Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Am i the only one who loves Rafael so much they don't want Cuadrado. He is a bit injury prone, he is a hot head but after his little scuffle with Tevez he instantly became my favorite player. He is like Vidic the way he would sacrifice himself to save a goal he put's in 100%. He is very good going forward, while not bad defensively it this system would allow him to get forward more and would be perfect for him. I would rather a decent rotation option to come in to battle it out with him.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I've seen that Blind can play CM, CB and LB, so strikes me he addresses ALL the issues in the squad :p

I am sure Blind will have a few offers after the world cup to get a good team and play first team football. Would United saying come on you can be the next John O Shea appeal to him, maybe not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

£55m for Di Maria is mental, Real Madrid potentially trying to shift a player on and papers think we are gonna pay about £25m over the odds. Cuadrado money being quoted is also wild.

If we are gonna sign someone I think it might come from left field similar to Herrera. Sneaky bid for Subotic and all the negotiations with Juventus were actually for Chiellini and Ogbonna.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I've seen that Blind can play CM, CB and LB, so strikes me he addresses ALL the issues in the squad :p

In the squad but not first 11. Once we signed Shaw we reduced our need for him- £17m is too expensive for a squad player, weve already got about 10 of those type of players.

Id rather we signed him above Shaw but its too late now, thats done.

Is Blind really good enough to play 20+ games as first choice CB or CM? Of course surely hed be better than Carrick at CB or Cleverly in Midfield, but signing two actual players for those positions as opposed to back up options would be more appropriate.

Nuts102 wrote: »
    I am sure Blind will have a few offers after the world cup to get a good team and play first team football. Would United saying come on you can be the next John O Shea appeal to him, maybe not.

In fairness John O'Shea played a lot of games. Realistically if he goes to any top side he will be used as utility player he is not world class in any position IMO but could do a job for us in a couple of positions.

Anyone know if he is any good at CB, I seen him a few times last year at CM and LB but not CB.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

duffman13 wrote: »
    £55m for Di Maria is mental, Real Madrid potentially trying to shift a player on and papers think we are gonna pay about £25m over the odds. Cuadrado money being quoted is also wild.
    In the squad but not first 11. Once we signed Shaw we reduced our need for him- £17m is too expensive for a squad player, weve already got about 10 of those type of players.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel in comparisons to other players in the same position and on different skill brackets, that's how much players like them are worth nowadays.

You see Luiz for 50m, Shaw for near 30m, even the likes of Fel for 27m....17m for a young but good player like Blind who can cover multiple positions isn't outlandish to me. We got Mata for 37m, so based on that, 55m for DiMaria seems about right. Prices of players have gone up drastically as of late, and I think we've just got to accept that transfer fees are what they are; if a player does a job and improves the squad, then I really don't care hugely if we overpay by a bit....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Am i the only one who loves Rafael so much they don't want Cuadrado. He is a bit injury prone, he is a hot head but after his little scuffle with Tevez he instantly became my favorite player. He is like Vidic the way he would sacrifice himself to save a goal he put's in 100%. He is very good going forward, while not bad defensively it this system would allow him to get forward more and would be perfect for him. I would rather a decent rotation option to come in to battle it out with him.

Everybody loves Rafael but there's no room for sentiment, I'd be in favour of bringing in somebody for RWB as long as CB and CM get sorted first though.
    He just can't be relied on to be fit any more.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Someone said a few days ago we are 3 players away from a team able to challenge for the title and go far in europe.

I'd say if we were to lose 3 players we could fall very close to a midtable team.

DDG, Rooney and Mata go and how good does our team look?

Gk - maybe Sam Johnstone coming through would be good enough eventually. AL and BA good back up that's it.

defense? No one to inspire confidence. We need at least one top class CB, Shaw has potential but nothing else right now.

Midfield? Herrera? Could kick on and step up, could be average, could be like anderson. Anyone else? Fletch/Carra/Clev/ - Few youth team players but always hard to judge CM players.

Attack? RVP yes for maybe 2/3 more seasons? Janz, has potential needs to fulfill? Anyone else going to score/create 20 goals a season? Kagawa maybe, after that for me it's James Wilson.

Dress it up anyway you like but we need to buy big players this window and in Jan. If strootman recovers we will probably buy him, but what happens if Roma are top in Jan and we are mid table and playing awful... Will he move?

This is a crucial season for us and one that could be a turning point. We need to buy. We needed to have bought already. We started the window well but since then nothing.

Maybe it's just me, but I feel in comparisons to other players in the same position and on different skill brackets, that's how much players like them are worth nowadays.

You see Luiz for 50m, Shaw for near 30m, even the likes of Fel for 27m....17m for a young but good player like Blind who can cover multiple positions isn't outlandish to me. We got Mata for 37m, so based on that, 55m for DiMaria seems about right. Prices of players have gone up drastically as of late, and I think we've just got to accept that transfer fees are what they are; if a player does a job and improves the squad, then I really don't care hugely if we overpay by a bit....

Depending on how much cash we have left, i'd have thrown 40-50M for Hummels and the same to Juve for Vidal if fit.

Sold - Anderson, Nani, Chico, Felliani, given Clev, and a few others til christmas to see how they go.

Fair point but Di Maria is still a little over priced when it looks like Madrid want him out according to reports. In some ways I'm probably still in the mindset of 4 years ago when I hear 40m + fees.

Blind is on odd one though he never really stood out when I seen him at Ajax. Had a good world cup and I would have thought if we were after him it would be done by now. I do think 17m is overpaying for him, 8-10 million would be a good deal for us IMO

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    Someone said a few days ago we are 3 players away from a team able to challenge for the title and go far in europe.

I'd say if we were to lose 3 players we could fall very close to a midtable team.

DDG, Rooney and Mata go and how good does our team look?

Gk - maybe Sam Johnstone coming through would be good enough eventually. AL and BA good back up that's it.

defense? No one to inspire confidence. We need at least one top class CB, Shaw has potential but nothing else right now.

Midfield? Herrera? Could kick on and step up, could be average, could be like anderson. Anyone else? Fletch/Carra/Clev/ - Few youth team players but always hard to judge CM players.

Attack? RVP yes for maybe 2/3 more seasons? Janz, has potential needs to fulfill? Anyone else going to score/create 20 goals a season? Kagawa maybe, after that for me it's James Wilson.

Dress it up anyway you like but we need to buy big players this window and in Jan. If strootman recovers we will probably buy him, but what happens if Roma are top in Jan and we are mid table and playing awful... Will he move?

This is a crucial season for us and one that could be a turning point. We need to buy. We needed to have bought already. We started the window well but since then nothing.

We are far more likely to sign three good players than sell our three best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

kryogen wrote: »
    While I would be worried about going into the season with the current squad, for sheer lack of numbers at the back if nothing else I would also be excited to see what Van Gaal can get from the squad. I also dont think we will be going into the season with the current squad, it seems pretty clear there will be a couple of departures and a couple of additions.

You should be worried about going into the season with the current squad because its about to happen. People having been saying this stuff for two months, "its pretty clear there will be at least 2 players bought", "I have no doubt there will be players coming in", ""LVG knows what hes doing there will be players coming in". But here we are with a week to go and there are no players coming in and no real sign of any about to do so.

Tom Cleverley couldn't have done any less to deserve a first team place at Manchester United yet odds are he will be starting the season there for us. How can that happen?

duffman13 wrote: »
    Fair point but Di Maria is still a little over priced when it looks like Madrid want him out according to reports. In some ways I'm probably still in the mindset of 4 years ago when I hear 40m + fees.

Blind is on odd one though he never really stood out when I seen him at Ajax. Had a good world cup and I would have thought if we were after him it would be done by now. I do think 17m is overpaying for him, 8-10 million would be a good deal for us IMO

On DiMaria, the thing is he isn't going because he's had a bad run with them or a big falling out. The factors to drive up his price outweigh those that drive it down. I'd imagine Real would be more than happy to keep him as a back up, but because they've brought in James and Bale, he's not their first choice. Same as Mata though, it doesn't take away from him being a top-level player, and I'd personally believe that if they "didn't want rid of him", his price tag would be significantly higher than the figure being touted, especially when you look at the prices Bale and James came in for.

As for Blind, while I agree it would be a good deal for us....we sold Buttner for 8m, so I believe we'd be paying significantly higher than that for Blind really. I'd say 13-15m would be the best compramise, but United tax taking it to 17 doesn't shock or surprise me.
    Depending on how much cash we have left, i'd have thrown 40-50M for Hummels and the same to Juve for Vidal if fit.

Sold - Anderson, Nani, Chico, Felliani, given Clev, and a few others til christmas to see how they go.

Wouldn't be shocked to see Vidal come in. Out of all the names discussed, he seems the closest (not, mind, that he's a guarantee in any way).

I'd have loved Hummels. Would have got a jersey on Day 1 with his name on it. But I think Dortmund are trying to hold onto players and I have a feeling they will be playing hardball. If he was available, I think there'd be massive competition. As much as I like him, I don't think he's a "Throw 40m at the club and get it done" type of player right now :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Manchester United have made a £55m bid for Real Madrid's 26-year-old midfielder Angel Di Maria. (Daily Express)
    United will look to sign former Arsenal midfielder Alex Song, 26, from Barcelona if they fail to land Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal, 27. (Daily Express)

Who makes this stuff up? That Song one is absolute nonsense, I guarantee it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

The reason Real may sell Di Maria is because they supppsedly want Falcao on loan for a season. Di Maria also linked to PSG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

Hidalgo wrote: »
    The reason Real may sell Di Maria is because they supppsedly want Falcao on loan for a season. Di Maria also linked to PSG

PSG have said he's too expensive and pulled out of any deal for him. Can't see us signing him

and I think we've just got to accept that transfer fees are what they are; if a player does a job and improves the squad, then I really don't care hugely if we overpay by a bit....

in your view we have an endless stream of cash for transfers but as i told you before multiple times, we dont.

if we go out and sign players for non priority positions, the likelyhood is that other positions are neglected. there is absolutely nothing to suggest our financial approach to transfer is as you hope or believe it is - if we overpay for players, then it lessens our ability to sign in other positions.

our reduced wage bill means we perhaps have more money to spend this summer and it means we can perhaps sign one big player (hopefully Vidal). right now, given the ineptness shown earlier in the year to let 5 defenders go at the one time, players like Di maria are 4th or 5th in the priority list.
    ElChe32 wrote: »
    PSG have said he's too expensive and pulled out of any deal for him. Can't see us signing him

didnt stop us with Shaw, when Chelsea thought the deal was crazy though i do agree with you, i cant see us signing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

But here we are with a week to go and there are no players coming in and no real sign of any about to do so.

You keep repeating stuff like this.

The reality is we've 3 weeks to go in the window, and should be able to win our opening games of the season with the players we have.

You should join kryogen in the not panicking camp, it's a far more enjoyable way to support United!

Subotic anyone not quite at Hummels level but a good player who would be easier to get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Yep - I'm still on the positivity couch....
    I like it. It reminds me of myself somewhat - It's old, but it's comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

You should be worried about going into the season with the current squad because its about to happen. People having been saying this stuff for two months, "its pretty clear there will be at least 2 players bought", "I have no doubt there will be players coming in", ""LVG knows what hes doing there will be players coming in". But here we are with a week to go and there are no players coming in and no real sign of any about to do so.

Tom Cleverley couldn't have done any less to deserve a first team place at Manchester United yet odds are he will be starting the season there for us. How can that happen?

Right, except players have come in. As pointed out in the last post

Taok wrote: »
    You should join kryogen in the not panicking camp, it's a far more enjoyable way to support United!

ive not seen one person on here panicking all summer. ive seen plenty of people discuss the current squad and say its not good enough to mount a league title push but perhaps get 4th (pretty much accepted by 90% of posters on here).

and i dont think posting about our players on an internet forum should be used in anyway shape or form when it comes to determining your support levels for the club.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I don't really think that we have a budget per se, such is the financial strength of the club.

God forbid something happened to the current squad, I'd expect the club to make whatever's necessary available in order to rebuild (e.g. £500m).

As fans we shouldn't therefore be overly concerned with overpaying for players who we clearly need. Hummels is a prime example - I would have zero issue with the club paying £40m for him. Yet I've no doubt that we'd be inundated with "ah he's only worth £30m" posts. I'd be shocked if overpaying for someone like Hummels somehow prevented us from addressing another area of chronic importance. The simple fact is that if the need is there, we can do what's required.

At the very worst i expect to start the season with at least one cb signing leaving Smalling, Jones, Evans and a new signing with Keane and Blackett back ups. We really don't know what LVG is thinking to be honest. He seems to like Evans and this season is make or break for Smalling and Jones if they are to have a future at the club. Both need to be regulars and it is a risk but i think both will come good with regular football. LVG might think Smalling and Jones have what it takes to be first choice if he does i trust him.

I don't really think that we have a budget per se, such is the financial strength of the club.

God forbid something happened to the current squad, I'd expect the club to make whatever's necessary in order to rebuild (e.g. £500m).

As fans we shouldn't therefore be overly concerned with overpaying for players who we clearly need. Hummels is a prime example - I would have zero issue with the club paying £40m for him. Yet I've no doubt that we'd be inundated with "ah he's only worth £30m" posts.

i dont think anybody would have any issues paying £40m for Hummels - a world class defender who we need.
    likewise £40m+ for Vidal - going rate for a world class player, who we need.

paying £28m for an 18year old unproven full back - over paying.
    paying £27.5m for Fellaini - over paying.
    paying £16m for Young - over paying.
    paying £20m for Jones - Over paying.
    paying £16m for Valencia - Over paying.

lets be fair here, theres a big difference between the "prime example" you have given and then 5 i have just given. Di maria would fall into the over paying categtory, as he is not a priority player. Cuadrado also aint far off that radar also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

God forbid something happened to the current squad, I'd expect the club to make whatever's necessary available in order to rebuild (e.g. £500m).

As fans we shouldn't therefore be overly concerned with overpaying for players who we clearly need. Hummels is a prime example - I would have zero issue with the club paying £40m for him. Yet I've no doubt that we'd be inundated with "ah he's only worth £30m" posts. I'd be shocked if overpaying for someone like Hummels somehow prevented us from addressing another area of chronic importance. The simple fact is that if the need is there, we can do what's required.

It's Saturday. Where's Arturo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

MagicIRL wrote: »
    Who makes this stuff up? That Song one is absolute nonsense, I guarantee it.

Can't believe song is only 26!!!!

in your view we have an endless stream of cash for transfers but as i told you before multiple times, we dont.

I'm not saying we have an endless stream of cash, but I also don't think LVG has been said "You have 75m and not a penny more." I think as it stands, he has what he needs for players, provided he can convince Woodward and the board they are necessary, and that as a club, we'd easily have plenty to cover what he needs.

I think if LVG and Woodward wanted, there could still be another 150m worth of spending, and then some sales and wage cuts to counter it. If you believe the rags, we've got a good 150m worth of purchases coming in over the next two weeks :pac:

i dont think anybody would have any issues paying £40m for Hummels - a world class defender who we need.
    likewise £40+ for Vidal - going rate for a world class player, who we need.

lets be fair here, theres a big difference between the "prime example" you have given and then 5 i have just given. Di maria would fall into the over paying categtory, as he is not a priority player. Cuadrado also aint far off that radar also.

Absolutely.

I have a major issue with us overpaying in "non core" areas or overpaying for dross.

Guys like Hummels and Vidal are desperately needed - With them, we can contend. If Woodward came out today and announced that we've just signed Vidal and Hummels for £60m and £50m respectively, I would cry with tears of joy. I couldn't care less about paying a premium for world class talent in areas where we're weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

The fee's for Young and Valencia were spot on tbf at least at the time.

There was a time where Valencia looked like a bargain at £16M.

• Advertisement

We are far more likely to sign three good players than sell our three best players.

DDG wants to go back to spain and one injury and we have a very ordinary team.

My point is our whole first team is light on quality while our overall squad is better than average.

likewise £40m+ for Vidal - going rate for a world class player, who we need.

Exactly, spend it all on high quality, not over spending on potential, we need first team players this window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,071 ✭✭✭user2011

Linked with him a few days ago though appears southampton bound. Apparently £14m is what sporting are looking for him.

I was wondering if we were linked with him at all or was this an out of the blue signing.

It's Saturday. Where's Arturo?

On his way. We bid for him yesterday. The world doesn't always work at the pace we want it to.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

kryogen wrote: »
    I have seen some strange comments floating about like, "a week to go and nothing has happened"

For anyone who has missed the summers goings on and is under the impression the club has been totally dormant

Exactly. I've seen lots of "How can UTD let this happen again, we are going into another season without the proper tansfers bing made" and "why isn't Woody doing more" "Why isn't he bidding for x,y & z"

Well Woody & the people at UTD have been doing excatly the right thing. What Woodward did with Moyes is happening under LVG. He is letting the manager examine the squad and define the players he wants and this is the correct thing to do.

Moyes came in and made an early bid for Baines and Fellaini. Its a no brainer that we needed a LB and some more bodies in MF. After that he was assessing the squad most of the transfer window.

LVG has done the same, Shaw and Herrera were grenn lit by him as they were obvious signings the squad needed, even more so with Evra wanting out and Buttner plus Ando going. He said he'd then spend three weeks evaluating the squad before he decided whether we needed anyone or not and he's done exactly that. Vermalen was attempted after the three weeks ended but Wegner didn't want him staying in the EPL. There will be more attempts by LVG before the end of the window.

The club and Woody are doing exactly the right thing and letting LVG assess and decided what the squad needs. Do people want a Chelsea type situation with players being forced onto the manager? No, we are operating correctly.

Once LVG indicates he wants a player, UTD will pursue him.

And as for that addidas deal, even as enthusiastic as you were Kryogen I don't think you made a big enough deal about it.

Its quite simply the best deal in sports history and the universe

• Adidas pay Madrird 50m a year, we get 75m
    • thats 750m over 10yrs or $1.2 billion if you prefer
    • Forbes have Liverpool currently valued at £456m. Utds kit deal alone is worth £750m
    So annually we have

£75m - Adidas kit manufacturer
    £53m - Chevrolet kit sponsor
    £20m - AON training kit sponsor
    £148m a year from kits alone.
    Sir Ed Woodward?

6jxawpq.gif

and some people still doubt him on here.

DDG wants to go back to spain and one injury and we have a very ordinary team.

No he doesn't, whats your source on this?

DDG has done nothing but express his happiness at playing for UTD and is praising the new UTD coaching staff recently.

He has two Spanish mates with him at UTD and they all look perfectly happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Jones and Valencia were bought at the going rate at the time.Also Utd had just sold their right winger for 75 million so Wigan were hardly going to let Valencia go for a small fee. Valencia had a very good first season and looked like he would develop into a 30 m plus player. Young had a year left on his contract so should have gone for much less. I think Liverpool were in the running which possibly pushed up the price. If Valencia repeated the form of his first season he would be fantastic as a wing back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

The Times and La Stampa both suggest that by next Friday we will know exactly what is happening with Vidal and Cuadrado.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

IT'S ALWAYS NEXT FRIDAY.

No he doesn't, whats your source on this?

DDG has done nothing but express his happiness at playing for UTD and is praising the new UTD coaching staff recently.

He has two Spanish mates with him at UTD and they all look perfectly happy.

He means "if DDG wanted to leave"'.

Not beyond the realms given his girlfriend's reported feelings...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

On his way. We bid for him yesterday. The world doesn't always work at the pace we want it to.

But you also had him signing last Friday. I admire your optimism, but I'll take your claims with a large pinch of salt.

• Advertisement

I think considering what Valencia has contributed to Man Utd in his time at the club, in hindsight 16m was not a bad deal.

Fellaini obviously way overpriced.

Shaw and Jones attracted the young English player surcharge, so yeah a bit expensive alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RichFTW

Exactly, spend it all on high quality, not over spending on potential, we need first team players this window.

Chelsea & City are the only clubs who can really afford to always go for the 40m signing as opposed to the potential player. Any other club would soon be in financial trouble with that policy as they don't have billionaire owners.

There is no guarantee that the big money signing will be a success. If they flop, you are left with the same problems in the team but with a huge financial loss as well. Torres, Shevchenko, Denilson, Veron...the list goes on and on.

Clubs try to limit the risk by buying a number of relatively cheaper players with potential in the hope that they turn into 40m+ players. The only way of determining if you over spent on a player is with hindsight so the signings homer brought up are not going to look as good now if they are not a huge success. Nobody seems to brings up Rooney or Ronaldo in this discussion to show that this transfer policy works both ways.

He means "if DDG wanted to leave"'.

Not beyond the realms given his girlfriend's reported feelings...

He said DDG wants to go back to Spain.

Doesn't his girlfriend live in Spain and come over to visit him? I don't see a problem with DDG and can't see him leaving us anytime soon.

He said DDG wants to go back to Spain.

Doesn't his girlfriend live in Spain and come over to visit him? I don't see a problem with DDG and can't see him leaving us anytime soon.

No he didn't.

He said this:

"DDG wants to go back to spain and one injury and we have a very ordinary team."

He clearly means "imagine if DDG decided that he wanted to go back to Spain and we picked up one injury...in such a scenario, we'd have a very ordinary team."

Separately and somewhat worryingly, his girlfriend has publicly stated that she'd like to see him back in Spain:

http://www.squawka.com/news/david-de-geas-girlfriend-edurne-garcia-admits-she-would-like-him-to-move-back-to-spain/152945

Hopefully theirs is a 1950s relationship and he just tells her to shut the f..k up.

compared to the top tier of European football, regardless of injuries, girlfriends or trips to Spain, we HAVE a very ordinary team.

compared to the top tier of European football, regardless of injuries, girlfriends or trips to Spain, we HAVE a very ordinary team.

Agreed. We have world class talent in a some areas but require a major injection of quality in others.

It's been said ad infinitum on these pages...we need 3/4 players, at least two of whom need to be world class first teamers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,844 ✭✭✭py2006

So we have gone from talk of signing 5 or 6 players at the start of the summer to only getting 2 and the manager saying he is happy with the squad.

Does this mean players (yet again) unwilling to sign for Utd? Any top player at the top of his game at a top club will not be attracted to a side who won't be in Europe this season and the strong possibility of not qualifying for the following season.

Unless there is another 2 or 3 signings, big signings, I am starting to get a little concerned. We saw decent performances in the pre season games from average players (Young) but that is because they were playing for their future.

py2006 wrote: »
    So we have gone from talk of signing 5 or 6 players at the start of the summer to only getting 2 and the manager saying he is happy with the squad.

Does this mean players (yet again) unwilling to sign for Utd? Any top player at the top of his game at a top club will not be attracted to a side who won't be in Europe this season and the strong possibility of not qualifying for the following season.

Unless there is another 2 or 3 signings, big signings, I am starting to get a little concerned. We saw decent performances in the pre season games from average players (Young) but that is because they were playing for their future.

They were also meaningless friendlies. In that Liverpool game, substitutes were being thrown on like confetti.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Cantstandsya

glued wrote: »
    The Times and La Stampa both suggest that by next Friday we will know exactly what is happening with Vidal and Cuadrado.

I suggest that by September 2nd we will know exactly what is happening with Vidal and Cuadrado.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

py2006 wrote: »

Highly doubt LVG is happy with the squad when he states he was looking for defender's also it is quite obvious we are pursing Vidal but a few hold ups around d his knee which is understandable.

Also we have rarely gone for the top tier of players in any transfer window, we have always operated at the 2nd tier so those reports of marquee players refusing to join us are wide of the mark imo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement