Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭hjkl

The money United spent installing cameras at Carrington last month is probably more money than Cork City have ever seen. I doubt if the bid being too low would be a stumbling block.
    If United opened at 50k thinking they could commit the same sort of robbery that Everton did to Sligo for Seamus Coleman in 2009, then they would have been told where to go by Cork City, and rightly so!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

The money United spent installing cameras at Carrington last month is probably more money than Cork City have ever seen. I doubt if the bid being too low would be a stumbling block.

Perhaps there is more than one club interested in the player or Cork are hoping to generate more and so get a better transfer fee.

Phil Neville confirmed on Twitter he's no longer part of the coaching staff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

good, I cant ever imagine what phil would bring to the party

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Cleverley seriously needs to stfu right now. It was understandable that he wanted to reply to the the idiots who were slating him last season. But right now he and every other CM, except for Hererra, are playing for their careers at the club. LVG might give him a chance to prove himself, or he might see him as surplus to requirements. To come out at this moment and talk about how he thinks he doesn't need to do much adapting is a terrible idea. Really, giving an interview at all, where he can make mistakes and end up saying dumb shít, was a huge mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Good. Had no place coaching United really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Good. Had no place coaching United really.

Why do people give Phil a rough time?

Has a pretty impressive haul of medals, and had to be told to leave the club for the good of his own career. He played anywhere the manager told him, and had a great understanding of the club, and more so what you needed to do to be successful there.

You'd need to be an egotistical filled moron to ignore stuff from Phil Neville.

Six league titles, three FA cups and a Champions league.

Just goes to show modern footballers and their egos and sense of entitlement, considering the vast majority will go through their careers and not get near that haul.

Too many assumptions made about what Phil Neville did behind the scenes. Granted I've no idea, but no one has any idea, because it was conversations simply no one was privy too. And I wouldn't look on his departure as anything more then too many people trying to be fit into too few positions. Best of luck to him in MOTD, his commentary got slated, but his game analysis was really interesting during the world cup.

People make too many lazy assumptions based on a character of person or player they were. SOOO many people saying Scholes is a MUST have and keeper. For all anyone knows Scholes is rubbish when it comes to coaching, and can't convey a point.

Golf is a good example I use for this. I've met some fantastic golfers in their own right, who are absolutely BRUTAL coaches and really get neutral to negative feedback from people who get lessons from thhem, yet when you watch them play you'd think it would be a blessing getting a lesson from them.

Some of the best golf lessons I've ever got are from guys who arn't great golfers in their own right, but just understand the game, and more importantly how to impart knowledge simply, so that it's understood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

frimpong wrote: »
    If United opened at 50k thinking they could commit the same sort of robbery that Everton did to Sligo for Seamus Coleman in 2009, then they would have been told where to go by Cork City, and rightly so!
    greendom wrote: »
    Perhaps there is more than one club interested in the player or Cork are hoping to generate more and so get a better transfer fee.

Sorry lads, in case that came across the wrong way, it wasn't a stab at Cork or the LOI. I was more saying that if there was any truth in United being after him, I would expect the fee involved to be substantial from Cork's perspective, rather than a low ball offer like €50k.

Or, to put it another way, I can't imagine there being a 20 year old that United would bother with that they only deemed to be worth €50k.

Pro. F wrote: »
    Cleverley seriously needs to stfu right now. It was understandable that he wanted to reply to the the idiots who were slating him last season. But right now he and every other CM, except for Hererra, are playing for their careers at the club. LVG might give him a chance to prove himself, or he might see him as surplus to requirements. To come out at this moment and talk about how he thinks he doesn't need to do much adapting is a terrible idea. Really, giving an interview at all, where he can make mistakes and end up saying dumb shít, was a huge mistake.

That boy has a lot to learn about speaking publicly. Seems to throw petrol to the flame every time he speaks.

He's actually been pretty pathetic again this
    pre-season, I'm not sure what games people were watching saying he was really impressive with Fletcher.

He's really in last chance saloon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,597 ✭✭✭weisses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

weisses wrote: »

Goal understands.

Goal understands.

Goal understands.

Goal understands.

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Goal understands.

Goal understands.

Goal understands.

Goal understands.

But do you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

TheDoc wrote: »
    That boy has a lot to learn about speaking publicly. Seems to throw petrol to the flame every time he speaks.

pre-season, I'm not sure what games people were watching saying he was really impressive with Fletcher.

I wouldn't say he has been particularly pathetic or really impressive on the tour. He's had some poor play, just like Fletcher and to a far lesser extent Hererra, and he's had some good play. Nothing to get worked up about either way for pre-season games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

Coat22 wrote: »
    Would do for now

Would be a good option until Strootman(if we are in for him)is fit and then a good squad option for the next few years

• Advertisement

Do you yearn for transfer news even when there's nothing happening?
    Are you worried about the season ahead for your team?
    Goal is here for you. Goal understands.

Article from June

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-de-jong-would-perfect-7308162

Can fully understand LvG wants a player like de Jong when you look at how United played the last couple of matches

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Wow long day, had a glance and doesn't seem I missed much today, just more transfer speculation.

Hopefully we hear what the plan is before the end of the week, in terms to which players are leaving. Surely he will bring in another CB and I imagine it might depend on who goes to what other position he will bring someone in to.

Also Phil Neville joining MoTD. Does this mean he won't be involved with United at all next season? Remember VG said he would find a place for him and Scholes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Wow long day, had a glance and doesn't seem I missed much today, just more transfer speculation.

Hopefully we hear what the plan is before the end of the week, in terms to which players are leaving. Surely he will bring in another CB and I imagine it might depend on who goes to what other position he will bring someone in to.

Also Phil Neville joining MoTD. Does this mean he won't be involved with United at all next season? Remember VG said he would find a place for him and Scholes?

He already confirmed today on twitter that he is no longer involved

weisses wrote: »
    Article from June

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/nigel-de-jong-would-perfect-7308162

Can fully understand LvG wants a player like de Jong when you look at how United played the last couple of matches

The lack of protection for the three centre-backs is a big problem at the moment all right. I would much rather the coaching staff fixed the team shape for when they're defending rather than resort to playing a DCM.

At the moment it is far too common a sight to see all five defenders sitting back in a line when defending and the two CMs being swamped and dragged around the place. Players from the back 5 are supposed to be stepping up to fill the gaps in midfield, but there is an awful lot of hesitancy in the defending at the moment.

It could just be down to it still being a new system and the defence not being settled yet. Hopefully that's what it is. If LVG buys a DCM but keeps the back line defending the same way then I wouldn't be filled with confidence.

• Advertisement

The lack of protection for the three centre-backs is a big problem at the moment all right. I would much rather the coaching staff fixed the team shape for when they're defending rather than resort to playing a DCM.

At the moment it is far too common a sight to see all five defenders sitting back in a line when defending and the two CMs being swamped and dragged around the place. Players from the back 5 are supposed to be stepping up to fill the gaps in midfield, but there is an awful lot of hesitancy in the defending at the moment.

It could just be down to it still being a new system and the defence not being settled yet. Hopefully that's what it is. If LVG buys a DCM but keeps the back line defending the same way then I wouldn't be filled with confidence.

Can only imagine that is the case. I can't see us letting the midfield get constantly over run, and just sitting on the 18 yard line hopnig for the best with a bank of five.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Tippex wrote: »
    He already confirmed today on twitter that he is no longer involved

Just saw there! I think no one at this stage was wondering if he was going to be involved in coaching the team but from what VG said it sounded like he would have some role with the club.

Like a media role or with the youths. Who knows maybe he was even offered something but decided to turn it down and take the MoTD gig.

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Just saw there! I think no one at this stage was wondering if he was going to be involved in coaching the team but from what VG said it sounded like he would have some role with the club.

Like a media role or with the youths. Who knows maybe he was even offered something but decided to turn it down and take the MoTD gig.

Probably store manager of the superstore. Sure what does six league titles mean anyway ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

That and, even if you did completely believe it, saying stuff that amounts to "Sure I don't need to change, its everyone else who does" isn't exactly indicative of the best attitude or mentality and I doubt anyone is viewing it as positive as it mustve sounded in Tom's mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

SOOO many people saying Scholes is a MUST have and keeper. For all anyone knows Scholes is rubbish when it comes to coaching, and can't convey a point.

I completely agree with your post. On the small part I've quoted above, I think it's because every time Scholes has sat down and talked, be it on TV, in an interview or on that blog, he has been insightful, honest and absolutely spot on. His knowledge of the game is second to none.

One thing that sticks out in my mind, before the City game last season, when he seen the team lineup, he seemed like he was an upset fan about how things were going. It was nice to see how much he cared and how he hated seeing players out of their best positions.

"I look at the lineup, with Mata and Welbeck out wide and I think 'blunt'"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I wouldn't say he has been particularly pathetic or really impressive on the tour. He's had some poor play, just like Fletcher and to a far lesser extent Hererra, and he's had some good play. Nothing to get worked up about either way for pre-season games.

But thats the Tom Cleverley story in a nutshell isn't it.

He had all the chances in the world last season and never particularly impressed, some poor play and some rare good play.

Here we are in pre-season with the new manager, now is the time to make an impression before LVG gets the checkbook out and what do we get from TC? Nothing particularly pathetic, nothing really impressive.

Thats him, thats all we are ever going to get from him, he is bog standard average and never will be anything more.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

Just throwing an idea out there, how would people feel about using a 'Do no link' link for all transfer speculation links?

http://www.donotlink.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

steoin wrote: »
    Just throwing an idea out there, how would people feel about using a 'Do no link' link for all transfer speculation links?

http://www.donotlink.com/

Pour quoi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

@MirrorDarren: Tottenham have had an offer accepted for PSV winger Memphis Depay. Nacer Chadli set to go the other way. More @mirrorfootball

Thought we might have shown some interest on him as he is well regarded. Good move for the player though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

RE: Cleverly.

I get the feeling he is one of those players LVG has said he won't push out the door if they want want to leave, and hat he'll be happy enough. Wing 3rd, 4th or 5th choice.

If I were him, I would be wondering about trying to get a fresh start somewhere though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

dahat wrote: »
    @MirrorDarren: Tottenham have had an offer accepted for PSV winger Memphis Depay. Nacer Chadli set to go the other way. More @mirrorfootball

Thought we might have shown some interest on him as he is well regarded. Good move for the player though.

We could of killed two birds with one stone and got rid of Nani!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Totally off topic lads but I was re-watching Colm Murray's The Inside Track documentary ( http://vimeo.com/65896324 ) last night where he gave an insight into his battle with Motor Neurone Disease, the man knew he was going to die a horrible death but kept battling to the very end to try come up with a cure - absolute legend of a man.

I wonder could we donate the charity money from the United Fantasy Football tournament to The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

What was it that van gaal called De jong during the world cup?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

hogandrew wrote: »
    What was it that van gaal called De jong during the world cup?

Nigel

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭hogandrew

kryogen wrote: »
    Nigel
    Ha ye most likely. Something like his leader of .........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Like Fellaini his stock is pretty low right now, will be hard to shift for decent money imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

dahat wrote: »
    Like Fellaini his stock is pretty low right now, will be hard to shift for decent money imo.

If that £18m from Napoli for Fellaini is on the level, one of the Glazers should drive him to Naples themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

irishfeen wrote: »
    Totally off topic lads but I was re-watching Colm Murray's The Inside Track documentary ( http://vimeo.com/65896324 ) last night where he gave an insight into his battle with Motor Neurone Disease, the man knew he was going to die a horrible death but kept battling to the very end to try come up with a cure - absolute legend of a man.

I wonder could we donate the charity money from the United Fantasy Football tournament to The Irish Motor Neurone Disease Association?

What a brilliant idea. My girlfriend's mum has recently been diagnosed with MND. I can't begin to think of the effect it's going to have on her entire family.

Anything and everything helps the cause.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,607 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sky understands Vermalean wants to stay in England and is his happy to choose us over Bacca.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

What a brilliant idea. My girlfriend's mum has recently been diagnosed with MND. I can't begin to think of the effect it's going to have on her entire family.

Anything and everything helps the cause.
    Absolutely horrible horrible disease - I'm all for giving it to them, we'll see what yermandan who's running it thinks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

kryogen wrote: »
    Nigel

Good to see your back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭tinofapples

PSV wouldn't come anywhere near his wage demands I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sky understands Vermalean wants to stay in England and is his happy to choose us over Bacca.

Its a well known fact that the treatment tables in England are much more cushier than in Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Reports of a 15m bid for Vermaelen, we're nuts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

United want him and Barcelona want him. I guess they see something we don't.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Vermaelan is a good player. Would be a good signing, injury record outside last season doesn't appear that bad.

I would be more worried about his injury record if he didn't play for Arsenal though. Everyone has injury trouble at Arsenal :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Vermaelen would be a totally underwhelming signing.

I suppose Ed got one bit right in his chest thumping proclamations, we are competing with one of the big clubs for a signing. Not really what I had in mind though when I heard it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just noticed that the community shield is on Sunday.

Its here, the new season has arrived, and we will be starting the season with Cleverley and Valencia. :(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

It's fair to say that our summer transfer window has been calamitous (to date).

We have a squad that has a good chance (with Van Gaal at the helm) of finishing top four, but we should forget about the title.

In order for us to compete with City and Chelsea, transformational signings like Vidal and Hummels are required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

It's fair to say that our summer transfer window has been calamitous (to date).

We have a squad that has a good chance (with Van Gaal at the helm) of finishing top four, but we should forget about the title.

In order for us to compete with City and Chelsea, transformational signings like Vidal and Hummels are required.

All but confirmed he's going nowhere on Twitter there yesterday

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement