Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

tumblr-m3kzthedut1rr6v0ao1-400.gif

A moment of silence please, Webb a great servant to the club down the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

tumblr-m3kzthedut1rr6v0ao1-400.gif

this thing about Howard Webb is complete bulls*it and something that Liverpool fands obsessed with for many years.

he did us more harm than good, for every incorrect decision he gave for us, there were many that he didnt give us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

this thing about Howard Webb is complete bulls*it and something that Liverpool fands obsessed with for many years.

he did us more harm than good, for every incorrect decision he gave for us, there were many that he didnt give us.

tumblr_mejnpu26Rm1rqfhi2o1_500.gif

Didn't think he'd be the first to get the chop this week, LVG obviously has no plans for him within the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

that post now sums up our summer to be honest! i know where you are coming from (beggers cant be choosers) but it really shouldnt have come to this.

surely Woodward and LVG will want 2 world class players in instead of taking second best - Woodwards reputation will be in tatters once and for all if he doesnt deliver after all his talk a few weeks back.

Barcelona's defensive situation is almost the same as our midfield one, and they can't even sign world class CBs.

Looking to sign Agger and Vermaelen and pay a crazy sum for a young kid Marquinhos, also signing an ageing CB from their own league which surprised a lot of people

Hummels is not going to happen this summer, so we're going to have to look at realistic options

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

We all know that but it's better just to play along :)
    He was a referee that bottled big decisions all the time, he got the recognition in England because of a couple of incidents where he threw his weight around to diffuse situations. As far as decision making went he was awful.

any hope of Martin Atkinson retiring? he has f*cked us over more than any one individual in the past 5 or 6 years.

Get your man in who "reffed" the game v Liverpool. More ghost goals I say!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Agent Webb, return to base.

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Seems awfully young for retiring, bit weird that one!

With United finishing 7th last year, he was probably given marching orders since he had failed to rig enough games in United's favour. :pac:

• Advertisement

With United finishing 7th last year, he was probably given marching orders since he had failed to rig enough games in United's favour. :pac:

I feel bad that we couldn't have given him a better end to his career, maybe he should have went with Fergie and Gill last year.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sky Sports News "understand" we're to match Barca's 10m bid for Vermalean.

Lord TSC wrote: »

MagicIRL understands that SSN want more viewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

that post now sums up our summer to be honest! i know where you are coming from (beggers cant be choosers) but it really shouldnt have come to this.

surely Woodward and LVG will want 2 world class players in instead of taking second best - Woodwards reputation will be in tatters once and for all if he doesnt deliver after all his talk a few weeks back.

I think post sums up this board sometimes. :rolleyes:

We were never going to be able to go out and sign 2 world class centre backs in one transfer window. Just doesn’t happen unless you are Real Madrid. One plus another top PL CB would have done it but even then we were up against most top teams in Europe looking for new or improved CBs.

Shaw and Herrara were (hopefully) great signings. They need to be added to be recruiting 2 more PL standard CBs and a bob to box midfielder. If one of these 3 is world class we’ll have really well.

If we could repair the team this year, finish in the top 4 and show we’re going places then next summer add another couple of world class pedigree players we’d be back challenging for the title this time next year.

Its not Championship Manager Woodward is playing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Club seem determined to buy an injury prone player who isn't good enough for Arsenal. Just plain stupid.

If Van Gaal is desperate for a left footed centre back, why not go after Vertonghen? Younger, better, not injury prone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    MagicIRL understands that SSN want more viewers.

Ah heor, one minute people are saying they will only believe what they read on SNN and BBC

At this point I'd say lads will need a personal phonecall from Ed before anyone believes anything going on.

It's long being established that SNN and BBC very rarely take big risks on stuff, because they have a reputation to keep. They don't want to be seen to be dirty gossip mungers, cause people will ignore them. Sky put a lot of resources into securing exclusives and accurate information.

If Sky are saying it, it's most likely true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭KingJamsie

J. Marston wrote: »
    Club seem determined to buy an injury prone player who isn't good enough for Arsenal. Just plain stupid.

If Van Gaal is desperate for a left footed centre back, why not go after Vertonghen? Younger, better, not injury prone.

Just signed a new contract.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Ah heor, one minute people are saying they will only believe what they read on SNN and BBC

At this point I'd say lads will need a personal phonecall from Ed before anyone believes anything going on.

It's long being established that SNN and BBC very rarely take big risks on stuff, because they have a reputation to keep. They don't want to be seen to be dirty gossip mungers, cause people will ignore them. Sky put a lot of resources into securing exclusives and accurate information.

I've always found the "understands" angle from SSN to be them fishing for stories.

If we do sign him I'll hold my hand up, but right now, it reads to me that they're out of the loop like everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Howard Webb: "Your job now is to stand by Phil Dowd"

• Advertisement

Wouldn’t get too worried – the key is in “match Barca’s offer” – there is no way Vermaelen would choose United over Barcelona if he has the choice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

SSN are a long way away from BBC tbf in terms of reliability.

Sure they still report stories that are blatantly just to promote SkyBet ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Coat22 wrote: »
    Sensible?

"Van Gaal has to ask himself whether this transfer is a risk worth taking.

Especially when Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverley have both been impressive over the course of the Reds' tour of the United States."

I'd call it laughable. He's basically saying it's not worth the risk of getting a world class operator in because he mightn't adjust to the league and besides all that it looks as if Fletch and Cleverly can do a job for us. The midfield needs fixing and his solution seems to be to ignore it.

Pighead wrote: »
    Sensible?

Especially when Darren Fletcher and Tom Cleverley have both been impressive over the course of the Reds' tour of the United States."

I'd call it laughable. He's basically saying it's not worth the risk of getting a world class operator in because he mightn't adjust to the league and besides all that it looks as if Fletch and Cleverly can do a job for us. The midfield needs fixing and his solution seems to be to ignore it.

"That is not to say that they are long-term solutions to the midfield issue, but rather suggests that they could at least keep things ticking over.
    Bedding in Ander Herrera and helping the current crop to adapt to the new systems their manager will employ must be the priority for now.
    That and signing a centre-back, of course."

Pighead wrote: »
    Sensible?

Vidal is arguably at the point of his career where he must seek his last big-money deal, while Juve know that he will never be worth more than he is now.
    Will he truly be hungry to improve at Old Trafford, as the likes of Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera clearly are?
    It is hard not to think that Kevin Strootman fits the bill better in this regard.
    The Roma midfielder's best years are way ahead of him, and he has a greater chance of adapting and provides greater value than Vidal for that reason.
    Of course the long-term knee injury that forced him out of the World Cup will keep him out until January, but now is not the time for United to panic

I think post sums up this board sometimes. :rolleyes:

We were never going to be able to go out and sign 2 world class centre backs in one transfer window. Just doesn’t happen unless you are Real Madrid. One plus another top PL CB would have done it but even then we were up against most top teams in Europe looking for new or improved CBs.

Shaw and Herrara were (hopefully) great signings. They need to be added to be recruiting 2 more PL standard CBs and a bob to box midfielder. If one of these 3 is world class we’ll have really well.

If we could repair the team this year, finish in the top 4 and show we’re going places then next summer add another couple of world class pedigree players we’d be back challenging for the title this time next year.

Its not Championship Manager Woodward is playing.

dont recall anybody saying they wanted 2 world class center backs so your post is completely wide of the mark, looks like you just wanted a reason to have a go without having anything to have a go over.

just incase youve difficulty comprehending what or anybody said in relation to signings, the general consensus is that we need two world class players - one CB and one CM and then there is a need perhaps for a versatile defender who can cover a bit better than Jones or Smalling.

its not football manager stuff as you suggest that a club of our size, power and history gets in two world class players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

"That is not to say that they are long-term solutions to the midfield issue, but rather suggests that they could at least keep things ticking over.
    Bedding in Ander Herrera and helping the current crop to adapt to the new systems their manager will employ must be the priority for now.
    That and signing a centre-back, of course."
    Obviously nobody wants to see the club panic buy but the article seems to be stating that Vidal is not a risk worth taking. What's the point in waiting around for Strootman in January when he also has a dodgy knee and also needs to bed into a new league? Utd don't need players to keep us ticking over. They need players to come in and be world class at their job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I just want a decent CB and CM.

Vidal would be sweet, but a potential young kid with plenty of talent would do.

I don't think we re asking a lot if honest.

We have been crying out for this now for 3 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Wouldn’t get too worried – the key is in “match Barca’s offer” – there is no way Vermaelen would choose United over Barcelona if he has the choice

http://images.dailystar-uk.co.uk/dynamic/58/photos/883000/126883.jpg

wouldn't be so sure over that..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

KingJamsie wrote: »
    Just signed a new contract.

Also...Daniel Levy.

Would probably be after 30m for him....

bangkok wrote: »

Yeah – seen that weeks ago but Barcelona have now made an offer.

Maybe its just me but “Live in Manchester, get to play domestic game only with remote chance of silverware this season but at least its with a mate” OR “Live in Barcelona, play champions league football with Messi, Neymar, Suarez and have a real chance of actually winning it and the domestic league” – I know which I’d choose so unless the money on offer at United is vastly superior (possible) I can’t see it happening

Yeah – seen that weeks ago but Barcelona have now made an offer.

Maybe its just me but “Live in Manchester, get to play domestic game only with remote chance of silverware this season but at least its with a mate” OR “Live in Barcelona, play champions league football with Messi, Neymar, Suarez and have a real chance of actually winning it and the domestic league” – I know which I’d choose so unless the money on offer at United is vastly superior (possible) I can’t see it happening

or you could put it, go to United the most famous club in the world, become a regular player under a manager that likes me, play with my best friend, my wife is happy and so are the children as we all live close by and they can go to school together, earn 70-90k a week in a country we know with a chance to win the league or go to Barcelona, no friends, children not happy, not much game time sitting on the bench..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

MagicIRL wrote: »
    10m and sign him up.

Villa would tell us to **** off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Villa would tell us to **** off.

Isn't Vlaar into his final year of his contract at Villa? Would they really let him run it down and leave on a free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Paul Lambert was asked these exact questions and said that a season of Ron Vlaar is worth more because they can't get a replacement near his level. They would make is very difficult for us to sign him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

I just want a decent CB and CM.

Vidal would be sweet, but a potential young kid with plenty of talent would do.

I don't think we re asking a lot if honest.

We have been crying out for this now for 3 years.

I really want William Carvalho. If we could get him for £30 million, we should, but it looks like we'll have to match the buy-out clause of £37 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

In fairness, if a player REALLY wanted to join us, they would be making public noises, forcing the hand of their club.

Players that don't do this, are clearly playing both sides. Get a move where there is a few million signing on fee, and a bump in salary, or stay at the club where you get a bump in salary, and a couple million loyalty bonus/re-signing bonus.

It's clear cut to see the cases of this in recent transfer windows, and Vidal looks exactly like this. If he wants to leave Juventus and join us, it takes one well placed comment to the media to make it happen, or to turn the pressure on Juventus.

Equally if we are getting sick and tired of the rubbish, one well placed public comment from us will squash a players crafty plans, and either force them to make public comments should they really want to come, or their little scheme to get a couple million goes down the swanny.

I never understand why it doesn't happen more often to be fair. When you see a player clearly playing both sides looking to land a financial boost either way, just make the comment that your not interested.

Vidal has looked fairly obvious to me in terms of him trying to land a new bump in salary at Juventus, or if he moves to United, he gets his bump anyway.

Something must be going on in terms of the deal, because it's the only reason I can think off why Woodward or someone hasn't publicly stated a disinterest. To avoid another Fabregas fiasco.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Macca07 wrote: »
    I really want William Carvalho. If we could get him for £30 million, we should, but it looks like we'll have to match the buy-out clause of £37 million.

Sporting have conceded they aren't going to get the full release clause and are willing to listen to offers apparently (Sport Witness had an article a week or two back)

In fairness, if a player REALLY wanted to join us, they would be making public noises, forcing the hand of their club.

Players that don't do this, are clearly playing both sides. Get a move where there is a few million signing on fee, and a bump in salary, or stay at the club where you get a bump in salary, and a couple million loyalty bonus/re-signing bonus.

It's clear cut to see the cases of this in recent transfer windows, and Vidal looks exactly like this. If he wants to leave Juventus and join us, it takes one well placed comment to the media to make it happen, or to turn the pressure on Juventus.

Equally if we are getting sick and tired of the rubbish, one well placed public comment from us will squash a players crafty plans, and either force them to make public comments should they really want to come, or their little scheme to get a couple million goes down the swanny.

I never understand why it doesn't happen more often to be fair. When you see a player clearly playing both sides looking to land a financial boost either way, just make the comment that your not interested.

Vidal has looked fairly obvious to me in terms of him trying to land a new bump in salary at Juventus, or if he moves to United, he gets his bump anyway.

Something must be going on in terms of the deal, because it's the only reason I can think off why Woodward or someone hasn't publicly stated a disinterest. To avoid another Fabregas fiasco.

yea he should just come out and say Juventus never wished him a happy birthday :)

So Phil Neville has earned a spot on MOTD from next season. His analysis is pretty good. it should help to ease up the heavy anti-United bias on the program.

Link

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

noodler wrote: »
    Crap.

You got a link for that?

That would explain why I have only seen it on the Utd store online.

Can't as an on mobile but if you click on it on the online store it says something like available 25 sept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

It was sensible until they said cleverley has been impressive hes been anything
    But impressive.

There's a few people saying we've had a bid for Cork City player Brian Lenihan rejected.

Is he any good? presumably he's very young.

There's a few people saying we've had a bid for Cork City player Brian Lenihan rejected.

few clubs looking at him alright, but cork city don't reject bids from Man Utd!!!

he will prob end up in the championship or maybe get a few reserve games at a premier league club, plays in midfield

"Undoubtedly one of the hottest prospects in League of Ireland football, City managed to tie down Brian in July 2012, from Munster Senior League side College Corinthians.
    He played with his local club all the way up, and has performed at international schoolboy level as well as recently turning out for the Republic of Ireland U19 side.
    Lenihan has shown himself to be an intelligent, skilled and versatile player, who can operate in defence as well as his preferred central midfield role."

He's only 20 bless - thought Arsenal were favourites to get him

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Let;s have a look at both starting line ups.

Holland starting XI: Cillessen, Kuyt, Blind, Vlaar, De Vrij, Martins Indi, De Jong, Wijnaldum, Sneijder, Robben, Van Persie

Argentina starting XI: Romero, Zabaleta, Demichelis, Garay, Rojo, Enzo Pérez, Biglia, Mascherano, Lavezzi, Messi, Higuaín

Now tell me how many players you would have known about from the dutch team before the world cup as top class players. At this stage Robben and a half fit Van Persie.

Let's look at the Argentina team. Zabaleta, Mascherano, Messi and Higuain all world class or very close to it. Demichelis, Garay and Lavezzi all very well known as top class players.

To say that Argentina had not got better quality is wrong it's not even up for discussion, Argentina have far more quality. Also how can you dismiss their only world class striker being not fit. Of course that's going to make a huge difference to scoring goals.

They scored 15 goals in 7 games in the world cup so 1 in 2 goal ratio. In qualifying they scored 34 in 10 games just over 3 goals a game. I am not exactly seeing your proof for this lack of goals.

The fact is against teams of equal of worse quality they win and score heavily. Against teams with better quality they can set up to frustrate and get a result against. That is perfect for United this season to get back in the top 4.

I'm not dismissing the fact that RVP wasn't fit. You disagreed with the fact that Holland played defensively and had trouble scoring at the WC. The fact RVP wasn't fit doesn't make either of those statements untrue.

If RVP lacking fitness was causing them problems up front then maybe they should have given him more support and not played three CBs and a DCM. What Liam said about Wijnaldum being left isolated in the middle of the park was spot on.

With regards to the quality available to both sides, looking at the starting line ups doesn't prove anything since the argument is that the DCM in there for the Dutch was a spare wheel. I've also got no interest in who was or was not known before the World Cup, that's no proof of quality.

For me, Holland had a better central defence, because Demichelis is a liability. They had better creative or box-to-box central midfielders to choose from. Argentina had the better DCM, but the Dutch shouldn't have been playing one of those anyway. On the wing, once Di Maria was out, they were equal at worst. At CF, RVP wasn't fit, but Huntelaar is just as good as Higuain. The only position where Argentina had a clear advantage was at number 10, but even then they never made the best use of Messi all tournament.

So I don't agree that Argentina had better quality. But if you don't agree with me on that, it still doesn't change the fact that it's true that Holland played defensively and struggled for goals. And there were two teams of equal or worse quality who they didn't score heavily against: Mexico and Costa Rica.

What happened in the qualifying isn't relevant because Strootman was fit for most of that campaign and LVG didn't rely on de Jong nearly as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

"Undoubtedly one of the hottest prospects in League of Ireland football, City managed to tie down Brian in July 2012, from Munster Senior League side College Corinthians.
    He played with his local club all the way up, and has performed at international schoolboy level as well as recently turning out for the Republic of Ireland U19 side.
    Lenihan has shown himself to be an intelligent, skilled and versatile player, who can operate in defence as well as his preferred central midfield role."

He's only 20 bless - thought Arsenal were favourites to get him

He's only just 20, and has had a very good season so far for Cork City. Don't know if he would ever be good enough to make it in the PL, but fair play to him for getting noticed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

I'm really not a fan of Ron Vlaar. Decent for Villa and functional for the Netherlands but there's a reason why he is playing for PL relegation candidates at 29. This is his peak.

I thought he was outstanding for the Dutch in the world cup, especially in the latter stages. I would be more than happy to see him at United if he can reproduce that form for us under the same manager in the same system.
    Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    When you think about how much Aston Villa would want for Ron Vlaar, as their club captain and with Lambert adamantly saying he is going nowhere, it really isn't a viable option.

He's in the final year of his contract. He is the club captain. He could make things difficult in and around the dressing room. I doubt Lambert or Keane want a player who is no longer committed to the cause. I have no doubts that if United did come calling for him, there would only be one outcome........ Ed Woodward signing a new sponsor and Vlaar going elsewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

bangkok wrote: »
    few clubs looking at him alright, but cork city don't reject bids from Man Utd!!!

he will prob end up in the championship or maybe get a few reserve games at a premier league club, plays in midfield
    :confused:
    They do if Man Utd's bid is not high enough! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

The money United spent installing cameras at Carrington last month is probably more money than Cork City have ever seen. I doubt if the bid being too low would be a stumbling block.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement