Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Had an instance two months ago where I needed to have a little procedure done in a hospital in Dublin, and they insisted I fax documents to them. Spent a while running round town looking for somewhere that still had a working fax machine. :rolleyes:

I wonder if you had sent an internet fax would they be able to tell the difference. You should try that next time to see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Fax machines? Is this the 1980s?

Maybe their Amstrad PC1512s have electronic mail function?

Faxing of contracts is still pretty commonplace for legal and security reasons. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Didn't somebody point out that the Agnelli family are large shareholders in that newspaper and Juventus?

I'd have thought that this lends credence to anything Juve related that they report...

If you were more cynical, you MIGHT subscribe to the theory that United have **** all interest in Vidal, and that the Juventus hierarchy are creating a PR spin. AFter losing a largely successful and popular coach, the club are creating fake interest that will amount to nothing, but will be billed as the clubs executives fighting off the wolves at the door. Providing re-assurance to the fans they are a top club, and won't sell their top assets.

In return for Vidal's part in this masquerade, he will receive a bonus.

An interesting one doing the rounds that caught my eye, to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

TheDoc wrote: »
    If you were more cynical, you MIGHT subscribe to the theory that United have **** all interest in Vidal, and that the Juventus hierarchy are creating a PR spin. AFter losing a largely successful and popular coach, the club are creating fake interest that will amount to nothing, but will be billed as the clubs executives fighting off the wolves at the door. Providing re-assurance to the fans they are a top club, and won't sell their top assets.

Nah. The Vidal interest has been around since Moyes turned up at a game last year not just since Conte left. That's the most elaborate conspiracy ever and United would just kill it stone dead if they had absolutely no interest.

The interest is real. Its more likely a PR stunt from United like the apparent Bale bid last year at the last minute when they knew there was no chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Except the interest in Vidal has been around a lot longer than since Conte left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Gentlemen, let us not forget that a certain forum poster will be taking time off if we sign Vidal!

*Hint: It's not me, although my time off will probably be soon going by my recent warnings :pac:

I still feel safe..........

.........for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Love how at the start when Herrera and Shaw were brought in everyone was praising Woodward. Then people starting criticising him heavily.

I still believe Woodward was asked to make enquiries about certain players but VG didn't want anyone signed until he gave the go ahead. Surely with VG back now and the players future being told the signings will come within the next two weeks.

Now hopefully we can bring in a CB, and Midfielder too. It will be interesting to see which players he doesn't see as fitting into his plan too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

well after wengers quotes today I would imagine we will have vermaelan signed up shortly

• Anyone rate Mehdi Benatia??

Just reading article on F365

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Looks like Falcao is on his way back to Madrid - thank f**k for that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Coat22 wrote: »
    Looks like Falcao is on his way back to Madrid - thank f**k for that

benzema just signed a new contract, don't think they will be after falcao now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

bangkok wrote: »

Not according to the Guardian http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/07/liverpool-enquire-radamel-falcao-real-madrid-deal-close

who also insist we are now "favourites" to land Di Maria (can't see the point myself)

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/aug/07/manchester-united-favourites-angel-di-maria-after-psg-end-interest

If the first story is true then they've got to be selling someone so it may give wieght to the second one (unless Ronaldo to Old Trafford is what Woodward is REALLY at!!!) ;);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

bangkok wrote: »

Sold Morata and Jesse has serious injury. They need another striker so that Benzema isnt doing a 50+ campaign with no break. New era of Galacticos in that place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone rate Mehdi Benatia??

Great defender. He's very good on the ball so he'd be perfect for a back three as well. I would say he's almost certainly leaving Roma this summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Anyone rate Mehdi Benatia??

I saw a couple of games he was involved in last year but it's very hard to make a judgement call on a defender without watching them a lot. It's also hard to judge the relative quality of Serie A. Juve walked that league last year. That many points suggests that the league has a real lack of quality throughout as Juve are a good side but not amazing in a European sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

A paper being owned by the same family who own a club wouldn't make it any more reliable. It's just more likely to report what is favourable to the club. In this case they might be trying to drum up interest in Vidal or, as Doc says, make it look like a victory to their fans if they hold onto him.

Pro. F wrote: »
    A paper being owned by the same family who own a club wouldn't make it any more reliable. It's just more likely to report what is favourable to the club. In this case they might be trying to drum up interest in Vidal or, as Doc says, make it look like a victory to their fans if they hold onto him.

I should specify that is not my theory, just something I spotted earlier in the week that caught my eye.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I should specify that is not my theory, just something I spotted earlier in the week that caught my eye.

Liar. You're sitting there in a tinfoil hat thinking the twin towers were rigged with explosives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Backtracking already, eh? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

The star (I know) reporting that Utd want Vidal to do a medical before they discuss a fee with juve and Juve have agreed, player expected in England before end of week.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/393214/EXCLUSIVE-Man-United-want-to-put-Arturo-Vidal-through-a-medical-BEFORE-they-discuss-a-fee

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Liam Brady's words were very apt...I too thought that Scholes was a quiet genius and was keen to hear his views on the game.

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that he's a money hungry sensationalist who should just keep schtum...shame.

There is actually only one footballing "conspiracy" I believe in, that has tremendous roots, that has been TOTALLY blown over and not investigated. Unfortunately it's somewhat co incidental it revolves around a topic the mods specifically asked we avoid speaking on, so I won't divulge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Unfortunately I'm starting to think that he's a money hungry sensationalist who should just keep schtum...shame.

WTF?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

v3ttel wrote: »
    WTF?

The Paddy Power stuff was / is ill judged in my view.

Scholes is one of my favourite players of all time but his behaviour of late has disappointed me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Yeah, lets just disregard those 20 years of staying quiet in the media at United for one summer of giving an opinion a few times to Paddy Power or whoever he blogged for.

"Money hungry sensationalist". Jesus wept.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Liam Brady's words were very apt...I too thought that Scholes was a quiet genius and was keen to hear his views on the game.

Ahhhhhhhhhh jaysus..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Fair play to Paddy Power for whatever they did to get someone as interesting as Scholes to open his mouth IMO.

The idea of not wanting to hear what the likes of Scholes thinks has me between head-scratching and loling-out-loud. Just baffling.

If he had an opinion on Kerry vs Mayo I'd want to hear it, never mind thinking he should keep his opinion about soccer to himself - to have the cheek to even put that statement together is something else.

I've no doubt that Scholes is speaking genuinely when he is overly critical of players and clubs, which can come across as sensationalism. The insatiable hunger for success and non-acceptance of failure that Fergie bred in his players would seem likely to turn them into overly critical pundits.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Am I missing something? What did Scholes say that was bad?

• Pro. F wrote: »
    I've no doubt that Scholes is speaking genuinely when he is overly critical of players and clubs. The insatiable hunger for success and non-acceptance of failure that Fergie bred in his players would seem likely to turn them into overly critical pundits.

There's no beating around the bush with Scholes. It's refreshing. Think mentally what he said about Rooney will only aid to stir him on and better himself. He's had a good pre season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

bullvine wrote: »

That Rooney had his best season a few years back and Kroos is better than Herrera...seems fair enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

There is actually only one footballing "conspiracy" I believe in, that has tremendous roots, that has been TOTALLY blown over and not investigated. Unfortunately it's somewhat co incidental it revolves around a topic the mods specifically asked we avoid speaking on, so I won't divulge.

i hate posts like this i just want to know what it is :pac:

also i still dont think we will sign vidal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

sky88 wrote: »
    i hate posts like this i just want to know what it is :pac:

Scroll back a few pages and then keep your tongue forever still with regard to what you find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Scholes has been spot on with everything he's said, the most controversial thing he has said is that Rooney may have hit his peak a few seasons ago which is true, it remains to be seen if Rooney can hit that level again

If anything it will spur Rooney on and I'm sure Scholes would be delighted with that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Nothing apart from some home truths....

“Wayne wants all the responsibility to score,” he said. “He’ll try to play left-back, right-back. Sometimes he does that too much instead of saving himself and his energy for what his teams need – the ball in the net. He needs to use his energy more effectively now as he’s a player who likes to be up front on his own and I don’t think he’s great with partnerships. To get the very best from Wayne in Rio, the manager [Roy Hodgson] needs to tell him: ‘Don’t bother running back. Stay up top. Stay centre-forward. Score goals. That’s your job in my team.’”
    Scholes went on: “There’s a chance he’s worn out. Wayne’s peak may have been a lot younger than what we’d expect of footballers traditionally. Age 28 or 29 has been the normal ‘peak’. With Wayne, it could have been when he scored 27 league goals in 2011-12 when he was 26.”

Pretty obvious that they are the words of a man, who has Rooney's best interests at heart. And the worst thing they should do is motivate Rooney.
    Full article here.....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/paul-scholes-criticises-manchester-united-wayne-rooney

I'd assume peoples beef with Scholes, is that he aligned himself with Paddy Power, who had an outrageous marketing campaign last year, fully at the clubs expense. I would have assumed someone with such deep ties to the club and respect of the fans, would abstain from associating himself with a company who smuggled in a fan concealing a grim reaper outfit, to act out on in the crowd in screenshot of David Moyes.

It was funny when they did a few jokes, but in reality it's a crude attempt at a company trying to pander to the "football crowd" with jokes that really arn't in anyway appreciated or funny, when they come from the marketing department of a bookmaker.

It's especially annoying in that the headlines and taglines PP share on their social media, are no way reflective of the comments Scholes is making, and is more United low blows and "attacks" in order to generate more publicity for the company.

I'd say that is what peoples problem with it is. And I think it's actually pretty obvious at this stage, when without even reading the context, most peoples assumptions when they see Scholes and Paddy Power in the same sentence, is him lashing the club out of it, when in fact he has been pretty measured and accurate in his commentary.

Those comments from Scholes seem fairly reasonable.
    I'd assume peoples beef with Scholes, is that he aligned himself with Paddy Power, who had an outrageous marketing campaign last year, fully at the clubs expense.

The statue of Moyes is sitting in the lobby of their office in Dublin. I'm sure you know well their marketing is aimed at getting their name out there as much as possible, in good light or bad.

• Advertisement

Nothing apart from some home truths....

Pretty obvious that they are the words of a man, who has Rooney's best interests at heart. And the worst thing they should do is motivate Rooney.
    Full article here.....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/22/paul-scholes-criticises-manchester-united-wayne-rooney

It's worth noting that PP actually linked that article on their twitter with the tagline " Scholes says Rooney past his peak". As did a few other places no doubt, completely missing the point of the articles.

Scholes has explained numerous times the reasons he removed himself from interviews and publicity is the risk that constantly exists of being misquoted. He felt that he should never have to EXPLAIN what he meant by something, in that if his words were published correctly, anyone with football knowledge would understand him and that he felt it was pityful watching people explaining comments they made, that then got twisted out of context.

Ironically in retirement, it now happens with EVERYTHING he says.

I'd say suggesting that Rooney's best years are behind him after that season - where he scored 19 goals and 17 assists for his struggling club and 7 goals in 6 starts for his country - is being overly critical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

SSN are apparently reporting or talking about the La Stampa article on Vidal and Utd are apparently unavailable to comment.....

Something is happening.....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Alistair Fergusson ‏@Fergie1975 20 mins

All this talk of agreed terms for Vidal doesn't mean much. We know that he'd move. However, for whatever reason we haven't bid... whether it's us having reservations about the knee, haggling terms with Juve or just biding our time, a bid hasn't been placed....I believe that Vidal wants move but we haven't bid. Is he actually training yet?

... Probably the most sensible view now of the Vidal situation, could happen but probably a long way off yet.

Those comments from Scholes seem fairly reasonable.

The statue of Moyes is sitting in the lobby of their office in Dublin. I'm sure you know well their marketing is aimed at getting their name out there as much as possible, in good light or bad.

They arn't to "banter filled" when dealing with various issues of them skipping payouts on legitimate bets, and using unethical loopholes and dirty tactics to get themselves out of payouts.

There is a reason a lot of online poker players don't just recommend people avoid them, but actively promote the boycott of their online poker platforms.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

dahat wrote: »
    SSN are apparently reporting or talking about the La Stampa article on Vidal and Utd are apparently unavailable to comment.....

1297473_o.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

dahat wrote: »

You are right. Something is happening. We're signing Vermaelan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

They arn't to "banter filled" when dealing with various issues of them skipping payouts on legitimate bets, and using unethical loopholes and dirty tactics to get themselves out of payouts.

There is a reason a lot of online poker players don't just recommend people avoid them, but actively promote the boycott of their online poker platforms.

Your first line has nothing to do with your second.

The reason poker players recommend against PPP is because it's a skin of iPoker, which is terrible.

I've never had a problem with their bookmakers, and 99.9% of complaints I've heard about them have been angleshots by punters who then complain when they don't get paid. They're about as good as all the rest of the non-Asian bookies, which is to say pretty terrible, but their certainly no more unethical than any of the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Or nobody in the office at Old Trafford can be arsed talking to SSN for the tenth time today..

"Helllooo.. its Jim Whyte from Sky Sports News.."
    "**** off Jim" *slams phone down*
    "Well there you have it.. Clearly goings on and transfers developing quickly at Old trafford and they're unavailable to comment!"

Cue breaking news banner.

I have made maybe one bet with them ever so it's not as if I have a dog in the fight, I'm just saying that's what they do. They saw a chance to get their name out there is all. Don't think it's too much to get upset over.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement