Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dunga New Brazil coach

• 22-07-2014 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭

Didn't see that one coming.
    feels like a step backwards rather than forwards. wonder what the reaction to this appointment in Brazil is like?

Comments

syngindub wrote: »
    Didn't see that one coming.
    feels like a step backwards rather than forwards. wonder what the reaction to this appointment in Brazil is like?

Bizarre appointment to say the least. A perhaps overused however true sentiment

'The definition of madness is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results each time'

Never was it so apt. The problem with Brazilian football is greater than Dunga or Scolari in my opinion. The problem lies with more Brazilian players starting off in Europe as kids and a subsequent preference for big strong robots who will do as their told as opposed to players of natural flair being selected.

Brazilian international coaches then will opt for established European players (however big a donkey they might be) over players of natural ability who start off in their own league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Looks like the Brazilian FA have sized up the problem facing them and decided the solution is to stick their head in the sand.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

it is a little bit of a nightmare job at the minute, lack of players currenty and massive expectations. i would gather that the FA will look to change the system or at least hope they will but they hae appoited Dunga to try steady the ship during the transistion.

Very defensive thinking coach but i feel its probably a slight improvment.

Remains to be scene what will happen, i would imagine certain brazilians who played in the world cup may not ge near an international squad again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Bizarre appointment to say the least. A perhaps overused however true sentiment

'The definition of madness is doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting different results each time'
    They have a history of doing that. Look at the list of managers of the Brazilian team on Wikipedia and you'll see they've done it dozens of times before. The amount of former managers returning is insane.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

They have a history of doing that. Look at the list of managers of the Brazilian team on Wikipedia and you'll see they've done it dozens of times before. The amount of former managers returning is insane.

I dont think it's the fact that it's a former manager so much as it's manager with a fairly atypical style for brazil historically. Can see the same focus of on defensive work and lack of flair that was apparent under big phil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Its not the day and night change that some people wanted but Dunga's team will almost certainly be more effective than Scolari's. His style of play won't hark back to the glory years of Brazil, but it will be more specifically effective player by player. Dunga has one of the best win percentages of any Brazil manager in history as well.

It's not as easy as flicking a switch to change something like this. If nothing else I expect Dunga to steady the ship considerably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I really thought that the Brazilian FA would use the debacle of WC2014 to look at their style of play, and try to go back to more free-flowing, exciting, attacking football.

How wrong I was.

They have probably appointed the worst manager possible to make this happen. He has the potential to make Brazil worse.

Your right they sure do. Zagallo, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Scolari, and now Dunga have all had two spells at the job. To be fair to Zagallo, Scolari and Parreira they all previously won the World cup but i think Brazil seem to place too much emphasis on the effect of the manager. Sure a good manager is important but when the players have dried up there is little any manager can do. Alex Ferguson wouldnt make much with that current Brazilian team. They were sheer dreadful.

It's as if the people in charge of selection think that the manager has a magic wand. Scolari while being a good manager made huge mistakes, however, there is little more he could do with the awful selection he had to choose from and also to be fair he did get them to the last four even if they did get spanked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

NIMAN wrote: »
    I really thought that the Brazilian FA would use the debacle of WC2014 to look at their style of play, and try to go back to more free-flowing, exciting, attacking football.

How wrong I was.

They have probably appointed the worst manager possible to make this happen. He has the potential to make Brazil worse.

They definitely wont be worse. While Dunga is certainly a defensive minded coach, he's a better tactician than Scolari and will make them less pourous in midfield.

I think Brazil would have had worse results had they just chosen an attacking, Brazil style play just for the sake of it. Completely switching focus to attacking talent that is simply not there at the moment would leave Brazil even more vulnerable than they are now.

Corholio wrote: »
    They definitely wont be worse. While Dunga is certainly a defensive minded coach, he's a better tactician than Scolari and will make them less pourous in midfield.

I think Brazil would have had worse results had they just chosen an attacking, Brazil style play just for the sake of it. Completely switching focus to attacking talent that is simply not there at the moment would leave Brazil even more vulnerable than they are now.

Fair point. Maybe Brazil just need to get back to a place where they are hard to beat first. Dunga is essentially firefighting. The powers that be need to look at the bigger issue in Brazil though. They have to find a way of reforming from the bottom up

• Advertisement

Your right they sure do. Zagallo, Carlos Alberto Parreira, Scolari, and now Dunga have all had two spells at the job. To be fair to Zagallo, Scolari and Parreira they all previously won the World cup but i think Brazil seem to place too much emphasis on the effect of the manager. Sure a good manager is important but when the players have dried up there is little any manager can do. Alex Ferguson wouldnt make much with that current Brazilian team. They were sheer dreadful.

It's as if the people in charge of selection think that the manager has a magic wand. Scolari while being a good manager made huge mistakes, however, there is little more he could do with the awful selection he had to choose from and also to be fair he did get them to the last four even if they did get spanked.

He could have started by playing hulk centrally dropping fred.

He could have started by playing hulk centrally dropping fred.

True but Hulk wasnt much better if we're being totally honest. He ignored the likes of Coutinho...hell i reckon even Kaka and Pato were worth a place on that side when you look at the shíte that was brought. Other than Neymar and Oscar, you'd be hard pressed to pick any other Brazilian who made an impression.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

True but Hulk wasnt much better if we're being totally honest. He ignored the likes of Coutinho...hell i reckon even Kaka and Pato were worth a place on that side when you look at the shíte that was brought. Other than Neymar and Oscar, you'd be hard pressed to pick any other Brazilian who made an impression.

Don't think Oscar was great myself. Thiago Silva can certainly hold his head high after the WC that he had.

pato is useless recently. hulk had a decent wc. moura shoulda gone wide right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

Parreira actually had three spells. He won the World Cup during his second spell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

pato is useless recently. hulk had a decent wc. moura shoulda gone wide right.

I thought he was woeful! For a guy who has pace and no lack of physical power about him he doesn't produce anything near what he should do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

764dak wrote: »
    Parreira actually had three spells. He won the World Cup during his second spell.

And if they aren't the manager they seem to end up as some sort of an assistant in the set up anyway!

Zagallo and Parreira seem to have been involved in every squad in some capacity since the '70's!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,059 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Maybe Zico might have had a go at it, after his comments about starting afresh?

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3841/world-cup-2014/2014/07/16/4964104/brazil-must-stop-hiding-from-world-cup-failure-zico

Advertisement