Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Ed The Equalizer

thelad95 wrote: »
    We're paper thin at the back and midfield is questionable. Woodward has said we have some mythical unlimited transfer budget yet here we are a week before the new season starts having essentially weakened not strengthened the overall squad since last season.

I'd argue that given our new manager, new signings in positions we were desperate for, 5 at the back giving more defensive solidity, Rooney and Mata playing in their best positions, and our greatly reduced schedule, we're in a MUCH stronger position than last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The star were saying 20 million this morning, they are making it up

lordgoat wrote: »

If anyone is happy with the business so far you need to raise what you expect from a the club. Every team that finished above us has done better business bar Spurs and lets face it Spurs are a ****e.

Not concerned at all about what Everton, Liverpool and City have done.

Chelsea have done very well, and Arsenal second best.

On the other hand, all those teams will be worrying about us.

Regarding expectations, I think most people here need to raise their expectations of what the existing squad can do.

I expect a title challenge and nothing less, even with no signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Not really sure what to believe that's in the "papers", I'd imagine they'd run any story that will sell more papers or get them more clicks.

I'd assume the only way to know for sure is if the story appears on the official United site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

The star were saying 20 million this morning, they are making it up

It really is lazy at this stage the tripe they print, Next week can't come quick enough get back to the real business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭Deank

duffman13 wrote: »
    Don't let the door hit you on the way out :)

Explain, Hummels is a decent buy but not €30m worth, €20m ish is more realistic in this market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Deank wrote: »
    Explain, Hummels is a decent buy but not €30m worth, €20m ish is more realistic in this market.

This in the day and age where David Luiz is sold for 50million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

If David Luiz is worth 50m, Hummels Is worth 100m.

20m is an insult to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Euros I thought you were talking pounds. Yeah no in a world were Luiz is £50m and Marquinhos is £30m and Lovren is what 15-20? Then yeah £30 million is an absolute bargain for Hummels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,623 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

In this market 40/50 is more realistic. Transfer fees have been very high lately. A far inferior defender in David Luiz went for 50m about 2 months ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Taok wrote: »

Top 4 will be our title challenge if there aren't more signings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

€20 million for Hummels is laughable to be honest, £16 million for one of the best centre backs in the world? Yeah right.
    Could go for €40 million easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

adox wrote: »

There will be more signings. Believe!! Well i just can't phantom LVG comes into a huge club like united in July and not make at least two of his own signings.

I shall wait with patience for now..

Adventure-Time.gif

You think the manager will be thinking that way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 371 ✭✭eioneill

Marcos Rojo anyone?

20 million for a World Cup winning defender when Lovren has just moved for 25 million?

Are you insane?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

You think the manager will be thinking that way?

I'm thinking that way.

I'm thinking that way.

Well I'm glad you're not the manager so :D

20 million for a World Cup winning defender when Lovren has just moved for 25 million?

Are you insane?

Possibly, €30m is still a bit rich though.

No way, 30 million sterling is probably the least amount Dortmund would consider if he wanted out, and he would be worth that

Sure we almost paid that each for Shaw and Herrera

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

How would you rate Hummels as a defender? Have you seen him play much?
    I'd rate him highly and in the same bracket as Thiago Silva and you know how much he cost.

I'd rate him highly and in the same bracket as Thiago Silva and you know how much he cost.

Silva didn't cost a whole lot more than Shaw.

I'd rate him in the Vidic class, this has nothing to do with talent, more to do with stupid money and the over inflated prices paid for players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

As much as I'd love to see Vidal signing, given the choice between him and Hummels (for arguments sake), it'd be the German chap all day long.
    We really do need a CB badly. And it's probably more of a pressing concern than CM for me in the short term. And going by how weak our midfield is, that does say a lot about the lack of quality we have in central defence.

Still on the positivity couch, but signing both Vidal and Hummels is surely fantasy stuff.

I'd rate him in the Vidic class, this has nothing to do with talent, more to do with stupid money and the over inflated prices paid for players.

Which Vidic class the one where he was one of the best in the world or at the level he is now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

I love Kate Upton.......

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Which Vidic class the one where he was one of the best in the world or at the level he is now?

Seriously?

Seriously?

Yes? If you think Vidic is anywhere near as good as Hummels now you're wrong. If you think Hummels is as good as Vidic was at his best then you're probably right.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Not concerned at all about what Everton, Liverpool and City have done.

Chelsea have done very well, and Arsenal second best.

On the other hand, all those teams will be worrying about us.

Regarding expectations, I think most people here need to raise their expectations of what the existing squad can do.

I expect the same, but with signings I believe it might be easier. Don't let citys signings fool you, very solid squad players. Hoping they get a bastard of a CL group.

There will be more signings. Believe!! Well i just can't phantom LVG comes into a huge club like united in July and not make at least two of his own signings.

I shall wait with patience for now..

Adventure-Time.gif

Adventure time, we need the jiggler to sort **** out.

TSC - I see where you're coming from I just don't agree with it. Plenty of players that fit into the roles we need.

• Advertisement

Yes? If you think Vidic is anywhere near as good as Hummels now you're wrong. If you think Hummels is as good as Vidic was at his best then you're probably right.

We're both right so.

She's a cracking arse on her, no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Al Capwned wrote: »
    We really do need a CB badly. And it's probably more of a pressing concern than CM for me in the short term. And going by how weak our midfield is, that does say a lot about the lack of quality we have in central defence.

Have to disagree, more than anything else we need another proper midfielder right now.

We need defenders also, no doubt, but even if we had Hummels that will be scant consolation when opposing teams are running right through the midfield and straight at him again and again. On the other hand the likes of Jones and Smalling could look a lot better with some proper protection in front of them.

The current squad plus Hummels will still get creamed in midfield. The current squad plus a world class midfielder could actually compete, we need to sort that area first.

(We need to sort both, but I think you get my point)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

That BBC film United is powerful stuff on RTÉ at the minute - always gets to me :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Have to disagree, more than anything else we need another proper midfielder right now.

We need defenders also, no doubt, but even if we had Hummels that will be scant consolation when opposing teams are running right through the midfield and straight at him again and again. On the other hand the likes of Jones and Smalling could look a lot better with some proper protection in front of them.

The current squad plus Hummels will still get creamed in midfield. The current squad plus a world class midfielder could actually compete, we need to sort that area first.

(We need to sort both, but I think you get my point)

So you'd be ok with the current 5 CB's of Jones Smalling Evans and the 2 kids for the season? So when one of the first 3 is injured with have to play an u21 when no PL experience?

We have cover in CM, it might be amazing but we have bodies and experience there. At CB we don't. CB is more of a priority, i see you point but i think it's wrong.

Juventus play 3 at back they have 6 centre halves bar Chelini none or them are anything special. Ideally you'd like one more but Blackett or Keane may be held back if that happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Juventus play 3 at back they have 6 centre halves bar Chelini none or them are anything special. Ideally you'd like one more but Blackett or Keane may be held back if that happens.

Ogbonna and Barzagli are very good players, I'd love to sign either if we got the chance. Juventus also have a very strong midfield supporting the back 3, something we can't offer at the moment. Very much think we need a CB before the season starts

Edit: Didn't realise how old Barzagli is, think I'm mixing him up with the other Italian CB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

irishfeen wrote: »
    That BBC film United is powerful stuff on RTÉ at the minute - always gets to me :(

Right in the cries every time. Especially when D Edwards asks why the others didnt visit. My one unashamed bawl my eyes out movie.

Harry Gregg, what a legend (not just in football stakes but general f**k me what a man stakes)

I may have drink taken

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

The fact the club actually won a European Cup is remarkable never mind 3.

Even one of my best girlfriends who hates football said she shed a tear after that movie.

Only seen it the once but it was v good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

The fact the club actually won a European Cup is remarkable never mind 3.

Reporting you to a mod as i havent seen this film and you've just ruined the ending.

Same thing happened with the Bible. Knew who died and who done it before i got around to reading it. Tut.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

United to Sign Vidal and Limerick to win up in croker today.

Luimneach abu!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Vertigo100

Luimneach abu!

Just out of bed for breakfast shower etc. 9.15 train up to Dublin then to watch us maul the cats.

Come on the lims.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Why aren't people claiming to be in the know not instantly banned from here when they don't have proof? At least give them an infraction for trolling.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

JerCotter7 wrote: »
    Why aren't people claiming to be in the know not instantly banned from here when they don't have proof? At least give them an infraction for trolling.

if you have a problem with a post, report it or get in touch with a mod. But realise there is nothing in the charter about passing on rumours and information found in a variety of ways, especially given this is a rumours and gossip topic. If we start banning people for passing on transfer rumours and gossip, then this thread will go very quiet very quickly.

There is, however, rules against backseat modding, which is a cardable offence, and there have been a few people pushing it with responses like this.

If you have a problem with a user, a posting style or whatever, report it, and if the mods disagree or if it's thought it isn't in breach of charter, then please feel free to ignore the poster you don't like. No one is forcing anyone to believe the information passed on, or accept it's credibility. But do not start publically calling for cards, since that will likely warrant a card itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 814 ✭✭✭JerCotter7

Lord TSC wrote: »
    if you have a problem with a post, report it or get in touch with a mod. But realise there is nothing in the charter about passing on rumours and information found in a variety of ways, especially given this is a rumours and gossip topic. If we start banning people for passing on transfer rumours and gossip, then this thread will go very quiet very quickly.

There is, however, rules against backseat modding, which is a cardable offence, and there have been a few people pushing it with responses like this.

If you have a problem with a user, a posting style or whatever, report it, and if the mods disagree or if it's thought it isn't in breach of charter, then please feel free to ignore the poster you don't like. No one is forcing anyone to believe the information passed on, or accept it's credibility. But do not start publically calling for cards, since that will likely warrant a card itself.

Don't be silly saying ban all rumours. I never asked for anyone to get a card. I'm just asking a question. That's not backseat modding. Rumours are one thing but when you know someone is clearly making something up, that's not a rumour.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

Sunday Supplement on Sky Sports 1 now...should be good re transfer rumours etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

Luimneach abu!

yep. Limerick to skin the cats and hopefully Vidal and hummels to sign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Best of luck Limerick lads.

Cant see ye doing it though.

Better chance of Vidal coming ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sorry, but Kilkenny will win today, Brian Cody is similar to LVG.
    The All Ireland final will be like Manchester United (Kilkenny) the most successful in terms of titles versus Liverpool (Cork) the second most successful, here I apologise to Cork, but then Brendan Rodgers has played hurling...

Look at last year, both Kilkenny and United had off years. We are back this year and both have some new exciting signings and playing players in different positions to the past..Kilkenny winning the All Ireland = Manchester United title next May.
    Mark my words, supporting anyone else but Kilkenny today is like supporting [insert non Man Utd team].
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sorry, but Kilkenny will win today, Brian Cody is similar to LVG.
    The All Ireland final will be like Manchester United (Kilkenny) the most successful in terms of titles versus Liverpool (Cork) the second most successful, here I apologise to Cork, but then Brendan Rodgers has played hurling...

Look at last year, both Kilkenny and United had off years. We are back this year and both have some new exciting signings and playing players in different positions to the past..Kilkenny winning the All Ireland = Manchester United title next May.
    Mark my words, supporting anyone else but Kilkenny today is like supporting [insert non Man Utd team].
    :p

So let me guess, Dublin are Man City because they have an unfair financial advantage? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

So let me guess, Dublin are Man City because they have an unfair financial advantage? :pac:

Yeah and they won the title last season...

The only good thing today about United not being in the community shield, no clash of match today.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

ceegee wrote: »
    Right in the cries every time. Especially when D Edwards asks why the others didnt visit. My one unashamed bawl my eyes out movie.

Harry Gregg, what a legend (not just in football stakes but general f**k me what a man stakes)

I may have drink taken
    The bit that gets me going is when Jimmy Murphy (played by David Tennant) goes into the stairwell of the hospital and breaks down uncontrollably as he realises his boys are gone and when he walks in to the sports hall to see all the coffins alongside eachother :(

For anyone who didn't see it

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement