Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread - Mod Note in OP, 13/8

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sorry, but Kilkenny will win today, Brian Cody is similar to LVG.
    The All Ireland final will be like Manchester United (Kilkenny) the most successful in terms of titles versus Liverpool (Cork) the second most successful, here I apologise to Cork, but then Brendan Rodgers has played hurling...

Look at last year, both Kilkenny and United had off years. We are back this year and both have some new exciting signings and playing players in different positions to the past..Kilkenny winning the All Ireland = Manchester United title next May.
    Mark my words, supporting anyone else but Kilkenny today is like supporting [insert non Man Utd team].
    :p

You're nearly there.

Cody is Fergie, not LVG - that's the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

gosplan wrote: »
    You're nearly there.

Cody is Fergie, not LVG - that's the problem.

Sure Cody had Tommy Walsh winning all stars in defense, in midfield and in the forwards.
    That is LVG style like with Schweinsteiger, getting rid of Charlie Carter was similar to Beckham/Stam...Fergie style.

Meanwhile Vidal is adding to rumours, he was signing autographs and shirts while on tour.
    He signed a United shirt but refused to sign a Man City shirt, apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Best of luck Limerick lads.

Cant see ye doing it though.

Better chance of Vidal coming ;)
    Beating them is the All Ireland final would be epic... here's hoping :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Sure Cody had Tommy Walsh winning all stars in defense, in midfield and in the forwards.
    That is LVG style like with Schweinsteiger, getting rid of Charlie Carter was similar to Beckham/Stam...Fergie style.

Meanwhile Vidal is adding to rumours, he was signing autographs and shirts while on tour.

I'd more be going on the more simplistic 'winning stuff all the time' aspect.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Please lads, leave the foreign sports in the GAA forum!! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Probably the best reason for ooptimism since he put his house up for sale. Today is the day, I can feel it :/

Sunday Supplement on Sky Sports 1 now...should be good re transfer rumours etc.
    They didn't have anything new at all - they seem to be like ourselves and have no inside stuff - if we do make more signings the club will have been rock solid with leaks... no journalist seems to have anything to go on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

What a little minx! I forsee him having a fight with Vinny Kompany in the tunnels before the derby a la Roy keane.
    Manchester United are set to fork out a mammoth £125 million on Angel Di Maria, Arturo Vidal and Mehdi Benatia, while Javier Hernandez will join Juventus as part of the deal for the Chilean midfielder. (Daily Express)
    Ajax are bracing themselves for a Manchester United bid for Dutch international Daley Blind this week. The club are expected to launch a £15 million bid. (Mirror)
    Southampton have stepped up their bid to sign Mexico striker Javier Hernandez from Manchester United. (Mirror)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Have to disagree, more than anything else we need another proper midfielder right now.

We need defenders also, no doubt, but even if we had Hummels that will be scant consolation when opposing teams are running right through the midfield and straight at him again and again. On the other hand the likes of Jones and Smalling could look a lot better with some proper protection in front of them.

The current squad plus Hummels will still get creamed in midfield. The current squad plus a world class midfielder could actually compete, we need to sort that area first.

(We need to sort both, but I think you get my point)
    lordgoat wrote: »
    So you'd be ok with the current 5 CB's of Jones Smalling Evans and the 2 kids for the season? So when one of the first 3 is injured with have to play an u21 when no PL experience?

We have cover in CM, it might be amazing but we have bodies and experience there. At CB we don't. CB is more of a priority, i see you point but i think it's wrong.

LG answered that for me. Completely agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

The fact the club actually won a European Cup is remarkable never mind 3.

Even one of my best girlfriends who hates football said she shed a tear after that movie.

Only seen it the once but it was v good.

How many have you, you old devil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭sigmundv

irishfeen wrote: »
    They didn't have anything new at all - they seem to be like ourselves and have no inside stuff - if we do make more signings the club will have been rock solid with leaks... no journalist seems to have anything to go on.
    Yes, the leaks seem to have dried up since Moyesie left. It's a good thing if you ask me.

thelad95 wrote: »
    A 19 year old who could flop and a midfielder with no PL experience isn't great to be honest.
    To be fair, any player can flop. Verón was a world class player when we bought him, but he was a relative flop.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Larry Wildman

I thought that they were spot on re United's signings to date being underwhelming. They cited Veron as the last "world star" bought by United (I'd disagree) and said that our signings pale in comparison with Chelsea's or the Spanish two's. They pointed out that Herrera is nowhere near the Spanish side and that Shaw's just a promising youth player.

sigmundv wrote: »
    To be fair, any player can flop. Verón was a world class player when we bought him, but he was a relative flop.

Veron was completely stitched up in my view. He needed to play centrally in the position that Roy Keane was occupying at the time and that was never going to happen. So he ended up playing out of position, a lot of the time on the right wing. It was no different to Kagawa really or Scholes for England or Rooney sometimes. Superb players can be made to look very ordinary if they're stuck out of position on the wing.

sigmundv wrote: »
    Yes, the leaks seem to have dried up since Moyesie left. It's a good thing if you ask me.

Well ha its a great thing as long as we actually sign a player...
    I thought that they were spot on re United's signings to date being underwhelming. They cited Veron as the last "world star" bought by United (I'd disagree) and said that our signings pale in comparison with Chelsea's or the Spanish two's. They pointed out that Herrera is nowhere near the Spanish side and that Shaw's just a promising youth player.

.. Larry that argument has been made about 1000 times here - its an everyday issue... they are hardly showing great journalistic endeavour by having such a discussion.

• Advertisement

Larry that argument has been made about 1000 times here - its an everyday issue... they are hardly showing great journalistic endeavour by having such a discussion.
    I only caught the end of the show, but the guys who were on - Sean Custis, Henry Winter and Sam Wallace - don't have any insight on United, so it's not surprising that they don't have any informed opinion to give.

Well ha its a great thing as long as we actually sign a player...

.. Larry that argument has been made about 1000 times here - its an everyday issue... they are hardly showing great journalistic endeavour by having such a discussion.

And it's interesting to see that same discussion played out on tv...

Veron was completely stitched up in my view. He needed to play centrally in the position that Roy Keane was occupying at the time and that was never going to happen. So he ended up playing out of position, a lot of the time on the right wing. It was no different to Kagawa really or Scholes for England or Rooney sometimes. Superb players can be made to look very ordinary if they're stuck out of position on the wing.
    I agree, Larry, and actually struggle to see why we bought him - unless we were going to play with three in midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Al Capwned wrote: »
    How many have you, you old devil?

I enjoy single life Al.

Bit too much ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

I disagree, Shaw is a sensational young player and already in the top 4 or 5 in the league in his position. We basically bought the LB equivalent of Neymar at 19.

Being in the Spain side is hardly an accurate measure,DDG was third choice at the World Cup even though he has been far far better than Cassilas and Riena, Lopez possibly had a stronger claim also. Herrera is thought to be a huge part of Del Bosque's new look side.

• Advertisement

And it's interesting to see that same discussion played out on tv...
    Ya I suppose so but it wasn't ground breaking stuff - its no surprise to any football fan/club across Europe that we are among the most financially tight clubs in the world - how we remained so successful with such little expenditure is a miracle.

Ya I suppose so but it wasn't ground breaking stuff - its no surprise to any football fan/club across Europe that we are among the most financially tight clubs in the world - how we remained so successful with such little expenditure is a miracle.
    Indeed - and goes to show what a genius Fergie was/is.

beno619 wrote: »
    Shaw is a sensational young player and already in the top 4 or 5 in the league. We basically bought the LB equivalent of Neymar at 19

That is an outrageous claim with no evidence to support it.

What we've done is buy 2014's Phil Jones. It remains to be seen whether he'll be a world class player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I thought Veron was bought for the Champions League, when the team was playing 4-4-1-1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Quotes around this morning from LVG about our lack of wingers and apparently he has referenced Di Maria in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

You gotta love Vidal Sundays!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

What we've done is buy 2014's Phil Jones. It remains to be seen whether he'll be a world class player.

Who where the better LB's in the league last year ?

Aenaes wrote: »
    I thought Veron was bought for the Champions League, when the team was playing 4-4-1-1?
    That's also what I have heard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭ShaunC

MagicIRL wrote: »
    What a little minx! I forsee him having a fight with Vinny Kompany in the tunnels before the derby a la Roy keane.

That would be a treat, Keane had Viera in his pocket from then on. Although Kompany is not a hard man like Viera was.

Can you name a better LB under the age of 20 in world football ? Because that's how Neymar was perceived at a similar age.

60 PL appearances before his 19th birthday.

PL team of the year 13/14.

Wheres you're evidence to discredit the claim ?

• Advertisement

yabadabado wrote: »
    Who where the better LB's in the league last year ?

Beno619 (rather than yabadabado) compared him to Neymar and said that he's already in the top 4 or 5 players in the League FFS!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

You compared him to Neymar and said that he's already in the top 4 or 5 players in the League FFS!

No he didn't, it was beno who said it and included in his positon as clarification (possibly with a ninja edit).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭magnumbud

You compared him to Neymar and said that he's already in the top 4 or 5 players in the League FFS!

might want to re read what he said. he said in his position i.e. in the top 5 fullbacks which cannot be argued with his place in the team of the year

magnumbud wrote: »
    might want to re read what he said. he said in his position i.e. in the top 5 fullbacks which cannot be argued with his place in the team of the year

No he didn't! That was edited subsequently.

No he didn't! That was edited subsequently.

Not quite ninja, but yes it was edited a minute before your retort was posted which explains why you found my post so outrageous. Clearly I meant in his position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Quotes around this morning from LVG about our lack of wingers and apparently he has referenced Di Maria in them.

Also referenced Ronaldo but press jumped on Di Maria, I personally wouldn't pay too much attention to it really. Seemed a general comment rather than a statement of transfer intent.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,606 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Sky sports apparently reporting Fiorentina president has confirmed Cuadardo has asked to leave the club....

Can you name a better LB under the age of 20 in world football ? Because that's how Neymar was perceived at a similar age.

60 PL appearances before his 19th birthday.

PL team of the year 13/14.

Wheres you're evidence to discredit the claim ?

Laporte is 20, though he may end up playing CB...

I still reckon that for the amount of service we will get from Shaw it is good value, taking into account he has easily 10+ years top flight football in him and the way the market is going...

Shaw is a good deal IMO

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Sky sports apparently reporting Fiorentina president has confirmed Cuadardo has asked to leave the club....

Has wing back written all over him!

Would love to see him in a Utd shirt

• Advertisement

Not quite ninja, but yes it was edited a minute before your retort was posted which explains why you found my post so outrageous. Clearly I meant in his position.

Definitely in his position.

Phil Jones was a beast at Blackburn though and he's stalled (through mismanagement I'd argue).

Shaw is a great prospect but there's no guarantee that he'll end up being "the real deal".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,833 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Lord TSC wrote: »

Barca v Utd face off then.

He seems more suited to 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 systems than Di Maria.

Shaw is a good deal IMO

That really remains to be seen.

He could be a Paolo Maldini type character (i.e. our left back for 15 years).

He could also be an Alan Hutton type character (i.e. crap).

He could be a Phil Jones type character (i.e. a case of "what might have been") - Admittedly Phil Jones has time to "make it".

dahat wrote: »
    Barca v Utd face off then.

He seems more suited to 3-5-2 and 3-4-3 systems than Di Maria.

Is he any good at defending? I only saw him in the world cup and he looked more like Ronaldinho than Maldini.

General queation:

Have we heard anymore about United actually having an interest in buying him. All I have read so far is that the club would sell.

Live at the minute - I for one are very happy that this one got away for 15 million.

Live at the minute - I for one are very happy that this one got away for 15 million.

He got a 5 year deal out if them as well, I doubt United would have offered that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,756 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Graham Hunter when asked about Di Maria and Vidal to United, gave the very honest answer of "I don't know...yet"
    Same as the rest of us, at least he didn't make it up.

That really remains to be seen.

He could be a Paolo Maldini type character (i.e. our left back for 15 years).

He could also be an Alan Hutton type character (i.e. crap).

He could be a Phil Jones type character (i.e. a case of "what might have been") - Admittedly Phil Jones has time to "make it".

I dont really understand this kind of argument.

Shaw is a good deal. £27m for a player at 19 and is already among the best in his position in the Premier league is good business.

If we signed Vidal for £40m most people would argue its a good deal, Vidal could go on to have trouble with is knee or only give us 5 years of service but that wouldn't take away from the fact the getting him for £40m was a good deal.

Graham Hunter when asked about Di Maria and Vidal to United, gave the very honest answer of "I don't know...yet"
    Same as the rest of us, at least he didn't make it up.
    Ya not one journalist seems to know anything - it's like camp United has been totally shutdown and nothing is getting out - the difference from last year is remarkable.

DM-ICE wrote: »
    He got a 5 year deal out if them as well, I doubt United would have offered that.

Great deal for Arsenal and the player, he possibly wont even be first choice at Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Re. Cuadrado and Di Maria, do we think it's a matter of 1 or the other or would you say we are looking at both? I'd imagine Di Maria would signal a change to 4-3-3 while Cuadrado would surely 5-3-2 sticking

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement