Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Oh, you know, just the usual transfer bull**** going round the superthread as usual. But that's none of my business.

And here was me thinking people had started slagging my friend Bangkok about something
    Don't people know the rules...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭markcahill1985

Do I lose top red points if I dont get up at 4am for the match :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

We're all friends here. :)

Delighted LvG is sticking the boot in regarding the US tour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

brinty wrote: »
    And here was me thinking people had started slagging my friend Bangkok about something
    Don't people know the rules...

When you go to sleep we each take turns beating him with soap in our socks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

We're all friends here. :)

Delighted LvG is sticking the boot in regarding the US tour.

its reasons like this tour that adidas are giving us a 750m deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I just heard Van Gaal on SSN there. I love him. He's such a breath of fresh air.

His line about the pressure was brilliant. I love his confidence. I've no doubt that he's going to be a complete success.

When you go to sleep we each take turns beating him with soap in our socks.

Phew and there was me thinking i'd come across as a bully rather than the voice of reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

I just heard Van Gaal on SSN there. I love him. He's such a breath of fresh air.

His line about the pressure was brilliant. I love his confidence. I've no doubt that he's going to be a complete success.

What did he say?

Oh, you know, just the usual transfer bull**** going round the superthread as usual. But that's none of my business.

The only transfer bull atm is vidal imo.

Edit: from the paper's perspective.

• Advertisement

Phew and there was me thinking i'd come across as a bully rather than the voice of reason

Then we cuddle him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

What did he say?

Basically that he's not worried about the pressure that the media (and others) put on him to succeed because they pressure that he places on himself on a daily basis is much greater.

Then we cuddle him

Thats better Gowl...
    couln't have the poor wee thing feeling left out

Thats better Gowl...
    couln't have the poor wee thing feeling left out

It's also why homer is always so cranky though. A gets no loving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,755 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Basically that he's not worried about the pressure that the media (and others) put on him to succeed because they pressure that he places on himself on a daily basis is much greater.

I cant wait to see him go head to head with Wenger and Jose.... should be fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

Full Van Gaal, Luke Shaw & Ander Herrera press conference

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yp2BAAHcXDE

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

The presser, poor Shaw like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Loving the LvG comments about the tour and that it will be different next year. He is taking over the place :cool:

user2011 wrote: »
    The presser, poor Shaw like a rabbit caught in the headlights.

Loving the LvG comments about the tour and that it will be different next year. He is taking over the place :cool:

Herrera is really awkward cute in that, love him.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

How do people think we will start tonight/this morning?
    Just my thoughts:
    4-3-3 with Mata playing behind Rooney and Welbeck, Zaha on the wings?

De Gea
    Rafael-Jones-Evans-Shaw
    Fletcher-Herrera

Mata
    Zaha
    Welbeck
    Rooney

Then maybe the likes of Cleverly, Smalling and Will Keane coming on between 45-60 mins.

Cant wait for the match

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

There really is that sense that LVG isn't overawed of the job. He has a very definite philosophy, be it good or bad long term, and is going to do what he thinks is best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,040 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Lord TSC wrote: »
    There really is that sense that LVG isn't overawed of the job. He has a very definite philosophy, be it good or bad long term, and is going to do what he thinks is bes.

Money talks though. How much is this tour worth to utd. I don't think he will get his way next season. These tours are compulsory these days for big clubs.

• Advertisement

niallo27 wrote: »
    Money talks though. How much is this tour worth to utd. I don't think he will get his way next season. These tours are compulsory these days for big clubs.

Might do one closer to Europe though or a shorter one. Thing about LvG is he seems to be very self assured in that you don't just tell him it's happening but you'd need to convince him it's needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Just listening to Herrera and Shaw speak at the press conference on Sky and it's clear that they really wanted to come to the club. They'll hopefully both be great additions to the team for the foreseeable future. They may not be "sexy" signings but are very necessary and I'm looking forward to seeing them slot into the side and improve it along with anyone else who may join.

When LVG speaks you listen too. I don't expect us to re-invent the wheel this season but show some real tangible changes and have the season we should have had last year. I think if Moyes had stayed we'd have certainly improved with the players he was targeting but it's great seeing Van Gaal doing his thing and we're only one week into his reign too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Technophobe

I have a feeling that Vidal will be bought and that we are nearly there on that one..Possibly waiting for another signing to be confirmed for a big va va voom double signing announcement media splash whatchamacallit...
    Ed has built it up to that....

In other news, I think if we want de Vrij or Blind, we will get them, and will be surprised if we don't want at least one of them...(want not need :) )

niallo27 wrote: »

I am not saying he will get his own way. Just that after last season, it's nice to have a manager with a backbone and an ideology, and one he speaks strongly on. Such a nice change after Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

if we start the season with the current squad, plus Vermaelen and De Vrij, would people be happy with that and view it as a successful summer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

if we start the season with the current squad, plus Vermaelen and De Vrij, would people be happy with that and view it as a successful summer?

depends on what van gaal wants to do with the midfield tbh id need to see the team play some games before i could give a decent answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

No, I think we need more than Hererra in CM.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

So Van Gaal wont sanction any new signings until he assesses the squad first - well any dog on the street who has watched United in the last 12 months could tell him all he needs to know. Its not rocket science.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

We will get defenders in but Vidal would turn this summer from a good one to a great one. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,777 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

kstand wrote: »
    So Van Gaal wont sanction any new signings until he assesses the squad first - well any dog on the street who has watched United in the last 12 months could tell him all he needs to know. Its not rocket science.

Yeah, what a rube!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

kstand wrote: »

You should tell him that to his face and record his reaction. This isn't fantasy football. He's just gotten a limited squad to 3rd place in the World Cup. He could see a role for Cleverley or Young that none of us would.

Yes, I would be.

Provided, of course, we're talking on a spectrum and not a binary happy/unhappy divide. I wouldn't be at the end of the spectrum in a "Best. Summer. Ever" way, but I'd have my barometer in the "happy" section....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

not really id be happy with all signings except for Vermaelen who i just hope we dont buy. hes very injury prone and i think we need a solid experienced cb someone whos could play every game. I dont think united should buy someone whos not getting into the team with arsenal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,407 ✭✭✭xtal191

No desperately need another midfielder especially with Carricks injury.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Yes, I would be.

Provided, of course, we're talking on a spectrum and not a binary happy/unhappy divide. I wouldn't be at the end of the spectrum in a "Best. Summer. Ever" way, but I'd have my barometer in the "happy" section....

despite the fact that it was a summer that was talked up as being the best in the clubs history?

despite the fact that it was a summer that was talked up as being the best in the clubs history?

He dealt with that exact argument in his post :confused::confused:

He dealt with that exact argument in his post :confused::confused:

errm no he didnt???? theres a difference between what he is talking about and what i am asking him, hence why i asked the question.

not sure why he needs somebody else to answer for him either....

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭steps_3314

Anyone offering odds on united resigning CR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Might do one closer to Europe though or a shorter one. Thing about LvG is he seems to be very self assured in that you don't just tell him it's happening but you'd need to convince him it's needed.

I can't think of any tour close to Europe that would be a moneyspinner like the Asian or American tours. The European countries see enough of United and have their own big clubs, while the surrounding countries don't really have the same money. If United want the merchandising and brand promotion, its Asia or America I'm afraid.

Hell no.

• Advertisement

errm no he didnt???? theres a difference between what he is talking about and what i am asking him, hence why i asked the question.

not sure why he needs somebody else to answer for him either....

Was going to reply, but Donnie was right, it's exactly the point I addressed. I'll expand though. Once.

Would I be happy? Yes.
    Would we have achieved the levels Woodward was promising? No.
    Does this mean that I have to be upset? No.

There's a spectrum, a diverse level of feelings between "Worst Summer Ever" and "Best Summer Ever". Just because Woodward is mouthing off and trying to build expectations doesn't mean that my expectations are at that level. For me, we shifted dead weight and, based on the list you offered, brought it decent replacements.

Could I be happier? Yes. But does that mean I have to classify myself as upset or this summer as a failure? Not at all. You asked "Would you be happy?". Yes, I would be. Not ecstatic. Not Super thrilled. But definitely happy.

You can sub "successful" for "happy" too for most of that. Could we be more successful? Of course. But there's a spectrum between "Utter failure" and "Perfect Transfer Window", and I'd happily class the summer you outlined as "successful", despite also acknowledging there's more we could do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The way Woodward has been talking De Vrij, Vermalean and De Jong would be a major fail on his part promising the world but delivering little improvement.

I'll judge him when the window is closed as should everyone but we should be signing at least one world class player

Ha we need a signing soon, not because the team is in jeopardy but because it will give us something to talk about here. Something positive rather than arguing over little things...

Save us Ed, if not for the team think of the thread! ;)

Looks like training is going well ;)

Fletcher driving, clearly showing VG thinks Flecther can steer the team in the right direction as captain. A sign he will definitely pick fletcher as captain today ;)

article-0-1FE6ED0000000578-528_634x340.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Rooney is looking fit, looks like he's lost some weight from last season

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

G'wan the lads with their seat belts, no setting bad examples!

• Advertisement

Rooney even got to sit in a fire truck! Great day for the team ;)

article-0-1FE6ECCC00000578-173_634x340.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Looks like training is going well ;)

Fletcher driving, clearly showing VG thinks Flecther can steer the team in the right direction as captain. A sign he will definitely pick fletcher as captain today ;)

article-0-1FE6ED0000000578-528_634x340.jpg
    This should go in the full kit **** thread :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Kagawa

No, not happy, we need to strengthen significantly with players like Vidal and Hummels and if that means having to pay the 'no champions league' levy than so be it. Look who Chelsea have signed, and we were behind them considerably last season already.

I can't think of any tour close to Europe that would be a moneyspinner like the Asian or American tours. The European countries see enough of United and have their own big clubs, while the surrounding countries don't really have the same money. If United want the merchandising and brand promotion, its Asia or America I'm afraid.

That's all true, especially since there is more focus on domestic leagues in europe. Somebody mentioned the lack of a international football next season so it mightn't be as big of an issue as the whole squad will be together earlier which should improve things. Since asia was done last season and america this season they could take a year off going to either. They havent been to the US in 2 seasons before this and have asia the 2 before that. Though SE asia and japan wont have been done for 3 years in that case. It's an option though if van gaal gets antsy

Kagawa wrote: »
    No, not happy, we need to strengthen significantly with players like Vidal and Hummels and if that means having to pay the 'no champions league' levy than so be it. Look who Chelsea have signed, and we were behind them considerably last season already.

Hallllo play-a-maker

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement