Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Vermaelen will be a great CB for United. I'm quite shocked that people don't rate him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

GSPfan wrote: »
    Woohoo. Vermaelen deal is off according to Sky because United were offering a swap deal.

Delighted if true.

Why, we will probably panic buy someone worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Woohoo. Vermaelen deal is off according to Sky because United were offering a swap deal.

Delighted if true.

I suppose it doesn't say who the swap deal was for ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

twam2008 wrote: »
    £187k a week, and £47m. Seriously hope he can live up to these figures and doesn't get injured much. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arturo-vidal-transfer-news-manchester-united-agree-182000aweek-deal-with-vidal-as-talks-set-to-increase-with-juventus--reports-9654532.html

Also £36m for Cuadrado http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/496781/Man-Utd-ready-to-wrap-up-36million-move-for-Juan-Cuadrado

Why do we always seemed to get fleeced? I'd nearly prefer him to work with what we've got.

It's paper talk. The Independent is taking its story form La Stampa and the express is an unreliable rag. We haven't been fleeced as we haven't actually paid this money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Theres not one sign of realistic evidence that we are going to make a signing before next weekend.

There is not one sign of realistic evidence that we aren't going to make a signing before next weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

It's paper talk. The Independent is taking it's story form La Stampa and the express is an unreliable rag. We haven't been fleeced as we haven't actually paid this money.

Given what we paid for Failaini, Herrera and Shaw, I'd say there's a good chance. Don't really understand Woodies declarations of we have loads of money to spend, hasn't really done us any favours.

duffman13 wrote: »
    There is not one sign of realistic evidence that we aren't going to make a signing before next weekend

Well we can make a friendly wager like Wildman and Adox..... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

Delighted if true.

Sounds like from the tweet it was Arsenal who wanted to do a swap and Utd refused.
    Sky Sources: Man Utd end interest in Arsenal Thomas Vermaelen after refusing to consider swap deal #SSN

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Vermaelen will be a great CB for United. I'm quite shocked that people don't rate him at all.

I think he's a good player but I'd prefer Blind.

Vermaelen is nearly 29 and has quite a few injury concerns over the past 4 seasons. Might be a bit risky. He missed a lot of last season and even in the first game he had in the world cup didn't he get injured before half time?

I would just rather Blind because he seems like he is a solid player, obviously would be familiar with VG's method and at 24 can have a long career with us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Why, we will probably panic buy someone worse.

He will be injured all the time. We seriously don't need another player with a habit of missing games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

greendom wrote: »

No.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Samoa Joe

greendom wrote: »

Smalling apparently

Well we can make a friendly wager like Wildman and Adox..... :pac:

Ok so if we don't sign anyone before next Friday I'll take a week off, not that confident I could last a month :)

Given what we paid for Failaini, Herrera and Shaw, I'd say there's a good chance. Don't really understand Woodies declarations of we have loads of money to spend, hasn't really done us any favours.

I wasn't talking about the amount of money, I was saying that the stories are rubbish. Don't believe anything until the club announce it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Smalling apparently

Wouldn't be interested in that swap.

Also heard Nani was being offered, not surprised if they turned that down.

• Advertisement

I wasn't talking about the amount of money, I was saying that the stories are rubbish. Don't believe anything until the club announce it.

This thread would be non existent if we all had to wait until signings were official before talking about them.

Ok so if we don't sign anyone before next Friday I'll take a week off, not that confident I could last a month :)

5...Pounds Ted? .. how about ....10 pounds!

Dick.jpg

If we dont sign anyone by next Friday take til the end of the trandfer window off..... same applies to me if we do sign someone by next friday....

Ya got the stones?....:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Are you saying somebody should prove a negative? Because that would be some feat...

Adamocovic wrote: »
    I think he's a good player but I'd prefer Blind.

Vermaelen is nearly 29 and has quite a few injury concerns over the past 4 seasons. Might be a bit risky. He missed a lot of last season and even in the first game he had in the world cup didn't he get injured before half time?

I would just rather Blind because he seems like he is a solid player, obviously would be familiar with VG's method and at 24 can have a long career with us.

Have you seen his injury record? He missed an entire season because of an Achilles injury, which then required surgery so he missed part of the following season.

He's picked up knocks and niggles like any player. If I'm right, I think he's always played 30 games a season for Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I really don't understand you homer. You seem a smart guy, but if you're not believing the papers one day, the next time you're taking them as gospel.

Just because it's come out in the papers now doesn't mean United have only recently acted.

????? It was Wenger who said yesterday we had bid.

And as ive said many times, what i believe in the "papers" is based on who is writing it, i disregard 90% of whats written in the sun, mirror or any other rag like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Wouldn't be interested in that swap.

Also heard Nani was being offered, not surprised if they turned that down.

I reckon they wanted Smalling. Worrying that United refused – that translates to me as “We need to hold onto him because we’d be short of CB options without him and have nothing else in the pipeline”

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Swapping Smalling for Verm would be fixing one problem by creating another. Would leave us in the same position we started off in, so if that's what arsenal want, I am glad it's not going ahead...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

£187k a week, and £47m. Seriously hope he can live up to these figures and doesn't get injured much. http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/arturo-vidal-transfer-news-manchester-united-agree-182000aweek-deal-with-vidal-as-talks-set-to-increase-with-juventus--reports-9654532.html

Also £36m for Cuadrado http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/496781/Man-Utd-ready-to-wrap-up-36million-move-for-Juan-Cuadrado

Why do we always seemed to get fleeced? I'd nearly prefer him to work with what we've got.

You say that like those articles mean something...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Coat22 wrote: »
    I reckon they wanted Smalling. Worrying that United refused – that translates to me as “We need to hold onto him because we’d be short of CB options without him and have nothing else in the pipeline”

Which also means we will now pay way over the odds for 3rd choice CB target, Benatia at €25m or the like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Blind makes most sense. Mostly plays CM but can operate in the LWB role and CB if required.

Barcelona are supposedly confident of getting Vermaelan which is good knees to me. Most obscure target in a long time. Absolute collapse in form and fitness and at 28 provides no hope of recovering IMO. I'd question Van Gaal making that signing big time. Hopefully we miss out.

Vidal feels more like I originally thought...a player/agent move to get a big money move...but preferably stay put and get a contract bump. Id be shocked at this point if he signs...and more expect him to sign a bumped Juventus deal.

You say that like those articles mean something...

Should Gossip, Rumours be taken out of the title if we are not supposed to speculate on them?

This thread would be non existent if we all had to wait until signings were official before talking about them.

It's pretty easy to weed out the obvious BS stories like these ones.

It's pretty easy to weed out the obvious BS stories like these ones.

Matter of opinion, I would have thought the two players I've mentioned were as likely as anyone else to be signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

Who was the potential swap deal for?
    Sky Sources: Man Utd end interest in Arsenal Thomas Vermaelen after refusing to consider swap deal #SSN

https://twitter.com/SkySportsNews/status/497671469196124160

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

advertsfox wrote: »

Chris Smalling.

• Advertisement

United will throw more money at Arsenal and that'll be that I reckon.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Swapping Smalling for Verm would be fixing one problem by creating another. Would leave us in the same position we started off in, so if that's what arsenal want, I am glad it's not going ahead...

It would just be stupid :P

dahat wrote: »
    Which also means we will now pay way over the odds for 3rd choice CB target, Benatia at €25m or the like.

Spot on.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt that they are after more than one defender. LVG is on record as saying we need “defenders” so I presume they are after 2+ (most likely 2). Vermaelen for me would have been a handy one to pick up – available, used to the PL, covers LB and a bloody good centre back (IMO better than what we have). They could then pursue whoever else they are after without the panic.

If they’ve pulled out of this they still need 2 players and will certainly pay over the odds to get them and they won’t necessarily be what they need.

5...Pounds Ted? .. how about ....10 pounds!

Dick.jpg

If we dont sign anyone by next Friday take til the end of the trandfer window off..... same applies to me if we do sign someone by next friday....

Ya got the stones?....:cool:

Right ten pounds I'm in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Would translate to me as United saying to Arsenal, how stupid do you think we are!?!

Whats the point in swapping one defender for another when we need to add bodies to that area? It doesnt put us in any better shape numbers wise never mind getting into ability, potential, injury concern or age

:o
    Breaking: Manchester United reinstated to the Champions League after they were found to have appointed an ineligible manager last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭advertsfox

kstand wrote: »
    Chris Smalling.
    I would have had that swap deal me.

Vermalen deal falling through ties in with the Blind rumours or speculation starting again, he looks a good fit for 2/3 positions and at €17n or so he could be value compared to Vermalen.

SStill need another CB though, Benatia possibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Have you seen his injury record? He missed an entire season because of an Achilles injury, which then required surgery so he missed part of the following season.

He's picked up knocks and niggles like any player. If I'm right, I think he's always played 30 games a season for Arsenal.

I take it your are talking about Vermaelens injury record? Yes. I have seen his record he had the achilles injury back in 2010 I think but then after he recovered from that didn't he have another injury concern in 2011, then didn't he have another injury scare in 2012, and last year also. And then again in the World Cup he picked up another knock.

I agree he is a good player but to buy him without having concerns about his injury record would be strange.

I don't know exact figures but I can say pretty confidently that he only played 11-15 matches in the league last season.

As I said I'm not doubting his ability but you can't deny he has had a lot of troubles with injuries. Who knows he could go injury free next season but he's getting close to 30 and it might be harder to see him make 25+ league appearances a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Stretford End Flags ‏@SEF_MUFC 5m
    We wont be rushing on making a new banner/ 2 banners for the start of the season. We need to ensure that we have quality designs. #mufc

Obviously a new system in place compared to last year......

Delighted if true.

Still expect that deal to go through unfortunately. Youd hope that we have better options lined up but at this stage now it could be too late to get those other options in.

You could have asked 100 posters on here to list off 20 suitable players to improve us last May and id be pretty sure Vermaelen wouldnt have been on any of them. Yet another transfer target thats really under whelming and baffling.

kryogen wrote: »
    Would translate to me as United saying to Arsenal, how stupid do you think we are!?!

Whats the point in swapping one defender for another when we need to add bodies to that area? It doesnt put us in any better shape numbers wise never mind getting into ability, potential, injury concern or age

I’d say United would have looked at it if they had something else in the pipeline. They’re obviously keen not to let him go until they have replacements in. Smalling probably worth more also due to his age and the fact that he’s English.

This could still work out if United get Vermaelen and line up another quick smart. Arsenal obviously need to replace him and are keen on Smalling so would expect them to make a bid for him again.

Vermaelen for me is an ideal buy - if not the answer to our problems he’d certainly improve the current situation – I hope this doesn’t pass us by.

BBC have the fee at€15m for Vermalen, medical the weekend, signing for Barca not us.

Yet another transfer target thats really under whelming and baffling.

Who else is underwhelming and baffling? Yes Vermaelen is definitely not my first choice however if LVG is pushing the three CB system I think he will slot in fine from a talent point of view however it's the fitness concerns that get most people. Same could be said for most Arsenal players and RVP had a worse injury record.

dahat wrote: »
    BBC have the fee at€15m for Vermalen, medical the weekend.
    David Ornstein
    David Ornstein
    BBC Sport
    Football

Posted at 10:57

Arsenal agree a fee of around £15m with Spanish runners-up Barcelona for the sale of club captain Thomas Vermaelen.
    The 28-year-old Belgium defender must now agree personal terms and pass a medical.

Vermaelen was a target for Manchester United, but the Old Trafford club ended their interest after refusing Arsenal's demand to receive a player as part of the deal.

The move is likely to be completed over the weekend.

Interesting. I wonder were United ever even in for him? I would've liked him at United. Would've brought some nice Premier League experience to the back line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

Not worried about Vermaelen - looked a good centre half 4 years ago, but too many injuries, not getting in the Arsenal side, not playing consistently well and 29 years of age, just didn't think it was going to be right for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You have a very funny way at looking at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

You have a very funny way at looking at this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,845 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kstand wrote: »
    Chris Smalling.

joke right?

edit: Ahh Arsenal wanted a swap sorry. Smalling or Jones I believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

I reckon they wanted Hernandez, Arsenal would be absolutely lethal with Hernandez up front

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement