Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon monoxide false alarm

• 22-07-2014 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭

I came home today and the carbon monoxide alarm was goin off saying 200ppm. Nobody at home all day. No stove on for the last 2 month. No gas hob on. A window left open and all. Open doors alarm stops. Checked the alarms battery..Its ok...am I right in sayin it couldn't possibly be carbon monoxide. Alarm about 6 yrs old and it's a detached rural house

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

If you can move the alarm outside do and see what reading you get. Bring it in then if it reads zero and recheck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭Steven81

Concentration Symptoms
    35 ppm (0.0035%) Headache and dizziness within six to eight hours of constant exposure
    100 ppm (0.01%) Slight headache in two to three hours
    200 ppm (0.02%) Slight headache within two to three hours; loss of judgment
    400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal headache within one to two hours
    800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea, and convulsions within 45 min; insensible within 2 hours
    1,600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, tachycardia, dizziness, and nausea within 20 min; death in less than 2 hours
    3,200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness and nausea in five to ten minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
    6,400 ppm (0.64%) Headache and dizziness in one to two minutes. Convulsions, respiratory arrest, and death in less than 20 minutes.
    12,800 ppm (1.28%) Unconsciousness after 2–3 breaths. Death in less than three minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭Robbie.G

Moggaman wrote: »
    I came home today and the carbon monoxide alarm was goin off saying 200ppm. Nobody at home all day. No stove on for the last 2 month. No gas hob on. A window left open and all. Open doors alarm stops. Checked the alarms battery..Its ok...am I right in sayin it couldn't possibly be carbon monoxide. Alarm about 6 yrs old and it's a detached rural house
    Most co alarms have a life span of 6-7 years and some of the more expensive models have a lifespan of 10 years but need the sensor replaced at 5 years.
    Check the side of alarm and it will state when it needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Our alarm went off when my partner and I were sitting in the room last month. There was no fire or heating on, and it had been installed exactly as per guidelines, so we were confused.
    After a while I realised that the lamp next to it was switched on. There was a small bit of dust on the bulb that started to "burn" after an extended period and the "fumes" set it off. We wiped down the bulb, aired the room, and it stopped.

These alarms can be extremely sensitive so be very thorough when you're checking for a source.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

as already mentioned, domestic CO detectors have an operational life of approx 6yrs so you would be advised to replace your detector

one of the most common gases that is cross sensitive to Carbon Monoxide is Hydrogen. Low levels of Hydrogen can give very high readings (>200ppm) of CO.

Where a source of Hydrogen in a house could trigger this I'm not sure, but if the batteries in the unit are possibly old and maybe leaking, I could be mistaken to think that some of the gas they emit when they leak is Hydrogen. I stand to be corrected on this

However, you did the right thing when your alarm went off, next step is get yourself a new unit

• Advertisement
Advertisement