Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Looks like some of the itks are latching onto Benatia now that Vermaelen deal is dead, would love it to be true

It's going to be interesting to see which defenders we go after now, Vermaelen Hummels and De Vrij are the only ones we've been linked to the last few months that I can think of so we're probably in for a few surprises

I fear one of the surprises is no one being brought in, which would be a mistake in my eyes. Hope Im wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Morzadec wrote: »
    Liverpool fan here (I come in peace)

Was just wondering what United fans think of their summer business so far? Some Liverpool fans (myself probably included) are a bit underwhelmed by our business this summer, and are getting a bit angsty that with the season around the corner we still haven't signed a striker or any player of noted class.

But United have only made 2 signings (correct me if I'm wrong?) and arguably needed to make at least 4 big signings and maybe a couple more younger squad options.
    Hi
    Shaw and Herrera look like very good young players ready to improve the team right away and perhaps push on and become PL stars, but perhaps a bit comparable to some of Liverpool's signings, neither is the 'star' or big name that many were probably clam outing for.

I know the window is obviously still open, but is everyone still fairly relaxed or are people starting to worry that some key areas won't be addressed? Or is my assessment of United's squad and the signings of Shaw and Herrera way off the mark?

As things stand it would be disappointing.

We need a freshness and that wont come with what we have..

Signing a CB and CM is a must imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

twam2008 wrote: »
    Should Gossip, Rumours be taken out of the title if we are not supposed to speculate on them?

Speculate all you want. You were commenting as if they were done deals. There's a difference.

keane2097 wrote: »
    If United sell Kagawa I'll burn Old Trafford to the ground.

Why, he most likely wont get much of a look in and has under performed thus far into his United Career.

Was just wondering what United fans think of their summer business so far? Some Liverpool fans (myself probably included) are a bit underwhelmed by our business this summer, and are getting a bit angsty that with the season around the corner we still haven't signed a striker or any player of noted class.

But United have only made 2 signings (correct me if I'm wrong?) and arguably needed to make at least 4 big signings and maybe a couple more younger squad options.

Shaw and Herrera look like very good young players ready to improve the team right away and perhaps push on and become PL stars, but perhaps a bit comparable to some of Liverpool's signings, neither is the 'star' or big name that many were probably clamouring for.

I know the window is obviously still open, but is everyone still fairly relaxed or are people starting to worry that some key areas won't be addressed? Or is my assessment of United's squad and the signings of Shaw and Herrera way off the mark?

Think it's fairly unanimous on here that at least one CB and one CM, both of decent quality, are vital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

We signed a midfielder who can play in midfield. That in itself is worth a thousand trophies.

We need more, another CM and CB for sure, but I'm happy with Herrera and Shaw so far. If it remains like this I'll be ok, glad to have a new CM and LB, but disappointed we didn't flex our muscles.

I do think we'll sign a CB and CM before the window ends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

irishfeen wrote: »
    Aye, who would have thought we would be saying that with a week to go to premier league kick off.

Well LVG did. The day he took over he told everyone there would be no players in or out until he has 3/4 weeks to assess the squad. Were people not listening to him or did they just not believe him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I'd take any decent CM player tbh.

At CB we need the right kind of player, this year should be the make or break for Smalling and Jones and only a Hummels or Benetia should block their path, not a Vermaelen. Disappointed we didn't go for De Vril.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Definitely need a CB, not going to get overly worried about missing out on Vermaelen although it looks as if Van Gaal wants a left footed player in that back 3 - which are hard to come by. He was a player I thought we could return to previous form but if Arsenal won't sell to us then theres little we can do.

Im disappointed with our transfer window thus far, though I realize its not over.

Even though United have brought in 2 good signings, we have let 5 players go (Buttner, Evra, Vidic, Rio and Giggs) go out of a squad that already needed work. We still need at least 1 Central midfielder and one CB as well as cover, competition for LB with Shaw possibly not ready and Young, though playing well pre season, being under performing for most of his MUFC career thus far.

With some names on the chopping block still (Felliani, Cleverly, Kagawa, Hernandez, Zaha and maybe more), if any of these players go they will need replacing.

And as of today, we arent closer to signing anyone (at least publicly), esp after Ed Woodwards big "we can break the transfer fee record" statement.

I still think we will sign at least 1 player but I fear Im wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Shaw and Herrera look like very good young players ready to improve the team right away and perhaps push on and become PL stars, but perhaps a bit comparable to some of Liverpool's signings, neither is the 'star' or big name that many were probably clamouring for.

United don't need 4 new signings this summer. We have no CL so can operate with a smaller squad. A CM and CB are necessities. That plus shaw and Herrera would be a great start to LVG's reign.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

MagicIRL wrote: »
    We signed a midfielder who can play in midfield. That in itself is worth a thousand trophies.

We need more, another CM and CB for sure, but I'm happy with Herrera and Shaw so far. If it remains like this I'll be ok, glad to have a new CM and LB, but disappointed we didn't flex our muscles.

I do think we'll sign a CB and CM before the window ends.

Do you see an established rb (rwb?) as a necessity or do you think that position is covered between Rafael, Valencia and Young?

I know he had a poor last season but I've personally always rated Valencia and I think he could be made for that position, where first and foremost you need to be a physical engine - strong, fast and fit

Do you see an established rb (rwb?) as a necessity or do you think that position is covered between Rafael, Valencia and Young?

I know he had a poor last season but I've personally always rated Valencia and I think he could be made for that position, where first and foremost you need to be a physical engine - strong, fast and fit

Add to that the rake of RBs playing in the U21 (Janko, Vermijl (sp?) and Velera (sp?)) I think we've got it covered well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Personally im happy Vermaelen is apparently going elsewhere but it does leave us only 2 weeks to get other players in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

United don't need 4 new signings this summer. We have no CL so can operate with a smaller squad. A CM and CB are necessities. That plus shaw and Herrera would be a great start to LVG's reign.

But a cm, a cb, Shaw and Herrera is 4 signings right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Happy but not super excited with our dealings.

Shaw and Herrera are two great additions to our squad, and I believe we'll get at least a CB in over the next 2 weeks, meaning we're well on track to achieve my minimum expectations. Wouldn't be shocked with a CM either, and reckon there could be at least one deal which hits us out of nowhere, in terms of a name no one saw coming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Was just wondering what United fans think of their summer business so far?

Our summer business has been very poor, we desperately need some new players and they should have been brought in before this point. Best case scenario now is that we buy late in the window and hope the players can bed in quickly, but there was time and money there to have had our business done by now, to allow the new signings to have a pre-season with the team.

We made two good signings early but they alone do not come close to sorting our problems, and as such we are way short of where we need to be.

The question asked was our business so far, and so far I am very disappointed, and do not understand why LVG is getting such an easy ride on the matter.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Happy but not super excited with our dealings.

Shaw and Herrera are two great additions to our squad, and I believe we'll get at least a CB in over the next 2 weeks, meaning we're well on track to achieve my minimum expectations. Wouldn't be shocked with a CM either, and reckon there could be at least one deal which hits us out of nowhere, in terms of a name no one saw coming.

Lee Catermole? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kstand

I don't understand why people are frustrated with our dealings - since Christmas we have added Mata, Shaw and Herrara - top class signings.
    We have had a world cup which always slows things down and pushes business back - on top of that we have a new manager who had to assess the squad he had - he didn't even take a break after the WC, went straight on tour and has had to use that time to assess the squad. They only played their last game in that Monday night, haven't really settled back into the job in Manchester yet and people are panicking.
    There's plenty of time, plenty of business to be done before this window shuts. We have NO CL football and no big game against a top side in the division until long after the window shuts. Keep calm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

But a cm, a cb, Shaw and Herrera is 4 signings right?

Sorry, the way I it read it is that we have made 2 and need to make another 4. 4 for the summer would be about right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Robson99

We should be trying to tempt someone like Jan Vertonghen to join us. Two years left on the contract, throw €40million at him.

40m for Vertonghen is nuts. There are only a couple of defenders worth tat kinda money IMO. Kompany, Things Silva and Hummels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Our business thus far has been pretty good, if we had LVG last January I'm sure he'd have had targets already lined up to fix the holes in the team. Unfortunately for us he did rather well with the Netherlands so we've not had him that long.

I have faith that he's got enough sway and pull to bring in the best players possible... given time to do so.

Robson99 wrote: »
    40m for Vertonghen is nuts. There are only a couple of defenders worth tat kinda money IMO. Kompany, Things Silva and Hummels

David Luiz :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Going for plan B after Vermaelen failed is by very definition worrying

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Personally i think Kompany is very over-rated, Was laughable at times last year the mistakes he made and other players getting the blame, Still a very good player no doubt but the English media love a player who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Just for the record, here are the fixtures until the end of the transfer window:

16 Aug Barclays Premier League Swansea City H 12:45
    24 Aug Barclays Premier League Sunderland A 16:00
    30 Aug Barclays Premier League Burnley A 12:45

Then a 2 week international break before the QPR game on Sept 14th.
    If the current squad isn't good enough to win the 3 of those games, even the toughish one away to Sunderland (8 days to prepare for), then we're in serious trouble of making the top 4 let alone challenging for the league.
    Signing players immediately is not a priority - signing quality players who will work well in the system is. And if they come an hour before the deadline closes then so be it.

Edit - looking down the list of fixtures, Everton at home on Oct 5th is the first difficult one you could say. Then Chelsea at home and City away at the end of October.
    No reason why we cant be flying by then and have any new players well bedded in. LVG has been fortunate with the fixtures for August and Septmeber.

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Personally i think Kompany is very over-rated, Was laughable at times last year the mistakes he made and other players getting the blame, Still a very good player no doubt but the English media love a player who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Kompany is class. He did make a few mistakes last season but not at a calamitous level. Playing with Demichelis doesn't help

That was insane

That was insane

Has to be some form of money laundering

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »

Kompany is one of the best center halfs to have played in the P.L.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Reedsie wrote: »
    Obviously Vermaelen was chosen by Van Gaal and his (large) team. Undoubtedly after a hell of a lot of scouting and analysis.
    There will probably be alternatives on their list and we may or may not get one. But it's highly unlikely that they will be better than the first choice.

Strange to see so many people delighted to have missed out on a genuine target.

I woukd have been delighted if we'd missed out on Failaini too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Well at least United isn't that stupid, they pay £50 million for him and then declare Di Maria is too expensive :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Thats about 31million of the queens money, given his PL experience and quality i would be happy with that considering what we payed for Shaw. Wont happen though

Benatia and Blind will do woodie.

Thats about 31million of the queens money, given his PL experience and quality i would be happy with that considering what we payed for Shaw. Wont happen though

Benatia and Blind will do woodie.

25 to 30m pounds would be a fair amount of money to pay for him . It's spurs though so we wouldn't be paying a fair amount of money so not even worth considering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Not disappointed we didn't get Vermaelen as I said from the start I didn't want him.

But I am disappointed the club aimed low and still missed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

As things stand it would be disappointing.

We need a freshness and that wont come with what we have..

Signing a CB and CM is a must imo

This sums it to be honest.right now id rate the summer 5 out of 10 due to he fact we lost so much experience at the back and still spent alot of money. Herrera could be an excellent addition, Shaw has potential but id rather wed have kept Evra and have a top class CB signed since June with that money.

I am astounded to see people saying weve had a good summer as its been poor SO FAR. We all hope the club will deliver in the next two weeks and i think anybody saying they are happy is basing it on what they will happen, not whats happened.

Signing Vidal and a really good CB would make it an excellent summer in theory but why oh why are we leaving it this late again ill never know - players need time to settle in and their ability to hit the ground running is lessened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Lads been saying it for ages, I can only hope he has Daley Blind lined up and is agreed.

I have to admit I have been disappointed thus far in how our dealings have gone as I would've thought that LvG would've brought a few players in and bombed a few out. I can now only hope that from next Monday we see a lot happening on the transfer activity front.

I note that there's still no Vidal signing today. Did our friend from JP Morgan not guarantee it would happen today. Jesus that guy is as bad, and possibly worse than Bangkok.

Have to say I'm not unhappy about Vermaelen. Another injury prone central defender is not what we needed.

As for the players who've gone these were all to be expected. Don't forget we've also lost Bebe, Macheda, Fabio, Vermilj (think he was released). That's freed up some huge wage capacity. Shaw and Herrera still leaves approx. 300k - 400k per week in wages (don't quote me on that please)

brinty wrote: »
    Vermilj (think he was released). That's freed up some huge wage capacity.

He's back! He was out on loan in Holland for 12 months. Played for the U21s last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kstand wrote: »
    I don't understand why people are frustrated with our dealings - since Christmas we have added Mata, Shaw and Herrara - top class signings.
    We have had a world cup which always slows things down and pushes business back - on top of that we have a new manager who had to assess the squad he had - he didn't even take a break after the WC, went straight on tour and has had to use that time to assess the squad. They only played their last game in that Monday night, haven't really settled back into the job in Manchester yet and people are panicking.
    There's plenty of time, plenty of business to be done before this window shuts. We have NO CL football and no big game against a top side in the division until long after the window shuts. Keep calm.

If we'd had as many signings as we have had excuses this summer I would be very happy.

If we'd had as many signings as we have had excuses this summer I would be very happy.

The point being there is still over 3 weeks left - and we are not in a hurry.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

+1 on this

Signing Vidal and a really good CB would make it an excellent summer in theory but why oh why are we leaving it this late again ill never know - players need time to settle in and their ability to hit the ground running is lessened.

I‘d totally agree. We need to spend the 70 or 80m required and get in Vidal and Hummel to have us in the mix next May. Can never see the logic in waiting till the season starts to bring in players. All players need time to settle in both on and off the pitch

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Kompany is one of the best center halfs to have played in the P.L.

Ever.

I‘d totally agree. We need to spend the 70 or 80m required and get in Vidal and Hummel to have us in the mix next May. Can never see the logic in waiting till the season starts to bring in players. All players need time to settle in both on and off the pitch

I think in fairness though, it's been a world cup year, LVG was heavily involved in that World Cup, I do genuinely believe that he wanted a bit of time to access the situation in Manchester. And rightly so, I along with everybody else had Young written off, yet in his short time with the squad LVG seems to have turned him around, this may be brief, but I'm hoping it's not, he did remarkably well with some pretty average dutch defenders and maybe he can do the same with our pretty average defenders. I think a couple more players will be brought in, and understand why everything is pretty late this season, wouldn't want him making snap decisions that would come back to haunt us later on.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

This might be an outrageous suggestion, but is there any chance Fellaini could be converted into a defender? Assuming he isn't sold, obviously.

An File wrote: »
    This might be an outrageous suggestion, but is there any chance Fellaini could be converted into a defender? Assuming he isn't sold, obviously.

I'd love to see that, there'll be feck all money for him if sold, so better if he could be used somewhere useful on the pitch.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

This sums it to be honest.right now id rate the summer 5 out of 10 due to he fact we lost so much experience at the back and still spent alot of money. Herrera could be an excellent addition, Shaw has potential but id rather wed have kept Evra and have a top class CB signed since June with that money.

I am astounded to see people saying weve had a good summer as its been poor SO FAR. We all hope the club will deliver in the next two weeks and i think anybody saying they are happy is basing it on what they will happen, not whats happened.

Again why are people surprised at this when LVG specifically said we wouldn't be signing/selling anyone for 3/4 weeks at his first press conference. He's only in the job 3 weeks now so signings were never going to be done before now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Said this a lot this time last year but you need to freshen your team every year.

Look at Madrid. European Champions but still get Kroos and rodrigeuz.

We have sat back for too long now and its been same players for past few years.

I dont want huge change but we really are in need of getting players in positons that its badly needed.

We are only 2-3 players from having serious team but cause whats needed is world class players its far more crucial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Why did we pull out of the Vermahlin race lads? Any news on Arthur's day been today or any day soon?

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Why did we pull out of the Vermahlin race lads? Any news on Arthur's day been today or any day soon?

Apparently Arsenal wanted a Utd player in exchange and Utd weren't willing to agree to that.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement