Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

lordgoat wrote: »
    I was amazed he was taken on tour. Never looked solid at CB or LB. Preseason is the best I've seen him play.

I think he will do well at senior level in the system, I thought highly enough of him iirc a couple of years back..........quick search of the posts shows me I did, but at left back of course :)http://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?query=Blackett&forum=151&subforums=1&user=102018&date_from=01-10-2010&date_to=07-08-2014

Wouldnt like to be going into the season with him as a regular but still hold out a bit of hope for him to be a player for us. The tour will have done him good and he will have gained plenty of confidence from it with his performances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In Jeremey Cross I trust

It's gonna be easy enough for Frank Lampard to settle in at Eastlands...he must know a lot of the City fans from the time that they were Chelsea fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

In Jeremey Cross I trust

In Vidal's knee I trust :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

It's gonna be easy enough for Frank Lampard to settle in at Eastlands...he must know a lot of the City fans from the time that they were Chelsea fans.

The idea was good, execution was a bit patchy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

oooooh not a popular one joe Larry!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

oooooh not a popular one joe Larry!

it's Larry, ..... with the dog....... in the nip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

follow paddy power on twitter yeah?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Not saying Lennon should have been appointed, but of the criteria you would expect of a Man United manager Lennon objectively presented a better case than Moyes did.

Multiple title winner as a manager, cup winner as player and manager, international footballer as a player, Champions league experience as a manager including qualifying from the group stages and beating Barcelona, manager of a club with a far bigger brand than Everton.

Lennon easily presents a better case for the job, and as such highlights just how deficient a case presented by Moyes.

With the greatest of respect to Lennon, his first title came the season Rangers went into admin, docked 10 points and were in disarray most of the season. His other two came after Rangers were wound up. It's not his fault and you can only beat what's in front of you but with the squad and resources he had at Celtic and no side capable of mounting a challenge vs them I don't see his title wins as being all that impressive.

Considering the Old Firm sides had won the cup a total of 67 times between them when he took over, with Celtic winning 34, I really don't think winning the Scottish cup should be the yardstick of a manager.

The Barca result was fantastic but shocks happen in cup football, let's not forget that Moyes' Everton side knocked reigning CL winners and eventual CL runners up Utd out of the FA cup in 2009.

Lennon could go on to be fantastic manager but right now all he's had is 4 years experience in a poor league with poor competition and comparatively large resources. Moyes established Everton as regular contenders for the European spots over the course of a decade, with a small budget at a time when the Premiership was arguably at its best. Yes ultimately it was proven that he wasn't the right man for the job but the logic of why he got it in the first place was sound.

Edit: I'm ignoring Lennon's success as a player because I don't think it's relevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

With the greatest of respect to Lennon, his first title came the season Rangers went into admin, docked 10 points and were in disarray most of the season. His other two came after Rangers were wound up. It's not his fault and you can only beat what's in front of you but with the squad and resources he had at Celtic and no side capable of mounting a challenge vs them I don't see his title wins as being all that impressive.

Considering the Old Firm sides had won the cup a total of 67 times between them when he took over, with Celtic winning 34, I really don't think winning the Scottish cup should be the yardstick of a manager.

The Barca result was fantastic but shocks happen in cup football, let's not forget that Moyes' Everton side knocked reigning CL winners and eventual CL runners up Utd out of the FA cup in 2009.

Lennon could go on to be fantastic manager but right now all he's had is 4 years experience in a poor league with poor competition and comparatively large resources. Moyes established Everton as regular contenders for the European spots over the course of a decade, with a small budget at a time when the Premiership was arguably at its best. Yes ultimately it was proven that he wasn't the right man for the job but the logic of why he got it in the first place was sound.

Edit: I'm ignoring Lennon's success as a player because I don't think it's relevant.

Sure, you can pick holes in Lennons achievements but my point was never that he should have gotten the job but that he objectively was better qualified than Moyes was, and I think that holds true. It speaks to how little due diligence was applied to the decision to appoint Moyes.

I would say though, you really are downplaying Lennons European achievements. Its not the same as winning an FA cup tie, Celtic were always vastly outmatched in Europe but he brought them out of the group stages more than once, beating not only Barcelona but also Milan if I remember correctly. Thats not winning a one-off tie, thats evidence of sustained achievement and punching way above their weight on the European stage. What did Moyes do with a Premier league club in Europe again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Moyes was an objectively poor appointment. You'd struggle to find a non-mental United fan who disagrees.

It's the weird aggrandising of Neil Lennon that I don't get. What exactly is your point? That Moyes was a terrible choice? No ****ing shit....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

Sure, you can pick holes in Lennons achievements but my point was never that he should have gotten the job but that he objectively was better qualified than Moyes was, and I think that holds true. It speaks to how little due diligence was applied to the decision to appoint Moyes.

I would say though, you really are downplaying Lennons European achievements. Its not the same as winning an FA cup tie, Celtic were always vastly outmatched in Europe but he brought them out of the group stages more than once, beating not only Barcelona but also Milan if I remember correctly. Thats not winning a one-off tie, thats evidence of sustained achievement and punching way above their weight on the European stage. What did Moyes do with a Premier league club in Europe again?

He lost to a very good Villareal side that would eventually go all the way to the semis and was never able to overcome the economic realities of life in the Premiership to get them there again. It’s harder to qualify for 4th in the Premiership than it is for Celtic to qualify for the Champion’s League. Rangers provide the only competition for the spot and they haven’t been in the league except for his first season. In the Premiership if Everton hoped to get 4th they had to displace one of 2 clubs run by billionaires with loose wallets, a financial juggernaut with one of the best managers of all time in Man Utd and much larger clubs in Arsenal and Liverpool. That’s proved a hard task for wealthier clubs like Spurs, Everton were going close to it regularly on a budget that looks more like a relegation candidate.

I’m not downplaying Lennon’s achievements, you’re overstating them. He didn’t beat Milan and he didn’t get them out of the group stage more than once, he got them out precisely once. Their Champion’s League record under him reads:

2010-2011 3rd round qualifier, lost to Braga.
    2011-2012 Didn’t qualify.
    2012-2013 2nd round. Beat Barca and Spartak Moscow
    2013-2014 Finished bottom of their group, winning only one game (Ajax).

That isn’t evidence of sustained achievement, that’s evidence of one very good season followed by a fall back to expectation.

I’m not saying he’s a poor manager by any means, I’m just saying he’s not as impressive a candidate as someone that took a side battling relegation to the third division and brought them right up to the play offs for the Premiership within a few years, then took over a debt laden club that often faced relegation and turned them into a consistent upper mid-table side he had to rebuild more than once over the span of a decade.

Was there more experienced managers out there than Moyes? Yes, absolutely. That doesn't mean there was no logic behind his appointment in the first place as others have suggested and until Neil Lennon has to face the challenge of a more competitive league in which his budget doesn't dwarf everyone else, for a period longer than his Celtic reign I don't see how anyone can say he was a better candidate than Moyes, especially when he'd only had 3 years experience as a first team manager by that point.

You'd struggle to find a non-mental United fan who disagrees.

Classy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭baldshin

I just took this at Juve's hotel in Sydney, pretty sure he's mouthing 'screw you guys, I'm off to Manchester after this nice holiday!' My grasp of all languages is pretty poor though to be fair so it could have been anything else.
    IMG_20140808_152713_zps3b1a2401.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

From the express
    MANCHESTER UNITED appear to be closing in on a move for Daley Blind with the defender no longer training with the Ajax first team.
    Blind has found himself regularly linked with a move to United this summer where he would link up with former Dutch national team boss Louis Van Gaal.

Van Gaal is known to be a fan of Blind's tactical versatility and believes the 24-year-old would be a massive asset as he looks to implement his new formation at Old Trafford.

And Ajax youth coach Richard Witschge has hinted a move could be close after revealing the player's unusual training situation.

He told Heldenonline: "I think Daley Blind will be leaving soon. I have a feeling."He has been training by himself. I think he has done that, because there's something going on."

Reports suggest that Ajax are holding out for £17m for Blind with interest from Barcelona helping to drive the price up.

It now remains to be seen whether United step up their interest sufficiently to pull off a deal before the transfer window closes at the end of the month.

its seems we might have a chance of signing him (if its true) but the £17 million price seems high but i suppose we have the money now

Hococop wrote: »
    From the express

its seems we might have a chance of signing him (if its true) but the £17 million price seems high but i suppose we have the money now

Would it not be odd to spend £47m on left backs / left wingbacks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭JaMarcusHustle

From the express

I find it hard to take any article seriously when it's right aligned.

I find it hard to take any article seriously when it's right aligned.

apologies about that first time using the quote button but fixed it now :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Would it not be odd to spend £47m on left backs / left wingbacks?

He can play cm and cover and lwb. It means Young can cover at rwb and Valencia can go play with the reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

Also from the Express:

Man Utd Transfer News: £60m TRIPLE defensive swoop, Arturo Vidal swap deal

MANCHESTER UNITED are ready to make a sensational triple swoop for Arsenal's Thomas Vermaelen, Roma's Mehdi Benatia and Ajax's Daley Blind as a move for Juventus star Arturo Vidal heats up.

The Red Devils are in the market for a number of players as the new Premier League season draws closer, and manager Louis Van Gaal is determined to add Vermaelen and Benatia to his squad despite facing competition from Chelsea, Barcelona and Real Madrid.

As well as the two centre-backs, Van Gaal is also chasing Ajax wing-back Blind, who has been made to train alone by the Dutch champions after trying to force through a move.

The versatile player starred for Holland at the World Cup, and Van Gaal is desperate for a reunion at Old Trafford this summer.

Another target for the former Bayern Munich and Barcelona boss, Arturo Vidal, looks set to be linking up with United before the transfer window shuts, with surplus stars Javier Hernandez and Shinji Kagawa being used as bait by Van Gaal in order to land the Chilean.

Vidal has reportedly told friends he is determined to play in England next season, and will urge the Turin giants to accept United's offer as soon as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Unfortunately The Express are a rubbish source. They have been writing fictional stories all summer

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Unearthly wrote: »
    Unfortunately The Express are a rubbish source. They have been writing fictional stories all summer
    Yep, up there with the mirror as being the most s.hite unreliable source of newsworthy information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

A lot of bluster to sell papers - the Daley Blind story comes from something Richard Witschge is supposed to have said. The Vidal story comes from something in La Stampa which has been unreliable all summer and the Vermaelen story comes from a flippant remark made by Arsene Wenger. The reporting is no different to what people are putting on twitter - seeing one thing and making a story out of it.

There will be signings, of that there is no doubt but I'd be slow right now to believe anything in the press.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

baldshin wrote: »
    I just took this at Juve's hotel in Sydney, pretty sure he's mouthing 'screw you guys, I'm off to Manchester after this nice holiday!' My grasp of all languages is pretty poor though to be fair so it could have been anything else.

You should've thrown him a United jersey with his name on it while chanting "One of us, one of us" :cool:

Today is the day...Arturo Vidal, our new Roy Keane

Is this from JP Morgan or are you just speculating? :pac:

how i picture you waiting for the breaking news of him signing :D

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

You said the same for last Friday. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Only one week until it's the Friday before football. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Just over 3 weeks left of this transfer window and I just want to get there and see who we bought and who we sold. Its become so annoying now with all these rumours.

This week alone we are buying Cuadrado, Blind, Vermaalen, Benatia, Vidal and possibly DiMaria again.

how i picture you waiting for the breaking news of him signing :D

How I picture him waiting ...

homer_mental.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Since its LVG's birthday, I can think of no better present from Woodie than getting LVG Vidal. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

kstand wrote: »
    A lot of bluster to sell papers - the Daley Blind story comes from something Richard Witschge is supposed to have said. The Vidal story comes from something in La Stampa which has been unreliable all summer and the Vermaelen story comes from a flippant remark made by Arsene Wenger. The reporting is no different to what people are putting on twitter - seeing one thing and making a story out of it.

There will be signings, of that there is no doubt but I'd be slow right now to believe anything in the press.

I thought that too but its squeeky bum time now and im having my doubts:eek:

dor843088 wrote: »
    I thought that too but its squeeky bum time now and im having my doubts:eek:

Theres not one sign of realistic evidence that we are going to make a signing before next weekend.

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Theres not one sign of realistic evidence that we are going to make a signing before next weekend.

But but but... the papers said... :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I have no intention of hanging around on a Friday checking to see if we are going to sign anyone. Van Gaal is only back in Manchester now so I don't think there will be any movement whatsoever until Monday/Tuesday at the earliest. The papers are full of sh!te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kstand wrote: »
    There will be signings, of that there is no doubt

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But then here we are...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

There is really only one Keane, they broke the mound when they made him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

I've no fate in a Defender called "Blind"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Only one week until it's the Friday before football. :D

Stuck back on Sky Sports yesterday - can't wait :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

You'd think so, wouldn't you. But then here we are...

There have been 2 already this summer. He has had a chance to assess the squad, I understand today is D-Day for the fringe players. A lot of the players that we are linked with have only recently come back to their clubs but initial contact could well have been made by now. Don't forget there is still over 3 weeks to go in the window and with all due respects, our first 6 games are not against top 4 or even top 6 sides. So even if it takes another week or even 2 to bring players in, the squad that is there should be good enough to get the points in those games. I wouldn't call it squeaky bum time yet by any stretch of the imagination, plenty of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I have no intention of hanging around on a Friday checking to see if we are going to sign anyone. Van Gaal is only back in Manchester now so I don't think there will be any movement whatsoever until Monday/Tuesday at the earliest. The papers are full of sh!te.

Say the line!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

NeVeR wrote: »

Yeah all players should have names like Sharpe or Keane. That guy Daley Attentive might be worth a look too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

beakerjoe wrote: »

Well Vermaelen is the most likely, though i thought it wud be done 2 weeks ago.

Strange that the story has been out there for 6 weeks but we only bid for him now.

Well Vermaelen is the most likely, though i thought it wud be done 2 weeks ago.

Strange that the story has been out there for 6 weeks but we only bid for him now.

I really don't understand you homer. You seem a smart guy, but if you're not believing the papers one day, the next time you're taking them as gospel.

Just because it's come out in the papers now doesn't mean United have only recently acted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

Here’s a thought I have on United’s apparent lack of urgency in the transfer market.

Are they waiting until other “interested clubs” either make a bid or sign an alternative before making their moves in the hope that they can avoid bidding wars and in the knowledge that they have a handy enough first couple of weeks and could maybe live with what they have until deadline day?

Take Blind and Varmaelen as examples. It would appear United and Barcelona are interested in both and therefore the price of either is pushed up. Varmaelen, who should cost 8-10M is suddenly being touted for 12-15. So United wait to see if anything happens and once Barca move they then make a bid. Hopefully they can persuade him United are a better option and the RVP link might be worth something.

With Blind figures of 17M are being mentioned which appears nuts (but he was Dutch player of the year this year). This would apparently be due to Barca’s interest also. Now it appears nobody has made an offer. IF Barca don’t or sign someone else then suddenly his value drops by 5M+. If coming up to August 31 United are the only interested party then bingo – here’s 10M nice doing business with you.

I reckon there’s a lot of brinkmanship going on around Europe at the moment. United, Barca and Liverpool all looking to sign big but nobody jumping yet. Chelsea also prowling in the background and City haven’t bought anyone apart from a reserve keeper. This could work out or could backfire spectacularly, as it did with William and Spurs last season. The same could happen United who will be left without defenders and Liverpool who will be left with Sturridge as their lone striker.

I don’t expect much to happen for the next 3 weeks then great craic for 1 or 2 days. Just hope the gamble works out for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

NeVeR wrote: »

I guess it's safe to say... You're not one for the Blind faith :o

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

£187k a week, and £47m. Seriously hope he can live up to these figures and doesn't get injured much. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arturo-vidal-transfer-news-manchester-united-agree-182000aweek-deal-with-vidal-as-talks-set-to-increase-with-juventus--reports-9654532.html

Also £36m for Cuadrado http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/496781/Man-Utd-ready-to-wrap-up-36million-move-for-Juan-Cuadrado

Why do we always seemed to get fleeced? I'd nearly prefer him to work with what we've got.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

For a good while Ajax have let people know that it is more than likely Daley Blind will leave the club this year. Hopefully VG can convince him to choose to join us. Great player and with VG and RVP in the club it might help him settle in quicker if he did join us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Woohoo. Vermaelen deal is off according to Sky because United were offering a swap deal.

Delighted if true.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement