Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

I do not think United will win the league this year, but I think winning something like the FA Cup/League Cup should absolutely be aimed for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    The dream well and truly died for Doc when Kroos signed for Madrid. Also, Max? You two BFFs now? Sleeping together? FFS. I feel so left out, and unloved.

Your damn right. I wasn't really keeping tabs on Vidal, knew nothing about him pre-world cup. I knew that we had an interest and that he was highly regarded, but never saw anything for myself.

Kroos was a different story, and I felt he was one of the best CM's in the world. Thought we were going to land an absolute wonder signing, and then got absolutely gutted.

To be honest I think its worse the fact he did actually move. If he stayed I wouldn't have been so annoyed, but the fact he moved probably indicated we were in the mix, and he choose Real over us :(

I guess my feelings towards this are similar to say if loads of the lads sweating for Vidal, say him move to somewhere else rather then us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

weisses wrote: »
    Lets see how Zen you really are 2 days before the closing of the transfer-window with now new signings

Bro, I be chillin'. I'll be all:

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Bild reporting Karl-Heinz Rummenigge said that Reus' buyout clause is actually €25 million and not €35. Can't see the truth in it though since they paid nearly €20 million for him in the first place.

Also, El Confidencial saying we were sniffing around Turan but won't pay his €40 million buyout clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

With no Europe, I think top 4 and an old school cup run is very achieveable with even the squad that we have at this minute. (I have a hankering for a run at the FA Cup, I'm getting very nostalgic with the old age)

2 defenders signed and I think the above is nailed on.

2 defenders and a high class midfielder and I think we'll have a pop off the title.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

If players like Kroos and Reus are apparently available for 25 million. United should be busting a nut trying to get them... I really can't fathom why we are not going hell for leather trying to get these players.

Years of football manager has made me disillusioned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭weisses

Don't look surprised If ManU signs Alonso ... Just saying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Lets see how Zen you really are 2 days before the closing of the transfer-window with now new signings

See how zen people are in November when its Carrick and Cleverley in midfield again, the other teams won't let us play and Mata and Rooney are having to drop back into midfield to try and get the ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Funny – I had the same thought over the weekend but dared not suggest it on here.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

See how zen people are in November when its Carrick and Cleverley in midfield again, the other teams won't let us play and Mata and Rooney are having to drop back into midfield to try and get the ball.

And Van Gaal will just say, "Wayne, Juan, stop doing thish or I'll put on Shinji." And they wont do it anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I would love that personally and welcome him with open arms. Of all the players still playing who have history with Liverpool he is by far my favourite.

MARCA suggest that he is keen on deals for Daley Blind, Ron Vlaar AND Kevin Strootman

Reprinted by the ever reliable Mirror but I think this is far more likely to happen than any Vidal / Cuadrado / Di Maria moves. If this was the case it would make for a nervous first half of the season waiting on Strootman but worth it in the long term.

Vlaar would be a good signing purely because he knows the manager and has experience playing his style in an area we are shockingly unprepared for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Any of you gents seen the new Utd third kit (blue one) in stores in Dublin yet?

Have to pick it up for a friend's birthday.

Nailz wrote: »
    I would love that personally and welcome him with open arms. Of all the players still playing who have history with Liverpool he is by far my favourite.

Only issue I'd have with Alonso is that he has looked a bit off the pace, not only in the WC but in the final strecth of La Liga. Not sure if he was nursing an injury or something.

Has been in the top echelons of CM's for sometime now. Beautiful player.

Would be chuffed to get Strootman, like, really really happy.

That sort of injury isn't as destructive as it once was, with advancements in therapy and the likes. At his age, has every chance of making a strong recovery.

Blind and Strootman would be very good signings. Strootman might not be an immediate impact, but I'm sick of reciting how he was on a path to be a world class CM, and while that path might have skewered slightly with injury, nothing to say he still won't make it.

The Blind one seems a bit too obvious in terms of gossip, but would sort of that LWB cover as well as providing his ability in CM. Would probably be a starter ahead of Fletcher and Cleverly as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭Mr_Red

I wonder if Some players will be called into " The Office " today

317402.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

I'm really not a fan of Ron Vlaar. Decent for Villa and functional for the Netherlands but there's a reason why he is playing for PL relegation candidates at 29. This is his peak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,777 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Apologies if article posted already, most of the Rodgers quotes in this

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/05/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-louis-van-gaal

Brendan likes to talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

TheDoc wrote: »
    Would be chuffed to get Strootman, like, really really happy.

That sort of injury isn't as destructive as it once was, with advancements in therapy and the likes. At his age, has every chance of making a strong recovery.

His is an ACL injury isn't it? To be honest I don't think you're right here, it remains a potentially devastating injury. All going well you've a good chance of making a full recovery, but it doesn't always go well, and when it doesn't you're basically shagged whether you're 18 or 38.

I watched a documentary about a new procedure that should dramatically increase the success rate, but as far as I'm aware it's not being used yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Mr_Red wrote: »
    I wonder if Some players will be called into " The Office " today

317402.jpg

Where's Ashley Young?

Oh wait he had a couple of good games so now everyone loves him, he's our first choice right wing back and his wages don't matter!!!!! :pac::pac::pac:

****Don't take this personally****

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

noodler wrote: »
    Any of you gents seen the new Utd third kit (blue one) in stores in Dublin yet?

Have to pick it up for a friend's birthday.

It's not released until the end of September

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

Xavi:
    'When I think about all I have won with Spain and Barcelona and all they great players I have played with - it is impossible for me to have any regrets,' said Xavi.
    'Maybe one small regret is that I never got to play with Paul Scholes - but I was never going to leave Barcelona and he was never going to leave Manchester United.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2717812/Barcelona-midfielder-Xavi-admits-regret-career-not-playing-alongside-former-Manchester-United-star-Paul-Scholes.html

Scholes stock rising, now at all time high.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm really not a fan of Ron Vlaar. Decent for Villa and functional for the Netherlands but there's a reason why he is playing for PL relegation candidates at 29. This is his peak.

I'd much rather have Vlaar than Vermaelen. I said before the world cup that I was very impressed with him last year, he was very much the leader in what was a young Aston Villa side. He is no superstar, but as an experienced player who can act as cover for the likes of Jones and Smalling I would be happy enough to see him come in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Not sure if he has already played his testimonial but my guess he might ask schools to play

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Jesus he said the PL is a tough physical league and that LVG will do well to win it in his first season. He's right ffs. Why people losing the plot?! Rodgers is probably the most bearable manager Liverpool have had in years in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Vlaar is a no brainer for me he is by no means top class but he ticks a few boxes.

Premiership experience, experience with the system and would cost peanuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Giggsy11 wrote: »

scholes stock was always at an all time high with his fellow pros.. they always knew how good he was. just some of the fans didn't have the same respect or whatever due to his profile or lack of

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I honestly don't think Cleverley is going anywhere. Much to my displeasure I might add.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'm sure Van Gaal will take all of what Rodgers said on board...

2d2al8l.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭statto25

His is an ACL injury isn't it? To be honest I don't think you're right here, it remains a potentially devastating injury. All going well you've a good chance of making a full recovery, but it doesn't always go well, and when it doesn't you're basically shagged whether you're 18 or 38.

I watched a documentary about a new procedure that should dramatically increase the success rate, but as far as I'm aware it's not being used yet.

They are trialling that procedure at the moment and it should be available in three years.
    Strootman is the ideal signing, if he was 100% fit, which he obviously isn't. If we wait until January to see how he progresses that still half a season without a midfielder we so desperately need. If Van Gaal is putting all his eggs in the Strootman basket then we could be in trouble come January if his recovery doesn't go to plan. We will have to look elsewhere and there aren't many players who will move halfway through a a season and any that will would need mega bucks from a fee and wages perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Will we try start an Alonso to United rumour on Twitter and see if a newspaper bites :p

bangkok wrote: »

Vidal isn’t happening. Move on. Strootman will be our new tease from now until January.

Nani will be converted into an attacking mid-fielder to compliment Herrara and Fletcher, Fellani, Carrick and Cleverly will provide defensive mid field options.

No need for fancy dan south americans when you have Fletcher, Fellani and Cleverly

Now lets move on :D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Vlaar is a no brainer for me he is by no means top class but he ticks a few boxes.

Premiership experience, experience with the system and would cost peanuts.

When you compare him to Vermalen he is a no brainer alright plus it fits nicely with waiting on Hummels next Summer.
    Still feels a bit of a let down though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'd take Vlaar and Vermaelen

I would as well. People are way too picky for a first team in such a state. Baby steps. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

is Valera just not good enough?
    and why didn't Powell make the tour?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Antibac wrote: »
    It's not released until the end of September

Crap.

You got a link for that?

That would explain why I have only seen it on the Utd store online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Trilla wrote: »
    is Valera just not good enough?
    and why didn't Powell make the tour?

I think Powell was still carrying an injury.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that post now sums up our summer to be honest! i know where you are coming from (beggers cant be choosers) but it really shouldnt have come to this.

surely Woodward and LVG will want 2 world class players in instead of taking second best - Woodwards reputation will be in tatters once and for all if he doesnt deliver after all his talk a few weeks back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Apologies if article posted already, most of the Rodgers quotes in this

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/05/liverpool-brendan-rodgers-louis-van-gaal

Brendan likes to talk

This wasn't even mentioned on the Liverpool thread.

Actual quotes from him:
    “I think what he’ll find is the competition in this league will be different from any other league that he’s worked in,” said Rodgers, who led his side to within touching distance of their first title since 1990 last season. “In a lot of the other leagues there are one or two teams and those are the teams that are expected to win.

“This is a league where the top team plays the bottom team and on any given day you can lose. You don’t get that a lot in the other leagues. I think the competition will probably take him by surprise and that’s from foreign managers I have spoken to over the years.
    “I’ve worked closely with foreign players who have come in and that real physical competitive nature will be different from anywhere else he’s worked before.”

“I think it’s going to be really as competitive,” he said. “Last season was great and right the way through there were four or five teams right up there, and then in the closing months it narrowed down a wee bit. The Premier League historically shows that it’s a very competitive league. Man United will want to bounce back, Chelsea will be strong, Manchester City are the champions so they’ll be the favourites.

“The likes of Tottenham have been up there the last couple of seasons. When Harry Redknapp was there they were a Champions League team. So the numbers are there to make it really competitive again and difficult to forecast.”

Van Gaal will see how Liverpool rose last season from outsiders for the title to serious challengers and there will be no distractions for United after they failed to qualify for Europe. Rodgers does not believe there are parallels between what he inherited at Anfield in June 2012 and the situation at Old Trafford.
    “I think for them it will be a totally different mind-set,” said the Liverpool manager, who hopes this week to conclude a new, extended deal for the Brazilian playmaker Philippe Coutinho and has sold the goalkeeper Pepe Reina to Bayern Munich, believed to be for an initial £2.5m, subject to a medical.
    “Domestically for the last 20 years they’ve been champions 13 times. So they have already been in place. When I came to Liverpool we were eighth at the time and the club was nearly going out of business, so it’s totally different. The players there will want to do better for themselves. They will be disappointed with where they finished last year, of course. With the quality they have, they will want to push on.

“We’re still a work in progress really. We made great strides last year and the expectancy for us is to improve again. Our task is to make sure we’re in the Champions League again next year. Our first target is fourth and then we’ll look to push on from there.”

Rodgers also urged Van Gaal to be wary of Manchester United’s owners, the Glazer family, considering how little time they had for his the Dutchman’s predecessor, David Moyes. He believes the controversial Americans let down the Scotsman Moyes by reneging on their original long-term plan of stability at Old Trafford.

“I think there were a lot of things at Manchester United that were not seen by many. He had to go in and where I felt for him is that he thought he was getting time All of a sudden when it’s not as hunky-dory as people think it is, you don’t get that opportunity. He signed a long-term deal and thought he had that longevity to do his work.”

Not seeing a hell of a lot wrong there tbh, journos asked jim questions, he gave answers, nothing particularly controversial and in particular, probably an opinion shared by a good few on this very thread.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

MagicIRL wrote: »
    I would as well. People are way too picky for a first team in such a state. Baby steps. :cool:
    that post now sums up our summer to be honest! i know where you are coming from (beggers cant be choosers) but it really shouldnt have come to this.

surely Woodward and LVG will want 2 world class players in instead of taking second best - Woodwards reputation will be in tatters once and for all if he doesnt deliver after all his talk a few weeks back.

If Jones and Smalling are going to be cast aside for someone id prefer a top player not Vermaelen who lets face it is ****e and injury prone. I wouldn't mind Vlaar.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Howard Webb has retired.

Now who will people blame when United get dodgy decisions :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Howard Webb has retired.

Seems awfully young for retiring, bit weird that one!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

When you think about how much Aston Villa would want for Ron Vlaar, as their club captain and with Lambert adamantly saying he is going nowhere, it really isn't a viable option.

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    When you think about how much Aston Villa would want for Ron Vlaar, as their club captain and with Lambert adamantly saying he is going nowhere, it really isn't a viable option.

10m and sign him up.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

K-9 wrote: »
    This wasn't even mentioned on the Liverpool thread.

Actual quotes from him:

Not seeing a hell of a lot wrong there tbh, journos asked jim questions, he gave answers, nothing particularly controversial and in particular, probably an opinion shared by a good few on this very thread.

Most of the quotes are alright, but under Moyes, the style of football was horrible, it was not good to watch.
    I wanted him to be successful, but LVG has shown far more authority in a few weeks than what we saw the whole of last season/preseason.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Howard Webb has retired.

Oh dear, our 12th player is gone :P :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Leftist

Alex Shaw @AlexShawESPN
    Follow
    Quiz question.

Who should be giving advice about the rigours of club management, the left or right?

BuTptDLIUAA9FyH.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement