Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

yabadabado wrote: »
    Blind and Benatia would cost around 45m going by the reports much better use of the money than 36m on Caudardo.Those to would solve a few of our problems.

Honestly don't think signing one stops the other. Expecting Cuadardo, A CB and a CM right now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Honestly don't think signing one stops the other. Expecting Cuadardo, A CB and a CM right now....
    I know it doesn't necessarily stop it but I would rather the main problems were solved and then go after the players for positions were we dont need reinforcements so badly.
    Be crazy to go into the season having spent 30+ on Cuadardo without having CB/CM sorted.
    Blind for 17m is a brilliant deal ,can cover 3 positions where we are weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Blind and Benatia would cost around 45m going by the reports much better use of the money than 36m on Caudardo.Those to would solve a few of our problems.

Seen a few people say Blind wud be ideal, but with Shaw signed im not so sure we need both-we need cover there for sure but £17m to have a lad sit on the bench isnt much sense when we have 4 or 5 other squad gaps to fill also.

I see it being said he can play 3 positions but he played in CM during the world cup and he was ineffective there. Aint ever seen him play CB so while he would be a great squad addition, i think in terms of first 11 he would be direct competition for Shaw.

In saying that id be happy enough if we signed him :o

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

The money being quoted for Caudardo is insane, £36m wud take our spending to £130m this year yet there still wud be at least 3 massive gaps in our first 11.

Crazy money alright. How can he be worth close to what Mata went for I do not know. He was good in the world cup but not 36m good.

I think at least 2, possibly 3, out of Strootman, Blind, Clasie and Depay will be signed before the end of the window. This is me speculating now based on United's needs, the players quality and the fact that LVG knows them inside out. I would be very happy with 3 of them.

I know it doesn't necessarily stop it but I would rather the main problems were solved and then go after the players for positions were we dont need reinforcements so badly.
    Be crazy to go into the season having spent 30+ on Cuadardo without having CB/CM sorted.
    Blind for 17m is a brilliant deal ,can cover 3 positions where we are weak.

If he is available and LVG thinks the team needs him, I would rather we get him now than wait longer and risk not getting him. Don't care what order signings come in once they come.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Seen a few people say Blind wud be ideal, but with Shaw signed im not so sure we need both-we need cover there for sure but £17m to have a lad sit on the bench isnt much sense when we have 4 or 5 other squad gaps to fill also.

I see it being said he can play 3 positions but he played in CM during the world cup and he was ineffective there. Aint ever seen him play CB so while he would be a great squad addition, i think in terms of first 11 he would be direct competition for Shaw.

In saying that id be happy enough if we signed him :o

He has moved to and played as a cm though after starting out at left back, could play at no 6 for United and move to another position if needed.

Edit: His role at Ajax would suit United when they go 4-3-3. The face De Boer is a Van Gaal type in how he likes the game played would also help him settle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

It's got to the stage now where I'm starting to panic. 1 week to go till the start of the season and no signs of anything happen, hopefully a lot of work being done behind the scenes. Got to the stage now where I would be happy with any midfielder. De Jong would do a job, or that Kramer (cue seinfield gifs!) lad from monchengladbach, if he's good enough for a German World Cup squad he definitely do for us. Any other viable alternatives to Vidal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

It will be an absolute pisser of a transfer window(again) if there isn't a CB and CM signed by the end of the month,no matter who else is bought I think we are on a hiding to nothing if both those positions aren't strengthened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/arturo-vidal-manchester-united-open-talks-over-45m-move-for-juventus-midfielder-reports-30493836.html

I've said all along that we are signing Vidal. The offer was made today...45 bar sterling. It's on like Donkey Kong.

Thought United were signing Vidal today according to your virtual twitter friend.

user2011 wrote: »

Linked with him a few days ago though appears southampton bound. Apparently £14m is what sporting are looking for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Linked with him a few days ago though appears southampton bound. Apparently £14m is what sporting are looking for him.

I'd say if we are in then one would assume he would choose us over Southampton, looks a solid if unspectacular signing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,736 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

What's does iirc stand for lads?

A CB who can play LB, bound to see links to a player like Rojo after refusing to go with a swap for Vermaelen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Unearthly

If I remember correctly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

If I recall correctly, I think

If I recall correctly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

http://bit.ly/1kCnDur

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Christ lads. I'm no fan of celtic more than any club whose players I know but some of the attitude here is terrible.

• Advertisement

Christ lads. I'm no fan of celtic more than any club whose players I know but some of the attitude here is terrible.

Huh?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

lkrwtf.gif

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Somebody has multiple threads in multiple tabs! :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

http://m.independent.ie/sport/soccer/transfer-window/arturo-vidal-manchester-united-open-talks-over-45m-move-for-juventus-midfielder-reports-30493836.html

I've said all along that we are signing Vidal. The offer was made today...45 bar sterling. It's on like Donkey Kong.

You are consistent if nothing else! Hope you and your buddies are right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Are they a bit light with only Shaw at left back, who is still pretty raw.?
    Evra, Buttner and Fabio have all left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The league is beginning next week

Young seems to be cover for LWB as things stand but think we will be after a CB who can cover it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

An File wrote: »
    Somebody has multiple threads in multiple tabs! :D

What! I just wanted people to know that I'm not a fna of Celtic, and I think Man Utd fans are in crisis.....

I'm an idiot and An File knows why :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

And ill be there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Yes, can't wait to see LVG on the touchline and to eventually see LVGs first interview with Geoff Shreevs.

Hes bound to say something silly and get the death stare

around the 4:15 mark

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I have seen some strange comments floating about like, "a week to go and nothing has happened"

For anyone who has missed the summers goings on and is under the impression the club has been totally dormant

* David Moyes has left the club, along with many of his coaching staff
    * Louis Van Gaal, a very well respected, experienced manager with an ego to handle the job has been appointed.
    * Ryan Giggs has been made assistant manager, to help with LVG understanding the club maybe, no idea why else.
    * Older players like Vidic, Rio and Evra have moved on
    * Buttner has been sold
    * Valencia has signed a new contract
    * The hottest young left back talent in England has been signed with the potential to be world class and sort that position for a long time.
    * A brilliant central midfielder has been signed and looks to be slotting straight in
    * A system is being tried and tested which will theoretically get the best out of Mata, Rooney and RVP (thats a good thing)
    * A new kit deal has been signed which is ****ting all over any other clubs sponsorship to the tune of £750m
    * Some under performing players like Young have shown they may be useful in the new system.
    * The team played some attractive football and stayed unbeaten while winning its pre season tournament against some good teams.
    * The manager has said he wanted to look closely at his squad on that tour and will make decisions on who will stay and go quickly now he is back.
    * He has openly stated the need for defenders regardless of anything else.

So, as you can see, some stuff has been happening, the club did not just go on one long holiday over the summer. The bullet points are by no means that exclusive goings on of the summer, but they give you enough to see that "something is happening"

Relax, the manager knows what he is doing, he has been around the block a few times with the top teams. He is not David Moyes, he is not possibly in over his head with this, he will get the players in or he will have seen something he likes and wants to place faith in from the younger guys at the club, like Blackett, like Keane for example. That is something he has done in the past at clubs, look at the likes of Muller, Badstuber etc. The fans of Bayern would surely have been demanding bigger names and more experienced players for their team, but the manager decided a course of action and it paid off.

While I would be worried about going into the season with the current squad, for sheer lack of numbers at the back if nothing else I would also be excited to see what Van Gaal can get from the squad. I also dont think we will be going into the season with the current squad, it seems pretty clear there will be a couple of departures and a couple of additions.

Im out of steam and Ray Donovan is calling.

Oh no :(

Now we will get a bullet point counter of all the things that were done badly or should have happened by now.

Once its not a Power Point presentation I suppose it will be okay

2 bits from Graeme Bailey earlier - never even thought of the first aspect until now though i reckon its not fully accurate.

"@GraemeBailey: Man United covering themselves over Vermaelen by saying they pulled out, strange they did that only after learning of Vermaelen's decision.."

"@GraemeBailey: Fiorentina have confirmed Juan Cuadrado can leave the club if 'right' offer is made. Italian sources believe he is bound for Man United."

2 bits from Graeme Bailey earlier - never even thought of the first aspect until now though i reckon its not fully accurate.

"@GraemeBailey: Man United covering themselves over Vermaelen by saying they pulled out, strange they did that only after learning of Vermaelen's decision.."

"@GraemeBailey: Fiorentina have confirmed Juan Cuadrado can leave the club if 'right' offer is made. Italian sources believe he is bound for Man United."

Also said this: Sporting Lisbon chairman Bruno de Carvalho insists they are yet to receive an offer for William Carvalho but confirmed bids for Marcos Rojo.

#RojON

Or not

• Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Also said this: Sporting Lisbon chairman Bruno de Carvalho insists they are yet to receive an offer for William Carvalho but confirmed bids for Marcos Rojo.

#RojON

Or not

Seems the interest for carvalho is dead would that mean we could bid less than the buyout clause?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

Blind and Cuadrado by this time next week I hope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Blind and Cuadrado by this time next week I hope.

Blind on
    Cuadrado off
    Hummels in
    Kagawa out
    Vidal god only knows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

As things stand:

2014-08-05_Manchester-United_Formation.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    As things stand:

Hopefully Wilson is giving a chance next year too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Hopefully Wilson is giving a chance next year too.

No space for him as things stand, I would be fine with Hernandez dropping out if it meant Wilson was developed more, but with the lack of games this season I just don't think he would get enough action. If a good loan can be sorted for him that would be ideal as staying with the reserves for another year would not be much more help imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

As things stand:

If we're going with as things stand and on current form I'd have Young on the right wing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

kryogen wrote: »
    No space for him as things stand, I would be fine with Hernandez dropping out if it meant Wilson was developed more, but with the lack of games this season I just don't think he would get enough action. If a good loan can be sorted for him that would be ideal as staying with the reserves for another year would not be much more help imo

One things for sure no better man than Van Gaal to help his development whatever's needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

So in the papers weve bid £55 mill for DiMaria.

We want Alex Song also but thats the sun so pinch of salt

Cuadrado is flying in for talks with us according too Marca

The Metro saying Reus will sign a new deal ending Uniteds hopes of signing him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

So is this Arturo's Day?

Again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,461 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

From a post on that Reddit page linked previously, it is suggested that Fiorentina and Juventus have placed a deadline of August 15th on Cuadrado and Vidal respectively to stay or go.

Is that CL registration deadline or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭Hococop

Its currently 22:21 in Honolulu which means Vidal will have to be signed in the next hour and 40 minutes before Friday fully ends around the world, clock is ticking ;):D

That's way too much for Di Maria imo, he's a class player but Utd shouldn't spend that sort of money on him.

Is Blind not more of a wide player also? Or does/can he play centre back? That signing doesn't seem like it would address the issues in the squad to me.

Is Blind not more of a wide player also? Or does/can he play centre back? That signing doesn't seem like it would address the issues in the squad to me.

I've seen that Blind can play CM, CB and LB, so strikes me he addresses ALL the issues in the squad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

As things stand:

Some great attacking options in that line up tbf.
    Still very weak at the back though and the cover is flimsy at best. Despite that with the force up Utd have up front it would be enough to outscore the majority of epl sides.

Apparently we have "cooled interest" in Hummels now according to the local papers in Manchester.seems to be the running theme all summer.

Guess it sounds better than no value!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement