Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Why did we pull out of the Vermahlin race lads? Any news on Arthur's day been today or any day soon?

Cause Arsenal wanted a swap deal, apparently for Smalling. Didn't want a straight deal either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Reedsie

An File wrote: »
    This might be an outrageous suggestion, but is there any chance Fellaini could be converted into a defender? Assuming he isn't sold, obviously.

I'd imagine it would be Carrick if anyone, depending on what else happens in the transfer market.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Coat22 wrote: »
    Does anyone seriously believe we can aspire to a top 4 finish, playing 3 centre backs with Jones, Smalling, Evans and maybe one other CB?

I haven’t seen them play yet under LVG so maybe 3-5-2 will suit these 3 players but by all accounts Smalling and Jones looked poor against Liverpool and Evans is very injury prone. What will the alternatives be? VG has signalled that Blackett and Keane are not there yet so hard to see them considered.

I’d say Smalling has been told he’s not in VGs first team plans but I’d love to know who is in his plans if we can afford to turn our nose up at Varmaelen.

You'd be better off watching a replay of the game, because the accounts you've been listening too are giving you a very distorted view.

In possession all three were extremely poor in the first half. It improved in the second half, but that might have been down to Liverpool pressing less.

When defending the problem was team shape and how they worked together. The the back five were sitting back in a flat line all game and so the 3 CBs were getting zero protection and constantly being made defend when facing their own goal. All the CBs suffered because of that. The only reason Liverpool didn't score more was because their centre-forward was shocking and in the second half they opted to not even bother playing a CF once Lambert went off.

That problem comes down to how the team has been set up and how well, or not, the coaches have managed to implement their system.

To pick out Smalling and Jones as the problem in that defence in that game is completely wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

The question asked was our business so far, and so far I am very disappointed, and do not understand why LVG is getting such an easy ride on the matter.

Because he's only been in the job 3 weeks

Said this a lot this time last year but you need to freshen your team every year.

Look at Madrid. European Champions but still get Kroos and rodrigeuz.

We have sat back for too long now and its been same players for past few years.

I dont want huge change but we really are in need of getting players in positons that its badly needed.

We are only 2-3 players from having serious team but cause whats needed is world class players its far more crucial

Madrid's transfer policy is a mess. Of all the teams' who's buying strategy we should be taking inspiration from, Madrid would be near the bottom of the list.

Taok wrote: »
    Because he's only been in the job 3 weeks

Two of which have been over in the US on a 5 match tour.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

Pro. F wrote: »
    Madrid's transfer policy is a mess. Of all the teams' who's buying strategy we should be taking inspiration from, Madrid would be near the bottom of the list.

I feel we're on the other end of the spectrum to be honest. A happy medium like Chelsea did this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

It's true, LVG is getting too easy a ride. Someone grab the pitchforks, I'll light the torches.

LVG OUT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

beakerjoe wrote: »
    Hes not 100% safe of staying yet, I could see him going TBH

I doubt it.

LVG said he would be speaking to players after the Liverpool game about their future and advising those who may not get game time that they may need to move on.

So assuming that those discussions have taken place, Kagawa seems to have been given the impression that he's not one of the ones being shown the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

It's true, LVG is getting too easy a ride. Someone grab the pitchforks, I'll light the torches.

LVG OUT!!

Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Adox made a great point pre summer. Expectation management was going to be a key factor this summer.

We got two early big signings in the bag and we expected the flood gates to open up

Still time left to work something up... But remember without CL football this year we can make good use of the January window.

Possible LVG will go with what he has and then see come January again with a re evaluation. The likes of Strootman could come in then along with a CB. Also the benefit of players having a few months in competitive play and better assess a signing.

Well done.

Thanks bro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

LVG OUT!!

Maximus
    Kate agrees ;)

ibmHHTqz1Hzvko.jpg

I feel we're on the other end of the spectrum to be honest. A happy medium like Chelsea did this season.

We can't know what end of the spectrum we are currently on because, with two managers in two summers, we have had about a month to see our current transfer policy (ie LVG's one) in operation.

Fergie is gone a year. Since then...
    • We've broken our transfer record
    • 4 of the clubs 8 most expensive signings have come since he left (the other 4 date from as long as 13 years ago)
    • We've signed the most expensive teenager in football history
    • We've broken our own records by signing Rooney to a new contract
    • And let's not forget we're on our second manager

By all accounts our spending isn't finished this year and many expect we will break our transfer record yet again.

We're certainly not sitting back. And we do need a player or two. But I don't agree with any of the 'splash the cash' merchants. Or the 'hurry up' merchants.
    If the right players are there for the right price I think we will get them.

Regarding defenders there can't be too many available. We fought it out with Barcelona for one and lost. Both Barcelona and Man Utd know what is available.

• Advertisement

TheDoc wrote: »
    Possible LVG will go with what he has and then see come January again with a re evaluation.

I would be happy to be quoted as saying that would be a terrible mistake on his part.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I think Chelsea actually made money this transfer window. Has that happened before under Abramovich?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,754 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

Kirby wrote: »
    I think Chelsea actually made money this transfer window. Has that happened before under Abramovich?

50 million for Luiz, best transfer ever (from Chelseas POV)

Reedsie wrote: »
    Fergie is gone a year. Since then...

[*]We've broken our transfer record
    [*]4 of the clubs 8 most expensive signings have come since he left (the other 4 date from as long as 13 years ago)

If my cars engine is broken then it doesn't matter if I spend thousands on a fancy stereo system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

He's a decent player and a lot better than what some pundits would have you believe but he isn't even worth half that figure. Crazy money. He wasn't even a starter at Chelsea. I don't know what PSG were thinking.

Still, Smalling, Jones and Evans don't exactly inspire confidence. Smalling is a weird one. I was so sure he would be a success at United but I think he was actually a better player three years ago than he is now. Gone backwards. How bizarre is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Morzadec wrote: »
    Was just wondering what United fans think of their summer business so far? Some Liverpool fans (myself probably included) are a bit underwhelmed by our business this summer, and are getting a bit angsty that with the season around the corner we still haven't signed a striker or any player of noted class.

The difference being, Liverpool have had the same management team in place all year. So they had that time to spend looking at the team, deciding where they needed new players, and identifying who those players would be. The world cup
    throws off all timetables, but Liverpool could have had their list of targets ready as soon as the transfer window opened and started working on them.
    United's manager started last month. He approved two deals that were well advanced, and then put everything on hold while he looked at the squad. Liverpool and other teams have had months to decide who to buy, United have had weeks.
    Which hasn't stopped some posters on here running around with their heads on fire as if the transfer window had already closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

We've sorted the LB spot. We've started to address the CM issue. We've started to clear out some of the players who we'd have groaned about seeing on the teamsheet (Rio, Evra, Buttner, Bebe, Giggs). I'm fairly confident that CB and CM will be fully sorted out in due course. Van Gaal has already said he wants defenders. The man clearly seems to know what he is doing

Above all else, our most important signing of the summer is Van Gaal. The players seem happy. The preparation for the season has gone very well. He is tactically excellent.

The notion that he has been getting an "easy ride" so far is totally and utterly laughable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Obviously Vermaelen was chosen by Van Gaal and his (large) team. Undoubtedly after a hell of a lot of scouting and analysis.
    There will probably be alternatives on their list and we may or may not get one. But it's highly unlikely that they will be better than the first choice.

Who says he was the first choice? :confused:
    he's the first of the defenders we've been linked with to have been sold, doesn't mean he was first choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

If my cars engine is broken then it doesn't matter if I spend thousands on a fancy stereo system.

What a terrible analogy.

To use your analogy I think many want the car fixed and want it fixed before work tomorrow. They don't want to hear if the right parts are in or if the right mechanics are on duty. Just fix it, they want it driving tomorrow. An attitude which of course could lead to problems down the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Jones and smalling could show big improvement with a run of games. Remember most people didn't rate evans until he had to fill in for an extended period. It would be great to see a top class cb and cm join but if not i'd prefer to see them carry on with what's there til january rather than get a couple of panic buys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭Tippex

An File wrote: »
    This might be an outrageous suggestion, but is there any chance Fellaini could be converted into a defender? Assuming he isn't sold, obviously.

Think of the number of peno's he would give away with those elbows of his.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

I4G7SJl.jpg

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Jones and smalling could show big improvement with a run of games. Remember most people didn't rate evans until he had to fill in for an extended period. It would be great to see a top class cb and cm join but if not i'd prefer to see them carry on with what's there til january rather than get a couple of panic buys

Evans was very impressive when he was at Sunderland he had shown more than Smalling and Jones had. For me he is standout first choice.

Smalling and Jones have barely improved if they have improved at all at the club. I saw Jones at 17 get man of the match battling against Drogba. Now all he does is jump around trying different ways to injure himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭The Gibzilla

To use your analogy I think many want the car fixed and want it fixed before work tomorrow. They don't want to hear if the right parts are in or if the right mechanics are on duty. Just fix it, they want it driving tomorrow. An attitude which of course could lead to problems down the road.

I have a motorbike, how does this work now??

• Advertisement

You're f**ked anyway :D

Does your motorbike have a one cylinder TC23 engine that can't pass anything and runs out of gas after 60 minutes?

If so, then you need to buy a number 10 I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭Coat22

You'd be better off watching a replay of the game, because the accounts you've been listening too are giving you a very distorted view.

In possession all three were extremely poor in the first half. It improved in the second half, but that might have been down to Liverpool pressing less.

When defending the problem was team shape and how they worked together. The the back five were sitting back in a flat line all game and so the 3 CBs were getting zero protection and constantly being made defend when facing their own goal. All the CBs suffered because of that. The only reason Liverpool didn't score more was because their centre-forward was shocking and in the second half they opted to not even bother playing a CF once Lambert went off.

That problem comes down to how the team has been set up and how well, or not, the coaches have managed to implement their system.

To pick out Smalling and Jones as the problem in that defence in that game is completely wrong.

You’re right I should (and will this weekend) catch the replay of the game but its funny that the same 2 keep getting signalled out in match reports. For example:

From The Guardian:

“A second-half revival sparked by their captain for the evening, Wayne Rooney, was enough for United to win the International Champions Cup but as Van Gaal and his new charges departed for home, he was left with plenty to ponder.
    While Rooney’s display was encouraging along with Ander Herrera and Ashley Young, the performances of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling, both terrorised in the first half by Raheem Sterling, were a cause of real concern with the Premier League kick-off under two weeks away.
    Both were ponderous and looked to be lacking in confidence playing in the Dutchman’s preferred 3-5-2 formation”

Smalling has been 4 seasons at the club and maybe its his own fault he hasn’t been given great opportunities. Jones just doesn’t seem to be going anywhere either. People are kidding themselves if they think we can get near the top 4 with these 2 forming part of a back 3. Varmaelen while not being the answer would have been a significant improvement.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Smalling and Jones have barely improved if they have improved at all at the club. I saw Jones at 17 get man of the match battling against Drogba. Now all he does is jump around trying different ways to injure himself.

facepalm1.jpg

You’re right I should (and will this weekend) catch the replay of the game but its funny that the same 2 keep getting signalled out in match reports. For example:

From The Guardian:

“A second-half revival sparked by their captain for the evening, Wayne Rooney, was enough for United to win the International Champions Cup but as Van Gaal and his new charges departed for home, he was left with plenty to ponder.
    While Rooney’s display was encouraging along with Ander Herrera and Ashley Young, the performances of Phil Jones and Chris Smalling, both terrorised in the first half by Raheem Sterling, were a cause of real concern with the Premier League kick-off under two weeks away.
    Both were ponderous and looked to be lacking in confidence playing in the Dutchman’s preferred 3-5-2 formation”

Smalling has been 4 seasons at the club and maybe its his own fault he hasn’t been given great opportunities. Jones just doesn’t seem to be going anywhere either. People are kidding themselves if they think we can get near the top 4 with these 2 forming part of a back 3. Varmaelen while not being the answer would have been a significant improvement.

Lol at believing what is written in that match report.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

wouldn't say that now. he is rated very highly imo and rightly so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I would be happy to be quoted as saying that would be a terrible mistake on his part.

People drastically underestimated this mans confidence in his ability to mould players, take them our of their pre-defined box and shape them into what is needed for his team.

Make no doubt about it, this man is a coach, not a manager, and will be activitely looking to improve every member of the squad, and will have good ideas and plans for most of the players, in how he wants them to develop.

Lol at believing what is written in that match report.

Apologies its not from The Sun

If Smalling plays 20+ games this season I’ll go naked in Brown Thomas window.

Jones might get a few more but I can guarantee he’ll give away at least 3 penalties before Christmas and this board will be calling for new CBs in January

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Jones might get a few more but I can guarantee he’ll give away at least 3 penalties before Christmas and this board will be calling for new CBs in January

We won't let you forget that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

facepalm1.jpg

What point are you trying to make here with that pic?. Phil jones has not improved since he came to the club. Its not an opinion, its a fact.he is very clumsy, dives in and has a habit of injuring himself as well as team mates and opponents.

We signed a hard work horse defender and his courage is to be commended, but at the moment he is as raw as he was when we signed him. Maybe Van Gaal and his coaching staff can finally sort him out but please dont belittle somebodys view on him (as that whay gif based replies are normally designed to do) when said view is spot on and realistic.

I can guarantee he’ll ... and this board will be ...

Claims like this almost never bear fruit for the claimant.
    Its not an opinion, its a fact.

And then this. Jesus wept, I think I need to take a break.

He probably will play that amount of games, not that im happy about that.

What point are you trying to make here with that pic?. Phil jones has not improved since he came to the club. Its not an opinion, its a fact.he is very clumsy, dives in and has a habit of injuring himself as well as team mates and opponents.

We signed a hard work horse defender and his courage is to be commended, but at the moment he is as raw as he was when we signed him. Maybe Van Gaal and his coaching staff can finally sort him out but please dont belittle somebodys view on him (as that whay gif based replies are normally designed to do) when said view is spot on and realistic.

I personally feel his versatility has hurt his development. That and the injuries.

Stick him at CB and keep him there.

he played 25 last season and now we have no vidic, Ferdinand or evra so id say he will def play more than 20 games this season

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Evans is the only one of the 3 with confidence on the ball. He'll try the odd risky pass that may go astray but his turns and intelligence is normally spot on with attackers bearing down on him. Jones is good with the ball at his feet but more often than not settles for the pass back to the keeper too easily. Smalling has had a bad touch and bad decision making for a while now though a lot of that is on the right. Somewhat excusable but not for much longer imo.

bangkok wrote: »
    he played 25 last season and now we have no vidic, Ferdinand or evra so id say he will def play more than 20 games this season

Ah yes but last season we had the small matter of the CL - that was 10 extra games we won't have this year. He played mainly to keep Rio pr Rafael fresh for these games.

Theoretically he should have more oppotunity this year with the above gone and playing 3 central defenders but I reckon VG has seen his limitations.

Have booked my spot in the window for sometime in February if wrong!!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I don't think Jones has the technical ability to fit into van Gaal's system. He is the one most at risk IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Ive just always thought there will be a deadline push for vlaar which i wouldnt mind cause at the minute hes better than smalling or jones are.

Ah yes but last season we had the small matter of the CL - that was 10 extra games we won't have this year. He played mainly to keep Rio pr Rafael fresh for these games.

Theoretically he should have more oppotunity this year with the above gone and playing 3 central defenders but I reckon VG has seen his limitations.

Have booked my spot in the window for sometime in February if wrong!!:cool:

but we also got knocked in the 3rd round of the fa cup so if we have a good run this year you would imagine that means more playing time

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement