Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Rooney even got to sit in a fire truck! Great day for the team ;)

article-0-1FE6ECCC00000578-173_634x340.jpg

He's very colour coordinated there, red fire engine, red jersey and abig red head on him, you'd know well he's from Irish stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Apparently were playing 352 tonight with De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Mata, Shaw, Rooney and Welbeck.

Is this the start of Valencia at RWB again? Over Rafael is strange too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Apparently were playing 352 tonight with De Gea, Smalling, Jones, Evans, Valencia, Fletcher, Herrera, Mata, Shaw, Rooney and Welbeck.

Whats the general consensus on the centre backs at the club? I would have thought Utd were in the market for at least two top class centre halves?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Could simply be he's giving Val a chance to prove himself while he doesn't need to do that for Raf...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭redbaron_99

if we start the season with the current squad, plus Vermaelen and De Vrij, would people be happy with that and view it as a successful summer?

I'd be... content. Not happy, but not entirely pissed off. Technically we would have 6 centre backs, but Vermealen can also cover at LB. So, I would be ok with our defensive situation.

The problem with midfield remains: Carrick is 33 and is already out injured for a few months. It means we're heaping pressure onto Herrera to step in as the main man. That won't be easy playing alongside Fletcher or Cleverley.

With a midfield like that, we'll still struggle to control games and keep possession against good opposition. Best we could hope for is 4th. Maybe a domestic cup.

Fail to add to the current squad and we court disaster. I'll remind you of what happened away to Stoke last season. A repeat of that and we could well end up in 7th yet again.

An easy way to avoid such situations would be to spend money that we have, on some top players for the defence and midfield. I won't be holding my breath though.

Fescue wrote: »
    Whats the general consensus on the centre backs at the club? I would have thought Utd were in the market for at least two top class centre halves?

Vermalean looks like he's on the way. With him and maybe one more I'd be happy enough. I'd imagine keane will be promoted. If LVG wants to player 3 at the back though I'd want another brought in.

RB with 2 cb is very different to 3 cbs. Interested to see how val performs in that though I think that is rafaels best role, better than in a flat back 4

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Fescue

Vermalean looks like he's on the way. With him and maybe one more I'd be happy enough. I'd imagine keane will be promoted. If LVG wants to player 3 at the back though I'd want another brought in.

I suppose there is a long way to go in the transfer window but perhaps this window is too early for LVG, January and next summer will give him an opportunity to mould the squad how he wants.

I'd expect he'll bring a number of young players through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

The only way I would be happy is if at minimum 1 more CM is brought in regardless of the 2/3 defensive additions needed. Imagine if Herrera doesn't hit the ground running/takes time to settle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

that team, up against City, Arsenal and the like, would give you nightmares.

the sad thing is that as it stands, you realistically only really have RVP to come into it, along with Rafael.

• Advertisement

De Gea, Smalling, Hummels, Evans, Rafeal, Pogba, Herrera, Mata, Shaw, Rooney and Van Persie.

What a difference a couple of names can make.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Mongo

Surely with the same personnel you would be better playing with Smalling, Jones, Evans and Shaw with Fletch and Herrera in front of them, Valencia, Mata and Welbeck ahead of them and then Rooney up top? Seems more balanced to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Mongo wrote: »
    Surely with the same personnel you would be better playing with Smalling, Jones, Evans and Shaw with Fletch and Herrera in front of them, Valencia, Mata and Welbeck ahead of them and then Rooney up top? Seems more balanced to me?

Thats why we pay LVG the big bucks, he sees things others don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Mongo wrote: »

Other than the fact that Smalling is poison at RB. Him covering the right side of CB and Evans the left with Jones allowed to move into midfield sounds very appealing imo. Raf would be better but the fact that Dirk Kuyt looked good in the RWB role in the WC would lead me to believe Valo would do well enough there being more athletic and his defensive lack of ability wouldn't be a problem with Smalling behind him. Would prefer Nani playing the Robben role instead of Welbeck but I don't mind Welbeck cutting in from a wide forward position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

What time is kick off in gmt time zone for tonight's game

What time is kick off in gmt time zone for tonight's game

I think 4 AM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Manutd_4life

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I think 4 AM

Why do u think. There's so many different times for kick off on loads of websites. Does anyone know for sure officially what time is kick off

Why do u think. There's so many different times for kick off on loads of websites. Does anyone know for sure officially what time is kick off

It's 4:06 AM to be exact.

4.05AM kick off.
    After seeing that starting line-up, I would say Woody's phone will start ringing at approximately 5.50AM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,668 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lads just to say MLS games are notorious for kicking of late so be prepared, just incase its the same for this friendly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

What's up with the 6 minutes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,241 ✭✭✭Vic Vinegar

4.05AM kick off.
    After seeing that starting line-up, I would say Woody's phone will start ringing at approximately 5.50AM.

It's not an official line up though is it? it's speculation on the part of one journo (who works for the People)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

7 hours till kick off!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

7 hours till kick off!

Think time for the nap! going to be tough to get up for the match

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

what about a 4-3-3 formation where Rooney, RVP, and Mata are our front 3 attackers and theres no rigid system where one stays right one up front and on on the left, all are number 10s and all interchange with each other, no such thing as striker, those guys are attackers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

How are people planning on watching the match?

I don't want to subscribe to MUTV (just because I'll probably end up watching too much of it every day).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

v3ttel wrote: »

I don't want to subscribe to MUTV (just because I'll probably end up watching too much of it every day).

I'll probably use a special recipe ;)

what about a 4-3-3 formation where Rooney, RVP, and Mata are our front 3 attackers and theres no rigid system where one stays right one up front and on on the left, all are number 10s and all interchange with each other, no such thing as striker, those guys are attackers

sounds good. but who are the three midfielders?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Fox Sports is showing it in the US so there should be plenty of "rivers" knocking about ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Please no match thread for meaningless friendlies anyway, leave that kind of carry on to others....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

KevIRL wrote: »
    Please no match thread for meaningless friendlies anyway, leave that kind of carry on to others....

Be doing well to hit 50 posts anyway considering the time too. I'm sure this thread can take the hit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Don't worry, you won't, after a few days it's nothing but repeats, great to have for the friendlies though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭Too Tough To Die

What time is this match?

Sure give us a lineup there.

am i right in saying that Van Gaal didnt play 3 center back in every game at the world cup?

based on the bigger games anyway, this is how you'd expect us to line up assuming we sign 2 more players. i honestly think Valencia is going to be first choice wing back.

DDG
    ----Smalling---New Signing---Evans----
    Valencia
    Shaw
    Herrera----New signing

Mata

Rooney

RVP

unless we are adding two top class players in there which i dont think is going to happen, i just cannot get excited about that team when it comes to first 11 quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭weisses

am i right in saying that Van Gaal didnt play 3 center back in every game at the world cup?

based on the bigger games anyway, this is how you'd expect us to line up assuming we sign 2 more players. i honestly think Valencia is going to be first choice wing back.

To the best of my knowledge he only played this system to compensate for the poor midfield ... He wasn't a fan of the 5 -3 -2 before the WC, don't know his views on it now though

weisses wrote: »
    To the best of my knowledge he only played this system to compensate for the poor midfield ... He wasn't a fan of the 5 -3 -2 before the WC, don't know his views on it now though

well thats sorted then, we are playing it for the entire season.

If anyones interested.

Jones up front?

Edit: Seems he's saying Tony not rooney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

De Gea

Smalling
    Jones
    Evans

----Rafael
    Shaw

Herrera
    Carrick

Mata

Rooney
    RVP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

If anyones interested.

Jones up front?

Edit: Seems he's saying Tony not rooney.

Yeah he definitely says Tony because he then says ''you don't have to hit the ball so hard, go for the corners''.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Lads, crazy prices on the official United store, I just bought the new home shirt with Mata 8 on the back for €40 delivered.

http://store.manutd.com/stores/manutd/products/kit_selector.aspx?selectorid=518

Same price for the away shirt, €26, €5 for printing and €8 for postage. Shorts and socks are cheap too. Might be an error but get the orders in and see if they will honor it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It's amazing that a premier league attacking player needs to be told how to shoot

Tony V won't last very if his form from the last two seasons keeps up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

thelad95 wrote: »
    Yeah he definitely says Tony because he then says ''you don't have to hit the ball so hard, go for the corners''.

He might even tell Tony he doesnt have to try and break a full-back's ankles with every cross either.

While he's at it he may as well tell Tony to stop showing off with his no-look crosses :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Lads, crazy prices on the official United store, I just bought the new home shirt with Mata 8 on the back for €40 delivered.

Same price for the away shirt, €26, €5 for printing and €8 for postage. Shorts and socks are cheap too. Might be an error but get the orders in and see if they will honor it.

66 beans it's telling me for the shirt alone? Am I missing something?

£40 maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

Chevrolet are legally streaming the game tonight for anyone who will be up

http://www.chevroletfc.com/en-gl/#!/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Mikeyt086 wrote: »

Normal price back now
    Good luck hope they honor it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,609 ✭✭✭weisses

well thats sorted then, we are playing it for the entire season.

difference now is that he can buy his dreamed midfield probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

What time is kick off ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

DDG
    ----Smalling---New Signing---Evans----
    Valencia
    Shaw
    Herrera----New signing

Mata

Rooney

RVP

unless we are adding two top class players in there which i dont think is going to happen, i just cannot get excited about that team when it comes to first 11 quality.

Why do you think he would put Valencia ahead of Rafael in a position that requires the player to offer creativity going forward.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement