Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

To put it into perspective, Neil Lennon was by every criteria more qualified for the job than David Moyes was.

How do you work that one out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

lordgoat wrote: »
    Wilson x3.

Kid is class.

What a future he has ahead of him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither Fabregas nor Sneijder were as "done" deals as Vidal appears to be now?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wilson x4. This kid is special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

4 for Wilson :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

Very cheeky penalty by Giggs.

Salford winning 2-1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

lordgoat wrote: »
    Wilson x4. This kid is special.

Likely to take Chico squad place this season hopefully.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

If Chico goes what would people prefer. Bring back Henriquez as 4th choice and loan out Wilson or keep him at the club and get a few games next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

Nuts102 wrote: »
    If Chico goes what would people prefer. Bring back Henriquez as 4th choice and loan out Wilson or keep him at the club and get a few games next season.

Wilson on loan would be great. Won't get too many games this season otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭n32

Definitely needs a loan to a good team. These are his prime development years and he needs to playing regularly instead of sitting on the bench waiting for a few sub appearances. He looked so good tonight, I cant wait to see what LVG does with him

• Advertisement

dahat wrote: »

Wilson is a better finisher than Chico. All he lacks on him is experience imo.

I'd keep Wilson and sell Hernandez I think. Bit of a gamble but probably the best/second best underage player I've seen play. Have to make a call on him now so... Maybe a loan til xmas but it needs to be to a prem league club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

It's all how they develop, at Wilson's age Henriquez was banging in goals in a tough league and was capped by Chile. Now a few years later he doesn't seem to get mentioned much. Will Keane looked special until his injury. Hopefully Wilson goes on to fulfill that potential he looks special.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Wilson needs to keep playing. Loaning him out to sit on a bench is not an option. Spain, Italy or Prem league. Needs to be at a high level.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    It's all how they develop, at Wilson's age Henriquez was banging in goals in a tough league and was capped by Chile. Now a few years later he doesn't seem to get mentioned much. Will Keane looked special until his injury. Hopefully Wilson goes on to fulfill that potential he looks special.

Will Keane was good. And will be a good player. James Wilson is a better goal scorer and I'd argue a better overall player. I can see Will Keane getting a loan and good luck to him. And I can see Wilson pushing our first team strikers and getting minutes. Way more clinical than Wellbz and Chico.

I d like to see some of our young players getting loans to decent teams in the Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A for a change. If a player got a loan in england for a season and another abroad for a season it would be very useful to experience life in a different league with different playing styles. English players could really benefit from a different league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Correct me if I'm wrong, but neither Fabregas nor Sneijder were as "done" deals as Vidal appears to be now?

Is that a sign that we're closer to signing him, or that journalists are getting worse for bullshltting as the years go by?

I seem to remember the Sneijder ones being brutal. Always took the Fabregas rumours with a pinch of salt, probably because the burn from Sneijder was so bad.

n32 wrote: »
    I d like to see some of our young players getting loans to decent teams in the Bundesliga/La Liga/Serie A for a change. If a player got a loan in england for a season and another abroad for a season it would be very useful to experience life in a different league with different playing styles. English players could really benefit from a different league

A very good point.

Hopefully some guys might be sent to the Netherlands.

A very good point.

Hopefully some guys might be sent to the Netherlands.

I know we did have a link with Royal Antwerp and John O Shea played a season with them . You would want a better league than Belgium though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

From Redcafe...

iX9QDjrHe16X4.gif

Amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Lads any videos of the Wilson goals?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭steoin

When Arturo Vidal signs for us tomorrow, we'll go from contenders for 4th to contenders for the title.

With our commercial revenue, I couldn't give a flying f..k about slightly overpaying for players who we absolutely need.

If we can get Vidal, Blind, Hummels, Song/Alonso and Vermaelen, we'll contend for the title this year and the Champions League next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭NoelJ

When Arturo Vidal signs for us tomorrow, we'll go from contenders for 4th to contenders for the title.

With our commercial revenue, I couldn't give a flying f..k about slightly overpaying for players who we absolutely need.

If we can get Vidal, Blind, Hummels, Song/Alonso and Vermaelen, we'll contend for the title this year and the Champions League next year.

Really 4th to title challengers? Vidal isn't that good.

Even with that squad you won't be near the champions league compared to Bayern, Real and Barca.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Larry, I bet you can't wait for September. You have so much to look forward to...

Milhouse-Playing-Frisbee-With-Himself-The-Simpsons.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Vidal is arguably better than every other midfielder in the premier league and that kind of quality coming in is only going to improve the team massively if it does happen

But there is so many variables it's premature talking about anything more than a top 4 challenge, give Van Gaal time and enjoy the progress and worry about title challenges when we are back in the champions league is how I'm looking at it

• Advertisement

TheTownie wrote: »
    Larry, I bet you can't wait for September. You have so much to look forward to...

Milhouse-Playing-Frisbee-With-Himself-The-Simpsons.gif

No shame in having the guts to put my money where my mouth is so to speak.

Re contending for the title, there's no reason why we can't IF we sign players. Pellegrini was able to win the title in his first year and more pertinently Jose Mourinho was able to win the title in his first year with a number of big money signings who required integrating.

NoelJ wrote: »
    Really 4th to title challengers? Vidal isn't that good.

Even with that squad you won't be near the champions league compared to Bayern, Real and Barca.

I strongly disagree with you.

A team with a spine of De Gea, Hummels, Vidal and Van Persie plus players like Mata and Rooney could achieve anything.

Even if we were in for them all and were willing to spend the $: if we got Vidal would we still be in for Alonso? does that relegate a 30m Herrera to the bench?
    Same as Hummels would we still be in for Vermaelen one or the other.

That list is the stuff of fantasy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

How are you so sure we are signing him and how are you so confident he is signing tomorrow

steoin wrote: »
    Even if we were in for them all and were willing to spend the $: if we got Vidal would we still be in for Alonso? does that relegate a 30m Herrera to the bench?
    Same as Hummels would we still be in for Vermaelen one or the other.

That list is the stuff of fantasy.

Well for example, in a system with three centre halves, surely we need at least five viable candidates?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Well for example, in a system with three centre halves, surely we need at least five viable candidates?

If Vidal signs tomorrow I'll double my exile.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Hummels is not leaving Dortmund this summer. Forget about it. We might sign Vidal, but seeing as he's still with Juve in Indonesia, I highly doubt it'll be announced tomorrow. Blind and Vermalen are the only realistic names in your list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

dahat wrote: »

Wud certainly fit the current trend of slashing the wage bill anyway though its strange he wasnt taken on tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hococop wrote: »
    How are you so sure we are signing him

He's not.
    Hococop wrote: »
    and how are you so confident he is signing tomorrow

Because his head is in the clouds.

Can't fault his optimism though, misguided as it may be.

Hummels is not leaving Dortmund this summer. Forget about it. We might sign Vidal, but seeing as he's still with Juve in Indonesia, I highly doubt it'll be announced tomorrow. Blind and Vermalen are the only realistic names in your list.

There is a shortage of top class centre halves out there. We have pots of money and aren't in trouble on the FFP front. Dortmund are a selling club. Bite the bullet and offer £30m for Hummels. If they say no, increase the offer until they say yes. As a fan, I couldn't care less whether we pay £30m or £35m for a player we absolutely need.

Wud certainly fit the current trend of slashing the wage bill anyway though its strange he wasnt taken on tour.

In fairness barring vidic i'm ok seeing the rest of them off the wages.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

I'm not saying we won't sign Vidal but where is all this certainty coming from?

We've seen all summer the rumours about this story going back and forth. Has there been anything of concrete evidence said by a representative from either club or player?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I've said it before but Benatia would be a fantastic signing, is at a good age with experience and has played in a back 3 for a few seasons

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Garay was iirc. That was a very similar case, loads of speculation coming from sources close to the player and the selling club, which made for some very believable sounding rumours of deals being close and/or done with United.

@RafaelH117: Vermaelen to Barcelona is nearing its completion, doubt Woodward will save Zubi this time.

Seems fairly spot on with Barca stuff, Benatia for us then maybe?

• Advertisement

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I'm not saying we won't sign Vidal but where is all this certainty coming from?

We've seen all summer the rumours about this story going back and forth. Has there been anything of concrete evidence said by a representative from either club or player?

My buddy in JP Morgan is adamant that the deal will be done. And not to put too fine a point on it, he's got his finger on the proverbial pulse...

On an unrelated note, strange to be opening with Swansea two seasons in a row? At most a 5% chance of it happening...less in fact because of relegation.

Strange yes but he will be impossible to ignore this season, hopefully lvg wants to keep him around.

Fair point, just realistically can't see us signing both of them.

Also would I be right in saying we're lacking pace at the back, and that it could potentially have to sit further back against a lot of teams?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

There is a shortage of top class centre halves out there. We have pots of money and aren't in trouble on the FFP front. Dortmund are a selling club. Bite the bullet and offer £30m for Hummels. If they say no, increase the offer until they say yes. As a fan, I couldn't care less whether we pay £30m or £35m for a player we absolutely need.

Dortmund WERE a selling club. They're not any more. They're contenders for the Bundesliga and will go far in the CL again this year. They didn't "sell" Goetze or Lewandowski. They had no choice with Goetzes release clause and Lewandowski ran down his contract.
    Throwing money doesn't always get you a player. Sometimes a club and a player are happy to stay put, no matter what the offer is.

My buddy in JP Morgan is adamant that the deal will be done. And not to put too fine a point on it, he's got his finger on the proverbial pulse...

On an unrelated note, strange to be opening with Swansea two seasons in a row? At most a 5% chance of it happening...less in fact because of relegation.

and by 'buddy' you mean the guy you follow on twitter.

JP Morgan Financial Analyst specialized in Sports Mergers

steoin wrote: »
    Fair point, just realistically can't see us signing both of them.

Also would I be right in saying we're lacking pace at the back, and that it could potentially have to sit further back against a lot of teams?

You're spot on. Smalling's pretty quick but none of the others or Hummels or Vermaelen would exactly have Gareth Bale in a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How do you work that one out?

Not saying Lennon should have been appointed, but of the criteria you would expect of a Man United manager Lennon objectively presented a better case than Moyes did.

Multiple title winner as a manager, cup winner as player and manager, international footballer as a player, Champions league experience as a manager including qualifying from the group stages and beating Barcelona, manager of a club with a far bigger brand than Everton.

Lennon easily presents a better case for the job, and as such highlights just how deficient a case presented by Moyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Look, I know Moyes was bad but we were never really in danger of relegation.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement