Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaking my lease on house :-)

Options
  • 22-07-2014 6:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am currently renting a house. I'm due to pay my last month on the 9th August. I leave the 9th sept . What I'd like to do is leave on the 9th August as I've found a new rental property I want.
    Could I just do this and the landlord could just keep my deposit. I'll have all the bills paid upto date so I wouldn't be leaving the landlord with a bill.

Can the landlord demand my last month as well because I'm breaking my contract?

Thanks ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Your deposit is not a last months rent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

MYOB wrote: »
    Your deposit is not a last months rent.

I know that.

I need to know if I leave will he just take the deposit and that's it or will he chase me up for the last month?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

He/she can chase you through the prtb but he/she won't for 1 months rent. Good luck getting a reference though!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tintin8 wrote: »
    I know that.

I need to know if I leave will he just take the deposit and that's it or will he chase me up for the last month?

He is well within his rights to chase you for the portion of the last months rent he is entitled to (determined by making actual efforts to reduce the loss by filling the property) as well as any part of the deposit that actually had to be used for its intended purpose - and almost certainly will too.

You may be able to come to an agreement in advance, depending where the house is and the local rental market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tintin8

theteal wrote: »
    He/she can chase you through the prtb but he/she won't for 1 months rent. Good luck getting a reference though!

Ye that's true, ill prob hang on in that case . It's only a month I guess. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just be a grown up about it: ring up and negotiate. If he wants to let it to students, he'd probably appreciate getting it back from you a few weeks earlier.

sound advice above there just have a chat with the LL and try to negotiate something ,

why should it be pay or do a legger?? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Tintin8 wrote: »
    I know that.

Why would u do this ? The deposit is for damages not for rent.

Advertisement