Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight loss

• 22-07-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭millionmystery

Hi all, just wondering if anyone has any diet that really does work (apart from the obvious exercise and less calories!). I'm ten stone and want to shed a full stone, really struggling at the moment and even at my absolute best can't manage to lose anymore than three or four pounds and always land back at the same start weight! Just want to see what worked for other people.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

There is no magic pill. Eat less.

/Thread

Edit: Ten stone doesn't seem a lot, are you not very tall or underage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭generic2012

lemon water before bed every second night. I lost 3 and half stone in a month. srs.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭noah45

Cut out carbs

noah45 wrote: »
    Cut out carbs

and fats and protein.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

It's kind of like low carb high fat diets, all common sense might tell you it's a bad idea but that's actually the governments lying. There's loads of people on the internets thats does it, I red about this one fella who lost 100lb and got really healthy after it. Don't believe people who tell you it doesn't work because theyre stupid and there's people on the internet that says it does work so it does.

• Advertisement

Clean eating paleo diet....I've been on it 8 months and never felt better. 3.5 stone down. Tried them all, weight watchers, slimming world etc...paleo diet totally works. Good fats, no carbs, nothing processed, all great food. Without sounding cheesy it is 100% a lifestyle change not a diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Bruno26

Remove sugar and grains from your diet. Eat less than 150 grams of carbs daily or under 100 grams if you want faster results. Get your head around to the idea that's it's a lifestyle change and that you are not on a diet. You can eat whatever you want as long as it does not contain sugar or grain. Eat real unprocessed food. This is the most sustainable way to eat if you want to lose and keep the fat off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 225 ✭✭Twas Not

noah45 wrote: »
    Cut out carbs

GOMAD diet while also dropping solids will work wonder and ensure you continue to get vital nutrients. Also great for teeth and bones.

Twas Not wrote: »
    GOMAD diet while also dropping solids will work wonder and ensure you continue to get vital nutrients. Also great for teeth and bones.

For losing weight!? Jesus Christ.

Surely there should be some screening process on comments post in a health and fitness forum before they're posted?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inedia

It's kind of like low carb high fat diets, all common sense might tell you it's a bad idea but that's actually the governments lying. There's loads of people on the internets thats does it, I red about this one fella who lost 100lb and got really healthy after it. Don't believe people who tell you it doesn't work because theyre stupid and there's people on the internet that says it does work so it does.

Ye I agree about a screening process - it would prevent ridiculous posts like the one above.

• Advertisement

Bruno26 wrote: »
    Ye I agree about a screening process - it would prevent ridiculous posts like the one above.

What about this one? -
    Bruno26 wrote: »
    You can eat whatever you want as long as it does not contain sugar or grain.

I've provided as much evidence for my claim as you have for yours.

EDIT: Actually more evidence than you, I don't think you've ever even linked a wikipedia page?

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭millionmystery

lemon water before bed every second night. I lost 3 and half stone in a month. srs.

Hi generic2012 I've heard about the lemon water benefits....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

What about this one? -

I've provided as much evidence for my claim as you have for yours.

EDIT: Actually more evidence than you, I don't think you've ever even linked a wikipedia page?

Don't get him started again, he's derailed enough threads as is.

Don't get him started again, he's derailed enough threads as is.

Bullsh*t. Did you see the crap written above? Why is that rubbish tolerated?

Great contribution to the thread!

Boskowski wrote: »
    There is no magic pill. Eat less.

/Thread

Edit: Ten stone doesn't seem a lot, are you not very tall or underage?

About 5'4. Thanks!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

OP, post up what you would typically eat on a normal day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

About 5'4. Thanks!!

Ah get it. For a man ten stone would probably be just perfect then, but for a woman probably a tad too much. Although there isn't a hard and fast rule I think for BMIs as everyone is a little different of course. I think for that height anything between 8 and 10 stone can be a perfect BMI. I think for a man it may be half a stone more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

I'm 5ft 3 and anything over 9 stone is too heavy for me and I'm squeezing myself into my size 10 clothes. The BMI tells me I'm still in a healthy range at 10st 2lbs when in reality I'd be very overweight and probably a tight size 14.

OP, eat as cleanly as you can. Lots of dark leafy greens and salads/vegetables with meat and fish. Avoid carbs as much as you can and cut out fizzy drinks, juices etc, don't eat too much processed food, refined sugars, refined carbs. Cut out packaged breakfast cereal as most of them are full of sugar. Eat more protein than perhaps you eat at the moment as this will help you feel more full when you reduce the carbs.

I try to stick to an 80/20 rule so Mon - Fri I'm very good and I relax a bit at the weekend. I've found this the best way for me to maintain a healthy weight which is tough when I'm so small.

I'm 5ft 3 and anything over 9 stone is too heavy for me and I'm squeezing myself into my size 10 clothes. The BMI tells me I'm still in a healthy range at 10st 2lbs when in reality I'd be very overweight and probably a tight size 14.

OP, eat as cleanly as you can. Lots of dark leafy greens and salads/vegetables with meat and fish. Avoid carbs as much as you can and cut out fizzy drinks, juices etc, don't eat too much processed food, refined sugars, refined carbs. Cut out packaged breakfast cereal as most of them are full of sugar. Eat more protein than perhaps you eat at the moment as this will help you feel more full when you reduce the carbs.

I try to stick to an 80/20 rule so Mon - Fri I'm very good and I relax a bit at the weekend. I've found this the best way for me to maintain a healthy weight which is tough when I'm so small.

Does anyone know if those protein powders are any good at filling you up, for example putting them through a smoothie or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Does anyone know if those protein powders are any good at filling you up, for example putting them through a smoothie or something?

Personally I don't really think protein powders make you "fuller" but that's because they don't work that way. I don't believe that they're supposed to be used as a meal replacement - I.e "ah sure I'll skip lunch and have a protein shake instead"
    They act as a supplement, that is an extra quick and easy way to get a 20-30g hit of protein if your goals are to reach a certain level of protein a day. I think they're only really beneficial if the rest of your diet is good aswell though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just bump this one if it's ok! :)

I'm 37 years old, male, 6ft, unsure of weight, but about 16 1/2 stone.

I play football (goalkeeper) at a decent level for my club, and have recently started back to pre-season training. It's going ok, and I've a meeting with a wellness clinic type place (Herbalife) on wednesday morning.

I train tues and thurs with the club, and will do my own bit of running on the other days.

I'm asthmatic too, and tbh my weight is hampering me health wise. My goal is not to be 12 stone befofre Christmas or anything like that, but I'd like to improve my general health. With that in mind, I said I'd post on here and sure I might get the odd piece of helpful advice.

What can possibly go wrong ha! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Al Capwned wrote: »
    Rather than starting a new thread, I'll just bump this one if it's ok! :)

I'm 37 years old, male, 6ft, unsure of weight, but about 16 1/2 stone.

I play football (goalkeeper) at a decent level for my club, and have recently started back to pre-season training. It's going ok, and I've a meeting with a wellness clinic type place (Herbalife) on wednesday morning.

I train tues and thurs with the club, and will do my own bit of running on the other days.

I'm asthmatic too, and tbh my weight is hampering me health wise. My goal is not to be 12 stone befofre Christmas or anything like that, but I'd like to improve my general health. With that in mind, I said I'd post on here and sure I might get the odd piece of helpful advice.

What can possibly go wrong ha! :)

Start with posting up what a typical days food is like. Warts 'n' all...though if there are any actual warts, keep that to yourself.

Exercise is great but getting your diet is more important

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

The above.

i am surprised no one asked for it already.

If you post an HONEST typical day, people here can actually give you tangible advice on how it looks and changes that may help.

Advertisement