Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1st birthday present ideas..

Options
  • 22-07-2014 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

My daughter is celebrating her first birthday next month. She is not yet crawling or walking, she shuffles about on the floor. Does anyone have any good suggestions for presents for that age group?? I'm mindful that she'll probably be walking when we're inside more. I have a few family and friends ask me what she might need toys or otherwise. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

A vtech activity babywalker (push along), a box of duplo, wooden blocks. My daughter was given a fisher price handbag at that age that plays music, has keys, a bracelet, mirror and other bits in it. She loved it at that age and still loves it now at 2.5 years. They don't need much at that age :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

Sorry, I should have said she has a jumperoo and a Vtech walker. Outside of that she doesn't have much. Really need to keep her entertained over the winter as its just me with her all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Who doesn't have a vtech walker ;)

Crayons and colouring books and paper were always a big hit here from around 1 on, also some instruments like xylophones, drums (pots and pans and a spoon cover that) and whistles. Interactive books with flaps and tabs etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

What about a little car/ ride on. http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/c-648/ride-ons/p-2946/my-first-minnie-mouse-ride-on/

my daughter got a hand me down one and loved it from about 11 months and even now (27 months) she flies around the house on it. (we live in a standard 3 bed semi) she even brings it for walks and zooms down the path on it . Loves hiding things under the seat too.

Also loves lego and blocks from about that age too.

Loves her etch a sketch too and gets loads of use out of it.

Ball pit is another big hit.

If you have a garden a sandpit. Not much use over the winter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

What about this trike or something similar. Nana got our little fella the blue one and he loves it!

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/product/2367/

Also books books and more books. You can never have enough books for kids.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭Deranged96

mala

Deranged96 wrote: »
    mala

At 1? My daughter only wanted to eat it at that age. I should probably route it out now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Thebigblue

Does it have to be a present? I started a savings account for my girl when she was 1 and will let her pic something on one of her older birthdays that she wants

Suucee wrote: »
    At 1? My daughter only wanted to eat it at that age. I should probably route it out now though.

haha i don't know anything about babies.. I just said I'd name something classic to compete with the aforementioned modern trinkets and doo-dads

What's mala?

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    What's mala?
    Its the coloured plasticine smallies get in school to make worms and snails out of :)

Deranged96 wrote: »
    Its the coloured plasticine smallies get in school to make worms and snails out of :)

O cool :)... I think my fella would eat it tho :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Definitely books. Our 14 month old has just discovered books so she opens the press, chooses one, brings it over to either of us, puts her hands up to be put on our knee and puts the front page of the book in our hand and grunts for us to read it to her. She would sit there for an hour listening to the same story over and over again.

Definitely books. Our 14 month old has just discovered books so she opens the press, chooses one, brings it over to either of us, puts her hands up to be put on our knee and puts the front page of the book in our hand and grunts for us to read it to her. She would sit there for an hour listening to the same story over and over again.

Snap to that. She has a few favourites. We go to the library too as mammy can get fed up of the same story and she throws an awful wobbly when we have to give them back. On a few occasions we have had to renew certain books again. Much to my dissapointment. She nearly knew the story herself as well as us.

She loves books. We go to the library every fortnight too so new books are definitely on my list. I'm just wondering if there's a big thing like the jumperoo that would keep her entertained for a while that I haven't heard of before. I do like the idea of the trike though.

If u want something big you can nut one of those big plastic kitchen things with cookers and pots etc. my son absolutely loves opening the cupboards and putting the pots a d plastic food in them... :)

Here's an example but there's loads of others that are more elaborate. Or others that are smaller.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/fashion-dolls/c-498/kitchens-household/p-1753/smoby-tefal-excellence-kitchen/

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

I'd definetly 2nd the sit and ride toys with the handle/backrest that have the lift up seats.
    They do always love these my children did when little and my granddaughter loves it to
    Especially the hiding little keepsakes under the seat, just be sure to keep checking when they are asleep as sometimes, snacks and even worms are their treasure lol ;)

I'd definetly 2nd the sit and ride toys with the handle/backrest that have the lift up seats.
    They do always love these my children did when little and my granddaughter loves it to
    Especially the hiding little keepsakes under the seat, just be sure to keep checking when they are asleep as sometimes, snacks and even worms are their treasure lol ;)

O yes definitely! We have one similar to te first 2 here... https://www.google.ie/search?client=safari&hl=en&biw=320&bih=416&tbm=isch&sa=1&ei=PmTPU_3sHq2u7AasgYHADg&q=mickey+mouse+clubhouse+ride+on+toy&oq=mickey+mouse+clubhouse+ridq&gs_l=mobile-gws-serp.1.1.0i13l2.105308.109074.0.112007.8.6.0.0.0.0.781.3093.2-2j5-2j2.6.0....0...1c.1.49.mobile-gws-serp..2.6.3092.1FeRhWNQ-5E

He loves it! Its great for when they are learning to walk aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

Hi Icecream queen, think we had our babies around the same time! Cant believe a year has passed.

I'm getting my little fella a year pass to the zoo, well technically I'm getting a yearly pass for myself for €112 which includes entry for another adult or two children (kids under 3 are free) . Dont know if you're in Dublin but I figure it'll be a nice thing to have for days out for the year.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭Grandadsbear

I got this for my little ones 1st birthday ... she was 4 this month and it's still played with ...

http://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Search?storeId=10152&catalogId=14551&langId=111&searchTerms=fisher+price+tea+set&authToken=%252d1002%252c8RvTgzRQUIkiaCQg1wd0wg264Io%253d

IMHO keep it cheap and cheerful for as long as you can... :D

xalot wrote: »
    Hi Icecream queen, think we had our babies around the same time! Cant believe a year has passed.

I'm getting my little fella a year pass to the zoo, well technically I'm getting a yearly pass for myself for €112 which includes entry for another adult or two children (kids under 3 are free) . Dont know if you're in Dublin but I figure it'll be a nice thing to have for days out for the year.

I know, it did seem like a long year though, in the best possible way. So much has happened. I had my wee girl at the start of August. What about you?

That's a fantastic gift. I'm in Donegal now but I'll have to go back to work in Dublin eventually. I'll keep this in mind for when I do. Thank you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭xalot

I know, it did seem like a long year though, in the best possible way. So much has happened. I had my wee girl at the start of August. What about you?

That's a fantastic gift. I'm in Donegal now but I'll have to go back to work in Dublin eventually. I'll keep this in mind for when I do. Thank you :)

6th of August, think we were the last to go from the July 2013 board. Glad you're doing well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,260 ✭✭✭Mink

This Vtech Alphabet train has been played with everyday for the past year (it was gotten for his 1st birthday). He never actually rode it, just plays with the blocks and pages & buttons etc. Few other friends got it around 1st birthday and they're all mad about it.

http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/toys/pre-school-electronic-learning/c-465/vtech-infant/p-1852/vtech-push-ride-alphabet-train/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Books are my answer to everything as well!

The favourite big present at that age here was a trike. Got loads of use out of it.

Another one was a doll house she got for christmas when she was nearly 1. The boy equivalent is a fireman sam firestation I think...

It is a good solid wood one, and she still plays with it every day, years later. I took out some of the small parts of course.

MC7812.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭ene

i got this for a friends daughter, it arrived really fast and is really gorgeous and would be a good keepsake for years to come!

its a nice story and not obviously personalised when your reading it but a lovely rhyming tale!

http://www.lostmy.name

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

pwurple where did you get that dolls house? I think it would be a fantastic Christmas present for my 15 month old (and me!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

pwurple where did you get that dolls house? I think it would be a fantastic Christmas present for my 15 month old (and me!).

I didn't get it for her, was a gift from someone else, 2 yrs ago. not 100% sure where they bought it. If it helps, it's the Voila Toy range I think. There is a small toy shop in Cork which stocks that brand. This is the shop: http://www.douglasvillage.ie/store-directory/voila/

Thanks for all the fantastic suggestions. I went with the trike and I bought her a wee photography session too. I can't wait to see the photographs :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement