Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Italian Press have Cuadardo's agents in England to "get the official offer from United".

If things go as well as today's reports are saying, we're looking at...
    De Gea
    Smalling/Jones - Vermalean - Evans
    Cuadardo
    Shaw
    Vidal ----Herrera
    Mata
    Rooney --- RVP

Wasn't sure which of Jones/Smalling to put in, but would imagine that three of the four would interchange and Blackett would be 5th choice. Have to say, would be happy with that first team....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Cuadrado deal has a slight Herrera about it. Could be a good sign it wasn't dragged out all summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

dahat wrote: »
    SSN are apparently reporting or talking about the La Stampa article on Vidal and Utd are apparently unavailable to comment.....

Something is happening.....

Sure Ed's on his holidays and left the phone off the hook.

Nothing is happening.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

As stated previously, Scholes is one of my favourite players of all time.

However, I have an issue with him aligning himself with Paddy Power and (whilst being involved at United), undermining players such as Rooney.

He doesn't need the loot so why bother?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Have to say, would be happy with that first team....

Considering it would mean we'd have spend the most of £150m this summer, you'd want to be happy with it though if we had Vidic in there i think it would be much stronger.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Crimson King

Vidic missed nearly 80 league games in the last 3 seasons. As much of a warrior he was, simply put he could not be relied on. Rio too, for that matter. It's the only reason I was glad they both left, as great as they were they were not the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

Vidic missed nearly 80 league games in the last 3 seasons. As much of a warrior he was, simply put he could not be relied on. Rio too, for that matter. It's the only reason I was glad they both left, as great as they were they were not the future.

Well by all account Vermalen is made of glass, along with Evans, Jones, Smalling and Rafael we could be seeing Carrick and Fletcher in there a bit.

Considering it would mean we'd have spend the most of £150m this summer, you'd want to be happy with it though if we had Vidic in there i think it would be much stronger.

I agree I'd like Vidic there too, but too late for that now. I place the blame for that at the feet of a man we've already rid ourselves of. No point getting hung up on that now I feel....

I agree I'd like Vidic there too, but too late for that now. I place the blame for that at the feet of a man we've already rid ourselves of. No point getting hung up on that now I feel....

You make him sound like Voldermort...the man whose name we dare not speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Manchester Senior Cup team news.

Utd Reserves vs Manchester City: J Pereira; Vermijl, McNair, Thorpe, Varela; Janko, Pearson, Rothwell, Lawrence; A Pereira; Wilson.

Subs: O'Hara, Harrop, Goss, Willock, Evans.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Tbf Moyes did do his best - SAF/the club appointed the man so ultimately the poor results were the clubs fault.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Tbf Moyes did do his best - SAF/the club appointed the man so ultimately the poor results were the clubs fault.

Plenty of blame to go round, but would rather not rehash the discussion again tbh.mbeen done to death.

Onwards and upwards, I say.

Plenty of blame to go round, but would rather not rehash the discussion again tbh.mbeen done to death.

Onwards and upwards, I say.
    Aye but its nice to be fair to the man - he seems like a decent old skin.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Tbf Moyes did do his best

So does a blind three legged puppy trying to lick its nuts. That man had our club on the road to ruin. Thankfully United folk like Ryan Giggs had the guts to instigate a quasi mutiny and have Moyes turfed out. His name should only be whispered - A dark chapter in the history of Manchester United. He needs to be forgotten. In Van Gaal we trust.

So does a blind three legged puppy trying to lick its nuts. That man had our club on the road to ruin. Thankfully United folk like Ryan Giggs had the guts to instigate a quasi mutiny and have Moyes turfed out. His name should only be whispered - A dark chapter in the history of Manchester United. He needs to be forgotten. In Van Gaal we trust.
    FFS "a dark chapter" my hole :rolleyes: - the Munich air disaster was a dark chapter, last year was a minor blip.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

God you talk some amount of shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

As stated previously, Scholes is one of my favourite players of all time.

However, I have an issue with him aligning himself with Paddy Power and (whilst being involved at United), undermining players such as Rooney.

He doesn't need the loot so why bother?

I doubt money has anything to do with it as already mentioned last time this topic came up.

Paddy Power have no agenda to push so Scholes can say whatever he want without interference.

Last season we heard about a pro British agenda in the media which deflected blame from Moyes last season, he excaped criticism for much of the year as the media wanted a brit in the top job.

Scholes also wouldnt be a huge fan of social media so I doubt he played much attention to the carry on Paddy Power got up to.

Finally while it was annoying, PP troll everyone equally and we were an easy target last season. When has the club ever been a punch line in the past 20 odd years ? Never so they got the jokes in while they could, as a whole this thread took the PP "banter" way too so seriously.

Genuine question - Should we "allow" Liverpool to sign someone like Falcao (as they're rumoured to be on the verge of doing)?

Or should we also be in for him?

An incredible player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Genuine question - Should we "allow" Liverpool to sign someone like Falcao (as they're rumoured to be on the verge of doing)?

An incredible player.

He seems to be on the verge of a move to Real Madrid. Liverpool had made an enquiry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

What if come weve only bought vermaelan and liverpool buy falcao this place would be in full meltdown

• Advertisement

An incredible player.

Buying a player purely to stop another team buying him sounds like a step on the road to ruin tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

i dont think i will ever figure out how on earth Moyes got the job, its one of the most baffling and crazy decisions ever in sport when you look at it.

sky88 wrote: »
    What if come weve only bought vermaelan and liverpool buy falcao this place would be in full meltdown

Why, can Falcao fix our CB problems?

Buying a player purely to stop another team buying him sounds like a step on the road to ruin tbh.

Oh agreed.

Would he improve on Rooney or RVP is more the point?

Oh agreed.

Would he improve on Rooney or RVP is more the point?

Not enough to justify spending the insane amount of money he'd surely cost, imo.

i dont think i will ever figure out how on earth Moyes got the job, its one of the most baffling and crazy decisions ever in sport when you look at it.

You run a massive club with star players which has two core aims:

- To win trophies both domestically and in Europe.

- To play attractive and attacking football.

Your manager, the most successful of all time, is stepping down. He won bucketloads of trophies at home and abroad and his teams played swashbuckling football.

You hire consultants to suggest a successor. They arrive into your office and say "yeah, we have the man for the job. He's never won a trophy. He's essentially never managed in the Champions League. His teams play 'pragmatic' rather than attractive football. The last time he managed a 'great' player, they ended up suing each other. Oh and he's never managed a large transfer budget."

Is there any sane individual who wouldn't tell those consultants to get the f..k out of his office? The decision to appoint Moyes was utterly insane. It made zero sense.

Class of 92 squad to play Salford tonight.

UZhcPe3.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

No Becks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It’s not really that baffling, it’s not like he was a bag-packer in Tesco and won the job in a raffle. He took over a Preston side heading for relegation in Division 2 and within 3 years had them narrowly losing out on promotion to the Premiership via the play off. He then moved to regular relegation candidates Everton and despite a relatively small budget established them as a solid upper mid-table team; bringing them to the Champion’s League, Uefa cup and an FA cup final, winning the LMA manager of the year once iirc, along with multiple LMA manager of the month awards. Fergie thought he could he make the step up to the next level, he was wrong. That doesn't make it some crazily ludicrous appointment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

have we got a FF league set up for the thread ?

Anyone got a code for it please. ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

sky88 wrote: »

Liverpool sign Falcao?

No chance in hell of that happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Little Pea wrote: »
    have we got a FF league set up for the thread ?

Anyone got a code for it please. ?

Post #1

ShaneU wrote: »
    No Becks?

Too good looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

dahat wrote: »
    Liverpool sign Falcao?

No chance in hell of that happening.

Maybe it is the futsal Falcao.

It’s not really that baffling, it’s not like he was a bag-packer in Tesco and won the job in a raffle. He took over a Preston side heading for relegation in Division 2 and within 3 years had them narrowly losing out on promotion to the Premiership via the play off. He then moved to regular relegation candidates Everton and despite a relatively small budget established them as a solid upper mid-table team; bringing them to the Champion’s League, Uefa cup and an FA cup final, winning the LMA manager of the year once iirc, along with multiple LMA manager of the month awards. Fergie thought he could he make the step up to the next level, he was wrong. That doesn't make it some crazily ludicrous appointment.

It was a "crazily ludicrous appointment".

Your Tesco bag-packer comparison is more valid than you think. Moyes was like a kid with Willy Wonka's golden ticket. Why not just give the job to Alan Curbishley? He worked wonders with Charlton. Or maybe Tony Pulis?

There was Scottish gombeenery at play here - In relation to a $3b corporation, Billy Ray Valentine was brought in off the proverbial streets and given the keys to the manager's office. It was a laughable decision. Ryan Giggs did us a great service with his coup as did those guys flying the plane. The Chosen One my hole - A disgusting chapter in our history. We'd have been as well giving the job to Gazza with Jimmy Five Bellies as fitness coach and Terry Venables in charge of corporate governance.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

You run a massive club with star players which has two core aims:

- To win trophies both domestically and in Europe.

- To play attractive and attacking football.

Your manager, the most successful of all time, is stepping down. He won bucketloads of trophies at home and abroad and his teams played swashbuckling football.

You hire consultants to suggest a successor. They arrive into your office and say "yeah, we have the man for the job. He's never won a trophy. He's essentially never managed in the Champions League. His teams play 'pragmatic' rather than attractive football. The last time he managed a 'great' player, they ended up suing each other. Oh and he's never managed a large transfer budget."

Is there any sane individual who wouldn't tell those consultants to get the f..k out of his office? The decision to appoint Moyes was utterly insane. It made zero sense.

You run a massive club with star players which has one core aim:

- Put as much money as possible into the parasitic owners' pockets.

Your manager, the most successful of all time, is stepping down. He won bucketloads of trophies at home home and abroad and his teams played swashbuckling football.

You hire consultants to suggest a successor. They arrive into your office and say "yeah, we have the man for the job. He's never won a trophy. He's essentially never managed in the Champions League. His teams play 'pragmatic' rather than attractive football. The last time he managed a 'great' player, they ended up suing each other. Oh and he's never managed a large transfer budget. But he seems to be able to do okay on scant resources, seems capable of signing cheapish players and getting them to do a job for him and he can probably keep the ball rolling for a few more years until your purchase of the club has essentially been paid off by the club itself and you can sell the club for pure profit without having to drag out your plan by investing in the team"

Is there any sane individual who, given what we know the Glazers have done/ are doing with United's money. wouldn't tell those consultants to get the f..k out the champagne bottles? The decision to appoint Moyes was utterly sane. It made perfect sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

People who have watched reserves what's the story with Blackett. He has been probably our best cb on the tour although pre season is not everything. Is he good enough to stay around to be rotated or is he ready to be part of the first team squad yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

It was a "crazily ludicrous appointment".

Your Tesco bag-packer comparison is more valid than you think. Moyes was like a kid with Willy Wonka's golden ticket. Why not just give the job to Alan Curbishley? He worked wonders with Charlton. Or maybe Tony Pulis?

There was Scottish gombeenery at play here - In relation to a $3b corporation, Billy Ray Valentine was brought in off the proverbial streets and given the keys to the manager's office. It was a laughable decision. Ryan Giggs did us a great service with his coup as did those guys flying the plane. The Chosen One my hole - A disgusting chapter in our history. We'd have been as well giving the job to Gazza with Jimmy Five Bellies as fitness coach and Terry Venables in charge of corporate governance.

God you talk some amount of shíte.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

James Wilson.

• Advertisement

Nuts102 wrote: »
    People who have watched reserves what's the story with Blackett. He has been probably our best cb on the tour although pre season is not everything. Is he good enough to stay around to be rotated or is he ready to be part of the first team squad yet?

I was amazed he was taken on tour. Never looked solid at CB or LB. Preseason is the best I've seen him play.

Class of 92 squad to play Salford tonight.

UZhcPe3.jpg

James "Cold Feet" Nesbitt??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

zorro2566 wrote: »
    James "Cold Feet" Nesbitt??

Jack Whitehall? That posho "comedian" - wtf.

Michael Vaughan too, but he's from Eccles, so probably does know the likes of the Nevilles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Jack Whitehall? That posho "comedian" - wtf.

And a big Arsenal fan too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wonderful goal for Wilson tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

To put it into perspective, Neil Lennon was by every criteria more qualified for the job than David Moyes was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Robbie Savage in that team? ****ing hell

Wilson x3.

Kid is class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

lordgoat wrote: »
    I was amazed he was taken on tour. Never looked solid at CB or LB. Preseason is the best I've seen him play.

I was very impressed two or three years ago when he played lb on the tour. Maybe he is a player who rises to the occasion and get's complacent in the reserves.

It would be a big ask to step up to the first team this season but he has looked very confident. His distribution was top class and he done well defensively. Hopefully a late developer but a loan is surely his best option.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement