Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caught giving a friend prescription medication

Options
  • 22-07-2014 7:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Hi all I was stopped today by an unmarked detivtive car and was found with 23 xanax and my friend had 8 which I had given him , all where confiscated ,wasn't arrested but they said I have to go to the station tomorrow get pics taken and give a full interview . Where do I stand here as the guard thinks I was selling them but I am prescribed them for severe anxiety stress ?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

Speak to a solicitor before you do anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Yeah have a meeting with one in the morning before I go station :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Hi all I was stopped today by an unmarked detivtive car and was found with 23 xanax and my friend had 8 which I had given him , all where confiscated ,wasn't arrested but they said I have to go to the station tomorrow get pics taken and give a full interview . Where do I stand here as the guard thinks I was selling them but I am prescribed them for severe anxiety stress ?

If you were prescribed them for "severe" symptoms, why were you giving some of them away? Do you not need them yourself? If it's a case that you don't need them, or don't need as many as you have been prescribed, have you told the prescribing doctor that? Does your friend's doctor know that they are sourcing prescription meds from a friend?

On the label it says take when needed , so some days I have to take none and would have plenty left over . What's the most likable outcome from this if ye could guess ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

On the label it says take when needed , so some days I have to take none and would have plenty left over . What's the most likable outcome from this if ye could guess ?

You are admitting guilt on an internet forum , which can't help a likable outcome

• Advertisement

Oh I am guilty yeah I admitted it . I also give them to my mam when she's stressed out of her head so what's the big deal? I am prescribed the medication and gave my buddy a few to calm he's nerves as he wasn't well recently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Oh I am guilty yeah I admitted it . I also give them to my mam when she's stressed out of her head so what's the big deal? I am prescribed the medication and gave my buddy a few to calm he's nerves as he wasn't well recently

The big deal is that they were prescribed to you and not to anyone else.
    You were assessed by a medical professional who said they were suitable for your usage, the same can't be said for your friend/mum when they have not been assessed.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭BigCOB

Moral indignation aside, I'll answer your question. If it is your first offence of this nature and you can produce a letter from your doctor, nothing will come of it. You could even be cold enough to ask for the ones you were carrying to be returned but I wouldn't recommend that. The main concern you will have is you admitting you owned and supplied the ones your friend had, on that front I'd certainly be talking to a solicitor. Overall, with A clean record, I wouldn't be overly concerned.

No lecturer from anyone please, I'm just helping him on an anxiety front, probably more important given he has no meds to calm himself down lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

The big deal is that they are a controlled drug, while legal for you to have they are illegal for anyone other than a doctor or pharmacy to supply. Also benzodiazepines are a seriously addictive drug and should only be taken under medical supervision.

To sell or otherwise supply is an offence under section 15, some people would even say such drugs are more dangerous than for example cannabis.

If I remember the maximum penalty under section 15 misuse of drugs act in district court is 12 months and in the Circuit Court was 14 years I think the maximum is now life. A first offence should hopefully lead to only a slap on the wrist.

Take proper legal advice before you do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

The big deal is that they are a controlled drug, while legal for you to have they are illegal for anyone other than a doctor or pharmacy to supply. Also benzodiazepines are a seriously addictive drug and should only be taken under medical supervision.

To sell or otherwise supply is an offence under section 15, some people would even say such drugs are more dangerous than for example cannabis.

If I remember the maximum penalty under section 15 misuse of drugs act in district court is 12 months and in the Circuit Court was 14 years I think the maximum is now life. A first offence should hopefully lead to only a slap on the wrist.

Take proper legal advice before you do anything else.

Are you sure Xanax is a controlled drug?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

The big deal is you are not a medical professional qualified to assess and diagnose your mother and your friend, you have no idea if the Xanax is contraindicated with any other condition they may have or meds they may be on,(and thus is dangerous for them to take) and you are not legally entitled to supply prescribed drugs.

drkpower wrote: »
    Are you sure Xanax is a controlled drug?

You may be correct as it may only be a controlled under the 1988 Regs and not the 77 Act as amended, will have to double check when I have time to go through all the SI's.

The guarda was actually pretty cool he just said look it's not like ur caught with heroin or cocaine u where caught wiIth a few xanax tabs . But he thinks I'm
    Lying about been prescribed them . I found my most recent cert and will produce tomorrow and I do really need them back as I have medadation !! Didn't think it was a big deal giving m friend a few as my mum often texts me to ask do I have any to spare as she also suffers with severe anxiety

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Are you nuts? You are giving a prescription only medication out to people for whom it's not been prescribed?

I was once on very strong painkillers, so strong, and so many that my gp would add notes onto the prescription as to why it was such a big prescription.

They came with a list of side effects the length of my arm, I'd not even dream of giving one to anybody else, lest they come to harm.

You may be correct as it may only be a controlled under the 1988 Regs and not the 77 Act as amended, will have to double check when I have time to go through all the SI's.

I don't think Xanax is a controlled drug and is not covered by the misuse of drugs regulations. It is covered by general medicinal products legislation.

That being the case, whether giving a tablet to your friend/family even represents a criminal offence is an open question. I'm certainly not aware of aNy prosecutions for it.

Survey upon survey has shown that sharing of medications is rife. While that is hardly a good idea, the idea that the HPRA or the courts would prosecute/convict people who 'innocently' give a Xanax to their buddy is scarcely credible.

(That's not advice OP, it's just general commentary)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

my mum often texts me to ask do I have any to spare as she also suffers with severe anxiety

Why does she not go see a doctor and get her own prescription?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Just bring the prescription to the Gardai and that should be the end of it. My view is that they don't believe you re the prescription.

I don't think Xanax is a controlled drug and is not covered by the misuse of drugs regulations. It is covered by general medicinal products legislation.

That being the case, whether giving a tablet to your friend/family even represents a criminal offence is an open question. I'm certainly not aware of aNy prosecutions for it.

Survey upon survey has shown that sharing of medications is rife. While that is hardly a good idea, the idea that the HPRA or the courts would prosecute/convict people who 'innocently' give a Xanax to their buddy is scarcely credible.

(That's not advice OP, it's just general commentary)

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1988/en/si/0328.html

Schedule 4

(a) Alprazolam.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/meds/a684001.html

Alprazolam is used to treat anxiety disorders and panic disorder (sudden, unexpected attacks of extreme fear and worry about these attacks). Alprazolam is in a class of medications called benzodiazepines. It works by decreasing abnormal excitement in the brain.

As I said I don't think its controlled under the 77 act but the 88 regs, so I agree not covered by section 3 or 15. But issues would arise under the 88 regs I think.

My mum runs out and I'm prescribed a stronger dose that's why , yeah il bring that in the morning u have it anyway :) just hope it doesn't go on record and give me a criminal charge . I certainly learned my lesson today

As I said I don't think its controlled under the 77 act but the 88 regs, so I agree not covered by section 3 or 15. But issues would arise under the 88 regs I think.

What's the relevance though?

Schedule 4 only relates to drugs subject to the requirements of articles 20, 21, 22 and 23, which don't seem to be especially relevant.

• Advertisement

Schedule 4 only relates to drugs subject to the requirements of articles 20, 21, 22 and 23, which don't seem to be especially relevant.

As I said I don't think sections 3 or 15, unlike my first assertion, would apply as only covered by the 88 regs. But the general regulation 4 would apply, but I can find if that carries any penalty or not, sorry but schedule 4 does not apply to reg 4 (c) but it seems applies to (b)
    (b) supply or offer to supply a controlled drug, or.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

My mum runs out and I'm prescribed a stronger dose that's why , yeah il bring that in the morning u have it anyway :) just hope it doesn't go on record and give me a criminal charge . I certainly learned my lesson today

Your mother needs to talk to her doctor about her dosage, and be a bit more disciplined about running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

Topping up your mums dose if she runs out of the very same medication is one thing, but giving them to your buddy is idiotic. My doctor would only give me a weeks dose of diazepam at a time and only gave me a few doses, for severe pain. Diazepam is similar to Xanax, being from the same family. Imagine your friend had an allergic reaction, maybe going into anaphylactic shock. Help your friend by telling him to go see his GP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Purely from your own perspective, and looking out for your own health, I'd encourage your friend, and your mother to look out for their own health, and seek their own prescriptions, as appropriate.
    Take care.

I was in Diazapam myself before but didn't suit me . I know was stupid thing to do . But I just handed him the file and said take 2 or 3 of those for your nerves, not knowing an unmarked car was behind me . Ohh well better take it on the chin and face the music in the morning , won't be something il ever be doing in the future again . Didn't think handing a friend a few xanax would be so serious tbh,

• Registered Users Posts: 43 ruby37

If you have been on Xanax for any length of time and then try to come off them, you will then realise how serious a drug they are. The withdrawals are horrific. They are certainly not a drug to be passing on to people that haven't been prescribed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

They're still a controlled drug so Part two of the Misuse of Drugs Regulation 1988 would apply, that is

4. (1) Subject to the provisions of these Regulations a person shall not—

(b) supply or offer to supply a controlled drug.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

goz83 wrote: »
    Topping up your mums dose if she runs out of the very same medication is one thing, but giving them to your buddy is idiotic. My doctor would only give me a weeks dose of diazepam at a time and only gave me a few doses, for severe pain. Diazepam is similar to Xanax, being from the same family. Imagine your friend had an allergic reaction, maybe going into anaphylactic shock. Help your friend by telling him to go see his GP.

What does a doctor do to ensure you don't suffer from an allergic reaction to a drug? I've been prescribed various drugs over the years but I've never gone through any test to make sure I'm not allergic to them.

If you're allergic to something, then you're probably only going to find out about it the hard way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

As far as I am aware the active ingredient in xanex is a benzo which is a controlled drug. This means that if you don't go to them they'll probably come to you. Best to get to that solicitor first thing. I have known people to be charged under section 15 for both hoarding and passing on prescribed medication.

• Advertisement

They're still a controlled drug so Part two of the Misuse of Drugs Regulation 1988 would apply, that is

4. (1) Subject to the provisions of these Regulations a person shall not—

(b) supply or offer to supply a controlled drug.

Thats correct, fair point.

Although, it is incredibly unlikley that a prosectutioin would be pursued in the hypothetical scenario presented by the OP. Where 'sharing' of prescribed drugs is so commonplace in Ireland, and where no prosecution has yet been taken in these circumstances, the OPs hypothetical case doesnt strike me as the most attractive one to bring. Of course, any prosecution would be made less attractive by the fatc that the 'supplier' needs to know (or have reasonable grounds to know) that Xanax is a controlled drug (although obviously thats a matter for evidence ultimately).

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement