Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I think we have not signed anyone since July because of Woodward. There shouldn't be months of prepping bids that ultimately go nowhere. Fabregas last summer. Vidal and hummels this summer, months to do fuking anything, and getting nothing.

We'll end up with fellaini type signings again, cause we are incapable of conducting our business quickly and efficiently.

Ah come on LVG said himself we wont be signing anyone until after the tour.

If you wanna blame somebody then it should be LVG. :pac:

I think its clear 1 or 2 players will come in but patience is needed, the current starting 11 should be able to get us though the first 4 league games.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

Just like last summer, eh?

LVG isn't the problem, it's Woodward.

How do you know?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

LVG said he'd use the tour to assess.
    Said we need center backs.
    Come back from tour and started working on Vermaelan.
    Fell through two days ago, so likely now that we've moved on to next target on list.
    Meanwhile, if press to be believed, we're also working on Vidal, Cuadardo, possibly DiMaria and that's who we know.

And yet, apparently, we're doing nothing?

Not having transfers completed =/= doing nothing. Pretty obvious plenty is ongoing right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,396 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Lord TSC wrote: »
    LVG said he'd use the tour to assess.
    Said we need center backs.
    Come back from tour and started working on Vermaelan.
    Fell through two days ago, so likely now that we've moved on to next target on list.
    Meanwhile, if press to be believed, we're also working on Vidal, Cuadardo, possibly DiMaria and that's who we know.

And yet, apparently, we're doing nothing?

Not having transfers completed =/= doing nothing. Pretty obvious plenty is ongoing right now.
    why do you chose to believe the press now, but not when they said we were after hummels and Vidal over the last month, or vermalen sine early July, or any other transfer rumour that occurred before or during the tour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

If we are going to be playing with 3 CB's we need at least 5 senior CB's on the books

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

duffman13 wrote: »
    Even if he does it doesn't mean you don't deserve the rolleyes. You've been banging the same drum with your the ITK bull**** for the last two weeks. The fact you have continously posted Vidal is signing today etc is extremely tiresome and offers zero contribution to the thread overall.

It's supposed to be fun...the aggressive nonsense that you've posted above adds nothing to the thread.

I have been advised that the Vidal deal will be done. This "you said it would be today" stuff is juvenile and ridiculous. I'm saying that it will happen and you (and your ilk) are giving out because I'm not giving the precise Greenwich Mean Time that it'll happen.

Some people on these pages are never happy unless they're having a go.

why do you chose to believe the press now, but not when they said we were after hummels and Vidal over the last month, or vermalen sine early July, or any other transfer rumour that occurred before or during the tour.

I'm not saying I believe them 100% one way or other. Just that there's far more evidence to suggest work is being done than there is to try and paint the picture of Woodward and his team sitting on their asses with fingers in ears, pretending everything is ok.

To me, it's obvious work is being done, and LVG has already explained his stance on getting players in.

"Last minute" transfer business is the price we had to pay to get Van Gaal. He needed time to assess the squad. That's fair enough, no?

We should pass judgement when the window closes.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm not saying I believe them 100% one way or other. Just that there's far more evidence to suggest work is being done than there is to try and paint the picture of Woodward and his team sitting on their asses with fingers in ears, pretending everything is ok.

To me, it's obvious work is being done, and LVG has already explained his stance on getting players in.

Tbf I think Mitch is saying they work on things but don't do it efficiently or particularly well.

Not sure I would agree yet.

"Last minute" transfer business is the price we had to pay to get Van Gaal. He needed time to assess the squad. That's fair enough, no?

We should pass judgement when the window closes.

Hang on, the other night you were using words like calamitous and saying it was a disgrace that new players were not already brought in. That it was another poor poor summer.

Make up your mind

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm saying that it will happen and you (and your ilk) are giving out because I'm not giving the precise Greenwich Mean Time that it'll happen.

Some people on these pages are never happy unless they're having a go.

It's exactly the nonsense of saying constantly it's going to happen is what gets under people's skin. I don't want an exact time at all. If you believe it's going to happen fair enough but you don't know anything so stop pretending like your guy in JP Morgan knows that United ordered x amount of euros for Vidal. I believe Utd are trying to sign Vidal but I don't know for a fact. Your starting to turn into the butt of people's jokes on here.

Anyway on topic, assuming Vidal is not fit or can't pass a medical and with Strootman in a similar situation is there anyone else that comes near them ability wise we should be in for and not a stop gap like De Jong.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭twam2008

Juventus and Fiorentina managers have both spoken to the press in the last few days, definitely seems more solid than general paper talk, politics is in play. I think Louis will get what he needs and if not he will be happy to work with what he has. Things look far better than they did last year.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Hang on, the other night you were using words like calamitous and saying it was a disgrace that new players were not already brought in. That it was another poor poor summer.

Make up your mind

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

We're behind the proverbial eight ball which is a big problem but it's a price we've had to pay.

I guess that people who say "wait until the end of the window" are right.

Far from ideal though.

The two aren't mutually exclusive.

We're behind the proverbial eight ball which is a big problem but it's a price we've had to pay.

I guess that people who say "wait until the end of the window" are right.

Far from ideal though.

So its not a poor poor summer, calamitous or a disgrace that players were not already brought in?

Okay then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,690 ✭✭✭ElChe32

wtfih.gif

So its not a poor poor summer, calamitous or a disgrace that players were not already brought in?

Okay then.

What do you mean "already brought in"?

Before Van Gaal took over?

Now you're just posting nonsense and looking for a row which you're not going to get here.

Laughable.

As stated above, the two are not mutually exclusive. It has been a calamitous summer so far. But...it's not over yet.

What do you mean "already brought in"?

Before Van Gaal took over?

Now you're just posting nonsense and looking for a row which you're not going to get here.

Laughable.

As stated above, the two are not mutually exclusive. It has been a calamitous summer so far. But...it's not over yet.

Not looking for a row. I was asking for clarity on the posts below
    Alex Song allegedly on the transfer list at Barca...he'd be a useful addition to our squad in my view.

We need do some business and we need to do it soon. Arguably it's too late already as the season starts in 10 days so any new additions won't be integrated into the setup.

A disgrace really - Another poor poor summer.

or

We should pass judgement when the window closes

I only ask as they appear contradictory rather than "not mutually exclusive".

Obviously I only include the posts for clarity on what I was asking. No offence intended.

Herrera and Shaw is not a calamitous transfer window. I think we'll sign at least two more before the end of the window but get a grip!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

twam2008 wrote: »
    Herrera and Shaw is not a calamitous transfer window. I think we'll sign at least two more before the end of the window but get a grip!

A 19 year old who could flop and a midfielder with no PL experience isn't great to be honest.

• Advertisement

thelad95 wrote: »
    A 19 year old who could flop and a midfielder with no PL experience isn't great to be honest.

Could have sworn Southampton play in the premier league.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

It's the same hysterics every transfer window, that's why I only lurk in this thread.

Chill and lets see what happens, LvG obviously thinks he has a squad he can challenge with.

Could have sworn Southampton play in the premier league.

??

Not looking for a row. I was asking for clarity on the posts below

or

I only ask as they appear contradictory rather than not mutually exclusive.

Obviously I only include the posts fro clarity on what I was asking. No offence intended.

I do not want to have a row with you but I don't think that they're contradicatory. We desperately need to do business ASAP and it's been a bad summer so far. However, that's probably to be expected given Van Gaal's timeline so I guess we need to wait until the window shuts before passing final judgement.

There is a shortage of top drawer centre halves out there but we need (at least) one.

??

Ha ha, might have mis read that one. I'm just frustrated, club has signed a top class manager, and two very good players imo, yet everyone seems to be giving out.

I do not want to have a row with you but I don't think that they're contradicatory. We desperately need to do business ASAP and it's been a bad summer so far. However, that's probably to be expected given Van Gaal's timeline so I guess we need to wait until the window shuts before passing final judgement.

There is a shortage of top drawer centre halves out there but we need (at least) one.

Thanks for answering anyway.

• Advertisement

Ha ha, might have mis read that one. I'm just frustrated, club has signed a top class manager, and two very good players imo, yet everyone seems to be giving out.

We're paper thin at the back and midfield is questionable. Woodward has said we have some mythical unlimited transfer budget yet here we are a week before the new season starts having essentially weakened not strengthened the overall squad since last season.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

No one is giving out about who they signed.

We expect more. And we need more.Whoever is signed now, has no pre season, and have to learn the system.

It's poor out of the club. You don't need to be united manager to know that they are light at CB and light at CM. Two positions crucial to how the team will do this window. It was the exact same at the start of the window. It got worse when Carrick got injured, yet here we are a week to Swansea and 2 signings still needed.

If anyone is happy with the business so far you need to raise what you expect from a the club. Every team that finished above us has done better business bar Spurs and lets face it Spurs are a ****e.

Players should have been signed before now. End of.

We're paper thin at the back and midfield is questionable. Woodward has said we have some mythical unlimited transfer budget yet here we are a week before the new season starts having essentially weakened not strengthened the overall squad since last season.

I agree regards Woodward, don't really understand why he's come out last two windows and said we have tonnes of money to spend, don't think it's helped in the slightest. But I think Van Gaal is such an improvement on Moyes, confidence in the team seems much better. I know it's only pre season, but wins against Inter, Madrid and Liverpool, however friendly, reasons to be optimistic.

lordgoat wrote: »

More Players should have been signed before now. End of.

Sorry LG :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

I think people are overreacting a bit. Let's just say we signed Hummels weeks ago he'd only be coming back now anyway (fifa say players who played in wc final should get a month off) so he'd have had no pre season same with Di Maria, Vidal would be even longer due to his knee.

• Advertisement

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I think people are overreacting a bit. Let's just say we signed Hummels weeks ago he'd only be coming back now anyway (fifa say players who played in wc final should get a month off) so he'd have had no pre season same with Di Maria, Vidal would be even longer due to his knee.

Say we signed Benatia, he could have had a preseason under his belt by now.

Same for Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Same for Lovren.

I don't remember seeing news that we were in for Lovren and he's not what we need either imo not a bad player though.
    Haven't seen anything concrete linking us to Benatia either.

When you look at the squad, we're very light in some key areas.

Centre half - Three front line centre halves clearly aren't sufficient for a team playing 3-5-2. And some people are sceptical about our current three.

Midfield - A disaster area for years. Shamefully neglected by Fergie. At least one world class addition required. Personally I'd look at Song as a squad player as well as the obvious (i.e. Vidal).

Left back - We need back up for Shaw.

Other areas - With such urgent needs in relation to the above areas, it's hard to see why the club would be looking at the likes of Cavani or Di Maria. F..k the marquee signing stuff in my view unless it's in an area that requires urgent attention or at that stage the urgent stuff has been dealt with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Not sure when the interview happened but LVG name dropped Di Maria.
    ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff
    LvG: “We don’t have wingers of the highest level, like Ronaldo or Di Maria or somebody like that. So, I have to play in another way.”
    LvG: “At this moment, we have five No.9s and four No.10s – and we don’t have wingers to give us attacking width.”

(That twitter account isn't claiming to be ITK before anybody jumps down my throat)

Not sure when the interview happened but LVG name dropped Di Maria.

(That twitter account isn't claiming to be ITK before anybody jumps down my throat)
    The di Maria and ronaldo bit is new to me, but I'm sure I read him saying it about the lack of wide talent weeks ago, as I said in this thread earlier, along with a need for centre backs.

The di Maria and ronaldo bit is new to me, but I'm sure I read him saying it about the lack of wide talent weeks ago, as I said in this thread earlier, along with a need for centre backs.

Okay these 3 more posted. Were they included a few weeks back in what you read? if so, its more stuff being twisted.
    ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff
    LvG: “I only buy when I think we need to buy – in the position that is necessary.”

LvG: “Dutch players are usually cheaper than players of other nationalities & they have usually been very well educated in the Netherlands.”

LvG: “If they are at the level I want them to be, then I will sign Dutch players. Nationality isn’t something that concerns me.”

Okay these 3 more posted. Were they included a few weeks back in what you read? if so, its more stuff being twisted.

First bit he has spoken of before, second and third bits are new, to me anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Swansea will give us a good game, Ki who looked good for Sunderland, Shelvey and Briton will be a match for our current midfield and their forwards aren't bad either

Seems a fairly large interview to make up, but then again, y'never know

• Advertisement

Southampton want Hernandez say the telegraph? Atletico Madrid to Southampton, theres a drop

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    I don't remember seeing news that we were in for Lovren and he's not what we need either imo not a bad player though.
    Haven't seen anything concrete linking us to Benatia either.

The point is there are players available plenty of them in the positions we need, it's baffling that we have not signed a CB yet.

Same for midfield, yes Herrera came in that's great, but what happens if Carrick gets injur... oh wait...

First bit he has spoken of before, second and third bits are new, to me anyway.

Had seen the first bits before too, the rest was news to me, can't believe he gave the mail an interview, wonder where these came from...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Star saying we've bid 30million for Hummells

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Same for Lovren.

Lovren hasn't got any game time since the WC has he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

MagicIRL wrote: »
    De Gea, Mata, Rooney.

I went with Shaw, Mata, Rooney.

Was originally thinking of picking up Herrera but not certain yet, he looks really useful but likes a tackle, got away with a few in the pre-season, not sure what will happen in the PL games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

irishfeen wrote: »
    Alot expected from Rooney this year and I fully expect him to oblige - if RVP and Rooney can stay fit week in week out things should fall into place nicely.

Assuming no injuries then I think Mata and Rooney are going to link up very well this year.

Have Rooney as captain, I reckon he's gonna score a nice amount of goals and could have quite a few assists with RVP.

The point is there are players available plenty of them in the positions we need, it's baffling that we have not signed a CB yet.

I'd wager a guess that it comes down to LVG assessing what we had to work out what we need. It's well documented he likes players to fill certain roles and philosophies. It's easy for us to go "We need defenders", but LVG seemed to want to take time to figure out....did we need first team or squad? Left foot or right? Youth or experience? A pacy guy who can bomb up the field or a slow but steady rock? And that's off the top of my head. I'd imagine he'd have a bigger list of questions.

"Can we get him quick?" should not be a question that ranks high on priorities. It should be about the right player, not the easiest to get player. LVG, as he said, assessed the squad, and then launched a bid for Vermalean (the one we know of), and now has likely moved onto another target (hopefully Hummels is true...).

He might not be doing it quickly but it's hardly "baffling" why it's taking as long as it has. He's been very open in explaining the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Star saying we've bid 30million for Hummells

Mad money if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Deank wrote: »
    Mad money if true.

Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)

• Advertisement

Deank wrote: »
    Mad money if true.

Mad low?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement