare

The only advice I have heard is dont look them in the eye!

My experience with them is that they seem more curious than anything else. This curiosity has involved swimming on their backs underneath me and tickling my feet with their whiskers. When this happens half way between Irelands Eye and Howth it takes quite an effort to stay calm. My impression is that in more sheltered area's you might be in their territory and if they have pups or are horny you might be perceived as a threat. I know someone who has stopped swimming in Balscadden as a result of their attention and she got nipped by one on the same Irelands Eye to Howth swim, incidently she was the only woman in a group of about 10.

So to distill my ten cents, always swim with at least one woman, stay away from what could be their home territories, dont look them in the eye and if one is around you the panic might get you quicker than the seal. The only reliable seal repellant is a Great White Shark.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mermaria

The Golden Rule in any sea sport is ask to locals before getting in about things to watch out.

Seals are attracted by bright colours. However, seals have also the habit of chasing scuba divers, therefore they are attracted by wet suits, fins and surface markers!

The advice of ignoring then, works. Gentle movements also works. Swim backwards breast-stroking or breaststroke with head out all the time.

If you feel they are grabbing your toes, the best is be gentle, no kick, stop and then swap to breaststroke. By doing this their fun is over. They might look for attention, ignore them then.

If they blow air on your face, be calm, they are just playing so it's up to you what to do. If you want it go away, head out and ignore it. If you want to play with it, then bubble air back, it go away first, to go to your back and then come back later to blow air on your face. It can do it your whole swimming session. People does it all the time and nothing happen.

What to do if you have an encounter with a nasty seal. Pretend you are dead is your only choice. Works. And of course report it to the local authorities!

Remember than seals do not eat humans and wild animals do not kill others unless they are in the food chain and always give a warming when they feel you are a threat.

With genders, they do not care, they case the person who give them more fun, fastest and best stroke, their glide is what they like. In my group of swimming, seals chase either men and women. One day a men accidentally hit on its head and the seal did nothing just went away. Where I swam, seals haven't showed any preference on gender and age.

Also it's untrue the pee myth. It doesn't make any sense in the sea and neither between different species in land! .... it's very funny people who actually take it as true LOL

Advertisement